• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

neonglow

I just found out that Legend of Chima started out as a Thundercats license. Lego and WB worked together on the project but for whatever reason, WB abandoned it and Lego repurposed it as a new IP.

Here's a Facebook quote from the Thundercats art director, Dan Norton:
Um, I guess we don't have to worry about WB finishing ThunderCats. Seems that Lego has decided to go ahead with their version since WB couldn't work out a deal with them. Look at the Young Lion Prince Laval, no similarities there eh?! That's not a Thunder Tank is it? Hmmmm.... Whaaaatever.

ts.20121207T190018.bio_laval.jpg

lionO_character.png

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77780&#entry1478198

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Haha, every time I see that character I think it's Lion-O. There's a huge model of it at Hamley's and when I walked past I thought "did they make a new Thundercats cartoon or something?" and then realised what it was. I like the design. The minifigs seem pretty fun.

neonglow

Lego losing out on the Thundercats license was for the best since the show got cancelled after a season. That line would have been one and done like the Avatar line. Now Lego can have as many toy waves as it wants.

Nitemare1

I've been thinking about getting the Rankor Pit but every time I pick it up in the store it looks like its not much more than a few walls and the best part is the figs. Is there anything else special about it?

I've been thinking about getting the Rankor Pit but every time I pick it up in the store it looks like its not much more than a few walls and the best part is the figs. Is there anything else special about it?

Seriously, that is why i didn't get it either... same for Jabbas Palace, which i like better than Rancor Pit but somehow it doesn't call out to me like other sets do...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seriously, that is why i didn't get it either... same for Jabbas Palace, which i like better than Rancor Pit but somehow it doesn't call out to me like other sets do...

If you're looking at it thinking 'hmm not much to it', that could be a good candidate for some MOC action

If you're looking at it thinking 'hmm not much to it', that could be a good candidate for some MOC action

eh i don't like mixing licensed content with MOCs so much, i think i prefer them to get the official versions right! MOCing kinda "taints" the original set as it was intended and that in turn annoys the collector in me lol, it's complicated.

For now i keep my MOCing to completely original content.

Fantomex

The Chima show was good I guess. I can see how it was going to be thundercats. I hope I find some Legos at the flea market this weekend.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
This is really fantastic. I love how alive everything feels-clearly made with love.

You are the hero this thread deserves.

Minecraft is about to be VERY widely available. I bought it yesterday and the store I bought it from got 60+ of them on Tuesday. They are getting over a hundred next week.

Edited to insert Minecraft proof! Not entirely sure why I bought it to be honest, but I think it's kind of a neat display piece.
XnZLSl.jpg

PeteZa & I have both raved about Lasting Toys before, so I thought I'd post a couple of shots of it. I feel spoiled having both LT and a Lego store within 10 minutes of each other.

Are the white boxes European ones? They have a ton of SW sets I've not seen before.
T2ExWl.jpg

A healthy collection of Space Police
oEoLjl.jpg

Tons of train tracks, both electrified and not.
W4Yx2l.jpg

All of the holiday sets (note that this was taken before Christmas and they don't think they'll get any more Toy Shop's in now)
FMKQRl.jpg

Indiana Jones, Pharoah's Quest & POTC sets
kIIVkl.jpg

The same wall more recently with Chima stuff
8qa8Vl.jpg

Lots of actual "Brick only" sets like this. They have a massive warehouse in the back that is four times the size of the retail space. I've been back there once and the shelves are glorious. They also have a huge catalog featuring pretty much any part you can imagine, with stock on site for bulk orders.
4JhWHl.jpg

All the current modulars and larger sets (like that weird Town one up top). For exclusives like modulars/mini modulars etc. they tack on an extra $20 because their discount from LEGO itself is reduced.
IsU0rl.jpg

Still lots of Atlantis
Innryl.jpg

Oh sweet lord the wall of polys
Cia4ul.jpg

They also have pretty much every keychain ever made, all issues of that fan-made LEGO magazine....all the books & a huge Technic wall.

Place rules.

Edit:

Awesome choice of rider!

OHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYY GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD. Where is this store?

DJ_Lae

I want that store here.

Lego selection here in Edmonton is garbage. It was awful in Victoria too, but I was expecting an upgrade with more than three times the population (nope).

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So I went ahead and tried the pillowcase full of LEGO in the washing machine technique. It worked out pretty well. There was still soap in a good many of the LEGO but for the most part they were clean. A few needed wiped afterwards, but I will be using this process again.

I might be heading to the Lego Store tomorrow (yeah i know i just went last week but what can i say?)

So i know they have the Fire Brigade in stock... yay or nay? It might go OOP soon...

Who am i kidding really? Of course you guys are gonna say i should get it ;) duh

Naka

I might be heading to the Lego Store tomorrow (yeah i know i just went last week but what can i say?)

So i know they have the Fire Brigade in stock... yay or nay? It might go OOP soon...

Who am i kidding really? Of course you guys are gonna say i should get it ;) duh

The Fire Brigade is 120 on Amazon and Target.com right now and it's still 150 at the LEGO store. So if you want to save some money get it on Amazon.

I completely downsized my collection. Now all I have is the Death Star with tons of extra minifigs and the Jabba Palace/Rancor combo. Also the newer Millenium Falcon. It's kind of nice just maintaining a minimum. and looks much cleaner.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Any news on when that Iron Man poly bag comes out? I imagine there'll be a bunch of IM3 sets in April, so before then? No idea where I could get hold of one here but at least I'll know when to start looking!

ghostmind

Palace Cinema is being officially revealed at Brickfair in about 3-4 hours, so we should be getting the press release and hopefully a designer video shortly after.

Any news on when that Iron Man poly bag comes out? I imagine there'll be a bunch of IM3 sets in April, so before then? No idea where I could get hold of one here but at least I'll know when to start looking!

wait what? didn't know that was supposed to come out...

now you reminded me i'll be getting my THIRD stupid free Chima bag tomorrow if i go and get the Brigade :(((((((((( Maybe i'll hold off till next month lol

lingiii

Banned
Oh man how do you buy Minifigures by the case? I've spent so much getting dupes ( 5 Cyclops, 4 chickens, 0 knights or space orcs :[ ) it'd probably be more effective to go big.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Oh man how do you buy Minifigures by the case? I've spent so much getting dupes ( 5 Cyclops, 4 chickens, 0 knights or space orcs :[ ) it'd probably be more effective to go big.

Look for online lego sellers or bricklink. I got mine for 100 euros from http://www.hetdeensesteentje.nl/nl/product/71000-box-met-60-minifiguren-serie-9/
I'll keep 16, and sell 44 at just 2 euros a piece. This means I ultimately paid 16 euros for 16 minifigures. Which is a pretty damn good deal.

It helps if you can offload the rest to friends/coworkers. Unfortunately this time around there are only 2 instead of 3 complete sets in a box of 60.

Bought a box for series 7, but for series 8 I bought a complete set of 16 from bricklink.

Fantomex

America / Seattle

Do you feel out the bags? For the knight, it's easy because you have to feel a long flat object which is the sword and a bendy square flat object which bends little which is his shield. Also his helmet has a hole in it, like a football helmet since the guard is a seperate part. If your still having trouble getting a figure I can get it for you and mail it. I'm in the states as well.

wetwired

Look for online lego sellers or bricklink. I got mine for 100 euros from http://www.hetdeensesteentje.nl/nl/product/71000-box-met-60-minifiguren-serie-9/
I'll keep 16, and sell 44 at just 2 euros a piece. This means I ultimately paid 16 euros for 16 minifigures. Which is a pretty damn good deal.

It helps if you can offload the rest to friends/coworkers. Unfortunately this time around there are only 2 instead of 3 complete sets in a box of 60.

Bought a box for series 7, but for series 8 I bought a complete set of 16 from bricklink.

I bought 5 boxes (they've not arrived yet, still on their way) I'll keep one set for myself and I've already got buyers for 3 sets and out of the 111 spares I'll have (I'm giving one each of the spares to my daughter and keeping all the spare cops) I only have 7 spares remaining, all of which are the alien avengers, no one seems interested in those it seems.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
From Eurobricks:

10232 Palace Cinema
Ages 16+. 2,194 pieces.
US $149.99 CA $199.99 DE 139,99€ UK 119.99 £ DK 1,099.00 DKK
Build a grand premiere at the Palace Cinema!
It’s premiere night at the Palace Cinema! Illuminate the night sky with the spotlights as the child star arrives in a fancy black limousine! Gather the crowd on the star-studded sidewalk, then head into the detailed lobby with a concession stand and ticket area! Take the grand staircase into the theater with a large screen, movie projector and reclining chairs for 6 minifigures. Introducing the latest addition to the LEGO® Modular Buildings series, the highly detailed, 2-story Palace Cinema corner building. This collectible model features a sidewalk of the stars, brick-built entrance doors, posters, sign frontage, a tower with spires and rooftop decorations. Includes 6 minifigures: child actress, chauffeur, female guest, male guest, photographer and cinema worker.
• Includes 6 minifigures: child star, chauffeur, female guest, male guest, photographer and cinema worker
• Features brick-built entrance doors, posters, sign frontage, tower with spires and rooftop decoration, lobby, concession stand, ticket area, staircase, big screen, projector and reclining seats for 6 minifigures
• Vehicles include classic-style limousine
• Hard-to-find elements include a red baseplate and dark tan, dark red, and gold pieces
• Seat a 6-minifigure audience in the reclining seats!
• Play on the star-studded sidewalk, in the detailed lobby or in the big-screen theater!
• Collect and build an entire town with the LEGO® Modular Buildings collection: 10224 Town Hall, 10218 Pet Shop and 10211 Grand Emporium!
• Palace Cinema measures 15″ (38cm) high, 10″ (25.5cm) wide, and 10″ (25.5cm) deep
• Limousine measures 1.6″ (4cm) high, 5.9″ (15cm) long, and 1.9″ (5cm) wide

Edit: March release, apparently. Gotta start saving!

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
As usual, bamboozled by LEGO pricing/pieces (and of course the currency disparity).

Palace Cinema
2,194 pieces

In the US... $149 - about 7c a brick.
In the UK... £119 - about 5p a brick.

Horizon Express
1,351 pieces

In the US... $129 - about 10c a brick
In the UK... £79 - about 6p a brick

It's cheaper to buy the cinema when I visit the US in March. But the train, after currency conversion, is the same - in fact fractionally more in the US.

Oddballs.

As usual, bamboozled by LEGO pricing/pieces (and of course the currency disparity).

Palace Cinema
2,194 pieces

In the US... $149 - about 7c a brick.
In the UK... £119 - about 5p a brick.

Horizon Express
1,351 pieces

In the US... $129 - about 10c a brick
In the UK... £79 - about 6p a brick

It's cheaper to buy the cinema when I visit the US in March. But the train, after currency conversion, is the same - in fact fractionally more in the US.

Oddballs.

Try living in Australia.

mrkgoo

I was gratefully gifted the jabba set and while it's really not much, it was surprisingly fun to build. It's my first real set in some time so maybe I'm just easily excited. I feel kind of obligated to get the rancor set now.

I feel the licensed sets are really expensive.

Top Bottom