• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT5| DARKNESS! NO MONEY! (or Break the Rules! Mix the Bags!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I quickly threw these together for my son's 2nd birthday yesterday as table decoration :)

isT2V7f.jpg

Wish i had had more time to make more, they're kinda Mixels inspired but smaller, pretty basic and without articulation obviously... I dig the red one, reminds me of a reverse snowman sort of ;)

Jimbro72

Not very good at linking stuff in a post but here is a link to what appears to be a shot of the box for the Hoth Base, assuming this is legit.

http://http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118611&st=5450#entry2469853

I like it and will get it but because it is a lot of smaller to medium size builds, it doesn't scream $250 set to me since it lacks one huge centerpiece type build like the Ewok Village set had. And at only 2144 pieces, $200 would have felt a lot better for this. Or even $220.

Ponn

Banned
Not very good at linking stuff in a post but here is a link to what appears to be a shot of the box for the Hoth Base, assuming this is legit.

http://http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=118611&st=5450#entry2469853

I like it and will get it but because it is a lot of smaller to medium size builds, it doesn't scream $250 set to me since it lacks one huge centerpiece type build like the Ewok Village set had. And at only 2144 pieces, $200 would have felt a lot better for this. Or even $220.

Looks legit. Man i don't know now though. I know people aren't feeling the Bat Cave but i'm now more excited for that than Hoth now. At least the Batcave has some iconic vehicles, lots of unique figs and though its a playset also doesn't seem as disjointed as this set here. I would love an opportunity to get the Wampa and cave again but I would rather see it in a separate set with that version of luke and han. Maybe even a ghost/translucent Obi Wan fig to update the set and make it appealing as like a $50 set. Save those pieces and put them back into Echo base to give it more oomph. It just looks really anemic as of now spread too thin. My thoughts will probably change with a designer video, or maybe not. Do wish I would have picked up an extra AT-AT though.

I quickly threw these together for my son's 2nd birthday yesterday as table decoration :)

Wish i had had more time to make more, they're kinda Mixels inspired but smaller, pretty basic and without articulation obviously... I dig the red one, reminds me of a reverse snowman sort of ;)

Those look great and fun, you're a great dad. Tangent topic but how great would it be to be a Lego Mixels designer? I mean i'm sure just working there would be fun but imagine just working on the Mixels line and all the crazy shit you could come up with and call it your job.

ruxtpin

Banned
Looks legit. Man i don't know now though. I know people aren't feeling the Bat Cave but i'm now more excited for that than Hoth now. At least the Batcave has some iconic vehicles, lots of unique figs and though its a playset also doesn't seem as disjointed as this set here. I would love an opportunity to get the Wampa and cave again but I would rather see it in a separate set with that version of luke and han. Maybe even a ghost/translucent Obi Wan fig to update the set and make it appealing as like a $50 set. Save those pieces and put them back into Echo base to give it more oomph. It just looks really anemic as of now spread too thin. My thoughts will probably change with a designer video, or maybe not. Do wish I would have picked up an extra AT-AT though.

Yeah... This is... I donno' - the set just seems underwhelming to me.

Jimbro72

It's the Winter Village Market all over again, where instead of one big main build in the set, it's just a lot of smaller to medium sized builds collected together into a large set that feels underwhelming for the price at the end of the day. It really does feel like they could have broken this up into 4 separate sets rather than one set. Instead of doing a whole wave of Hoth releases, they decided to throw them all together in one set. I suppose it's a great set for those who have little to none of the previous Hoth sets but lacks a little something to some of those who may have all the other previous sets. Also a tad disappointed that out of the 15, or so, figures it comes with, there are only 2 Snowtroopers. Not much of an Assault.

Keaner

Neo Member

I'm so glad this set is just a rehash of the older Hoth sets -- I can absolutely pass on this one without feeling like I'm missing out on anything.

Rootbeer

Banned
I don't own a lot of older Hoth stuff. Just the newest AT-AT, Snowspeeder, and the slightly older Luke in Wampa's Cave with the Wampa bigfig.

So when combined with this new set I'll have a pretty nice setup.

I am disappointed that it doesn't have Luke in the Bacta Tank, but thankfully that's one of the minifigs I picked up a while back as a single.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

Looks like they threw together 8089, 7666, 7749 and added the generator. Really bad value for the price, like the batcave this looks like a combination of three smaller sets that together would sell for $150 to $175.

Fowler

Looks like they threw together 8089, 7666, 7749 and added the generator. Really bad value for the price, like the batcave this looks like a combination of three smaller sets that together would sell for $150 to $175.

Yeah I think that ties into what Jimbro said -- it doesn't feel like one SET, it feels like a bunch of little sets in one box.

Doesn't help that the bunker, shield generator and ion cannon are all three objects of completely different scale thrown together.

BUT HAVING SAID THAT...

I want a good Hoth setup to go with my existing AT-AT. And -- as a collection of Hoth elements in one box -- this does that trick.

Not something inspiring, but something convenient, I guess.

That box makes the Hoth set very disappointing. I understand the Star Wars/Disney tax, but that is probably $75-100 more than it should be. As others have said, it makes the Batcave look like a great deal in comparison.

I think a major mistake here is including the Wampa cave area. Looks weak, but they had to throw it in to get Han and Luke into the set... Would have been better to make a seperate set with a bigger cave. I would have maybe gone with the Probe Droid if they absolutely wanted Luke and Han in the set. Could have added Chewie too.

If I were Lego I would have kept the AT-AT set and Snowspeeder sets around to supplement this set.

ghostmind

My reaction is similar, in that I am underwhelmed. If you've been collecting Star Wars sets for the last 6 to 8 years, then you have most of these builds already, or at least different versions of them. However, if you haven't been collecting SW, then this set is a great way to get an almost complete Hoth scene - just add an AT-AT or two.

It will be nice to get 15 new Hoth minifigs, as we'll as another Tauntaun and Wampa, but I don't think this set nearly lives up to the greatness that is the Ewok Village.

Kipp

but I am taking tiny steps forward
Do we know for sure that that's legit?

That looks incredibly weak compared to Ewok Village.

Osahi

It was allready an easy pass due to the price (I can't spend over 200 euro's on a set, and it seems like this will be a 250 to 300 one), but the box confirms it. Shame, because I'd love a little Hoth diorama with my At-At and Luke's speeder. I'll think I'll settle for the smaller hoth attack they released this year, when it comes down in price to pad out my Hoth set-up.

Pretty sure it has cool playfeatures though.

neonglow

That set is a pass. For $250, I'd expect it to have more of an interior. This is just an exterior facade with lots of parts that I already own in previous sets.

Ryuuroden

I have like 8 to 10 of all the various previous smaller hoth sets set up looking pretty much like that new set lol. I think I shared it on here before. I probably will not buy the set but I will use the directions to add an ion cannon and shield generator to my display as well as enlarge my hoth base. I have more than enough minifigs already from hoth battlepacks

Star Wars Tax is strong with this one, it doesn't look like a 250 dollar set to me. I sorta like the look to it but it needs a bit more. A lot more Imperial Forces for one. If it ever went on sale like that UCS B-Wing...then I would jump on it.

Count me in the super disappointed category as well... then again i knew it was gonna be a playset, but so is Ewok Village and THAT at least looks pretty damn good compared to this!

Also: Is that actually the very SAME Wampa than the Wampa Cave set one? ( Only the toes looks kinda different hmmm)

I don't know why, but I am kind of angry about this set.

There have been plenty of sets I haven't been interested in before because I didn't think it was a good set/value. But this just feels un-Lego like in terms of value.

Almost like the license made the set pricing be way out of proportion. If this was a $150 set maybe even stretching to $200 I'd be ok with it, but this just feels like well its Star Wars and we have to pay Disney. Make it $100 more than it should be, fanboys will still buy it.

neonglow

Images of this set are being actively taken down by LEGO. One of their ambassadors leaked the images and they are not happy about it. There's an embargo until Saturday.

ghostmind

Images of this set are being actively taken down by LEGO. One of their ambassadors leaked the images and they are not happy about it. There's an embargo until Saturday.

Oh LEGO... perhaps you shouldn't have published a video on your own Youtube channel, literally showing off this set, over 6 months ago.

mkDdunf.jpg

http://youtu.be/a9CZkBprH6c

I really wonder about the delay now. If the set was retooled, it wasn't by much, as the video shows almost everything.

Ponn

Banned
Back of the box

It's okay. You really felt like you got a lot more with the Ewok Village though.

Ugh, that makes me feel worse about it. The "base" is so pathetic looking. I would have to get two sets and combine them to make me feel better about it but that would be $500.
May sound stupid but getting it for a winter village scene is what might push me towards getting it.

"Attack on The North Pole: The Night the Reindeer Died!"

ghostmind

Republishing my "History of LEGO Hoth sets" from way back in OT2, with the recent additions (not including AT-AT's and Snowspeeder sets):

I'm confused. The box lineup and the description say 5 minifigs, the big picture on the box shows 6 minifigs, and the bottom image shows 7 minifigs (including what appears to be 2 Luke's).

It's a mess... I think the box says "Snowtroopers x2", which they have done in the past, but then why show the Rebel troopers separately, unless they have different heads. The 2 Luke's thing is an error, and I wonder if this set was originally supposed to have Luke & Dack.

As to the set itself, why do we have a speeder bike on Hoth? I don't recall that in ESB. Wouldn't an ice planet be cold enough without travelling at high speeds, which would markedly increase the wind chill?

I realize that this isn't the first time they've given us a Hoth speederbike (in fact its the third... weee!), but try something different.

Let's go on a little history trip:

xZZPY.jpg

2007 brought us the first LEGO Hoth set, "Hoth Rebel Base", and it looks pretty good. We've got a Snowspeeder, a Probe Droid, a Rebel Turret, an e-web gun, and the famous doors to the Rebel Base.

uCGzO.jpg

2009 brings us "Echo Base", which isn't a very accurate name. Still, we get another turret, another e-web, a bit of a trench and OHMIGOD IS THAT HAN ON A TAUNTAUN?!?

dg6sR.jpg

2010 brought us 3 Hoth sets, but to be fair 2 of them were battle packs. The first one has some cool new Hoth rebel troopers, including one moustachioed fellow riding an armed zamboni of some kind.

eb4Gx.jpg

Our second battle pack brings us a good selection of Hoth Imperials and the first appearance of my favorite, the Hoth speeder bike (because why not have speeder bikes in every environment?)

ASbE0.jpg

One of the gems of 2010 was the "Hoth Wampa Cave". Another Snowspeeder (it had been a bit though), but a wonderful playset of the Wampa about to get snacking.

OshE5.jpg

2011 brought us this monstrosity - with only the most fleeting resemblance to "Hoth Echo Base". Remember the scene where they had to climb ladders and move boxes? There are a few gems in the rough - namely some control center parts and who wouldn't want a bacta tank with Seminude-Luke? Yay, another Han with Tauntaun! Boo, another Hoth speederbike.

lFkTz5c.jpg

Which brings us to 2013, and a set that looks like "a little bit from this, a little bit from that, and not a whole lot of new". This one screams TRU exclusive.

CrRyabs.jpg

From early 2016 (available in March in North America).

Dj1cm3g.jpg

Which brings us to this.

Osahi

I'm surprised actually by the lack of Imperial forces in this set. It's more aptly titled "Defence of Hoth", as two Snowtroopers don't exactly make much of an assault force.

The recent Hoth sets all have a serious lack of rebels. I don't own a single one, except for Luke and his pilot from the snowspeeder, but I do have around 6 snowtroopers. The Attack on Hoth only has one rebel. (Now that I type this down, it's obvious. Attack gives you more snowtroopers, defence rebels)

Back of the box

It's okay. You really felt like you got a lot more with the Ewok Village though.

wp-1455292111747.jpg

And this has actually MORE pieces. Well, I guess we should always have expected more of a collection of smaller vignettes, due to how the base looks in the movie, but I would have loved a more padded out base with some corridors and rooms, in stead of just the gate of the hangar.

Jimbro72

So how many snowspeeders have they released now over the years? 6? 7? I see 4 just in these play set type releases and I feel like there have been at least 2 stand alone snowspeeders released. Does this ship now take the lead in terms of most released SW vehicle? Well, not including the many variations of the speeder bike that is.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
The one thing I'm looking forward to is seeing how LEGO has done the closing gate - and then I'll steal the mechanism for a MOC :)

ghostmind

So how many snowspeeders have they released now over the years? 6? 7? I see 4 just in these play set type releases and I feel like there have been at least 2 stand alone snowspeeders released. Does this ship now take the lead in terms of most released SW vehicle? Well, not including the many variations of the speeder bike that is.

I'm aware of 3 system-scale standalone Snowspeeder sets, so that would be a total of 7. If that doesn't make it the most common ship, it's pretty close.

robox

how long does lego keep sets in the active lineup?

asking because i'm lttp on the lego movie, and then to its sets. the designs are amazing; everything looks like they just let the designers go crazy and mashup various theme bits together yet still have cohesiveness. i'd be interested in themes that are similar to that.

Jimbro72

Does 3 in 1 refer to the different scales?

I believe it's a reference to the occasion release of multiple stand alone sets combined into one special package at maybe a slightly lower price (usually sold at places like Costco or TRU, I think). So this would be a joke referencing that because this set looks like they just combined a few different regular Hoth releases into one large set. And, honestly, that's exactly the problem with this new set.

how long does lego keep sets in the active lineup?

asking because i'm lttp on the lego movie, and then to its sets. the designs are amazing; everything looks like they just let the designers go crazy and mashup various theme bits together yet still have cohesiveness. i'd be interested in themes that are similar to that.

For normal sets, the minimum shelf life is typically a year. It can be shorter, like the barely 8 months Monster Fighters got, but it's normally at least one year.

For Exclusives, it seems to be a 2-3 year minimum.

For things like UCS sets, it seems to be 1-2 years minimum.

The maximum for any given set depends entirely on how popular it is. The DC Superheroes Lex Luthor Mech lasted an incredibly long time due to its popularity, it was releaased in January of 2011 and I don't think they retired it until late 2014 or early 2015? Then the Death Star, the one that just recently retired, was around for about 7 years.

I believe it's a reference to the occasion release of multiple stand alone sets combined into one special package at maybe a slightly lower price (usually sold at places like Costco or TRU, I think). So this would be a joke referencing that because this set looks like they just combined a few different regular Hoth releases into one large set. And, honestly, that's exactly the problem with this new set.

Yeah, its making the joke that it is like the TRU or Costco combo sets.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Each time I see a UCS set I can skip, I should put £50 in a pot. Then I'll be ready when they finally do a UCS falcon :)

That really should have been in conjunction with EP VII IMO. a lot of the movie was a love letter to the MF so it would have been a suitable set. Hoth is entirely random it seems to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom