• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wil348

Damn I would love to get the Disney Castle. I don't really have the funds for really large sets anymore though, nor do I really have the space. I am planning to get the Tanker Truck Takedown soon for the Civil War Spidey minifigure however (which is already my favourite minifigure of this year). Another large set I would like and would have gotten last Christmas had it not been out of stock is the UCS Slave 1. I've never gotten an actual UCS ship before (only the motorised AT-AT, Death Star and Ewok Village) and I love the Slave 1, and haven't had a LEGO version since the 06 one.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
I'm not sure how common this is, but I was at a local library lately and I saw the most brilliant and awesome thing ever.

The library has Lego sets that they lend out.

You can just borrow a Lego set, build it, and return it. All for free.

As a person whose main joy from Lego comes from the building by instructions, this is absolutely brilliant. I get to enjoy my favorite part of the Lego set without having to pay the expensive price to keep the Lego on my shelf by purchasing it.

I was absolutely blown away and surprised that I hadn't seen this idea elsewhere yet.

...Unfortunately, the library was in a neighboring city - not the city I'm living in - and you can only borrow the Lego sets if you live in the city. So sad... Regardless, it's a brilliant idea and I'm happy that it exists.

I'm not sure how common this is, but I was at a local library lately and I saw the most brilliant and awesome thing ever.

The library has Lego sets that they lend out.

You can just borrow a Lego set, build it, and return it. All for free.

As a person whose main joy from Lego comes from the building by instructions, this is absolutely brilliant. I get to enjoy my favorite part of the Lego set without having to pay the expensive price to keep the Lego on my shelf by purchasing it.

I was absolutely blown away and surprised that I hadn't seen this idea elsewhere yet.

...Unfortunately, the library was in a neighboring city - not the city I'm living in - and you can only borrow the Lego sets if you live in the city. So sad... Regardless, it's a brilliant idea and I'm happy that it exists.

I would kill for something like that. I would love for that sort of idea to become more popular because there are quite a few sets I'd love to build but don't really want to put up with the cost of keeping.

Osahi

Damn. That's cool. But how do they ensure no pieces go missing? I reckon they don't do a piece count every time somebody turns a set in again.

(only way I can think of doing it effectively is weighing the thing to the gram, and do a visual check to see if there are no non-lego materials added to add weight)

Kipp

I would kill for something like that. I would love for that sort of idea to become more popular because there are quite a few sets I'd love to build but don't really want to put up with the cost of keeping.

Right!? Like, the Friends Adventure Camp Tree House set has always caught my eye for some reason I can't comprehend as something that I'd really enjoy building, but there is absolutely zero chance that I'd ever purchase it. That's exactly the type of set that I'd be thrilled to be able to borrow to just build, display for a few days, then return. And coincidentally, that's one of the sets they had and it was the first one I grabbed to borrow! Until I learned that since I didn't live in the city I couldn't borrow any of the Lego sets.

Damn. That's cool. But how do they ensure no pieces go missing? I reckon they don't do a piece count every time somebody turns a set in again.

(only way I can think of doing it effectively is weighing the thing to the gram, and do a visual check to see if there are no non-lego materials added to add weight)

They have some volunteers (probably some of the members of the LUG that meets at that library) that count the pieces and make sure everything is returned and returned in good enough condition. If pieces are missing or otherwise damaged, there is some sort of fee applied.

Kipp

Caterham Seven 620R:

z1nrykblsmgx.jpg

Comparison to the original Ideas submission:

Seems like it lost a fairly significant amount of detail. Still looks like a Caterham, but definitely lost a bit of its specialness.

valkyre

For those who have Slave I UCS, if you place it on the floor flat in landing position (without the stand) , does the structure rock slightly? Specifically the front part seems not to be touching the ground.

willp2003

For those who have Slave I UCS, if you place it on the floor flat in landing position (without the stand) , does the structure rock slightly? Specifically the front part seems not to be touching the ground.

Just built mine yesterday and it's flat. I added the "mixel" mod to mine as I was building it, to keep the sides secure.

valkyre

Just built mine yesterday and it's flat. I added the "mixel" mod to mine as I was building it, to keep the sides secure.

the problem in mine is the engine on the bottom. Those trans blue parts are slightly sticking out and i dont get why. I have certainly not done anything wrong , i even removed them and put them back again, still there seem to be off a bit, so much so that the structure rocks a bit... dont know what is wrong with it really....

willp2003

the problem in mine is the engine on the bottom. Those trans blue parts are slightly sticking out and i dont get why. I have certainly not done anything wrong , i even removed them and put them back again, still there seem to be off a bit, so much so that the structure rocks a bit... dont know what is wrong with it really....

Take a picture and I'll compare it to mine.
This is the issue I have with mine. Seems like a big gap.
CBC68E6C-B2B0-459A-B2F6-815DB2D0F1CB_zpstdekyp0s.jpg

valkyre

That gap is normal as far as i know and in comparison with mine. I'll see if i can take a picture later for now i am going to tinker with it a bit to try and see why those damn engines make my model rock.

Thanks for posting that picture. Was already not thát interested in Slave 1, but this just sealed the deal. Probably would have picked it up with a nice discount (almost did before). That is a huge flaw for a 200€ set.

Ponn

Banned
That gap is normal as far as i know and in comparison with mine. I'll see if i can take a picture later for now i am going to tinker with it a bit to try and see why those damn engines make my model rock.

Thanks for posting that picture. Was already not thát interested in Slave 1, but this just sealed the deal. Probably would have picked it up with a nice discount (almost did before). That is a huge flaw for a 200€ set.

This set gets alot of love on GAF and I assembled mine about 6 months ago now and was part of my big "Lego Crash" crisis event. I didn't really comment at the time on it because, I don't know why. I guess I get tired of sounding negative all the time. It's a set with problems though. It looks really good on display on its stand. I didn't enjoy the build though and its flaws become really apparent on closer inspection and handling it. It's an extremely fragile model, every slight touch even during the build something would fall off (usually those back thrusters or worse part of the wings that are hard to get to). If you build it, set it on a shelf and just admire it from afar its worth the money (plus its a UCS Star Wars set so it will go up in price after retiring). It is not without its flaws though that I was surprised more people didn't talk about.

I think people did say it was fragile. That's part of the reason I never built mine. I have the old non-UCS that I swosh sometimes and to me it looks pretty great and isn't fragile at all. The UCS for sure has more detail but it's not a huge difference in quality of appearance like say, the ucs b-wing and regular b-wing.

This set gets alot of love on GAF and I assembled mine about 6 months ago now and was part of my big "Lego Crash" crisis event. I didn't really comment at the time on it because, I don't know why. I guess I get tired of sounding negative all the time. It's a set with problems though. It looks really good on display on its stand. I didn't enjoy the build though and its flaws become really apparent on closer inspection and handling it. It's an extremely fragile model, every slight touch even during the build something would fall off (usually those back thrusters or worse part of the wings that are hard to get to). If you build it, set it on a shelf and just admire it from afar its worth the money (plus its a UCS Star Wars set so it will go up in price after retiring). It is not without its flaws though that I was surprised more people didn't talk about.
More proof as to why the UCS TIE is superior! Solid as a rock.

And just finished bag 5 of Disney Castle. This is shaping up to be something very, very special.

Ponn

Banned
More proof as to why the UCS TIE is superior! Solid as a rock.

And just finished bag 5 of Disney Castle. This is shaping up to be something very, very special.

You know, you are going to kick me but I finally built the UCS Tie I got during those crazy sales last month to distract myself and do something. It also looks really freaking good on display but I have to disagree on the solid part. No matter what I did/do I cannot get those panel pieces on the side to stay clutched. I just chalked it up to physics and trying to get plates to stay clutched on several smaller pieces. Everytime I pressed one in another close by would pop off, it was like a whack-a-mole game. It's hard to use a flat surface since the middle and side portions make it stick up at that point. I tried holding it from both sides and all that but nothing worked for me. The skeleton build of those side panels are just so weakly built. I almost feel it would have maybe came together better building that part in reverse somehow.

