• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO GAF |OT2|: Building Dreams. Demolishing Wallets

Palace Cinema info getting out.

The set will have 2,194 pieces and will cost US $149.99 / CA $199.99 / DE 139,99€ / UK 119.99 £ / DK 1,099.00 DKK.

From http://www.fbtb.net/2013/01/18/lego-reveals-10232-palace-cinema/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/sets/72157632555416298/

tumblr_m5mzi5LXbk1rud755o1_500.gif

Philia

I finally broke down all of my lego into separate bags. I'm going for a MOC build, and is wondering where is the best place to look up lego building blueprints?

ghostmind

I'm hoping for more information regarding the screen/posters in the designer video. Also, the Brick Show is onsite at BrickFair, and will providing their own coverage, probably later tonight.

Hey guys, so I randomly remembered earlier today that at one point I had a ninja lego set in my childhood. I remember it was a set that had two red ninjas and like a two or three tier tower. The ninjas had mask/helmet things that on the back also had a slot for the swords they came with.

Just wondering if anyone could help me out as to how old the set is and everything? When I try and look for it all I get is Ninjago stuff. Which is cool, but not the same. I'd like to get a nostalgia blast.

If you can't get me there directly, could you point me toward a site that could help? Thank you!

golem

Hey guys, so I randomly remembered earlier today that at one point I had a ninja lego set in my childhood. I remember it was a set that had two red ninjas and like a two or three tier tower. The ninjas had mask/helmet things that on the back also had a slot for the swords they came with.

Just wondering if anyone could help me out as to how old the set is and everything? When I try and look for it all I get is Ninjago stuff. Which is cool, but not the same. I'd like to get a nostalgia blast.

If you can't get me there directly, could you point me toward a site that could help? Thank you!

Maybe this one? http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=3052-1

It should be on Brickset somewhere..

Just finished the Arctic Batman vs. Mr Freeze. Was a nice quick build. A few too many stickers though. Really the one on the cockpit glass is totally unnecessary.

Probably gonna head to the Lego store tomorrow and pick up a new $20ish set. And some minifigs if they have them.

SpeedNut

Someone forgot to tell me that these minifigs are the crack cocaine of Legos...

8394298868_cef5d72fd1_z.jpg

As you can see I fail in the bag feeling department...

8394299270_de4e4461f3_z.jpg

Not sure if I got lucky on the 8s or actual skill, but I'll take it for my first go at it.

Philia

Wow. That tree! And roof! And brickwork. Gorgeous.

And I thought I recognized the name. This guy consistently puts out the most stunning MOCs. He's a definite favorite, and very inspiring. His Legoput Lane and Castle collections are not to be missed.

Man... I hate how as soon as I browsed through that awesomeness... all of my ideas for a MOC just seemed super tacky in comparison. Gosh...

Have you tried rebrickable.com? You can add all your sets and find out what other sets/models you can build.

Someone forgot to tell me that these minifigs are the crack cocaine of Legos...

[IG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8086/8394298868_cef5d72fd1_z.jpg[/IMG]

Not sure if I got lucky on the 8s or actual skill, but I'll take it for my first go at it.

I have almost all of Series 5 and 7. That Rocker Girl is possibly my favourite.

Also, try posting on Craigslist and looking for any people interested in swaps. I had a few replies.

ghostmind

Went to the LEGO store and tried using dot codes again. The lighting in there just isn't good enough to make them out well, and I ended up with 3 Caesars, another Cyclops and another Policeman. I did get 5 more unique figs, so 6 more remaining.

Also watched the Chima show. It feels even more geared to kids than Ninjago did. LEGO also left out the best tribes from this year
(Rhino, Bear and Gorilla!)
, but what I found myself wanting most from the show was
what they call "Legendary Beasts", in other words animals that chose not to expose themselves to Chi and evolve. This episode had a LEGO moulded version of a lion, and it looked great... made me want that zoo again.

This is LEGO's story on the development of the Chima theme:

The original concept was called Animal Kingdoms and proposed: what if the old school Castle factions such as Lion Knights and Wolfpack Renegades were actual lions and wolves? What if they developed tech in the future and went to war? Various characters were developed and focus-tested on the target audience of 7-10 year old boys. As Mark related, the upshot was “crocodiles and lions are cool. Alligators and lizards are not.” I’m just impressed boys know the difference between a crocodile and an alligator. Minifigs were intended to also inhabit this world, but it was quickly realised that they sidelined the animal characters, detracting from the concept.

rataven

Man... I hate how as soon as I browsed through that awesomeness... all of my ideas for a MOC just seemed super tacky in comparison. Gosh...

I know the feeling. My MOCs haven't been much to shout home about in recent years. Feels like I don't have the time to really detail them out, and my Lego backlog is bad enough as it is. But I do like browsing through MOCs for inspiration just the same. And I always seem to stumble across this particular guy. His sets are so eye-catching and artful, and he uses some really clever techniques too.

And I'm sure your MOCs are great! Everyone has to start somewhere, and as long as they're meaningful to you, I think that counts them as a success.

Philia

Thanks! I appreciate that. I DO like looking at sets for collection of ideas. I really like his building wall textures a lot. That's one thing he's successful for besides all that lush green. :D

But that's the thing, I like building stuff but interior designs appeals to me more for some reason. Probably the lack of in normal sets these days.

I work somewhere that occasionally gets LEGO sets, but never anything substantial. But today I had a few calls of frantic mothers trying to find anything Chima, which of course we didn't get nor will likely get.

But the calls have started...it begins.

The Palace Cinema designer video is up, but so far it is on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=680484152731&set=vb.207089142656976&type=3&theater

No answers on the sticker question...

Printed tiles for the sidewalk. That is answered. But the posters and screen are not. Judging by the fact that the posters are repeated on the inside of the theater I am inclined to think they are printed.

And those tall 1x2xwhatever pieces that are clear? I want more of them!

And knowing it is an Astrid model (and an intern filling in for some parts) explains a lot. She did Town Hall, which looks awesome once done but is meh compared to the other buildings. My expectations are tempered for this now, but it is still a day one purchase.
Hopefully we get Jamie or whomever it was that designed Haunted House to do the next one. But Jamie did Horizon Express (right?), so he is still kicking ass over there.

EDIT:

Press Release said:
10232 Palace Cinema
Ages 16+. 2,194 pieces.
US $149.99 CA $199.99 DE 139,99€ UK 119.99 £ DK 1,099.00 DKK
Build a grand premiere at the Palace Cinema!
It’s premiere night at the Palace Cinema! Illuminate the night sky with the spotlights as the child star arrives in a fancy black limousine! Gather the crowd on the star-studded sidewalk, then head into the detailed lobby with a concession stand and ticket area! Take the grand staircase into the theater with a large screen, movie projector and reclining chairs for 6 minifigures. Introducing the latest addition to the LEGO® Modular Buildings series, the highly detailed, 2-story Palace Cinema corner building. This collectible model features a sidewalk of the stars, brick-built entrance doors, posters, sign frontage, a tower with spires and rooftop decorations. Includes 6 minifigures: child actress, chauffeur, female guest, male guest, photographer and cinema worker.
• Includes 6 minifigures: child star, chauffeur, female guest, male guest, photographer and cinema worker
• Features brick-built entrance doors, posters, sign frontage, tower with spires and rooftop decoration, lobby, concession stand, ticket area, staircase, big screen, projector and reclining seats for 6 minifigures
• Vehicles include classic-style limousine
• Hard-to-find elements include a red baseplate and dark tan, dark red, and gold pieces
• Seat a 6-minifigure audience in the reclining seats!
• Play on the star-studded sidewalk, in the detailed lobby or in the big-screen theater!
• Collect and build an entire town with the LEGO® Modular Buildings collection: 10224 Town Hall, 10218 Pet Shop and 10211 Grand Emporium!
• Palace Cinema measures 15″ (38cm) high, 10″ (25.5cm) wide, and 10″ (25.5cm) deep
• Limousine measures 1.6″ (4cm) high, 5.9″ (15cm) long, and 1.9″ (5cm) wide

Note what is missing: Fire Brigade. All the confirmation needed that if anyone has any interest in it to jump immediately. It is a goner. And the moment they put Fire Brigade on the "Retiring Soon" page, it will sell out and skyrocket in price. You all have been warned.

I work somewhere that occasionally gets LEGO sets, but never anything substantial. But today I had a few calls of frantic mothers trying to find anything Chima, which of course we didn't get nor will likely get.

But the calls have started...it begins.

Hear anything from LEGO on the job you applied for?

Well, good luck. My wife is a nurse (think you said yours was going through nursing school) and even though I don't make as much as her, I enjoy my job. Hope the same for you too.
Not nursing school. Finishing her phd in chemistry. About another year to go for her.
She is the brains. I am the idiot with an art degree that I never use.

And the VW camper I paid for at the Lego store on Monday has shipped and is scheduled to deliver Saturday. Let's see if those (insert expletive of your choice here) at my local FedEx branch actually deliver tomorrow. If they do, my night tomorrow night and most of Sunday is determined.

Note what is missing: Fire Brigade. All the confirmation needed that if anyone has any interest in it to jump immediately. It is a goner. And the moment they put Fire Brigade on the "Retiring Soon" page, it will sell out and skyrocket in price. You all have been warned.

Fury is $73 on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Q0OV4I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

741 pieces so pretty good for a newer SW. I don't even watch whatever this is from but it looks cool so I'm picking it up.

Man you guys, you just managed to absolutely kill this month's budget for me. I wasn't planning on buying any more LEGO at all this month after how much the Imperial Shuttle cost, with my plan being to get Fire Brigade next month. But with FB good as dead and that great deal on a ship that I have been eying... Watching a review and seeing how awesome the Darth Malgus minifig is didn't help.

So now I have those two and Minecraft in the mail. My grave is slowly deepening. Grand Emporium is next I imagine, before it can retire...

hmm awesome. only recently moved up here, so I've never even been inside one. I'll have to check it out.

:)

They are having Buy 2 get 1 Free (so if you buy all 3 similar price it's essentially 30% off) Star Wars, Super Heroes sets. Though stock may vary, my local stores were all restock but yesterday when I went they were all pretty depleted. Plus there's a 10% coupon for all toys on their current flyer (till today 1/19).

just got back from the Lego store (again)

Got Fire Brigade just in case and 2 large PAB cups!

Oh and also some CMF series 9, i fear i still have like 3 remaining ones but i will bricklink them later or something...

i´m just geting into the modulad series right now.
whats the best one to get, aka whats the oldest still available model?
should i get the fire brigade or something else?

Just got back from the LEGO store.

I'll do pics later but the PAB has trans-orange cheese wedges and 1x1 trans-red tiles which I really like.

Got some CMF, Star Wars and Technic.

All in a good haul except for forgetting the Chrimbo box I could have filled for free.....

Man you guys, you just managed to absolutely kill this month's budget for me. I wasn't planning on buying any more LEGO at all this month after how much the Imperial Shuttle cost, with my plan being to get Fire Brigade next month. But with FB good as dead and that great deal on a ship that I have been eying... Watching a review and seeing how awesome the Darth Malgus minifig is didn't help.
As soon as I bought it, I went to watch videos of it to psych myself up about the unexpected $73 impulse buy, and people are saying as great as it is, it's only worth $50. But it's 740+ pieces, so at 10 cents a brick as the standard guide, it seemed like a good deal.

As cool as the Fire Brigade looks, and as good a deal it is right now on amazon, i've just never had an interest in firehouses, and it's big and there will be more sets in the future, so I'm going to pass and forever somewhat regret it.

i´m just geting into the modulad series right now.
whats the best one to get, aka whats the oldest still available model?
should i get the fire brigade or something else?

Fire Brigade. It is still available, but missing from all promotional materials for some time, so it is a goner sooner or later. After that Grand Emporium is on the way out.

ghostmind

According to the Brick Show guys, who were at BrickFair last night for the unveiling, the movie posters and screen are stickers for the Palace Cinema.

ghostmind

And knowing it is an Astrid model (and an intern filling in for some parts) explains a lot. She did Town Hall, which looks awesome once done but is meh compared to the other buildings. My expectations are tempered for this now, but it is still a day one purchase.
Hopefully we get Jamie or whomever it was that designed Haunted House to do the next one. But Jamie did Horizon Express (right?), so he is still kicking ass over there.

I had heard rumor that a brand new designer made this, which must have been the intern. Makes me wonder how much Astrid actually did on the set.

Jamie is the manager for Creator Expert (previously LEGO Direct) and I think LEGO Creator as well, so he probably has less time to develop sets himself, but at least we still get things like the Horizon Express from him.

EDIT: And to be clear, I still think that the Palace Cinema is a great set, and I personally think I am going to enjoy building it more than the Town Hall, but I don't think it will be up there with the Pet Shop, Fire Brigade or Green Grocer.

Top Bottom