• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

DBT85

I'm so glad I don't care about minifigs
yet
, you people have already cost me £220 and I only joined like a week ago.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Same here. I can't imagine people buying entire sets just for a particular minifig.

Modular almost broke me but I sold all of them now - for a while I was just UCS Star Wars OT stuff, but then the expert creator vehicles grabbed me, and some of the architecture sets.

LTTP on both of these sets but I finish building the X-men Sentinel Battle and Star Wars Death Star Final Duel.

I enjoyed both. Regarding the X-Men Sentinel Battle, I wish they put more detail on the bottom of the blackbird. I love that it comes with 4 mini figs + sentinel.

The final duel was a lot of fun to build. I love the pliability to it. Good looking set.

DBT85

Same here. I can't imagine people buying entire sets just for a particular minifig.

Modular almost broke me but I sold all of them now - for a while I was just UCS Star Wars OT stuff, but then the expert creator vehicles grabbed me, and some of the architecture sets.

Yeah, i think I just need to try and a) ration myself b) not get hung up buying a spare set for years to come on the expensive sets and c) try to get the ones I want before they retire to save myself money in the longer run.

As I said before, I want several existing sets that could end this year, but I also want R2.

Haven't even thought about the modulars tbh.

yet

My interest in them comes and goes when I first got into LEGO about 6 years ago I didn't care much, but then I started to get into the Super Hero minifigs and the CMF series. Before I knew it I had a TON of CMF figures that I didn't really have any interest in.

One Christmas I used a bunch of pick-a-brick pieces I had gotten from my local LEGO stores and built little green/red Christmas presents with a different minifig inside and just gave them away to people at a party. Only the Disney and Batman CMFs got me to buy more.

I'll still occasionally want a minifig really bad, like Antman (I hate that I missed out on that great Anthony set), but I'll never spend a ton of money if the set it comes with is totally throwaway (unless it includes really good pieces I can use for other stuff).

Ponn

Banned
yet

I will be honest in a rare LegoGAF non-enabling moment and say those that don't go full deep end into collecting the mini fig part of Lego will overall be better for it from a mental and monetary standpoint. I will say with 100% confidence that the obsession with collecting just all the figs from a certain theme or line is what causes many upon many unnecessary purchases for me. I try to bricklink figs when I can but it ultimately ends up coming down to a savings of only a few bucks and at that point i'm just like fuck it and get the whole set most of the time. If you have the ability to shut off that compulsion to collect all the minifigs of anything than by god do it, save yourselves!

On the other hand, you know you are going to regret missing certain minifigs later which is going to cost you an arm and a leg to pick up in the aftermarket so just buy everything now and get it over with.

Haines

Banned
Don't care about minifigs.

So far just buy the odd small set. That way get some Lego but don't spend an arm and a leg.

The expensive sets are in incredible but I just browse the pics and such.

I'm not one that would want to display sets. I like the time building with family.

I will certainly have the odd nice set in the future but it will not be a Saturn. It will be something with meaning to me.

papluh

Brickset has added box sizes and weights for September SW sets.
The 75187 BB-8 reports:
DIMENSIONS 35.4 x 37.8 x 9.4 cm (13.9 x 14.9 x 3.7 in)
WEIGHT 1.34Kg (2.96 lb)

It is a squarish box a little deeper than 41232: Super Hero High School and weights a little more.
Weight wise it is a little more than half of UCS R2-D2 with 2100 parts.

Depending on brick size, it can be anywhere in 500-1000 range

DBT85

On the other hand, you know you are going to regret missing certain minifigs later which is going to cost you an arm and a leg to pick up in the aftermarket so just buy everything now and get it over with.

lol. You were doing so well!

I suppose I'm just not really a collector or completionist, never have been. I'll do it in a game where its fun like R&C, but can't be fucked otherwise. I know I'm never going to own some of the UCS sets, or some of the Modular sets purely due to money. Spending £200+ on a set is kind of a lot, spending £1000+ is bananas unless you've got the disposable.

Ponn

Banned
I notice no one anywhere is talking about the free minifigure travel pack thing with recent US Lego Shop orders. Its kinda cute for a freebie, it comes with the space man t-shirt alot of AFOL's love. It also comes with a shit load of accessories and a couple of buildables like a beach chair. The instructions could have done a better job explaining what you are meant to do with some of the things. I'm not quite sure what you do with the punch out bookmark type things, are they supposed to be word bubbles for the fig? The passport is full of pictures of the fig doing different vacation things and different landmarks. So i'm assuming they want people and kids to take the fig on vacation with them during the summer and take pics. Thats a neat idea so the timing of it being a freebie is good. I just think if thats what they want you do with it the suggestion should have at least be said somewhere on the box or in the passport book and better yet include a hashtag for people to post pictures to. I'm sure people will still get this and post to the general lego twitter account but they could have embraced a bit better.

Nq2n2Ug.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Brickset has added box sizes and weights for September SW sets.
The 75187 BB-8 reports:
DIMENSIONS 35.4 x 37.8 x 9.4 cm (13.9 x 14.9 x 3.7 in)
WEIGHT 1.34Kg (2.96 lb)

It is a squarish box a little deeper than 41232: Super Hero High School and weights a little more.
Weight wise it is a little more than half of UCS R2-D2 with 2100 parts.

Depending on brick size, it can be anywhere in 500-1000 range

I wonder if they'll do snot style on it. If it's true it's the same scale as R2, I kind of hope not, since R2's dome isn't.

Osahi

Old fishing store page is up at shop@home. Some new pictures and information I guess. 10 euro mark-up in Belgium (159 euro) isn't to bad either. Will be a day 1...

Just wonder if the 1x2 plates that stick out when you open the back won't come off constantly.

Nitemare1

yet

Oh don't worry. It will happen.
When i started all i was interested were the original trilogy star wars sets.
its going to spiral out of control , quickly, you're welcome! :)

Old fishing store page is up at shop@home. Some new pictures and information I guess. 10 euro mark-up in Belgium (159 euro) isn't to bad either. Will be a day 1...

Just wonder if the 1x2 plates that stick out when you open the back won't come off constantly.
They don't look like 1x2 since they have the anti stud or whatever it is called on the underside that is shown.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
It looks absolutely fantastic. I think it'll be great as either display or as a parts pack.

Not sure if all those pieces are printed though? It'll be a shame if they are stickers.

Osahi

It looks absolutely fantastic. I think it'll be great as either display or as a parts pack.

Not sure if all those pieces are printed though? It'll be a shame if they are stickers.

Untill now, all Ideas sets were without stickers. The wooden planks are confirmed as prints. In the description they mention a sticker though:

Lookout tower lower level features an office with 2 opening windows, boarded-up window with newspaper sticker, desk, chair, lamp and newspaper elements, plus a ladder to the upper level.

So i fear this might be the first Ideas set with stickers. Unsure how many there will be. Probably stuff like the 'gone fishing' sign on the door...

iuuk

A bit late to the party, but I finally finished the Saturn V, and even all the praise didn't prepair me for how great of a build it would be. Some of these techniques are absolutely insane. From the first part of the build to the much pictured second stage, all of them were even better then I expected.
Because I am an idiot I placed some of the grill pieces wrong (I had every dark gray part to the right, where it should have been dark - dark - light - light, etc.) and wanted to fix that when I had already finished that part. It really showed how it's really sturdy together, but really flimsy apart. Had to perform some precise rocket surgery to make it whole again.

And then the size. I didn't expect to have any room for it, but I wasn't prepared for just how much room I didn't have. The plan was to remove one of the shelves in my display cabinet, but I would have to remove two to make it fit... This'll have to do for now;

3e6KUJ3.jpg

papluh

I think with prints its the same as with parts, generally they will not add new part prints unless done before (or after, in not yet released but planned sets). Each new part type to be printed needs the process for the printing machine to be designed, calibrated, tested. For already printed parts they have this done.
Plus some physical limitations of the piece having protruding parts, like door handles. I know they use two different printing methods, but in different factories, Billund uses tampon print, China something else ... don't remember the details.

Untill now, all Ideas sets were without stickers. The wooden planks are confirmed as prints. In the description they mention a sticker though:

So i fear this might be the first Ideas set with stickers. Unsure how many there will be. Probably stuff like the 'gone fishing' sign on the door...

Big Bang Theory has stickers.

Edited: Beaten.

We need Walmart in Europe :(

I believe Sparmarkt, Euromarkt and a few others are owned by Walmart. Not the same thing tought

DonShula

We need Walmart in Europe :(

It's a double-edged sword. For every great clearance deal I've scored, I've gone to the store twice as often and found nothing. Just today I drove to a Walmart on my lunch break for supposedly in stock sets and came back empty handed.

It can easily turn into a time waste if you're going for a specific set and the inventory is wrong, which happens often.

When I spend 40 minutes total in drive time and have nothing to show for it, I end up wishing I'd just paid more and saved the time.

It's a double-edged sword. For every great clearance deal I've scored, I've gone to the store twice as often and found nothing. Just today I drove to a Walmart on my lunch break for supposedly in stock sets and came back empty handed.

It can easily turn into a time waste if you're going for a specific set and the inventory is wrong, which happens often.

When I spend 40 minutes total in drive time and have nothing to show for it, I end up wishing I'd just paid more and saved the time.

I hear you but then... IF you luck out you luck out in a HUGE way, i mean that's like 92% discount or something LOL

Weevilone

I just chalk that up as the thrill of the chase. I'm sure I'd be better off just buying the stuff I want at full price and spending my time wisely. It's more fun to chase the occasional deal sometimes.

Top Bottom