• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a Rocket Raccoon minifig! Filling a recently-bought cabinet with all my minifigs and just realised i've never gotten one. Probably going to Bricklink one, but are we getting GOTG2 sets next year at all, anyone know?

I hope so. I think WB/toy companies will be keen to produce merch for the trilogy of Fantastic Beasts first. I think a revival would be a lock-in once they release the 8th book as a film though?

if there are off years between FB films I think they can squeeze in some reimaginings of old HP sets

i hope

I still have bags 13 and 14 to go on Disney Castle, but I feel safe in my original prediction at the reveal of this set: set of the year. Maybe last few years. Just...just so much greatness.

Time to finish this thing off. But so far, worth every single penny.

Mother of god...

Set of the year incoming...

Doubling down on this now that I have finished building it.

Short review:

AuvfRG8.gif

kKCuzzE.gif

VtKXemH.gif

Okay. Now to remove any Disney nostalgia or love from it, and appreciate it just as a LEGO build and display piece:

euQtSsA.gif

Marcos Bessa, if you read this forum, let it be known that I am sorry for ever doubting you after Simpsons House and Ghostbusters HQ. This is just...I don't have words. You have surpassed your work in Ewok Village.

Taking those gifs to somehow mean it's a terrible set. Wow. Saved some money there! Thanks for the review!

UK STUFF:

If you've got a Smyths nearby, try your luck. Temple of Airjitzu at £136, and Classic Batcave at £184 (both 20% off).

CMF16 looks to be appearing here and there, saw some in a Sainsbury's

New Lego store finally opening in San Francisco tomorrow! Backpack promo ($50 min purchase) Friday and Grand Opening set ($99 min purchase) Saturday. Definitely going on Saturday but I haven't been able to find a pic of how the backpack looks to see if it's worth it. Does anyone here have one or seen one?

New Lego store finally opening in San Francisco tomorrow! Backpack promo ($50 min purchase) Friday and Grand Opening set ($99 min purchase) Saturday. Definitely going on Saturday but I haven't been able to find a pic of how the backpack looks to see if it's worth it. Does anyone here have one or seen one?

You can see a photo of the backpack on this month's calendar. Check the back page at the bottom.

http://cache.lego.com/r/stores/-/me.../6213-aug16-cal-bos_medres.pdf?l.r2=-21393413

It's definitely for kids only. AFOLs need not apply!

Sunday has an exclusive San Francisco 3 pack of minifigures, similar to what they have done at the launch events for past store openings.
Oh, that new store set looks better than the one I got in 2014.

Also, OneKnight, get there EARLY. I got to the mall about two or three hours early and there were still like 50 or so people ahead, and the line was several hundred people long by the time the doors opened.

It also helps to go in with a plan. Know what set you want to get, and when they let you in just grab it, check out, and leave. Everyone else will be milling about and debating about stuff to get, and it will be a zoo.

Super Disappointed in legos customer service. Bought lego dimensions during BB sale and the toy tag for the batmobile wont register. I contacted them Sunday about it and just this morning, after jumping through all sorts of hoops, I got confirmation they would send me a new one. Although it says it will take 8-13 business days.

Big thing is you cannot progress past the first 20 minutes of the game without the batmobile. Luckily I read I could use another tag from a different set, but I am still missing 1 tag overall.

Kind of crazy its this difficult and time consuming to get them to replace a crucial part of the game.

You can see a photo of the backpack on this month's calendar. Check the back page at the bottom.

http://cache.lego.com/r/stores/-/me.../6213-aug16-cal-bos_medres.pdf?l.r2=-21393413

It's definitely for kids only. AFOLs need not apply!

Sunday has an exclusive San Francisco 3 pack of minifigures, similar to what they have done at the launch events for past store openings.

Thanks for the backpack info! So the minifigure 3-pack for Sunday will be SF-themed?? Sorry if I misunderstood that.

Oh, that new store set looks better than the one I got in 2014.

Also, OneKnight, get there EARLY. I got to the mall about two or three hours early and there were still like 50 or so people ahead, and the line was several hundred people long by the time the doors opened.

It also helps to go in with a plan. Know what set you want to get, and when they let you in just grab it, check out, and leave. Everyone else will be milling about and debating about stuff to get, and it will be a zoo.

Thanks for the heads-up Phon! I'll be dragging my two kids with me so hopefully we can get there well before they open.

Super Disappointed in legos customer service. Bought lego dimensions during BB sale and the toy tag for the batmobile wont register. I contacted them Sunday about it and just this morning, after jumping through all sorts of hoops, I got confirmation they would send me a new one. Although it says it will take 8-13 business days.

Big thing is you cannot progress past the first 20 minutes of the game without the batmobile. Luckily I read I could use another tag from a different set, but I am still missing 1 tag overall.

Kind of crazy its this difficult and time consuming to get them to replace a crucial part of the game.

i also could not get the game to progress past that first "scan the batmobile scene" initially but it turned out that it was a game glitch, not a broken tag. I started the game over and it fixed it.

i also could not get the game to progress past that first "scan the batmobile scene" initially but it turned out that it was a game glitch, not a broken tag. I started the game over and it fixed it.

I bought another set to use a different tag and tried that batmobile tag a few days later on a different set to tag and it never worked,

Why didn't you just exchange it at BB? It would have been way quicker.

For my first purchases in ages I elected to get a small set of creator animals....

and also santa's workshop and winter village market within the span of a couple days.pacing myself? what's that? WV market is an old out of print one, does buying that a couple years after the fact count as pacing myself?

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the backpack info! So the minifigure 3-pack for Sunday will be SF-themed?? Sorry if I misunderstood that.

Thanks for the heads-up Phon! I'll be dragging my two kids with me so hopefully we can get there well before they open.
Yeah the packaging will be San Francisco oriented and the minifigs will be "exclusive" to the pack but don't expect the minifigs to be anything really special, they mostly use stock parts so unlikely to have any new molds, colors or printings. Hope I'm wrong.

How is this so cheap? How long will the sale last?

I hope it lasts at least until Saturday, I'll definitely pick it up.

Target, Walmart and Amazon are all price matching the current TRU ad for this 79.99 price. The ad ends on the 27th. So expect them to revert to 99.99 then... maybe. Who knows. But that would be the earliest.

BTW, this isn't the only set on sale. Many Marvel LEGO sets currently are, so shop around if you want anything. (Sadly not the Doc Ock set, at least not that I've found>)

So everybody loves the Morro Dragon. Can someone tell me if it plays a big part in the series as well? My boy is just in the second season, so we're not there yet. It looks great, but if it is only in one episode, the draw would be a lot less. It is now about 47 euro (instead of 70), so it does have an attractive price point. Have seen it coupled a lot with the Master Wu dragon, is this a must have combo, or can one stand on its own?

Was also eying Jays elemental dragon 70602. Is this any good? It is a lot better priced (half of the Morro dragon).

Edit: almost forgot, the Morro dragon, is it easily playable / swooshable or does ot break apart very fast?

So everybody loves the Morro Dragon. Can someone tell me if it plays a big part in the series as well? My boy is just in the second season, so we're not there yet. It looks great, but if it is only in one episode, the draw would be a lot less. It is now about 47 euro (instead of 70), so it does have an attractive price point. Have seen it coupled a lot with the Master Wu dragon, is this a must have combo, or can one stand on its own?

Was also eying Jays elemental dragon 70602. Is this any good? It is a lot better priced (half of the Morro dragon).

Edit: almost forgot, the Morro dragon, is it easily playable / swooshable or does ot break apart very fast?

I regret getting mine as an impulse buy. It's still unopened. I just don't anywhere to put a huge neon black dragon. Wu's dragon is already on its way to the parts bin, so it won't have a companion there, and having no space for Ninjago is my main reason for not getting the Temple.

Get the Elves dragons instead :)

I regret getting mine as an impulse buy. It's still unopened. I just don't anywhere to put a huge neon black dragon. Wu's dragon is already on its way to the parts bin, so it won't have a companion there, and having no space for Ninjago is my main reason for not getting the Temple.

Get the Elves dragons instead :)

Haha, didn't want it as a display piece, but good to know.

The Elves dragons are a bit too hugable for my taste, but to each their own. If I had a girl, I would probably be all over them and steered her in that direction.

I dunno the morro dragon looks really cool to me. I love how the body is shaped and the color scheme is really eye catching. I don't actually have it yet (planning on getting it soon) but it looks sturdy. Also, from a sheer size standpoint, the Morro dragon is probably the best value right now. It's really large for $47. From the pictures I've seen Jay's dragon is way smaller.

I'm not a fan of the elves dragons due to the large specialized heads every one of then uses. Makes them a lot less unique to me and the sculpt just isn't all that great

Waited almost a month for this to arrive and it's finally here! This is my first time ever building a Lego set so I'm really looking forward to it. Probably won't be able to start until later next month since we have to complete a few renovation projects on the home first.

I am thinking on buying the Disney Castle and putting it up for my daughter and I to put together when she is older. Currently she is only 2 1/2, but I see this being one of those sets that skyrockets in value once its retired.

2 questions...

1) any more Disney sets or minifigs being released? Just seems odd that there is no Goofy or Pluto in the set....

2) What age is good for kids to start working on the more complex sets like the Disney Castle?

I am thinking on buying the Disney Castle and putting it up for my daughter and I to put together when she is older. Currently she is only 2 1/2, but I see this being one of those sets that skyrockets in value once its retired.

2 questions...

1) any more Disney sets or minifigs being released? Just seems odd that there is no Goofy or Pluto in the set....

2) What age is good for kids to start working on the more complex sets like the Disney Castle?

That is not a 'kids' set to put together. It is for the parent to do it. It is a long built. Not something for a 6 year old for instance. There are better castle sets aimed at kids (a lot cheaper as well), for instance the Disney Princess Belle castle. That is a real playset.

This castle is going to stay for awhile, you can wait for a sale or at least double VIP.

Off to Legoland Windsor for a couple of nights next week in the Legoland hotel, can't wait.

I get 10% off in the stores there and I'm sure if I see the Castle I won't be able to resist it

2 questions...

That is not a 'kids' set to put together. It is for the parent to do it. It is a long built. Not something for a 6 year old for instance. There are better castle sets aimed at kids (a lot cheaper as well), for instance the Disney Princess Belle castle. That is a real playset.

This castle is going to stay for awhile, you can wait for a sale or at least double VIP.

I would say in my experience, once my daughter hit 3, we were able to work on a lot of the Friends/Princess sets together in really small bursts. Maybe two or three steps.

At 4 she was doing Mixels herself. Now at 5 she can build most sets herself from the Friends/Princess/Elves line.

She often helps me with bigger builds like the Volkswagen Beetle.

I will get the Disney Castle, but it will be a "family" build. You should have plenty of time to pick it up, but it is something you will want to save until she probably hits 5 at a minimum for her to get any enjoyment of helping you build. Its aimed at the adult builder, but that should not preclude children helping adults. But it has to be fun for them.

So do think there will be other Disney sets? Just don't understand why no pluto or Goofy

Goofy and Pluto among others will show up in the inevitable CMF series 2 it seems...

I mean, i'd be surprised if not that is.

But yeah, i hear you... the lack of a substantial minifig collection (a la Ewok Village) to go with this set or at the very least a bunch of great/exclusive Disney figs was a HUGE turnoff for me at first when this set was revealed!

Nowadays though, i am thinking more along the lines of "if we get the figs at ALL i'm fine with that". I will buy a CMF Series 2 anyway so they might as well be represented there!

Rootbeer

Banned
I think they open at 11am today but not sure. Either way, I'm working and can't make it today to help build the ginormous Jay. :(

Well the website says store hours at 10am (except 11am on Sundays)

But the event page says 11am. I think 11am is when the building of Jay starts .The store opens at 10 though... I think?

I need to get some clarity to be sure.

mclem

If there are more mini fig scale Disney sets coming, I want a giant Maleficent dragon.

tg7hbxvfgapzc4qdiusr.jpg

I mentioned upthread that a Fantasmic diorama could be fantastic:

I think the best candidates for further theme-park lego based on buildings would be the Haunted Mansion, the Disneyland frontage of It's A Small World and the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror - but I'd also add that if you expand it to include scenes from the parks, I'd add in the Dining room/Ballroom from The Haunted Mansion, The Zip-A-Dee-Lady scene from Splash Mountain, the 'sacking the town' scene from Pirates of The Carribean (if that's not already covered by an existing Pirates of the Caribbean set!) and some sort of Fantasmic staging (Either Tom Sawyer Island or the Hollywood Hills Theater one)

I'd particularly love a nice Fantasmic setup.

That'd include a Maleficent in some form.

(One thing I didn't mention at the time, but I'm kicking myself that it'd be glorious: A Main Street Electrical Parade collection)

crpav

It's nice lego has pick a brick but why do they not just have every piece they ever made? Okay they have a brown barrel(from pirate sets) my son is obsessed over and we can't find and that's cool but there are so many other pieces I want/need that are old(from old sets I had as a kid from the 80s) they don't have like hinge pieces and other specialty pieces that are broke.

Tried super gluing but that does not allow the hinge to close all the way now.

It's nice lego has pick a brick but why do they not just have every piece they ever made? Okay they have a brown barrel(from pirate sets) my son is obsessed over and we can't find and that's cool but there are so many other pieces I want/need that are old(from old sets I had as a kid from the 80s) they don't have like hinge pieces and other specialty pieces that are broke.

Tried super gluing but that does not allow the hinge to close all the way now.

Bricklink has everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom