• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

giphy.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Really thinking about to spend the absurd price of 50€ for some Lego... Oh guys, your hobby is so expensive. And I thought Comicbooks are the worst :D

teeny

Really thinking about to spend the absurd price of 50€ for some Lego... Oh guys, your hobby is so expensive. And I thought Comicbooks are the worst :D

Once you start down the dark path...

... and, given time, you'll have to justify not spending 50€ on Lego. Seriously, I spent £100 on a 3 for 2 deal and it was fantastic value.

I hesitated and debated buying a 35€ set as the first 'big' set for a long time, really had to convince myself. About one year later, I have easily spent over 2000 euro and pick up sets over 80€ as if it is nothing (and consider sets under a hundred small sets). Know what you are getting your self into.

All seem plausible, but all those princesses in 1 series doesn't sound right.

It would lack the amount of must haves in my humble opinion. Goofie with Pluto would also be impossible to find.

I think that at this rate they have about 3 series in total as a maximum.

Osahi

So got my first ever missing piece. A 1x2 white plate from Disney Castle. Substituded it with two spare 1x1's.

Still unsure if I just didn't clumsily lose it (thought I counted the six needed for the step before i began), but it did not turn up when finishing the bag

So got my first ever missing piece. A 1x2 white plate from Disney Castle. Substituded it with two spare 1x1's.

Still unsure if I just didn't clumsily lose it (thought I counted the six needed for the step before i began), but it did not turn up when finishing the bag

150,000+ pieces and this has happened to me twice. A 1x2 jumper on Fire Brigade, a clear window insert on the Simpsons house, and Plo Koon's goddamn head from the Anti Vehicle Cannon. I recently found a clear window insert behind my shelf so I suspect that was a user error.

The Plo Koon thing pisses me off to no end though. TLG wouldn't replace it for me.

Anyone else wish there were more sets in the style of the Lego movie? I love how creative those were. Firefighter mechs, barn helicopters, evil garbage trucks, it was just great. They felt like MOCs. Don't get me wrong, stuff like Ninjago and nexo knights are great, but the sheet variety of the Lego movie sets was awesome. And now that it's gone there's like a hole missing. I hope the batman movie comes close but due to the source material I'd assume there will be an inherent lack of variety in comparison and loyalty to the batman theme.

Rootbeer

Banned

You're lucky it was a common shape and easy piece to substitute, so at least you have that going for you. Of my over 1000 sets I've only encountered it like 5 times that I recall. Honestly, it's just amazing to me LEGO is so precise at getting every tiny piece right ALMOST all the time in every box. So if I'm missing something common now and then I can't even hold it against them, haha.

The only missing pieces I've encountered were in that one fire Mixel that had a squid looking head. I didn't get the two eyeball pieces, instead there were 2 grey 1x1 brick

Every time I've had a missing piece so far it's actually turned out that it had got stuck in the corner of a bag when I was pouring it out and I hadn't noticed!

willp2003

Every time I've had a missing piece so far it's actually turned out that it had got stuck in the corner of a bag when I was pouring it out and I hadn't noticed!

Yeah this is common for me! The only one that was missing for me was a head of a Bith musician in the SW cantina set. Lego sent me a new one though.

Out of all the sets I've ever built the only one I was missing a piece from was Arkham Asylum. It was just a grey brick piece so I had a spare from an older set so I just used that one.

Has anyone seen 40228 creepy TRU giraffe in the US stores? I have to remember to try to buy one.

I need to remember to go to Target for the Strange set too before it's gone.

Maengun1

I swear, no matter how careful I try to be, I ALWAYS miss a piece or 2 when I'm dumping the pieces out of the bags into the sorting bin. I can't count the number of times I've looked for a piece, it's not there, only to eventually find it lodged in the corner of one of the numbered bags I'd already put in the trash can.

There was a fairly important piece "missing" when I built the Ferris Wheel, and I'm 99.9% sure I accidentally trashed it but I'll never know for sure as it took me a week to assemble the whole thing which means the trash had all been taken away by then. Of course they hooked me up with a replacement part regardless ^_^

Markus

Has anyone seen 40228 creepy TRU giraffe in the US stores? I have to remember to try to buy one.

I need to remember to go to Target for the Strange set too before it's gone.

I got a couple during a TrU promo (free with $25 Lego purchase) up here in Canada about 2 months ago.

I've noticed that we seem to get certain Lego promos about 3 to 4 months before they are at US TrU's, so they may be coming down there soon.

Osahi

Yeah, I have this all the time. Yesterday i checked every corner of every bag I opened, and nope... Luckily it was easily substituted by two 1x1's.

You're lucky it was a common shape and easy piece to substitute, so at least you have that going for you. Of my over 1000 sets I've only encountered it like 5 times that I recall. Honestly, it's just amazing to me LEGO is so precise at getting every tiny piece right ALMOST all the time in every box. So if I'm missing something common now and then I can't even hold it against them, haha.

I only have around 40 sets, and it's the first time. It is in a very large set though, so I reckon mistakes are more easily made there. Bit stupid it's in my first really big set (largerst after this are my modulars). But yeah, Lego has a terrific track record. Compare this to what Jang encountered with Mega Bloks (whole bag missing from his Enterprise)...

I'll build the thing and then mail Lego (maybe there is another piece missing) for a replacement anyway though. It's a piece that is easily reached and replaced and after spending 350 euro I want the damn thing the way it should be :p

150,000+ pieces and this has happened to me twice. A 1x2 jumper on Fire Brigade, a clear window insert on the Simpsons house, and Plo Koon's goddamn head from the Anti Vehicle Cannon. I recently found a clear window insert behind my shelf so I suspect that was a user error.

The Plo Koon thing pisses me off to no end though. TLG wouldn't replace it for me.

That sucks. I can imagine Lego has to deal with scalpers trying to get doubles of rare pieces by claiming they missed one in the box, so they are reluctant to replace them. Sucks to be the victim of that, as I can even imagine you got that set for the figure alone (it's a cool build, but it's the figure that shines)

willp2003

Looking at getting some Lego for my 8 year old niece's b'day. I know she's got a few small creator sets (cat, parrot etc) and also some Princess/friends sets.
I think I'm fine picking boys stuff, but any sets out there that girls really like?
Looking at £30 ($40-50) range.
Was possibly looking at the small City space shuttle, and maybe another one, if Amazon have got good discounts on them!

My little cousin liked the Lego friends cruise ship I got her a while back
Shit was big and looked like a cool build

Buy your niece the Lego friends huge hotel set 😎 Go big or go home :p

willp2003

Bought the friends cruise ship for xmas when it was heavily discounted! I'll take a look at the other suggestions, cheers.

Edit: any thoughts on the creator 3-1 lighthouse set? It's a bit more than my budget, but it looks like a decent set.
I would have got vacation getaways, as I have that and know how good it is, but it's a bit over budget.

OK Lego addicts...

The Scooby Doo Mystery Machine... I just got this the other day and have not built it yet. I was wondering if it will hold the whole gang? In other words... does it have seats for space for the other main group minfigs that are not included in the set?

I am thinking of picking up the whole line so that I can use it as my Halloween Diorama.

If it does not fit the whole group, has anybody heard of anybody tweaking it by maybe buying two sets to make it bigger to hold them?

OK Lego addicts...

The Scooby Doo Mystery Machine... I just got this the other day and have not built it yet. I was wondering if it will hold the whole gang? In other words... does it have seats for space for the other main group minfigs that are not included in the set?

I am thinking of picking up the whole line so that I can use it as my Halloween Diorama.

If it does not fit the whole group, has anybody heard of anybody tweaking it by maybe buying two sets to make it bigger to hold them?
No and I gave up on the idea of making it bigger because I love the shape they got. I don't think it's realistic to fit all of them so they are visible up front like the cartoon, so I lost interest in doing it. Also the stickers are made for the size it is.

If you don't care how they are configured I think it shouldn't be hard to build it without the interior decor and jam them in sideways. Just take out the sink and stuff and build the orange divider without the pieces that stick out.

This looks cool but looks fragile: https://www.flickr.com/photos/flailx/

No and I gave up on the idea of making it bigger because I love the shape they got. I don't think it's realistic to fit all of them so they are visible up front like the cartoon, so I lost interest in doing it. Also the stickers are made for the size it is.

If you don't care how they are configured I think it shouldn't be hard to build it without the interior decor and jam them in sideways. Just take out the sink and stuff and build the orange divider without the pieces that stick out.

This looks cool but looks fragile: https://www.flickr.com/photos/flailx/

The pics on flickr are great... I wish he had detailed building instructions.

Looking at getting some Lego for my 8 year old niece's b'day. I know she's got a few small creator sets (cat, parrot etc) and also some Princess/friends sets.
I think I'm fine picking boys stuff, but any sets out there that girls really like?
Looking at £30 ($40-50) range.
Was possibly looking at the small City space shuttle, and maybe another one, if Amazon have got good discounts on them!

I second the Elves suggestion. Look for the ship, if it's still available it should be on sale. Then grab one of the smaller sets to get another figure, and it's a good start (unfortunately the smallest dragon set has Naida who is also in the ship).

Speaking of Elves... i was going to get one or 2 sets to maybe get into the theme a little but... i can't decide, is there like ONE set that has overwhelming consensus or...? Besides Ragana's Magic Shadow Castle, because that one is still too expensive for me although i really dig it.

Speaking of Elves... i was going to get one or 2 sets to maybe get into the theme a little but... i can't decide, is there like ONE set that has overwhelming consensus or...? Besides Ragana's Magic Shadow Castle, because that one is still too expensive for me although i really dig it.

Get any of the dragons. Preferrably the Queen Dragon Rescue, but it's almost the same price as the castle. Otherwise the fire dragon and the market place (with the earth dragon) are great.

I'd also recommend the ship and the treetop sets from the first wave. The ship is marvellous and the treetop has a ton of cool, rare parts.

Random question. With the release of a Harry Potter team pack for dimensions coming up, what are the possibilities of another line of releases for the Harry Potter franchise?

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I need a Rocket Raccoon minifig! Filling a recently-bought cabinet with all my minifigs and just realised i've never gotten one. Probably going to Bricklink one, but are we getting GOTG2 sets next year at all, anyone know?

Random question. With the release of a Harry Potter team pack for dimensions coming up, what are the possibilities of another line of releases for the Harry Potter franchise?
I hope so. I think WB/toy companies will be keen to produce merch for the trilogy of Fantastic Beasts first. I think a revival would be a lock-in once they release the 8th book as a film though?

Fowler

I need a Rocket Raccoon minifig! Filling a recently-bought cabinet with all my minifigs and just realised i've never gotten one. Probably going to Bricklink one, but are we getting GOTG2 sets next year at all, anyone know?

I hope so. I think WB/toy companies will be keen to produce merch for the trilogy of Fantastic Beasts first. I think a revival would be a lock-in once they release the 8th book as a film though?

Will probably take a while for the "8th book" to become a film. There's a whole trilogy for Fantastic Beasts to get through, and the new book is a 5 hour play. Anything can be adapted as a film of course, but this one needs a lot of work because it's a lot of standing around and talking.

(Saw the play last week, it is an amazing play! But would be very different on film.)

But, definitely put me down for any Harry Potter revival!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom