• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

They can't, per licencing issues.

Yeah, and unless they did a CMF line of rarer characters that LEGO hasn't used in sets (like with the LEGO Batman movie CMF), I don't see why people would buy the Super Hero sets if you could just buy the mini-figs separately.

There have been so many Super Hero sets I've wanted just for the minifigs because the sets themselves were so mediocre. I did buy the Magneto/Wolverine/Deadpool set which were all awesome minifigs, but the helicopter itself wasn't even worth building. I guess they're good for spare parts at least.

Ponn

Banned
They can't, per licencing issues.

Yea, but I want them :)

Yeah, and unless they did a CMF line of rarer characters that LEGO hasn't used in sets (like with the LEGO Batman movie CMF), I don't see why people would buy the Super Hero sets if you could just buy the mini-figs separately.

There have been so many Super Hero sets I've wanted just for the minifigs because the sets themselves were so mediocre. I did buy the Magneto/Wolverine/Deadpool set which were all awesome minifigs, but the helicopter itself wasn't even worth building. I guess they're good for spare parts at least.

I would be ok with this but it's infuriating sometimes the way they do them, like wasting so many fig slots with repeats that aren't even variants like Batman, Spider-Man or Superman. Like what they were doing with all the Iron Man variants was fine and I would be okay with that so why not do that with Batman? It would make perfect sense, especially for the Lego Batman Movie sets. And with the X-Men sets where they only did one set a year (and not even at all anymore) and each set had Wolverine and Magneto. Look, I get it they are popular characters but come on there's like a thousand Xmen and you only have a couple sets to work with. At least get the core group out there.

TheFuzz

Dammit.

Almost done with constraction K2. I already wanted the "UCS" Speeder bike and scout trooper, but this makes it worse.

Ghostmind, tell me it's crap and not to waste my time.

Tell me.

Don't tell me.

ghostmind

Dammit.

Almost done with constraction K2. I already wanted the "UCS" Speeder bike and scout trooper, but this makes it worse.

Tell me.

Don't tell me.

giphy.gif

8wZXd9o.jpg

It will be one of my Top 10 sets of 2017 guaranteed.

Dammit.

Tell me.

Don't tell me.
It looks so damn sexy on display.
Shameless repost from earlier!

It looks best from a distance. Like, stoopid good. I look forward to posing it through the months.

Had hype at reveal. Ghostmind biting first increased hype. Hype was not strong enough.

From a distance, the Scout Trooper doesn't look like LEGO. You don't see the gaps and flaws in the model. And you don't care. It is just so good.

And the speeder bike is just this awesome Technic build that just happens to fit a constraction figure on it.

The size and scale of this thing is just absolutely killer. There have been better pure LEGO builds this year, but the complete package of the Scout Trooper/Speeder Bike is extremely hard to overcome. Especially when you look at the price.

This will probably be a popular gift that I give at the holidays to many members of my family.

Should you buy the Scout Trooper set? Allow Shia Lebeouf to explain.

DO IT!

Scout Trooper flexes at his superiority to other sets around him.

Scout Trooper celebrates his awesomeness as he speeds away into the night.

Yes, I am drunk and bored.

TheFuzz

Should you buy the Scout Trooper set? Allow Shia Lebeouf to explain.

DO IT!

Scout Trooper flexes at his superiority to other sets around him.

Scout Trooper celebrates his awesomeness as he speeds away into the night.

Yes, I am drunk and bored.

Oh it's getting bought. Are Vader and/or Grievous worth tracking down?

ghostmind

Vader is ok, he's iconic, but his cape doesn't hang properly. Still worth it though.

Grievous is a monster - towering over the rest of them and just looking fierce. Definite buy.

Haines

Banned
Started working on a mega blocks TMNT classic party wagon this morn

mega blocks sucks compared to Lego. Wow

even the instructions are terrible

Started working on a mega blocks TMNT classic party wagon this morn

mega blocks sucks compared to Lego. Wow

even the instructions are terrible

I LOVE Assassin's Creed, and got one of the MegaBlox ships from the game. It turned out horrible, and I had to re-do steps a few times, because of how bad the instructions are.

The pieces barely even fit together right.

Yes to both. I own most of the constraction line. Vader is great, but General Grievous takes the cake. He's massive and the Lego constraction parts are very well suited for his mechanical body.

iosefe

Grievous is great. I only have 2 issues with him though. Bulky forearms and armor placement that doesn't fully match the character.

But those are nitpicks. If you can, get him. Vader as well. I made sure to buy both when I could and though I have built him for work, will get K-2so soon

I LOVE Assassin's Creed, and got one of the MegaBlox ships from the game. It turned out horrible, and I had to re-do steps a few times, because of how bad the instructions are.

The pieces barely even fit together right.
I wonder if the other "Building Block" companies are only able to compete by undercutting LEGO on price while lowering the quality of the plastic to keep their own expenses low.

Would they not be able to stay afloat if they improved the piece quality and also bumped up the price for the sets to make up the difference? I know LEGO was struggling before they struck gold with the Star Wars license, right?

The only non-LEGO set I've tried in recent memory was Nanoblocks, and that was because I liked the smaller size and they had some nice architecture style sets. They were OK, but definitely a little wobbly when completed compared to LEGO.

I think I got a Megablock set as a kid (some castle/fort thing) and I built it as a kid and the first time I used the catapult it broke apart since they didn't fit well enough. Bit of a design flaw, haha.

Damn it you guys, I just got into this hobby a few months ago and I'm trying my level best not to buy more sets. Especially since I'm laid off for the summer. (I start back work in August).

I was trying so hard not to buy that scout trooper/speeder bike set. But with all these posts of how awesome it is, I'm probably going to go to target right now and buy it.

F ALL OF YOU ENABLERS!! AND F TARGET FOR BEING OPEN SO LATE!!!

<3

Damn it you guys, I just got into this hobby a few months ago and I'm trying my level best not to buy more sets. Especially since I'm laid off for the summer. (I start back work in August).

I was trying so hard not to buy that scout trooper/speeder bike set. But with all these posts of how awesome it is, I'm probably going to go to target right now and buy it.

F ALL OF YOU ENABLERS!! AND F TARGET FOR BEING OPEN SO LATE!!!

<3

Look on the bright side. It is a moderately priced set and not a $100+ set. At least we are kind enough in that respect.

Look on the bright side. It is a moderately priced set and not a $100+ set. At least we are kind enough in that respect.

Thats very true. I'm just buying all these little sets and its starting to add up.

I bought the spider-man homecoming sets but will return them. I want to see if I like the movie first. I also bought the wonder woman battle set too which I will keep and give to my gf.

I don't even want to get started on my ebay purchases...

Grievous is the only one I have cuz I think it looks the most like the character. He is really huge. Doesn't scale to anything else I have, but looks great and I have no regrets. He's one of the few things about the prequels I liked.

_Rob_

Just finished building the Detective's Office last night, these modulars are so fun! I think for my bank balances sake I'll be waiting and grabbing one a month from now on.

Apologies for my ignorance, but are modulars a yearly thing, or is there no real schedule regarding new entries to the series?

willp2003

They are yearly. Double VIP points in July, so that's when I would pick one up if I was you. I did bags 1 and 2 of assembly square yesterday. Soo many pieces, but I'm just gonna take my time on it.

_Rob_

Ah I see, thank you. Perhaps I will pick up the Palace Cinema and Brick Bank together then to take advantage of the double points at the beginning of July. If I hadn't been looking forward to payday already, I certainly am now!

Assembly square looks quite the challenge! It'll definitely be the last one I pick up from the currently sold line!

DBT85

Because I was bored, I made a list of every extra points thing they've had since the start of 2015.

March 14-29 - Double Points
April 1-30 - Double points on 2 sets
June 1-30 - Bonus points on 2 sets
August 1-31 - Bonus points on 2 sets
September 1-30 - Bonus points on 2 sets
October 1-4 - Double points

February 13-15 - Double points on White House
March 7-22 - Double Points
May 1-31 - Double points on 2 sets
June 1-30 - 100 points for registering for VIP
July 1-31 - Double points on 2 sets
August 1-31 - Double points on 2 sets
September 1-30 - Double points on 2 sets
October 1-31 - Double Points
November 19-20 - Double points
December 10-11 - Double points

March 6-16 - Double points
May 4-7 - Double points on Star Wars
July 1-4 - Double points

Osahi

Currently reading Lost Stars, and I desperately want a Tie Fighter.

What are the chances of more Rogue One sets?

I would say very slim, as the next wave will be 100% The Last Jedi. Maybe in the first half of 2018, but if The Han Solo movie doesn't slip to christmas, it'll be Han Solo sets first and foremost I guess. (Maybe the Tie is featured there, who knows at the moment).

You can opt for the amazing UCS Tie offcourse, but it's quite expensive (I've got it 20% off, and it still felt a bit much. But the thing is really, really, really cool once built)

Not sure. The US certainly get more offers than EU. We haven't seen the EU store calendar for July yet.

So we have a Shrödingers promotion on our hands. It's simultanious double VIP and not for the time being. :p I do hope we get the offer too, as it would push me into buying the Carousel.

_Rob_

Not sure. The US certainly get more offers than EU. We haven't seen the EU store calendar for July yet.

Oh I hadn't even considered a location difference. As a Brit, I guess I'll wait before biting the bullet on those modulars! Seems a little late for them to be announcing it for us now though, is it not?

mclem

Because I was bored, I made a list of every extra points thing they've had since the start of 2015.

March 14-29 - Double Points
April 1-30 - Double points on 2 sets
June 1-30 - Bonus points on 2 sets
August 1-31 - Bonus points on 2 sets
September 1-30 - Bonus points on 2 sets
October 1-4 - Double points

February 13-15 - Double points on White House
March 7-22 - Double Points
May 1-31 - Double points on 2 sets
June 1-30 - 100 points for registering for VIP
July 1-31 - Double points on 2 sets
August 1-31 - Double points on 2 sets
September 1-30 - Double points on 2 sets
October 1-31 - Double Points
November 19-20 - Double points
December 10-11 - Double points

March 6-16 - Double points
May 4-7 - Double points on Star Wars
July 1-4 - Double points

Pretty sure the bonus/double points on 2 sets comes up pretty much every month, although it's not always well-advertised. There's a pair of those up for this month in UK:

I wonder if the other "Building Block" companies are only able to compete by undercutting LEGO on price while lowering the quality of the plastic to keep their own expenses low.

Would they not be able to stay afloat if they improved the piece quality and also bumped up the price for the sets to make up the difference? I know LEGO was struggling before they struck gold with the Star Wars license, right?

The only non-LEGO set I've tried in recent memory was Nanoblocks, and that was because I liked the smaller size and they had some nice architecture style sets. They were OK, but definitely a little wobbly when completed compared to LEGO.

I think I got a Megablock set as a kid (some castle/fort thing) and I built it as a kid and the first time I used the catapult it broke apart since they didn't fit well enough. Bit of a design flaw, haha.

I'd assume the cheaper quality of the pieces is what helps the other companies stay competitive, but I doubt that LEGO was having issues before Star Wars. I don't know either way honestly, but LEGO has been around for decades, which is the reason I think they were always okay.

On the parts topic, LEGO has a standard of like .03mm tolerance for faults to make sure all of their pieces always fit together right. Some of the flat MegaBlox in the AC set are like 8x10 studs, and they're warped from the start. Working off of that base, obviously the set sits "worse" as you build up on them.

Experien

Currently reading Lost Stars, and I desperately want a Tie Fighter.

What are the chances of more Rogue One sets?

I'd say don't expect a full wave but perhaps there might be one set or two thrown in in future waves kind of like how the prequel randomly gets a set each wave it seems and Episode VII just got another release this year.

My guesses on some stuff we could see and why not to count out future sets:
  • We don't have a Saw Gerrera minifigure
  • They could do a UCS Yavin IV base w/Rogue One, Rebels, & Episode IV figs
  • Eadu Confrontation set with Galen since no minifigure of him
  • Stealing the Death Star plans set, and more.
correct me if I am wrong on the minifigs

There is stuff not done. Since it is so tightly connected to Episode IV/Rebels and Disney wants to remind everyone of the Star Wars movies they made, they will release future sets I believe.

Osahi

I'd assume the cheaper quality of the pieces is what helps the other companies stay competitive, but I doubt that LEGO was having issues before Star Wars. I don't know either way honestly, but LEGO has been around for decades, which is the reason I think they were always okay.

On the parts topic, LEGO has a standard of like .03mm tolerance for faults to make sure all of their pieces always fit together right. Some of the flat MegaBlox in the AC set are like 8x10 studs, and they're warped from the start. Working off of that base, obviously the set sits "worse" as you build up on them.

They weren't doing so good in the late 90ies. If I am not mistaken they even flirted with bankrupcy at one point. It wasn't necesairily Star Wars that saved them, as they had bad financial results until halfway the year 2000s. A new CEO and renewed focus on core themes helped them back up again.

So that part of Saturn V where about 20 of these go on a long 2x1 section.

ajShpKj.png

Anyone else have a problem with the whole section curving outwards? It's looks ok after it goes onto the rest of the stage but it was just a little weird.

They weren't doing so good in the late 90ies. If I am not mistaken they even flirted with bankrupcy at one point. It wasn't necesairily Star Wars that saved them, as they had bad financial results until halfway the year 2000s. A new CEO and renewed focus on core themes helped them back up again.

Interesting, never knew that.

I had a ton as a kid (late 80s, early 90s) and really only got back into them in the past couple years (since the Simpsons house came out and on) as an adult with disposable income, haha.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So that part of Saturn V where about 20 of these go on a long 2x1 section.

ajShpKj.png

Anyone else have a problem with the whole section curving outwards? It's looks ok after it goes onto the rest of the stage but it was just a little weird.

If it's bowing outwards, it probably didn't connect properly to the studs along the section where you put it. Those angled sections can move, so you need to make sure all the studs line up before putting on the piece.

If it's bowing outwards, it probably didn't connect properly to the studs along the section where you put it. Those angled sections can move, so you need to make sure all the studs line up before putting on the piece.

I meant bowing when the tile+curved pieces are a standalone - before I attached it onto the larger main stage.

DBT85

Pretty sure the bonus/double points on 2 sets comes up pretty much every month, although it's not always well-advertised. There's a pair of those up for this month in UK:

Ahh balls, I figured it was just a worldwide thing. Got all that info from the calendars but that's no use now lol.

Well, I hope there is something for the UK next month.

Grabbed another $5 constraction set, the Death Trooper.

If these deliver the goods, I'm gonna need more.

Yeah I grabbed K2S0 and a death trooper a few days ago. I'm not a big SW fan and still have yet to even see Rogue One, but those two sets are great looking and awesome parts packs for some constraction MOCs.

Top Bottom