• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ryuuroden

Update on the start of my Orthanc MOC. Much is still in my head but I think I have found the version of the first level I wanted. You can see the size difference between the two similar bases for the side piece.

14624973458_883c0b4391_k.jpg

14624957319_2309317c52_k.jpg

I am SO DAMN HAPPY!!!!!!!

They gotta use the old molds, right?? So we're gonna get repaints of the dinos they made before in Jurassic Park colors!?! No more debating with myself if I should pay $50 for a single T-Rex!?! I AM SO HAPPY AHHHHHHHH

So let's see, of repaints I see them using

T-Rex
Velociraptor
Pteranodon
Hopefully Triceratops

I can't imagine they wouldn't make a new mould for the Demonowhateversaur. What else do you think? Stegosaur? Whatever the water dino is called?

It would be SO COOL if, like they did when Toy Story 3 came out and they did some classic Toy Story sets, they also made a couple Jurassic Park sets and we got a Lego Ford Explorer like someone else suggested.

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

PalaceBrother said:
nicoga3000 said:
Go to store for brick separators, come home with more stuff.
I would have sent you one for free. They multiply like rabbits.

I've been meaning to ask, how many brick seperators does everyone have? I think I have like... 9?

Ryuuroden

I am SO DAMN HAPPY!!!!!!!

They gotta use the old molds, right?? So we're gonna get repaints of the dinos they made before in Jurassic Park colors!?! No more debating with myself if I should pay $50 for a single T-Rex!?! I AM SO HAPPY AHHHHHHHH

So let's see, of repaints I see them using

T-Rex
Velociraptor
Pteranodon
Hopefully Triceratops

I can't imagine they wouldn't make a new mould for the Demonowhateversaur. What else do you think? Stegosaur? Whatever the water dino is called?

It would be SO COOL if, like they did when Toy Story 3 came out and they did some classic Toy Story sets, they also made a couple Jurassic Park sets and we got a Lego Ford Explorer like someone else suggested.

FFFFFFFFFFFFF

I've been meaning to ask, how many brick seperators does everyone have? I think I have like... 9?

I have a shoebox full

ghostmind

I remain optimistic, but cautiously so, regarding Jurassic World LEGO. Some sites are throwing around the word "confirmed" a bit too easily, when the only thing we have to go by is an interview comment by Chris Pratt. I'm waiting for something a bit more official than that before I get excited about the possibility.

Experien

Just got back from BrickFair, it was pretty nice. Bought some custom mini-fig weapons/armor but everything else was crazy priced! And the price gouges for minifigs were ridiculous. They had a few Dinos but not a green t-Rex. There were 2 custom sets I wanted to buy but was too poorly priced. One was a Ripely in powerloader vs Queen...242 lego (and other similar building bricks?) for $125. The other was the Aliens APC with one marine, one alien (not sure how many pieces) for $250. I kind of scoffed at the price but boy I was tempted to splurge.

I remain optimistic, but cautiously so, regarding Jurassic World LEGO. Some sites are throwing around the word "confirmed" a bit too easily, when the only thing we have to go by is an interview comment by Chris Pratt. I'm waiting for something a bit more official than that before I get excited about the possibility.

The things I'm holding out hope on are, I think Chris Pratt would know the difference between Lego and Kree-o, and that article posted earlier said that Kree-o's contract with Universal expires this year. Lego has a history with Universal too so I really, really, really hope that the reports are true.

Assuming it's true, I wonder when we'd first see them? If Pratt just OK'd his figure, and the movie comes out next summer, I'd imagine we'd start hearing more about them or seeing leaks around... what, the end of the year?

ghostmind

The things I'm holding out hope on are, I think Chris Pratt would know the difference between Lego and Kree-o, and that article posted earlier said that Kree-o's contract with Universal expires this year. Lego has a history with Universal too so I really, really, really hope that the reports are true.

Assuming it's true, I wonder when we'd first see them? If Pratt just OK'd his figure, and the movie comes out next summer, I'd imagine we'd start hearing more about them or seeing leaks around... what, the end of the year?

It is is the real deal, then LEGO may able to keep the wraps on it until Toy Fair in mid-February.

Speaking of Pratt - GotG rocks! After watching the movie, we went to the LEGO store and my son chose the Knowhere Escape set (his favorite character is Groot).

mojiimbo

Go to store for brick separators, come home with more stuff.
The red excavator in the set is pretty cool. The tracks have a really nice action on them(I've only built sets with that cheap 1-piece rubber track before) and it has a nice feature where you can articulate the arm with a knob or switch.

Did you see the new $250 remote control Volvo wheel loader?

Ryuuroden

Did a little more work since last post. did some mock-ups of more sides of the base of Orthanc to give it a more 3 dimensional feel. Definitely realized I need to put in yet another bricklink order. Fortunately, I do not think the rest of the tower will burn through bricks like the base will. This is just a off the cuff estimate but I am looking at burning through at least 5000 black bricks of various types just to get that hight. This is mostly due to SNOT work to give it those big curvy sidewalls with lots of depth. All the black plates its using is insane as well. I am glad I am doing an open back like LEGO did. I've already used at least 1000 1x2,1x4,1x6, 1x8, 1x10, and 1x12 black plates on what I have done so far as well as a ton of 6x8 and up sized ones for the baseplate to attach to side of tower. This is even with the fact that every chance I can I use regular 1x? bricks with the 1x? plates to create the ridges. The worst thing is and the biggest problem probably is that I've already used up an entire shoebox full of 1x12 black bricks. I need to find at least 200 more for cheap just for the base, probably double that, my caculations have been off each time and ive been doubling all my calculations lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
The red excavator in the set is pretty cool. The tracks have a really nice action on them(I've only sets with that cheap 1-piece rubber tracks before) and it has a nice feature where you can articulate the arm with a knob or switch.

Did you see the new $250 remote control Volvo wheel loader?

I did. Since I bought the Mk2 crane and the Crawler, I felt that I could hold off on that for a while. No rush since it's fresh out and not at risk of going OOP. I read a review of it on Eurobricks and am excited to get it eventually, but it's below the Racer and Cargo Plane for now.

Rootbeer

Banned
Dat GotG movie guys :3

And my theater gave away a LEGO GotG flier when i bought my ticket (no minifig, drat) -and- showed a LEGO GotG ad before the trailers. LEGO all up in dis.

I already own (proudly) all 3 GotG sets! I adore them, but with more appreciation after seeing it on the big screen. I really thought about seeing it twice but... got so much else to do. I might see it a second time next weekend after TMNT.

In the mail today I got my new 20% off any regular priced item at TRU coupon (as mentioned a couple days ago in this thread). Now to decide what to buy with it... expires on the 18th.

Also... new Dino sets (Jurassic World)... dream coming true. Better start saving now... those dino sets have a high price-per-piece ratio thanks to the bigfigs.

Xater

Did a little more work since last post. did some mock-ups of more sides of the base of Orthanc to give it a more 3 dimensional feel. Definitely realized I need to put in yet another bricklink order. Fortunately, I do not think the rest of the tower will burn through bricks like the base will. This is just a off the cuff estimate but I am looking at burning through at least 5000 black bricks of various types just to get that hight. This is mostly due to SNOT work to give it those big curvy sidewalls with lots of depth. All the black plates its using is insane as well. I am glad I am doing an open back like LEGO did. I've already used at least 1000 1x2,1x4,1x6, 1x8, 1x10, and 1x12 black plates on what I have done so far as well as a ton of 6x8 and up sized ones for the baseplate to attach to side of tower. This is even with the fact that every chance I can I use regular 1x? bricks with the 1x? plates to create the ridges. The worst thing is and the biggest problem probably is that I've already used up an entire shoebox full of 1x12 black bricks. I need to find at least 200 more for cheap just for the base, probably double that, my caculations have been off each time and ive been doubling all my calculations lol.

That's a crazy amount of bricks, but it looks great!

ruxtpin

Banned
So no spoilers, as I haven't seen GotG yet - but it sounds like I'll probably want to pick up all the Lego sets after I've seen the movie from the response to it so far. I had a free ticket to go see Dawn of the Apes earlier, which was surprisingly good. I'm super psyched if we get official Lego sets for the new JP movie.

wetwired

My birthday today, not that it was a surprise, I bought the presents. My kids got me the lego movie on blu ray and my wife got me the parisian restaurant. Looking forward to putting that together.

Cade and I did another video review for 1980s something, Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Hopefully the quality should have improved since the last one, again feedback of any kind is welcome.

My birthday today, not that it was a surprise, I bought the presents. My kids got me the lego movie on blu ray and my wife got me the parisian restaurant. Looking forward to putting that together.

Cade and I did another video review for 1980s something, Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP!

Hopefully the quality should have improved since the last one, again feedback of any kind is welcome.

Happy birfday! August, the best birthday month. Mine is next Saturday.

Ryuuroden

Happy Birthday and wow at not having experienced Parisian Restaurant yet. You're in for a treat.

Update on Orthanc yet again:

I added the stair side as a partial build. Nothing is near finished even on the SNOT work. Just doing it to get a better feeling for what I need to do as well as for how I need to build the interior walls in order for it all to attach to. I didn't want to do that until I was comfortable that I have the correct exterior dimensions. I still have two full 24 stud length side walls to do, one for each side. Included the Hard cider bottle and the minifig for size visual aids.

Inspector Space Time LEGO Ideas Set

Just saw this on the Ideas website.

FYI: Inspector Space Time is TV show's "Community" parody verison of Dr. WHO. The figures are Abed, Troy, Jeff and Annie in their respected personas.

This is meta on so many levels.

What happened with Legos, they used to be simple. Oh come on, I know you know what I’m talking about, Legos were simple. Something happened out here while I was inside. Harry Potter Legos, Star Wars Legos, complicated kits, tiny little blocks. I mean I’m not saying its bad I just wanna know what happened.
-Prof. Cane

Ravek

Banned
What happened with Legos, they used to be simple. Oh come on, I know you know what I’m talking about, Legos were simple. Something happened out here while I was inside. Harry Potter Legos, Star Wars Legos, complicated kits, tiny little blocks. I mean I’m not saying its bad I just wanna know what happened.
-Prof. Cane

This is wrinkling my brain.

Btw: the four exo-suits my friend ordered will be at her house in Thursday!

Ainaurdur

Happy Birthday Wetwired!

I added the stair side as a partial build. Nothing is near finished even on the SNOT work. Just doing it to get a better feeling for what I need to do as well as for how I need to build the interior walls in order for it all to attach to. I didn't want to do that until I was comfortable that I have the correct exterior dimensions. I still have two full 24 stud length side walls to do, one for each side. Included the Hard cider bottle and the minifig for size visual aids.

I am loving what you are doing with it so far. Jealous of what it will be like when finished, not jealous of whatever amount of money it will end up costing.
And Hornsby's... how I miss it. The stores near me stopped carrying it a couple years ago for some reason.

wetwired

Happy Birthday and wow at not having experienced Parisian Restaurant yet. You're in for a treat.

My mind boggles at the amount of black you've already used let alone what you'd need to complete it. All that black is probably what I have..total.

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Happy Birthday!

I got the restaurant for my birthday back in June. Best bday present ever.

Top Bottom