• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koren

What I'm looking at in the last picture? What will they build?

It's nice lego has pick a brick but why do they not just have every piece they ever made?
I guess this must be a joke considering how many pieces there're *currently* producing... But I'd definitively welcome a far more frequent refresh of the wall.

I would like them to be open to submissions for pieces on the wall, too (for a small part of the wall, at least). I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to see 2x2 dark bluish gray tiles, for example...

Rootbeer

Banned
What I'm looking at in the last picture? What will they build?

This

CqzFs_iVYAAA9sV.jpg:large

Thanks for sharing the pics Zulithe. I see you got the "AFOL's need not apply" backpack promo. :)

How busy was it? You planning to go there tomorrow and Sunday for the other promos?

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for sharing the pics Zulithe. I see you got the "AFOL's need not apply" backpack promo. :)

How busy was it? You planning to go there tomorrow and Sunday for the other promos?

I didn't go, just snooping around on instagram/twitter to see what the crowds were like.
That PAB wall looks kinda smallish....

Also: EU gets the London bus too right? If so, does anyone know when by chance?
Have you heard how ridiculous the real estate situation is in SF? haha. We are incredibly fortunate to even get this much space! You won't hear any complaints out of me. I intend to keep this place in business :p

Waited almost a month for this to arrive and it's finally here! This is my first time ever building a Lego set so I'm really looking forward to it. Probably won't be able to start until later next month since we have to complete a few renovation projects on the home first.

Wow, way to jump into the deep end. I'm experienced and it took me 10 hours over several days. Enjoy it, you'll be hooked after your done.

3N16MA

Banned
That is not a 'kids' set to put together. It is for the parent to do it. It is a long built. Not something for a 6 year old for instance. There are better castle sets aimed at kids (a lot cheaper as well), for instance the Disney Princess Belle castle. That is a real playset.

This castle is going to stay for awhile, you can wait for a sale or at least double VIP.

My niece at 6 years old could definitely help put a set like that together with an adult. If they can build Belle's Castle on their own or any other set in the 300-400 piece range then they can help with the Disney Castle. She is now 7 and can build sets with 700 pieces on her own.

The castle is as much as a playset as any other Disney set. It's just much bigger.

Spidey Bridge Battle is totes magoats.

Too bad it's disassembled and in the Lego bin now, as my living situation is... not ideal. Still, it was a fun build and it looks amazing when completed.

I'll definitely pick up another one if it goes on sale and I have the extra cash again; then I can make a giant Spidey(s) vs. the Sinister Six + guest Villains.

I give 5 THWIPS out of 5.

I'll be headed to the new LEGO SF store tomorrow. Trying to get there before 7AM to secure the exclusive model.
Should meet up with Oneknightr since he should be there too.

Ps: if there is awesome stuff like tiles in neutral colors on PAB, I would love some. Dark grey or dark tan especially. Dark bavy blue anything is the big hope.

I need to hit the Nashville store next PAB change.

Okay, so I need to buy Doctor Strange, which is online only. I also want Doc Ock, which can be found anywhere but is much cheaper at a separate online store.

I'd also like Vacation Getaways and the Blue Power Jet.

But now I'm thinking of getting a spare Palace Cinema for spare parts for my next build.

Halp.

Okay, so I need to buy Doctor Strange, which is online only. I also want Doc Ock, which can be found anywhere but is much cheaper at a separate online store.

I'd also like Vacation Getaways and the Blue Power Jet.

But now I'm thinking of getting a spare Palace Cinema for spare parts for my next build.

Halp.

Just buy them all.

HTH

mclem

So, is there some mystery voodoo required to acquire Winter Village sets in the UK?

I look on the US shop.lego.com, I see Winter Toy Shop and Santa's Workshop, no indication of any shortages or restrictions. On the UK version? No sign. Holiday Train is coming soon, sure, but the older models? Nothing.

Is there some exclusivity aspect I'm not aware of? Are the items more seasonal in Europe?

Just buy them all.

HTH

I did get Doc Ock, but went with the Hulkbuster and a few Mixels for parts. I was looking at the Nether fortress thing for parts as well, but that might be one of the worst PPP ratios ever. We're talking $120ish for 550 or so bricks. It's almost all dark red, which I need, but still.

ghostmind

Lepin is going all-out, from cloning complex sets such as the Technic Arocs to the UCS Falcon.

LEGO must be furious, but what can they do? Just another company falling victim to Chinese copyright violation.

One thing LEGO could learn - add a carrying handle to the larger boxes!

Lepin is going all-out, from cloning complex sets such as the Technic Arocs to the UCS Falcon.

LEGO must be furious, but what can they do? Just another company falling victim to Chinese copyright violation.

One thing LEGO could learn - add a carrying handle to the larger boxes!

Games Workshop somehow managed to get all their bootleg stuff off of Aliexpress.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
I knew they were well on their way copying, but looking at that page. Wow! Super Etar Destroyer UCS, MF UCS, GE, Porsche... They haven't sat still.

Can't say I'm not interested in that Super Star Destroyer, I mean the Lego one has gone out of my price range unless I somehow win the lottery.

I'm a bad person for buying that?

It's sad when a company steals the fruits of another's labor. Lepin is copying almost every major set produced by LEGO.

https://www.facebook.com/ShopofNinjaBricks/

Fucking hell. I hope Lego gets all their lawyers and ninjas on this. A minifig here and there, fine, especially if they aren't ones already published (although I hate that too). But this is so blatant. This is literally pissing in the face of Lego, and of you don't care about Lego as a big ole greedy corporation, at least know that it's also pissing in the face of its designers. That's Jamie's creations right there, and they're being copied right off. They even copy the fucking cover image even though the set has minor changes - probably because these fuckers have access to Lego molds but can't make retired parts - because they have no fucking creative part in their bodies.

I don't care very much that cheap bastards get their Not Café Corners cheaply. As long as they don't resell it and feel proud of their stolen merchandise, fine. I don't care very much for scalpers either. But I do care that fake parts are being dumped into the market, making it just as hard to find real Lego as it is to find, let's say, real original GBA games. I don't want to finally track down the last set of ridiculously expensive Grand Carousel parts in a few years and find that, hey, this doesn't look like the real thing.

If you care at all for Lego as a product and a hobby, you should take a stand against this shit. And if you think that "hey, Lego is not making the sets I want so I'll go with this instead", well, then you can fuck right off. Respectfully.

Yes, this riles me up.

Ponn

Banned
Did you guys see this amazing new holiday set on Brickset?

http://brickset.com/article/23273/your-first-image-of-seasonal-set-40204

Reminds me a lot of that great new Goffrey set from Toysrus.

Haha, thats awesome. These human like sets for the holidays are interesting to me, makes me wonder what they are going to do for a Christmas one. Maybe an elf or Santa but i'm hoping more for an Abominable Snowman. They could steal Phon's moc from a year or so ago.

They are really going all out with the horror themed sets this year.

*snicker* iseewhatyoudidthere.gif

Koren

I don't care very much that cheap bastards get their Not Café Corners cheaply. As long as they don't resell it and feel proud of their stolen merchandise, fine. I don't care very much for scalpers either. But I do care that fake parts are being dumped into the market, making it just as hard to find real Lego as it is to find, let's say, real original GBA games. I don't want to finally track down the last set of ridiculously expensive Grand Carousel parts in a few years and find that, hey, this doesn't look like the real thing.

If you care at all for Lego as a product and a hobby, you should take a stand against this shit. And if you think that "hey, Lego is not making the sets I want so I'll go with this instead", well, then you can fuck right off. Respectfully.
I so agree with this...

I think with so many mixel eyes to use, Lego is going to be giving us a lot of creepy sets in the future.

Also yes, these counterfeit sets will make me worry about second hand pieces, but afaik they haven't directly copied the LEGO logo on pieces?

Osahi

You're a bad person for only buying 1 at that price.

Seriously, no. Don't consider yourself a fan if Lego if you would happily buy this stuff. I could state many reasons why, but Siegfried did a way better job then I could:

Fucking hell. I hope Lego gets all their lawyers and ninjas on this. A minifig here and there, fine, especially if they aren't ones already published (although I hate that too). But this is so blatant. This is literally pissing in the face of Lego, and of you don't care about Lego as a big ole greedy corporation, at least know that it's also pissing in the face of its designers. That's Jamie's creations right there, and they're being copied right off. They even copy the fucking cover image even though the set has minor changes - probably because these fuckers have access to Lego molds but can't make retired parts - because they have no fucking creative part in their bodies.

Yes, this riles me up.

I would love a UCS Falcon too, but I acknowledge i missed out and that it's way out of my league now

Got here at 8:35am. It's now 11am (store opened at 10) and I'm still not inside yet. This is crazier than I thought it was going to be. The Lego craze is real.

Osahi

I think that the Death Star refresh could open a window of hope for the same being done for the UCS Falcon.

Certainly with the new movies. But even then 500 euro or more would be out of my league. Unless I win the lottery or land a very well paid job by then :D

Seriously, no. Don't consider yourself a fan if Lego if you would happily buy this stuff.

Sorry, but that is just not the case. There are plenty of reasons to go for fake instead of real. In some countries Lego isn't as widely available as in others, in some the prices are even higher than in our Benelux (think twice that, even for simple sets). Some people just can not afford and will never be able to afford the real deal. If they can get the enjoyment through second rate knockoffs, then so be it.

It is not our problem. The only parties that should have an issue with this are the licensees, Lego and investors. It shouldn't mean anything to anyone else. If it is not important enough for Lego to care, why should you?

No need to pick sides or condemn others who do like the off-brand stuff.

Mega Bloks is cool too (they are for instance way better at handling the TMNT lincense). They started as an imitator of Lego and look at where they are now.

Osahi

Sorry, but that is just not the case. There are plenty of reasons to go for fake instead of real. In some countries Lego isn't as widely available as in others, in some the prices are even higher than in our Benelux (think twice that, even for simple sets). Some people just can not afford and will never be able to afford the real deal. If they can get the enjoyment through second rate knockoffs, then so be it.

It is not our problem. The only parties that should have an issue with this are the licensees, Lego and investors. It shouldn't mean anything to anyone else. If it is not important enough for Lego to care, why should you?

No need to pick sides or condemn others who do like the off-brand stuff.

Mega Bloks is cool too (they are for instance way better at handling the TMNT lincense). They started as an imitator of Lego and look at where they are now.

Sorry to disagree with you. I understand stuff is or can be expensive, but that's the sad way our economy works. (Also, if you can order from ali, it is pobably not too hard to order from Amazon too). Also, unless I am really mistaken I reacted to people who don't live in countries Ith expensive or unavailable Lego.

I work in a creative industry myself, and I am very consious of the value of a creative concept alone. I do have an issue with the idea of effectively devaluating the worth of Lego. It's also a slippert slope. If you have no problem with buying cheap knock-offs, why would you still buy the real deal? You effectively support companies stealing the work of others too. You basicly say: sorry Lego, I don't give a fuck about your work, your quality nor the creative work of your designers.

And yes, it sucks when you want a retired set that is way too expensive for you. I have it all the time. But I decide to invest that money in other Lego sets, not in cheap knock-offs that in the short and long run only hurt the brand.

Edit: Forgot to react on your MB claim. That is totally different. mega Blocks never blatantly copied a Lego set. If I am not mistaken they started out with huge plastic bricks aimed at younger kids even. Lapin just steals Lego's designs.

To come back on your general argument. If you would want a 4k tv that costs 10k, and you get the offer to buy one for 1k, but you know it is stolen from the factory. Would you buy it?

When I look at the price of fake Lego sets against retired Lego sets, it's easy to see why it's tempting. I don't think me buying a Lepin Green Grocer would affect Lego's bottom-line either, since they're not giving me the opportunity to buy it from them.

There's literally no way I could ever buy one though. Having nine real modulars and two fake ones would never, ever allow me to be actually happy with my display, even if at a glance it looked fine. I would always know. I'd rather pay the fucking stupid amount it'll cost to get a real one, or at least a Bricklinked one (and I expect that one day, I will.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom