• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure the Modular is really cool but can we talk about this for a minute:

Cu56evQUkAAP-MA.jpg

I'd go for a Knuckles fig.

New tiles are fantastic, but both the SNOT piece and the tilted door are kinda going into cheating territory. I mean, Café Corner went to such extremes to make the door tilted, and making corners with exterior tiles used to be a real skill.

Then again the same was true with the 2x2 SNOT panel last year on Brick Bank, and they haven't exactly overused it so far.

Kyari

The unfortunate downside is that I'm pretty sure they've confirmed already that Sonic is the only figure that Dimensions is getting.

Kind of holding out for the ability to transform into the other characters/play as them in his Level....

I'd love a full set of Sonic minifigures because I'm a huge Sonic nerd. Hopefully bootleggers will get on it if not Lego themself :(

New tiles are fantastic, but both the SNOT piece and the tilted door are kinda going into cheating territory. I mean, Café Corner went to such extremes to make the door tilted, and making corners with exterior tiles used to be a real skill.

Then again the same was true with the 2x2 SNOT panel last year on Brick Bank, and they haven't exactly overused it so far.

I am really excited about the corner door. You should be able to put large windows in as well. That opens up a lot of great ideas and simplifies them too.

wetwired

I haven't watched the designer video yet but my first impressions are...

Slight disappointment. Given it was a larger 10 year set I was expecting a singular grand building in the vein of the town hall, a centrepiece set. Instead it's a collection of smaller buildings that on first impressions looks a bit...messy.

I haven't watched the designer video yet but my first impressions are...

Slight disappointment. Given it was a larger 10 year set I was expecting a singular grand building in the vein of the town hall, a centrepiece set. Instead it's a collection of smaller buildings that on first impressions looks a bit...messy.
Want grand? I am making a building on an 80x64 base right now.
I still need to finish it, but am just not feeling the urge. I whined last month about feeing a block on it but I don't want to quit. There is no shame in postponing it. And it is so late I don't think I have time to make my possessed train for Halloween.

Eh. Moving onto Christmas Train now. Will give me time to sketch out ideas.

Want grand? I am making a building on an 80x64 base right now.
I still need to finish it, but am just not feeling the urge. I whined last month about feeing a block on it but I don't want to quit.

I would like do see pictures of your in-progress work. Should be amazing if you want to share it even unfinished.

I would like do see pictures of your in-progress work. Should be amazing if you want to share it even unfinished.

Okay, work in progress on my theater MOC.

80x64 studs footprint. The front and back half are separate for easier building/transport between rooms.

The visible studs on the sidewalk and interior are made to attach mini figs to.

To put into perspective how large it is compared to regular modular buildings.

The plan was to print up small LEGO posters for all the frames around the sides. I designed it so I could easily take the frames off and slide paper behind them then put the frames back on. The dark tan bars above were intended for printing up stickers for "Coming Soon" or "Now Showing."
Also, my original working out of the wording for the side:
http://imgur.com/NwmQTCml[/url]
The trick was trying to work it into a wall attachment and not freestanding. Freestanding is for the front of the theater.

[url=http://imgur.com/jYhp7Mt][img]http://i.imgur.com/jYhp7Mtl.jpg[/url]
Seating in each of the two screens. I needed to use all those bases from the CMF line for something, and the steps seemed like the best thing. The railings are taken from the Maersk Train set. The seats are from pillaging the PAB wall a couple of years ago and finally using them.

Overhead of the concession stand. I planned on printing out screens to go on the black tiles overhead to show concession prices.

Behind the counter. Completely out of focus are the cleaning supplies under the counter, like paper towel rolls and spray bottles of disinfectant.

Remove the top of the hot box and see the hot dogs on the rollers and the pretzels on the spinner. Yes, the actually roll and spin.
I didn't take pics of the pop corn maker or the slurpee machine behind the counter, but in other pics you can make them out. Along with napkin and butter dispensers.
There are also coolers with bottled water in front of the registers.

Staircase to the second floor. But, it is easily removable...

...to show the janitor's closest under the stairs.

The mop sink and broom...

