• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Even my GF grudgingly acknowledges its beauty ;)
A few days ago I was at the local LEGO shop and, together with an employee, tried to figure out the cheapest way to get all 13 dwarves.
Two conclusions were reached:
1. You need ALL the current sets :(
2. An Unexpected Gathering is by a wide margin the best deal of the bunch :)

Not true, you save $8 by not getting the "Riddle for the Ring set".

Car 2 of Horizon Express completed. So far this set is pretty much a modular building on wheels. Loving it so far.

The main engine car is sleek and cool, and the way you build the undercarriage on both cars is really cool, especially on the first one.

The second car has my only issue so far though. The way the instructions have you do it makes it difficult to attach the roof at the end of it and have it align and connect well. If they simply made you build a bit more of the wall before it connects to the windows, it would be easier and more stable before attaching it to the car.
It is hard to explain, but I will take pictures when I am done and show what I mean.

But so far: A+ set. I would put the main engine as perhaps slightly less than Maersk, mainly because it is not as varied a build. But it is incredibly sleek and is nowhere near the sticker fest that Maersk was. It is simply a different kind of train, and for that I am grateful.
Second car, however, has already put this above Maersk overall. The second and third cars of Maersk were cool but a tad boring after the main engine. Where with Horizon it just keeps on giving.

And before I forget, another big thank you to ChaChaChaChia for the coupon. It saved me $13 off Horizon Express, which essentially paid for gas today.

Glad to help. Enjoy the mini modulars, that one is really great, especially after you have built the larger counterpart. And WOW at all those minifigs o_O

Fowler

So it looks like some people have had problems with the Bag End set?

It turns out for the circular window, some people received the brick on the left causing the window to rattle around a bit. Speculation is that the brick on the right is the one that should have been included.

HK9b7.jpg

This happened to me.

To be honest tho, it wasn't a big deal. After you realise that the instructions are wrong/misleading and the window doesn't fit snugly into the space, it doesn't really make a difference. It looks identical.

And yeah, it rattles around, but... it's not like you're going to swoosh Bag End around, you know?

ghostmind

OK, here's an interesting rumor that I have heard from two sources now.

That "Red Leader" UCS X-wing? What if it was actually a midi-scale X-wing flying down a scale Death Star trench section?

That would better account for another X-wing model being released a year after the last one, and the low price of this particular UCS set ($100-$130).

Take this one with massive grains of salt though, until we get better confirmation or denial.

Well the UCS sand crawler passed cuusoo and is in review now...

it DID? Didn't know that, i don't check on Cuusoo all that often... great news!

@Ghostmind: This COULD be great if true... hmm it also wouldn't make me feel so bad having purchased the last X-Wing a couple weeks ago.

iuuk

But wasn't the old Sandcrawler already a UCS set? I don't think LEGO are going to rerelease old UCS sets, but I sincerely hope so. If they produce this one that leaves the future wide open for a new Falcon.

Edit:

10144 Sandcrawler is a classic Ultimate Collector's Series Star Wars set released in 2005.

That "Red Leader" UCS X-wing? What if it was actually a midi-scale X-wing flying down a scale Death Star trench section?

That would better account for another X-wing model being released a year after the last one, and the low price of this particular UCS set ($100-$130).

Take this one with massive grains of salt though, until we get better confirmation or denial.

I'd buy it!

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Makes me want to build a microscale one. Are there microscale TIE fighters? I have an x-wing and Millenium falcon from polybags

suaveric

Interesting. I just finally finished sorting my Lego last week and I've been sick since Friday so I haven't been able to do much, but this is my first very early MOC (as an adult).

8384659814_35f60d7285.jpg
8384662942_76e29f569a.jpg

I plan on showing off my finished sort one of these days. It took all fall to do.

ghostmind

Congrats to wetwired for his Tumbler currently being the #1 most-supported CUUSOO project his week!

Almost 2/3rds the way to review!

It's a bit of a shame how the CUUSOO set up works, the fact they need to get 10,000 votes is fine. I just don't like the fact that so many can go to review at one time and only one gets picked, with the others thrown out. So one review it might be easier to get through than another.

Must be gutting for those that make it to review with something great, knowing they have no chance because one thing is seen as the favourite.

Can people resubmit?

It's a bit of a shame how the CUUSOO set up works, the fact they need to get 10,000 votes is fine. I just don't like the fact that so many can go to review at one time and only one gets picked, with the others thrown out. So one review it might be easier to get through than another.

Must be gutting for those that make it to review with something great, knowing they have no chance because one thing is seen as the favourite.

Can people resubmit?

I think the entries are considered in groups but each is evaluated on an individual basis. I think the fact that one model has been created for each group of submissions thus far is just a coincidence.

I think the entries are considered in groups but each is evaluated on an individual basis. I think the fact that one model has been created for each group of submissions thus far is just a coincidence.

