• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

I bought a friends set for the wife, the dog grooming shop was on sale and she runs one, so it was a neat fit.
Now get her this:
51302639_Alt01

Just got the Silent Mary and now I'm dying to get the Black Pearl and it's like $900 online. Whyyyyyy...

I really like the construction of Silent Mary but as display pieces, Black Pearl and Queen's Mary Revange are a lot better. Also if you can get it, QMR >>> BP.

I am glad I got both sets at the time, even before I was into Lego (they looked soooo cool).

_Rob_

Just got the Silent Mary and now I'm dying to get the Black Pearl and it's like $900 online. Whyyyyyy...

They're fantastic. I manage to pick up both the Mary and the Pearl for around £100 each second hand on eBay (missing a few figures), there's still hope!

I placed an order on Bricks & Pieces a few weeks ago - the order shows as complete but nothing was ever delivered.

I don't think I've ever ordered from that service before - is this standard?

Edit - aaaaaand they just arrived. I need to post on GAF whenever a package is slow, apparently.

Rolsen

Neo Member
Finished the Saturn V. I don't want to sound hyperbolic, but I think this might be my favorite official set of the last 5 years. Building techniques are next level.

Osahi

Finished the Saturn V. I don't want to sound hyperbolic, but I think this might be my favorite official set of the last 5 years. Building techniques are next level.

I am three bags in. (Having loads of work, it's a nice way to wind down from the stress, doing short bursts of building). It's indeed pretty crazy how the whole thing is structured. It's 90% SNOT and locking things together so another thing fits right in to give the illusion of a rounded form. Brilliant.

I am three bags in. (Having loads of work, it's a nice way to wind down from the stress, doing short bursts of building). It's indeed pretty crazy how the whole thing is structured. It's 90% SNOT and locking things together so another thing fits right in to give the illusion of a rounded form. Brilliant.

If you like that aspect, get some other Mike Psiaki designed sets like the Ferrari and Beetle. That seems to be his schtick, and it is awesome.

Too bad LEGO doesn't have the Star Trek license. Those clip and restriction techniques to get curved surfaces would help make a badass UCS Enterprise.

Rolsen

Neo Member
Too bad LEGO doesn't have the Star Trek license. Those clip and restriction techniques to get curved surfaces would help make a badass UCS Enterprise.

That would be so amazing. Just thinking of an entire line of UCS sized Federation starship series is making me smile!

Argh, watched the review of Sunshine Catamaran and it seems to be an even better set than the previous Friends ship. So much detail and so many usable spaces.

All this talk about Lego Star Trek, if they had that they would own basically all the relevant things in my life lol. Meanwhile, my Saturn V has landed!

I would be ALL over a UCS Enterprise, damn you Megablocks for holding that license....

I don't think Lego is interested in Star Trek since it already has Star Wars. Megablocs just get the licenses Lego don't want anymore (Sponge Bob) or adult stuff Lego won't touch (Halo, CoD, etc). If Lego really want a license they could get it I think.

DBT85

I'm all set lads

9iX8Nx1.jpg

Man. A defiant, 1701 old, new, D, E, bird of prey, warbird etc. They'd have all my money.

papluh

Finished the K-2SO today.
I never imagined LEGO would use the Ribbed hose/Corrugated pipe like that ...

It has some towering presence. I need to find space to bring Grievous from my parent's place where it is built up since Xmas in my hoarding room. And see how they compare.

It seems the bad guys still win :D Got more class ...
l93oVaO.jpg

Gero

How often does Lego come up with new sets? Like for example, they just released some new Star Wars sets and so I'm wondering when the next sets will arrive.

Woorloog

Banned
How often does Lego come up with new sets? Like for example, they just released some new Star Wars sets and so I'm wondering when the next sets will arrive.

They typically release SW sets twice or thrice a year or so, i think. At least currently, given that there are SW films in production.

You have early year releases (eg Y-wing this year), summer releases (eg the Bounty Hunter Battle Pack) and fall releases (The Last Jedi sets).
I think the fall sets will be for September maybe. Not sure, i just vague recollection of that being the usual month for them.
Release dates do depend on regions though, i think the Y-wing was released here (Finland/EU) before it was released in the US. Not sure.

ghostmind

The bulk of the themes follow an annual pattern, with a winter release in Dec/Jan, and then a summer release in May/June. Some themes are staggered to release in spring (March/April) instead, and some licensed themes release a month or two before the movie premieres.

Star Wars has added a third annual release, so far in September but soon to switch with Han Solo/Episode 9 being in the Spring, to accommodate all of the new movies being released.

D2C sets and Ideas release at their own schedule - some annually like the modular buildings or Winter Village, and some every 2 or 3 years.

Do people post bargains/deals in here? Spotted a couple of reasonable UK discounts.

Creator: Modular Modern Home is £20.97 at Asda online down from £27.99 - could be good if you want to check out the new-for-June-2017 Creator modular system. Jang thought it was a bit visually incoherent but I've bought one (at full price!) and quite like it.

Also spotted Friends: Amusement Park Hot Dog Van for £13.19 at Tesco online down from £24.99 RRP. They have some other stuff on clearance too. I've snapped one of these up because it looks relatively easy to convert to a City/Creator style and I like the giant hot dog aesthetic.

Osahi

First stage of the Saturn V done, so I'm about halfway now if you count by the bag numbers.

This is, without any doubt, the most complex set I ever built. And I have experience with Creator Expert and UCS sets. The techniques included are so advanced, and so out-of-the-box in design, I sometimes can't even fathom how anybody would think of stuff like this (Psiaki must have quite the analytic and visual brain). Lot's of little stuff just blew me away, like je grey upper parts of the engines with the ratchet joints (so simple, but I would never think of that!), the parts with the grill pieces and the clips, ...

Downside of this complexity is that at times I found the whole thing hard to put together. Not all instructions are super clear, especially when you have to click a subbuild exactly in the right place of the bigger one. I have to admit I had an accident or two were whole parts came loose because I had trouble alining bricks balancing on just one studd.

The end result is amazing though, and I can't wait to find out what else it has in store for me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I would be ALL over a UCS Enterprise, damn you Megablocks for holding that license....

Megablocks set looks nice, I bought one myself a few months ago when it was on sale for $100.

But it is the most boring thing in the world to build. There are no building techniques. It's just

1. Layer of bricks
2. Layer of bricks
3. Layer of bricks
4. Layer of bricks

I can only imagine how creative LEGO would be with the set.

Osahi

First official Arc the Triomphe pic:

21036-1.jpg

Will cost $39,99 or €34,99. Don't know the price/piece ratio, but as it is Architecture, it'll probably be bad. :p

Not all instructions are super clear, especially when you have to click a subbuild exactly in the right place of the bigger one. I have to admit I had an accident or two were whole parts came loose because I had trouble alining bricks balancing on just one studd.
Very end of the first stage, you have to create four assemblies with five curved pieces attached to two 1x4 plates. It turns out, those 1x4 plates are not supposed to be attached symmetrically. Trying to attach the second stage with those wrong lead to the first stage shifting apart and pieces falling into the giant center cavity - it was not fun to try and fix.

Very end of the first stage, you have to create four assemblies with five curved pieces attached to two 1x4 plates. It turns out, those 1x4 plates are not supposed to be attached symmetrically. Trying to attach the second stage with those wrong lead to the first stage shifting apart and pieces falling into the giant center cavity - it was not fun to try and fix.

I know the part you mean... I made a mistake with one of them.

I also turned the red clips 90 degrees by mistake (to attach the grill section). It was a pain to fix that.

Osahi

Which step is that?

Osahi

MxMi3eB.png

That 4x1 tan piece would be closer to the rim if it was symmetric.UOTE]
If built incorrectly, the whole sections falls off when you try to attach stage II.
You mean you've put the 1x4 tan one stud up? Than I'm in the clear it seems :p

I'm probably worrying to much about it, after I had an accident fitting the minibuilds with the grill pieces in (some of those golden telescope pieces came of, and a long stretch of plates with USA popped out.

EDIT: ah, looked the step up in the manual and now I completely understand where you went wrong. I rectified the same mistake immidiatly when I saw one of my four builds was different from the rest.

Top Bottom