• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

don't know why i don't post here, since Im a pretty big Lego fan. although maybe its because i don't really have any plans to buy anything but the death star. don't really have enough space with my current collection.

im pretty much exclusively into star wars sets. have some great ones like cloud city, UCS tie intercepter and the old UCS X-Wing.

anyway, maybe ill start posting more.

oh and i hate that i dont have space or tons of money, because the modulars have always looked amazing to me. dat cinema hrrrnnngghh.

Fantomex

A reminder!

QfZHg.jpg

Recorded it for my kid! I was viewing the textures and lighting since I'm startin to learn 3ds Max and it looks very polished. Might have to watch it with him :)

Holy shit at the eBay prices of Nightwing from the old Arkham set. He's hitting $60. In fact the old Arkham is gangbusters right now. Last year around this time it was around $125. It's basically doubled. I would've figured it would be less with the new set out but that seems to have driven the price up.

I was at Target today and they had the Daily Bugle Showdown set and they had a space for the Spider-Cycle set but were sold out of it. I haven't bought a Lego set in quite a while, so looks like I'm in for a long night.

Ponn

Banned

um...I have to change my pants.

And holy cow at the "meh" response for Chima. I really did enjoy the other "clans" I haven't seen before. Hope they get figs but there was something off about the show that seemed very bland or by the numbers.

Ironmask

I'm a big Lego fan as well, but the high prices for sets have me only playing the videogames now.

man, i'm the same as you. The best experience is to get the Creator series, small price, good amount of bricks. you'll have fun building and time by time you'll gain quite a lot of bricks to use for mocks.

Also Amazon is so good at making discount, if you're on europe there's a website that gives you a comparizon of all lego products in the 5 european stores, with current discount and lowest it ever been.

Finally completed my Mini Modular Palace Cinema MOC in the LEGO Digital Designer. (not many great photos of the back of the full sized one, but I don't think there's any major details there)

There are two spots where I had to have the backs of pieces facing outward, but it was because of internal reasons I had to do it that way. They're on both the back sides, so if it's connected they wont show.

This was probably the fastest Mini-Modular MOC that I've done so far, but it still had some tricky parts to figure out, mainly the sign, the indented second floor windows, and the top part. I might try to make the very top part of it more structurally secure, but it shouldn't be too bad even if I leave it the way it is now.
It should be perfectly to scale with the rest of the Mini Modulars. Thankfully some of the pictures of the full sized one included one with it next to other full sized ones so I could get a good size comparison.

Now that I've done this for the Pet Shop, the Town Hall, and now the Cinema, I think I might be ready to Bricklink the pieces for all of them in one go (hopefully cut down on shipping costs by doing fewer bulk orders)!

My daughter and I really enjoy building Lego together but I sense she would rather build something other than Star Wars.

So should I get Mini Modular set or go for the regular one instead? Her b-day is coming up and I was going to surprise her with non-Star Wars set. She used to have a lot of doll house sweet street set when she was younger and I think something like Modular would really be something she would enjoy but man the price on those are just scary.

Man Fred Myers sale really destroy my wallet this month. I think I am going to hold out from now on and buy Lego Star Wars only when they are on sale. They are really over-price for stuff you are getting. If I didn't get all three of these A-wing, Skiff and At-RT for $50.00, I would be really piss at that At-Rt set at 19.99 that set is really way too much for what you get. Today I picked up also Tie, Old Republic assault, and Z-95 for 105 but man I would feel total rip off paying $50.00 for that Z-95.

My daughter and I really enjoy building Lego together but I sense she would rather build something other than Star Wars.

So should I get Mini Modular set or go for the regular one instead? Her b-day is coming up and I was going to surprise her with non-Star Wars set. She used to have a lot of doll house sweet street set when she was younger and I think something like Modular would really be something she would enjoy but man the price on those are just scary.

Man Fred Myers sale really destroy my wallet this month. I think I am going to hold out from now on and buy Lego Star Wars only when they are on sale. They are really over-price for stuff you are getting. If I didn't get all three of these A-wing, Skiff and At-RT for $50.00, I would be really piss at that At-Rt set at 19.99 that set is really way too much for what you get. Today I picked up also Tie, Old Republic assault, and Z-95 for 105 but man I would feel total rip off paying $50.00 for that Z-95.

I would go full modular before the minis.

And have you looked at the Friends line yet? It is rather good.

neonglow

They make more affordable buildings. You should look at the Olivia's House ($70) or Apple Tree House ($40) or any of the other Creator houses. The Mini Modulars aren't really for kids because you have to put together a bunch of 1x1 pieces.

3315-1.jpg

5891-1.jpg

7346-1.jpg

31009-1.jpg

I did check those out, but I think she is a little too old for Friends stuff. She is turning teen this year ... I want something she would display in her room and not hide them away. (Couple years ago she asked me to put away all her Barbie movies and all her Sweet Street stuff because her friends were coming over. Just remember girls are more mean than boys. : ) I didn't really look at those Creator set may be I will check those out. At $150.00 those Modular are pretty expensive.

Are modular set only available at Lego Stores? I don't see them anywhere else.

neonglow

I did check those out, but I think she is a little too old for Friends stuff. She is turning teen this year ... I want something she would display in her room and not hide them away. (Couple years ago she asked me to put away all her Barbie movies and all her Sweet Street stuff because her friends were coming over. Just remember girls are more mean than boys. : ) I didn't really look at those Creator set may be I will check those out. At $150.00 those Modular are pretty expensive.

Are modular set only available at Lego Stores? I don't see them anywhere else.

Modulars are also found on many online stores. The Seaside House at $50 would work for a teenage girl. Each Creator set has instructions for 3 different models.

Rootbeer

Banned
Amazon is having a sale on Chima sets!

The Eagle Intercepter is $26

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8HOX4E/

70003-1.jpg

The rest of the sets here:

Wakz' Pack Tracker - $22
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A850W28/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Lennox' Lion Attack - $20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A850UZC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Cragger’s Command Ship - $65
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A850VO2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Thanks, I was just looking at Wakz earlier when it was slightly discounted and now it's even cheaper! I went ahead and ordered one.

Eagle Interceptor set is already back at MSRP though :/

Going to try and get some better pics up soon. The only disappointment I've had with the Dino sets so far has been the scale of the Raptor Chase jeep. It's not in shot here - my daughter was playing with it at the time - but it's huuuuuuuuge, compared to the other vehicles, to the figures and to the base itself (it takes up nearly half the floorspace inside the base. It's a nice build, and my daughter sailed through it, but it just seems so out of scale with the rest of the sets that it never quite fits in.

Not sure about the vehicles in the T. rex and Triceratops sets as I haven't seen them in person, but they look a bit more in scale (and I'm sure I'll find out soon enough, as she's desperate to get them too... :) )

Ironmask

They make more affordable buildings. You should look at the Olivia's House ($70)

3315-1.jpg

[/IMG]

one vote for olivia's house. Gifted to my daughter for xmas and it's exactly a doll's house with a lot of details (kitchen, bedroom and garden are a blast to build)

edit: didn't read she's quasi a teenager. well i don't know now what to say

Modulars are also found on many online stores. The Seaside House at $50 would work for a teenage girl. Each Creator set has instructions for 3 different models.

Those Creators are really cool especially with ability to transform them. However, those Modula Set are things of beauty, wow at the Emporium. I usually try not to pay attention to none-Star Wars Lego. I might just take her to Lego store and see what pipe her interest.

On another hand, my wife thinks Death Star is pretty cool set to have. Hmm... I hope it will still be available this Christmas.

ghostmind

EDIT: Misread the post originally. oops

But I think so? ghostmind being super deceitful if that;s a poorly labelled moc.

Actually it was posted on a European storefront on a listing for the Tower, so I had some expectation that it was real, but I wasn't 100% sure of course.

I am disappointed as much as anyone that the pic wasn't real.

Deceit was not my intent, and never has been. After two of these threads and thousands of posts, this should be obvious. Which is why I am more than a little shocked that I would be tarred & feathered so quickly.

beje

Banned
The Eagle Creator set arrived today. Really nice, and somehow bigger than I expected. I think I'll dismantle and build the scorpion instead to have it on display in my room.

Anyway, I think I'll refrain myself from buying small box stuff from Amazon again, they squeezed the box into one of their two-DVD cardboard envelopes and it was obviously damaged. Not that I really care but...

Vyroxis

Banned
Oh god, what have I done....

I bought them all Legogaf... All of them.

Super star destroyer. B-wing. X-Wing. Y-wing. Millenium Falcon. Tie Fighter. Death Star. I went all out...

My poor check book....

ruxtpin

Banned

Super star destroyer. B-wing. X-Wing. Y-wing. Millenium Falcon. Tie Fighter. Death Star. I went all out...

My poor check book....

So when should we head to your place to help you with your addiction?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member

My poor check book....

Sounds like me earlier this year, and I'm still putting things together. Mainly cause I still buy new stuff to add to the pile. Congrats!

I'm almost done with the Express Train. It's taking me a while due to life stuff. It's an awesome build, though, and surprisingly quick.

I left out the A-wing also. I had to show some restraint, since I have no idea where to display anything anyways.
Shuttle is departing soon though. If you see it discounted, you really should jump on it. A-wing can wait, although compared to what you just spent it's nothing.

Actually it was posted on a European storefront on a listing for the Tower, so I had some expectation that it was real, but I wasn't 100% sure of course.

I am disappointed as much as anyone that the pic wasn't real.

Deceit was not my intent, and never has been. After two of these threads and thousands of posts, this should be obvious. Which is why I am more than a little shocked that I would be tarred & feathered so quickly.

Don't worry. We didn't mean to seem like we were shooting the messenger.

Those Creators are really cool especially with ability to transform them. However, those Modula Set are things of beauty, wow at the Emporium. I usually try not to pay attention to none-Star Wars Lego. I might just take her to Lego store and see what pipe her interest.

On another hand, my wife thinks Death Star is pretty cool set to have. Hmm... I hope it will still be available this Christmas.

The Creator houses are really special. Big fan of Hillside and Apple Tree House. Seaside wasn't bad, but was definitely a step down from Apple Tree. I do still need to get the new cottage set.

My poor check book....

Good god. That is insane. But as others said, no Imperial Shuttle? If you are serious (and who am I to question someone that just dropped that much money on Star Wars sets) about the Star Wars stuff, get the Imperial Shuttle ASAP. It is out of print now and unavailable from LEGO.com, so get it while you can. But major props on the Best Star.

And allow me to be the first: no R2-D2?

BioHazard

So as someone looking to get into LEGO collecting/building, what are some nice beginner sets more on the cheap end to begin with? I am looking into getting some of those Chima sets that are on sale on Amazon. I wish I could still find a reasonably priced Minecraft one :/

So as someone looking to get into LEGO collecting/building, what are some nice beginner sets more on the cheap end to begin with? I am looking into getting some of those Chima sets that are on sale on Amazon. I wish I could still find a reasonably priced Minecraft one :/

Posted some of the most recommended sets in the OP, in order of price. But you really cannot go wrong with any of the Creator sets. Especially the new ones that just hit. Most of the new ones are under $25 and feature lots of good parts and multiple builds per box.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Finally began sorting my old LEGO from my childhood. One box at a time. I have seen post asking and answers before, but what is the best way to clean these old dirty/dusty LEGO?

They were stores in the attic of my parents garage for about 10 years and sadly some of the tires have melted. Hope there is t a huge amount of destruction.

Anyone?

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

My poor check book....

You Sir are my Hero!

KingGondo

Banned
I can't recommend the Mini Modulars enough. They're what reignited my LEGO hobby.

Top Bottom