Ahhh fair enough, hopefully thats the case. For some reason I had the impression they only picked one from each review group.

neonglow

I would be down for this. You could buy a bunch to make a long trench run.

Damnit i REALLY want that Hulk minifig that came in a promo poly bag, but it looks like there is literally NO way of getting him save for buying the minifig itself for like 20 bucks or more on BrickLink :( Come on Lego, make another!

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
So I bought The Ghost Train (9467) on clearance for $55 at Target.

WHAT.

There was a Mining Truck (4202) for $25 as well, but getting the Bank & Money Transfer (3661) for the same clearance price last month was a much better value.

WHAT.

There was a Mining Truck (4202) for $25 as well, but getting the Bank & Money Transfer (3661) for the same clearance price last month was a much better value.
Lucky! It seems like all the Targets around me are selling through their current stock of LEGO.

Their aisles are almost bare except for a few Chima, and the new space ones with a few LOTR and Star Wars.

I haven't been able to find ANY mini-fig bags in the last 4 big stores I've been to. Found some series 8 in a little toy shop but I only got one new guy out of the FIVE I bought. (it was the Diver so it was worth it!)

WHAT.

The walmart where I am living had two Ghost Trains left a few weeks ago at $40 a piece. I had a $50 gift card to Target, so I head on over there to see if I can price match, and no dice. Only at MSRP.

Then after I spend my gift card on some other stuff, I was at Target last night and they had a ton of Batman and Monster Fighter stuff on clearance. Just my luck.

ghostmind

Damn you, at least you got ONE to take those hilarious pics with >:O(

Also: need opinions on Seaside house, it looks pretty great to me at first glance but i rarely hear people talk about it here?

Seaside House is great - love the whole beach setting, but I would try to get it less than MSRP, as I think it was a bit overpriced.

It also complements the Lighthouse nicely.

Fowler

Oh my god I am SO in.

If any of you have a Fred Myers near by they are doing buy two get one free on Lego Star Wars, City, Superhero set. Plus 10% off coupon. I picked up A-wing, Sand skiff and AT-Rt along with 2 mini figs for $54.00. (I got the Plumber guy and Chicken man)

Got a Minecraft set on hold for me. What's the consensus on this set? $45 CDN.

I like it and it's a perfect little display model, but if you don't have to have the box or the Creeper and little Minecraft dude pieces I would suggest Bricklink-ing the pieces and just making a custom one for cheaper.

It's a lot of tile pieces and pretty common bricks, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could just get the parts for cheaper (unless the shipping costs get too crazy).

Alright, time to finish Horizon Express off. I will post impressions when done, and probably pictures tomorrow.

EDIT: Post build impressions.

Fantastic set. Sleek and sexy once done, and lots of neat little techniques as you go along. Truly a small modular building on wheels.

However, after finishing this, my urge to buy tracks and a motor has only grown. Looking at the current City train sets and thinking of getting one of those for the parts and tracks. It seems to be the same price as getting everything separate, and I will also have train chassis plates to make train MOCs.

And I also feel the urge to make a train station now...

Pics to come tomorrow.

ghostmind

Alright, time to finish Horizon Express off. I will post impressions when done, and probably pictures tomorrow.

EDIT: Post build impressions.

Fantastic set. Sleek and sexy once done, and lots of neat little techniques as you go along. Truly a small modular building on wheels.

However, after finishing this, my urge to buy tracks and a motor has only grown. Looking at the current City train sets and thinking of getting one of those for the parts and tracks. It seems to be the same price as getting everything separate, and I will also have train chassis plates to make train MOCs.

And I also feel the urge to make a train station now...

Pics to come tomorrow.

Tis' a slippery slope you tread.

May I suggest:

obexj.jpg

(all the PF parts you need for 10233 - there are two types of battery boxes - the rechargable (pictured above) is far more expensive than the AA version; you'll get most of these with the Cargo or Passenger trains, except for the light kit (and the rechargeable battery pack)

fpYcb.jpg

(looking forward to your take on a train station)

zzFrZ.jpg

ijoaD.jpg

(wish LEGO just sold straight or curved track like they used to, without mixing it in with other tracks)

I just got back from the Bellevue, WA LEGO store and they are renovating it! It was closed down, but thankfully they just moved down the hall until it's done.

Apparently it will be expanded into the empty store next to it, so it will get a lot bigger. I hope they double the size of the Pick-A-Brick wall!

I picked up the Unexpected Journey set and 3 of the Series 9 figures. The first one I opened was actually the one I wanted the most; the Dr. Jekyll+Mr. Hyde one.
I also got the police officer (nicely detailed) and the white/orange space dude (kinda lame TBH). The only ones I really want from the set now are the Space Orc, and the Knight (who looks amazing!). I wouldn't say no to the Chicken suit either.

Top Bottom