...the rack of paper towels, TP, and cleaning supplies in the closet.

Also, this mop bucket fits inside the closet and through careful maneuvering fits in the mop sink to fill it for clean up later.

The back wall of the ticket booth is hinged to get figures in easily. I planned to print up screens for the panels on the back wall. Note the ticket dispenser in the middle of the main area there.

Front ticket window. I planned on printing up a price list for the tile on the front.

Online ticketing available outside. I planned on printing screens or signs for the tiles visible here.

Showing the breakaway of the plates (and the second tier removed) and the restrooms available to the patrons of the theater.

Yes, the toilet is dirty. Yes, they are out of toilet paper...

Yes, the women's room has a tampon/pad dispenser...

I also planned to make some small arcade cabinets and then print up parts for them to put in the main lobby. For instance, here is a Virtua Cop inspired kiosk.

I also designed each of the two auditoriums to hold an iPad Mini so I could actually show movies on them while on display for something.

That movie theater is absolutely incredible, oh my god

Thank you. There are little touches not easily visible from the pics, like the butter pump for the popcorn. Or handicap accessible seating at the front of the theater. (Although the wheelchair doesn't fit perfectly. I made that part before the wheelchair released).

The plan for the second floor was to build two projectors and also some random storage go film canisters or hard drives (I had not decided if this was a digital or film theater). Perhaps a small area for employee vending machines in the back corner.

The big hangup I was on was the front marquee. I had been making some mock ups of designs for the front of the building, but was trying to keep them down to scale.

Once I crack that, and then the detail in the projection room, the exterior wall should go up fairly quickly since it is just a repeating pattern.

It felt good to show off what I have so far, but I think I am going to step away for a bit. I wanted to get it done for the Maker Faire at BN in a couple of weeks, but think I will just be repeating my Halloween MOC and Steampunk Airship this year. No time for my halloween train either.

Maengun1

Super late, but love the modular, love the price, will be picking up ASAP.

It would be nice if you could rearrange the buildings, but it's no big to me. The only small quibble for me is that while I love the colors on the center building, the pale blue and tan/brick color combination of the other two is so reminiscent of the Detective's Office, which I find a bit odd.

Details look incredible throughout though! I really hope this isn't the last modular, but if it is I hope they re-release all the old ones I missed
smileys-devil-527899.gif

The outside looks so much like what you would think a mall theater would look like with the spinner things as garish wall texture

I love your mocs Phon cuz of all the little details that you can't see at first. I like the slurpee machines and the medium, large, and extra large soda cups
and the pubic hairs stuck on the wall in the women's restroom.

Cool Joker, wetwired.

I know this isn't directly related, but here is another in a series of short LEGO films my cousin's son has created.

https://youtu.be/PjKMArSDNDw

He's pretty talented and his previous attempts seemed to get a fair amount of attention.

This is absolutely excellent.

I'll even forgive the non-LEGO studs at the beginning! Seriously though, I'm very impressed at how well all of this is animated. Please pass along the positive impressions.

Edit: Damn the popcorn in his other video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiOnh3TgOK8 I love it.

willp2003

Ha I like the animation.

Been looking at the assembly square again. The only thing I don't like is that it seems you have to go through one small business to get to another one.

mclem

Ha I like the animation.

Been looking at the assembly square again. The only thing I don't like is that it seems you have to go through one small business to get to another one.

The bakery may start to worry if the screams from upstairs might affect their business.

Ha I like the animation.

I can't decide if i'm gonna try and modify this problem away or revel in it.

it's not that bad, now that I double-check. I thought it was much more of a labyrinth at first-glance. Going through the instrument store to get to the dance studio ain't that weird, and they have direct access to their staircase through the back door. It's still pretty hilarious that the photographer has to enter through the dentist and the woman has to do the same to get home.

I might actually try to make this more of a labyrinth if i mod it. a cryptic mess of a modular town sounds like fun.

wetwired

Legs are done, should be in the mail up to me today. I've got custom cloth coattails like the Dapper Mickey from the Disney Castle to go along with all of them along with green hair,a top hat and a feather

14803303_10210738005390097_644200526_o.jpg

wetwired

Okay, work in progress on my theater MOC.