And damn these Disney Castle reviews coming in. I have no choice but to wait till Oct. now and I know by then its going to be backordered till after the holidays. Maybe I can sell my GB Firehouse set since i'm not really that excited to build it.

Sidzed2

Lego-GAF, I need help.

I'm going to get into the Winter Village theme this year, staring with the holiday train.

I want something to go with it, so I'm going to grab either of:

Santa's Workshop 10245

Or

Winter Toy Shop 10249

The workshop is about $150 AUD whereas the Toy Shop is $110 AUD.

With that in mind, which do you guys and gals recommend? And do not say both. Please. Don't.

Rootbeer

Banned
Santa's workshop. It will retire sooner, and as it is the bigger of the two purchases you can get it out of the way sooner too. You can pick up the other set later on when you have the extra funds.

*edit* are you sure Santa's workshop is really 40 more than the Toy Shop? In the USA, Santa's Workshop is $10 cheaper

Sidzed2

Santa's workshop. It will retire sooner, and as it is the bigger of the two purchases you can get it out of the way sooner too. You can pick up the other set later on when you have the extra funds.

*edit* are you sure Santa's workshop is really 40 more than the Toy Shop? In the USA, Santa's Workshop is $10 cheaper

Yes, for some reason the workshop is impossible to find in stores anymore, and online / second hand you are looking at $150AUD.

Say I was only going to buy one of the 2 sets, which do you prefer?

Ponn

Banned
Yes, for some reason the workshop is impossible to find in stores anymore, and online / second hand you are looking at $150AUD.

Say I was only going to buy one of the 2 sets, which do you prefer?

Both are really great, unfortunately both is the best answer. You probably have till after the holidays to still pick up Toy Shop at retail price. Santas Workshop is really really good though. Kids love it, comes with that great clock face printed piece and the reindeer sleigh build is worth it alone. Add in elves and mrs. claus and it really was an awesome holiday set, probably my favorite so far.

Sidzed2

Both are really great, unfortunately both is the best answer. You probably have till after the holidays to still pick up Toy Shop at retail price. Santas Workshop is really really good though. Kids love it, comes with that great clock face printed piece and the reindeer sleigh build is worth it alone. Add in elves and mrs. claus and it really was an awesome holiday set, probably my favorite so far.

I knew you would say that. Bugger bum poop.

$150AUD is slightly on the high side, so I was looking for reinforcement that the toy shop was better ;-)

Ponn

Banned
I knew you would say that. Bugger bum poop.

$150AUD is slightly on the high side, so I was looking for reinforcement that the toy shop was better ;-)

I'm not familiar with ordering things from amazon from other countries but Santas Workshop is still available from Amazon here for msrp. If you really want it check out the link and see if they will ship to you.

Dang. Didn't see this sale until now. Most are gone, but I was able to get more Dr. Who Cyberman fun packs. I already have several, but at that price it is a no brainer.

http://toysnbricks.com/lego-dimensions-discounts-2-93-back-to-the-future-doc-brown-fun-pack/
–LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack – Prime Members only (item will be discounted by 50% off)
–Dr. Who Cyberman Fun Pack $3.59 (reg.$11.99) – Prime Members only
–Back to the Future Doc Brown Fun Pack $2.93 (reg.$11.99) – Prime Members only
–DC Superman Fun Pack $5.99 (reg.$11.99)
–Ghostbusers Slimer Fun Pack $5.39 (reg.$11.99)
–Ninjago Lloyd Fun Pack – $5.99 (reg.$11.99)

Dang. Didn't see this sale until now. Most are gone, but I was able to get more Dr. Who Cyberman fun packs. I already have several, but at that price it is a no brainer.

http://toysnbricks.com/lego-dimensions-discounts-2-93-back-to-the-future-doc-brown-fun-pack/
–LEGO Dimensions Starter Pack – Prime Members only (item will be discounted by 50% off)
–Dr. Who Cyberman Fun Pack $3.59 (reg.$11.99) – Prime Members only
–Back to the Future Doc Brown Fun Pack $2.93 (reg.$11.99) – Prime Members only
–DC Superman Fun Pack $5.99 (reg.$11.99)
–Ghostbusers Slimer Fun Pack $5.39 (reg.$11.99)
–Ninjago Lloyd Fun Pack – $5.99 (reg.$11.99)
I could use more Cybermen. It never hurts to have a ton of them. Same with Daleks. Thanks for the heads up!

On a different note (and after a long shift going to 2am), I just finished bag 6 of Disney Castle. Again, this is shaping up to be something special. Thus far, my initial hunch of the set when it first leaked is turning true.

After only getting part way through it, I think I have finally figured out how Marcos Bessa works with some stuff. When it comes to mini builds, like furniture or mini figure scale things, he is excellent. Just look at the furniture and whatnot in Simpsons House.
But, I don't think he works as well with regular buildings or shapes like Simpsons House or Ghostbusters HQ. There are some great things to those sets, but much of the build just seems so bland, even if the small details are great. I know with those he is limited to keeping it as close to the original as possible, but he just doesn't seem to click when building boxy things.
However, when it comes to irregular shapes and angles, he truly excels. Ewok Village, Milano, and now Disney Castle show that the really awesome stuff from him comes when trying to pull off irregular or off angles and shapes, and he does it in such interesting and awesome ways. Then he just tosses in those cool mini builds blended into his awesome irregular pattern building and it works oh so well.

I said a few years ago that I wanted to see him tackle a modular, but after Simpsons and Ghostbusters HQ I kind of backed off from that. But after only partially through Disney Castle, I am back on wanting him to tackle a modular. I want to see what he could pull off with a building without having to adhere to a strict, boxy exterior based on something else.

EDIT:
Thinking of other designers and their strengths, obviously Mike Psiaki works very well with vehicles (especially jets). I would love to see him pull off a stealth bomber. That would be really difficult to pull off the angles well, but it would also be right in his wheelhouse.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I can't speak for everyone but I know there was a few of us that didn't care for the playset open feel of this Death Star and were hoping for them going back to something like the Death Star II set.

I would kill for a set like that :D I mean, imagine the scene from the trailers, were they put the canon in..they could have done that!

Osahi

DHL just arrived.

That is one big f-in' box.

I think it will take at least a week before the Castle is errected in all it's splendour

Dream on... be sure to let me know if you ever find it that cheap. Would be the steal of the year. I know how this story goes. Even if they magically get marked down that low in a few months, I'll go hunting for one and not find it.

you basically would have to be at target right when they mark it down to get it for that price. My neck of the woods nothing survives to get to 50% off. Not even Ninjago.

Ryuuroden

Was interviewed by the local paper about orthanc and my other builds yesterday. In the metro section today. Unfortunately they did not put a picture of orthanc in the paper.

Lego-GAF, I need help.

I'm going to get into the Winter Village theme this year, staring with the holiday train.

I want something to go with it, so I'm going to grab either of:

Santa's Workshop 10245

Or

Winter Toy Shop 10249

The workshop is about $150 AUD whereas the Toy Shop is $110 AUD.

With that in mind, which do you guys and gals recommend? And do not say both. Please. Don't.

I know I'm the odd man out here, but I vote for the Toy Shop. If TLG keeps growing the winter village then the Toy Shop will fit in better.

Also I've heard it said by some (me) that the Workshop is ugly.

I know I'm the odd man out here, but I vote for the Toy Shop. If TLG keeps growing the winter village then the Toy Shop will fit in better.

Also I've heard it said by some (me) that the Workshop is ugly.

I vote Toy Shop too, it just seems more "Christmas" to me for some reason, but I have no specific reasons to tie me to that.

Side note - Anyone who bought the Disney Castle, how many bags was it?

14 numbers. Less pieces per number then with the modulars, but i prefer it this way. I can take it slow, one number at the time (2 in now)

Yeah, I dig how it is dished out. It is letting me stage stuff and not making as big of a mess at once.

Also, after watching Jang's organization video, I learned that those Sterilite drawers that I bought the other month were modular. I had no idea I could disassemble them and make other configurations until I saw his video mentioning it. Just went to all my drawers and combined them into towers like his instead of being loosely stacked. That shaved about 8 inches off of each stack, which means I can add some more drawers in the same space now. Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom