• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

got Goblin King finally off ebay so I can rest easy now :) Wasnt as cheap as most got it at but still way under the MSRP.

I'll be back in my hometown in the next week or so and they have a Lego store. I'll finally be able to PAB it up since I've never done it. Besides stacking what are some good tips? Mostly looking to get alot of greens and browns.

Stacking stuff together, but making sure it is easy to disassemble once you get home is the key. For instance, you would not want to stack tons of 4x6 plates together, because separating them would be a pain in the rear. However, stack them with a one row of studs offset between each one, and it gets easier.
Or combine bricks to take up space, but make it easy. I got a ton of 4x6 plates and a ton of 1x8 tiles in one cup by putting two of the plates side by side, then having 6 of the 1x8 plates go across them. Took up the least amount of space possible, and was super easy to take apart at home.

With slopes, make stacks then put two stacks together at alternating directions. Basically one is upside down and fills in the gaps made by the slopes.

use tiny pieces like 1x1 stuff to fill in the empty space in the cup.

@Ghostmind: nice to see the Vaporizer get some love around here, i feel that within the Galaxy Squad support group (lol) it is still pretty underrated as everyone keeps gushing about the Obliterator and the Crawler ;)

To me it looks like a cross between a classic space vehicle and a vehicle that you would see on something like a Mass Effect Lego theme. Dat pulpy retro space feel :)

Whenever there is a Barnes and Noble coupon, use it and snag them from there. They usually have the entire in print line available, and at MSRP.

Which designs was she interested in?

She's from NYC and she pointed out the Empire State Building initially. I think she would like the bigger sets too but I'm not that sure she'd be into something that could take a while to build or would need a decent amount of space on her already cluttered desks.

Besides she was an architecture major at one point and it might bring back her traumatic memories of late night model building lol.

I didn't even know BN does coupons haha. Will keep on the lookout tho.

Stacking stuff together, but making sure it is easy to disassemble once you get home is the key. For instance, you would not want to stack tons of 4x6 plates together, because separating them would be a pain in the rear. However, stack them with a one row of studs offset between each one, and it gets easier.
Or combine bricks to take up space, but make it easy. I got a ton of 4x6 plates and a ton of 1x8 tiles in one cup by putting two of the plates side by side, then having 6 of the 1x8 plates go across them. Took up the least amount of space possible, and was super easy to take apart at home.

With slopes, make stacks then put two stacks together at alternating directions. Basically one is upside down and fills in the gaps made by the slopes.

use tiny pieces like 1x1 stuff to fill in the empty space in the cup.

Sweet, thanks, I'll be going in with this mentality in mind :)

got Goblin King finally off ebay so I can rest easy now :) Wasnt as cheap as most got it at but still way under the MSRP.

I'll be back in my hometown in the next week or so and they have a Lego store. I'll finally be able to PAB it up since I've never done it. Besides stacking what are some good tips? Mostly looking to get alot of greens and browns.

- Fill the cup with small items like 1x1 round plates to fill in the gaps. I like the trans blue ones for fillers as can never have too much of those to use as water.
- All the times I've filled a cup, they don't require you to fully close the lid so you can go a bit over.
- You can fit 4 2x4 bricks in the lid. Or any variation as long as it's 2 bricks high and 4x4 stud square.
- Fill the bottom with small items to fill in the bottom sides.

wetwired

LEGO-Lone-Ranger-79108-Stagecoach-Escape-Pre.jpg

Put together this set today as it arrived while I was at work (along with iron man mansion attack and a set of flexible train tracks)

It's on the shortlist for set of the year for me, great little set, love the articulation of the carriage and the wheels. The biggest downside though is the sheer size of the carriage compared to the horses, if it was a brick or 2 lower it wouldn't look so odd but as it stands the horses look like miniatures compared to the carriage. Still worth picking up as it's a great build with some good pieces and minifigs.

She's from NYC and she pointed out the Empire State Building initially. I think she would like the bigger sets too but I'm not that sure she'd be into something that could take a while to build or would need a decent amount of space on her already cluttered desks.

Besides she was an architecture major at one point and it might bring back her traumatic memories of late night model building lol.

I didn't even know BN does coupons haha. Will keep on the lookout tho.

What a coincidence. I got one in email this morning. And the good news is, it is a generic code, so anyone can use it.

25% off of any one item in Barnes and Noble stores.

Put together this set today as it arrived while I was at work (along with iron man mansion attack and a set of flexible train tracks)

It's on the shortlist for set of the year for me, great little set, love the articulation of the carriage and the wheels. The biggest downside though is the sheer size of the carriage compared to the horses, if it was a brick or 2 lower it wouldn't look so odd but as it stands the horses look like miniatures compared to the carriage. Still worth picking up as it's a great build with some good pieces and minifigs.

Yeah, that set was great. Nice and compact, but fun to build and lots of play features. One of the best bang for buck sets.

I have yet to build the other bigger Lone Ranger sets, but I targeted this as the Lone Ranger set to get if you only wanted to get one set of that theme. Set doesn't disappoint. Best value and a great display piece. If you see this set for 30% or more off, you should buy this set.

Yes, the size ratio does take away from the otherwise awesome looking set. You could always make brick built horses. :)

CUUSOO has updated their guidelines, which will affect not only future projects, but existing ones as well.

http://blog.lego.cuusoo.com/2013/12/12/updates-guidelines-house-rules-terms-service/

"Brick-Based Construction Toy Projects Only"
"One Project = One LEGO Set"
"Only Use Authentic LEGO Parts"
I thought these were always the case. I thought some just put multiple sets in one project just to promote it in hopes one of them make it.

They all make sense. I'm surprised it took this long regarding the ruling of no minifig only projects. The no Company Logos and or Team Mascots explain some of the rejections the last review. Obviously, the past review led to many of these clarifications and new guidelines.

"Who are you gonna build? Ghostbusters!" Ghostbusters still meets requirements. That set must be made!

Kuntz

And here we go again

Had to buy some food, I'm back with fire dpt cat-in-a-tree (60001) and a truck (600017).

Please, small shops where I buy food, Stop selling Lego I don't have, I WILL BUY THEM ALL.

Judging from the past experiences in this thread, there's no escape.

I shall embrace my fate then...

So I know this really doesn't stack up to what most here do with their collections, but I'm pretty proud of this so far:
Daily Bugle showdown + Forest Police Station + Arkham City + a little cabin thing I made
Close-up of the bottom Daily Bugle floor turned into a Pretzel shop(pretty poorly) + the Scottish man mugging the stuntguy in the alley. Gwen Stacy is also investigating the Spider-Man on the second floor.

My little Star Wars thing as well:
TIE Fighter + Guards + control room(left) + the Swoop Bike garage
Close up of the repair shop.
My little army of minifigures. Haven't really figured out what all to do with them, and don't really have parts to do much anyway.

Overall, I'm pretty proud of it all and have been debating whether or not to share it for a while.

- Fill the cup with small items like 1x1 round plates to fill in the gaps. I like the trans blue ones for fillers as can never have too much of those to use as water.
- All the times I've filled a cup, they don't require you to fully close the lid so you can go a bit over.
- You can fit 4 2x4 bricks in the lid. Or any variation as long as it's 2 bricks high and 4x4 stud square.
- Fill the bottom with small items to fill in the bottom sides.

Even more awesome advice as well :D

The clear 1x1s got water is a good idea plus the 4x4/ at the lid I never would've thought of, thanks

Rootbeer

Banned
i need to get my butt to a lego store :) Still never been to one, sigh. I'll wait a bit longer for more 2014 sets to make their way onto their shelves, then hopefully plan a pilgrimage out to the nearest one (about 1 hour train ride away :p not that bad!)

i need to get my butt to a lego store :) Still never been to one, sigh. I'll wait a bit longer for more 2014 sets to make their way onto their shelves, then hopefully plan a pilgrimage out to the nearest one (about 1 hour train ride away :p not that bad!)

1 hour train ride is not that bad. Only problem would be taking up so many extra seats with all the sets you would buy.

Mistel

Banned
Have any 2014 sets filtered out yet? That technic hot rod looks great along with the construction crew.

I didn't see any at yet usually some appear in shops before Christmas.

Jimbro72

Have any 2014 sets filtered out yet? That technic hot rod looks great along with the construction crew.

I didn't see any at yet usually some appear in shops before Christmas.

Toys-r-us seems to be the place where the brand new ones are showing up at. I just stopped at my local one after work today and noticed new Hobbit, Ninjago, Creator and City sets. Despite temptation, I bought nothing as paying full price makes it much easier to pass on them for now.

Walmart has the new Hobbit sets on sale, between 17% and 24% off.

24% off is decent, but seeing how the Hobbit sets aren't in such high demand, I can wait for 30% off or more. I have a HUUUUGE backlog too. If you say 24% off any 2014 Super Hero sets, get outta my way!

I love the those trees. I think I need to get more series 11 elves if I can find them.

I discovered like 10 of those in a drawer last week. I completely forgot that I had been stocking up on them when the series came out.

I'm travelling again next week so maybe the weekend before Christmas will be time to finally build Santa's Shitty* Workshop.

*Due entirely to lousy building skills

Saw this interview posted on Kotaku. PRETTY sure this blows that giant Hogwarts out of the water! Oh, I hadn't actually read it right but this is made by the same person as that Hogwarts! Wonder what giant thing we'll see next...

(Click through to the Flickr gallery with lots more pictures)

rallaren

Ponn

Banned
I really hope they make these new animal creator sets a permanent thing. For $20 bucks each they are both must gets. There are countless others I can think of i'd want. Fruit Bat with a piece of fruit, Shark, Mongoose, insects.

ghostmind

After watching "The Desolation of Smaug", this year's Hobbit sets (and the two "preview" sets from last year) make a lot more sense now.

And I may just get 4 of those "Mirkwood Elves" sets... eep.

Ryuuroden

After watching "The Desolation of Smaug", this year's Hobbit sets (and the two "preview" sets from last year) make a lot more sense now.

And I may just get 4 of those "Mirkwood Elves" sets... eep.

Out of curiosity, how did they not make sense? Have you never read the book?

Jimbro72

Darn, I need it to be discounted on it's own...pity.

Keep an eye on Amazon Warehouse Deals daily. I've seen the Haunted House set pop up on occasion, usually down in the $150ish range. Yeah, it won't be a mint box but its probably the only way you're going to get that set at a discount now. Just keep checking as I don't imagine sets like that last long on there.

ghostmind

JANG reviews a Classic Space set from 1982 - 6950 Mobile Rocket Transport

http://youtu.be/GrXv61I4FpA

I remember this set as one of the last Classic Space kits that I received. Hopefully we will see a Classic Space-inspired set in the second wave of LEGO Movie kits, especially since Benny hasn't shown up in any of the known sets, or the CMF series.

Top Bottom