Looks great, my favourite detail is actually the bathrooms haha. The exterior with the posters looks like it could use some colour but I think once the posters are all in that will fix that.

My only suggestion is the carpet colours, here in Australia they're usually like a deep red or royal blue with hints of gold or silver. Maybe knock up some rope barriers to place around either leading up to the concession stand or into the theaters themselves.

It screams for integrated lighting :p

TheFuzz

Legs are done, should be in the mail up to me today. I've got custom cloth coattails like the Dapper Mickey from the Disney Castle to go along with all of them along with green hair,a top hat and a feather

14803303_10210738005390097_644200526_o.jpg
Awesome work, wet. I'm extremely interested in these if you end up selling to us US folk.

Thank you. There are little touches not easily visible from the pics, like the butter pump for the popcorn. Or handicap accessible seating at the front of the theater. (Although the wheelchair doesn't fit perfectly. I made that part before the wheelchair released).

The plan for the second floor was to build two projectors and also some random storage go film canisters or hard drives (I had not decided if this was a digital or film theater). Perhaps a small area for employee vending machines in the back corner.

The big hangup I was on was the front marquee. I had been making some mock ups of designs for the front of the building, but was trying to keep them down to scale.

Once I crack that, and then the detail in the projection room, the exterior wall should go up fairly quickly since it is just a repeating pattern.

It felt good to show off what I have so far, but I think I am going to step away for a bit. I wanted to get it done for the Maker Faire at BN in a couple of weeks, but think I will just be repeating my Halloween MOC and Steampunk Airship this year. No time for my halloween train either.
Incredible work, Phon. The floor pattern is so theatre-ish.

Looks great, my favourite detail is actually the bathrooms haha. The exterior with the posters looks like it could use some colour but I think once the posters are all in that will fix that.

My only suggestion is the carpet colours, here in Australia they're usually like a deep red or royal blue with hints of gold or silver. Maybe knock up some rope barriers to place around either leading up to the concession stand or into the theaters themselves.

It screams for integrated lighting :p
Carpet is so odd at the theaters here. One place is neutral, the other is garish like I used.

And yeah, the outside is bland with all the white. The posters should fix that once I print them.

And I never thought about integrated lighting. :)
Although I built some lights on the underside of the second floor.

Also, thanks for the feedback. And the bathroom is my favorite part too. Oddly, I began by building around it since it was the original thing I built.

Orange green and purple look about right for most theaters that I've been to.

In fact if I GIS local theaters this is one of the first images

i9qLPBu.jpg

valkyre

Hello guys, have a question here that especially people in UK and Germany could help me with.

My brother who lives in Frankfurt has bought me the Detective Office set and he is traveling to the UK (London) by plane to meet my parents for his graduation ceremony. He will travel only with carry on luggage and my question is whether he can bring the Lego bags with him (no box) on the plane in his carry on luggage and then give it to my parents when they meet up, who will then bring it back to me (also in their carry on luggage on plane)....

In a few words, is Lego allowed on a plane in your carry on luggage or is it going to create problems? Thanks.

Hello guys, have a question here that especially people in UK and Germany could help me with.

My brother who lives in Frankfurt has bought me the Detective Office set and he is traveling to the UK (London) by plane to meet my parents for his graduation ceremony. He will travel only with carry on luggage and my question is whether he can bring the Lego bags with him (no box) on the plane in his carry on luggage and then give it to my parents when they meet up, who will then bring it back to me (also in their carry on luggage on plane)....

In a few words, is Lego allowed on a plane in your carry on luggage or is it going to create problems? Thanks.

I've brought big Lego bags as carry on luggage multiple times, in Sweden. It should be fine.

Currently building Sea Cow and... what a BEAST! I am more than halfway done i think, and it's already the best Pirate ship i've ever built! It's just so...meaty? The actual hull is thick, and filled with stuff, almost to the point that it makes the Black Pearl and similar ships feel like poor 2D cardboard cutouts or something lol.

Also: DAT captain's cabin!!!

Only regret i already see coming is where the hell am i gonna put this thing after i'm done? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom