• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Markus

Canada Amazon: Fun in the Park is $10

How do I actually buy it at that price though? All the listed options are far more.

Probably sold out. All other listings are third party.

Just an FYI; I've noticed recently there has been a lot of fake listings set up by scam sellers on Amazon.ca over the past month. I had been trying to buy a couple of Freud table saw blades the last few weeks and got burned buying one from a third party seller (though I got my $$ back of course). At the time I bought the blade, there was only one 3rd party seller listed who was had only a few of the item at a discount compared to the other sellers and no negative feedback. Where the store was "Just Launched" and listed as being in California, and never having an issue with a Third Party seller on Amazon.ca myself, I didn't think much of it. Anywho, after going back to check my tracking number and noticing that it ended in "CN", I went to take another look at the item and noticed that the number of "Just Launched" 3rd Party sellers had jumped to about 10 and all had roughly the same low-ball price. Not to mention that the negative "never received my package" comments were flooding in for the seller I used. And it wasn't just one model of Freud blade, they spammed almost every listing for every different size and style from that brand.

But this set has legitimately gone to 50% off on Amazon.ca several times since Xmas, but its been at least a couple of months since that has happened.

Maddog

Just an FYI; I've noticed recently there has been a lot of fake listings set up by scam sellers on Amazon.ca over the past month. I had been trying to buy a couple of Freud table saw blades the last few weeks and got burned buying one from a third party seller (though I got my $$ back of course). At the time I bought the blade, there was only one 3rd party seller listed who was had only a few of the item at a discount compared to the other sellers and no negative feedback. Where the store was "Just Launched" and listed as being in California, and never having an issue with a Third Party seller on Amazon.ca myself, I didn't think much of it. Anywho, after going back to check my tracking number and noticing that it ended in "CN", I went to take another look at the item and noticed that the number of "Just Launched" 3rd Party sellers had jumped to about 10 and all had roughly the same low-ball price. Not to mention that the negative "never received my package" comments were flooding in for the seller I used. And it wasn't just one model of Freud blade, they spammed almost every listing for every different size and style from that brand.

But this set has legitimately gone to 50% off on Amazon.ca several times since Xmas, but its been at least a couple of months since that has happened.

This was legitimately sold by Amazon. I got 3 of them.

LegoGaf,

I need your help. I finished building the Ultimate Batmobile, which to be frank was a frustrating build due to the fact that the actual batmobile part is very fragile and kept falling apart.

Anyway, I have posted a few pictures below. I am having a hard time putting batgirl's batwing on top of the batmobile.

In the first picture, I pointing to the part that is supposed to snap on the batmobile, but its not. I'm struggling to make it click and stay. Did I do something wrong or is that how it is?

Also does batgirl's batwing snap onto anything or it just sits on top?

Thanks!

8I0gfeam.jpg

1xhVVnDm.jpg

s52DfADm.jpg

First official Arc the Triomphe pic:

21036-1.jpg

Will cost $39,99 or €34,99. Don't know the price/piece ratio, but as it is Architecture, it'll probably be bad. :p
I think they've been getting a bit better about the price/piece ratio with the Architecture sets.

I remember hating them when they were so poorly priced, but lately I haven't noticed much of a difference from regular sets. It helps that they've been letting the sets use more different pieces. Older Architecture sets were such incredibly simple builds with barely any colors or piece variation.

Ponn

Banned
I think they've been getting a bit better about the price/piece ratio with the Architecture sets.

I remember hating them when they were so poorly priced, but lately I haven't noticed much of a difference from regular sets. It helps that they've been letting the sets use more different pieces. Older Architecture sets were such incredibly simple builds with barely any colors or piece variation.

I like Architecture sets but they still have a couple problems for me. They are still really small models, like look at that picture that makes it seem bigger than it really is. Those are studs on that model, and those are nanofigs so thats going to be a really small model. The price per piece ratios are fair at first glance but when you put them together and realize that the majority of those parts are 1 x 1 studs, cheese slopes, tiles, etc etc it doesn't really matter anymore. I still enjoy quite a few of them though so don't want to take away from the designers and the building techniques its just more of a love/meh relationship.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like the small scale - makes it easier to have a few on display without taking up too much space. Plus I enjoy the more stylised approach needed on the smaller scale. Big fan of the mini modulars too.

I also love the big sets like tower bridge and Big Ben (although not jumped on that yet) but they take up so much space and cost so much it is a lot harder to have a large collection of them.

hmmblah

I have had 0 interest in the Saturn V. That is until you guys started posting about the build techniques and how awesome they are. Damn you LegoGAF! With it being an Ideas set I should probably grab it sooner rather than later once it's back in stock again.

Just finished Saturn V. I brought in a non-AFOL friend from work who had seen the real thing and expressed an interest in it. It was a REALLY good co-op set since almost everything was built in 2x or 4x, so we got to make almost everything and it almost halved the construction time. Took about 3,5 hours in total.

Also: holy crap at pretty much everything in the construction. I still think VW Beetle has more clever designs since it has more variation, but the sheer madness that is the second stage, just to be able to clip two sections to a 1x3 area that is almost centered...

Also: the cylinders along the side. I had no idea how they were going to attach, then I saw the nipple pieces and thought I understood, then it was done much simpler than that.

It feels pretty damn solid to me too. I don't think I'll swoosh the thing, but it can easily be lifted by the first stage and holds together from there.

Architecture series has improved greatly over the last few years, especially for the reasons you listed. Just compare the models in the skyline sets to their original stand alone ones. Or look at the recent Guggenheim Museum set to see how improved they are now.

21004-1.jpg

2009. 208pcs, $40.

21035-1.jpg

2017. 744pcs, $80

Osahi

Holy shit, stage 2 of Saturn V. The part with the transorange 1x1 flat round tiles to fix the red Snot bricks. What madness is this!

I have had 0 interest in the Saturn V. That is until you guys started posting about the build techniques and how awesome they are. Damn you LegoGAF! With it being an Ideas set I should probably grab it sooner rather than later once it's back in stock again.

x2.

Went to check the local Lego store for it and left it with the Parisian Restaurant.... My wallet.

DonShula

x2.

Went to check the local Lego store for it and left it with the Parisian Restaurant.... My wallet.

And not wait for double points?!?! You monster.

Last time we had double points I went to the store intending to buy Parisian Restaurant and they were out of stock so I bought Palace Cinema instead.

Congrats. You know own the best modular and arguably one of the best Lego sets ever

And not wait for double points?!?! You monster.

Last time we had double points I went to the store intending to buy Parisian Restaurant and they were out of stock so I bought Palace Cinema instead.

There is no double points here (Brazil) and while I could get from USA the shipping would bring the cost to same. It was out of stock in our Lego website for weeks, meaning that we probably won't get more. I wasn't in a hurry since the local shop had plenty of stock of it since it was out. However there was only one box left today (slightly damaged at one corner, but whatever). So I had to do it now. I could get from the grey market later, but nothing beats walking of store with a set. (tring to justify it for myself).

It joins Pet Shop and Grand Emporium, I had much to get yet.

DonShula

There is no double points here (Brazil) and while I could get from USA the shipping would bring the cost to same. It was out of stock in our Lego website for weeks, meaning that we probably won't get more. I wasn't in a hurry since the local shop had plenty of stock of it since it was out. However there was only one box left today (slightly damaged at one corner, but whatever). So I had to do it now. I could get from the grey market later, but nothing beats walking of store with a set. (tring to justify it for myself).

It joins Pet Shop and Grand Emporium, I had much to get yet.

In that situation you did absolutely 100% the right thing.

Ponn

Banned
BP trailer was awesome, can't wait to see what kind of sets they do. Hope they do more than one but I have a feeling with their track record thats not going to happen.

On another note I finally sat down and watched Logan tonight, I know i'm a horrible comic book fan and need to turn in my credentials. Yea, there was no way they were doing any sets for that movie even without that R rating. At least none that wouldn't be in bad taste. As for the movie itself, jesus christ. I need a bottle of vodka and to just sit in dark room for awhile.

BP trailer was awesome, can't wait to see what kind of sets they do. Hope they do more than one but I have a feeling with their track record thats not going to happen.

On another note I finally sat down and watched Logan tonight, I know i'm a horrible comic book fan and need to turn in my credentials. Yea, there was no way they were doing any sets for that movie even without that R rating. At least none that wouldn't be in bad taste. As for the movie itself, jesus christ. I need a bottle of vodka and to just sit in dark room for awhile.

I think you are right about both movies regarding Lego.

And I did not like Logan.
A bad adaptation of Old Man Logan and X-23. This first half of the movie was great, the second, really bad. No part of the kids plot makes sense, the nurse, their goal, the fact that the company considers they a failure that need to be eliminated but no lethal force is applied towards them at the end (the soldiers just tried to grab them wtf?).

Maengun1

Just finished bag 6 of the Saturn V (I've been doing 1 bag a day lol) and it's definitely one of the most interesting sets I've ever assembled in terms of just being...blown away that people actually design these things. I mean it looks so deceptively simple from pics of the finished thing but I'm consistently like 'whaaaat. what. how why what'

Internal structuring is bonkers

I don't see myself taking this one fully apart ever

I want to know which designer did what on the Saturn V. I know I keep mentioning Psiaki since I am more familiar with his work, but I want to know what kind of contributions everyone made. And also tells me other designers to look out for.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I almost can't believe it was designed by hand. Did the original ideas designers use LDD to help?

It feels like a fundamental shift in how to make complex Lego sets, they're pretty much putting pieces wherever they want, no longer bound by brick boundaries or even plates - with decent CAD software to calculate the 3D positions of pieces in space for the 'skin' of a set it could calculate the internal scaffolding

Osahi

Finished the Saturn V. What an incredible experience, and what a great model as an end result too.

Only thing I somewhat dislike is the fact that the back of the box seems to suggest you can simulate the whole landing and take-of routine, while in reality you have to break apart parts of the set to do it. Not that it matters, as this is clearly not a playset. Would've also liked a printed command module on the model itself.

This and very rare occassions of somewhat unclear instructions. But that's mainly due to the complexity of the build I guess.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finished the Saturn V. What an incredible experience, and what a great model as an end result too.

Only thing I somewhat dislike is the fact that the back of the box seems to suggest you can simulate the whole landing and take-of routine, while in reality you have to break apart parts of the set to do it. Not that it matters, as this is clearly not a playset. Would've also liked a printed command module on the model itself.

This and very rare occassions of somewhat unclear instructions. But that's mainly due to the complexity of the build I guess.

Being picky, the command module on the actual Saturn V launch vehicle wasn't the silver one that you see coming back - at launch it has a thin fairing covering it which is ejected later in the flight. So that would have been difficult to build.

I would have liked the lower fairing to maybe hinge apart/separate more like the real one though, and have a separate lunar module in there, and for the escape tower to separate more easily so the command module can dock with the lunar module.

Koren

with decent CAD software to calculate the 3D positions of pieces in space for the 'skin' of a set it could calculate the internal scaffolding
Help... I want now to design something like this, but the possibilities to explore are awfully large.

I should look again into the BL alternative to LDD and see whether they're seeking help...

wetwired

Took my Batman Lenticular Mosaic to my LUGs show this weekend, it won "Best Interactive Display"

My prize is Elves Magic Rescue from the Goblin Village lol

willp2003

Finished assembly square today. Being colour blind I had a few moments where I couldn't make out the difference between some bricks in the instructions, but thankfully I could just look at photos on brickset to see what was needed.

DonShula

Finished assembly square today. Being colour blind I had a few moments where I couldn't make out the difference between some bricks in the instructions, but thankfully I could just look at photos on brickset to see what was needed.

Don't feel bad. With the modulars I sometimes can't tell between black and gray anyway.

Woorloog

Banned
Don't feel bad. With the modulars I sometimes can't tell between black and gray anyway.

I really hate any steps where you have to use both dark gray or black. Actually, just a set having both is terrible. Unfortunately both colors seem to be common in Star Wars sets... Wish Lego would color the instructions a bit more clearly.

I really hate any steps where you have to use both dark gray or black. Actually, just a set having both is terrible. Unfortunately both colors seem to be common in Star Wars sets... Wish Lego would color the instructions a bit more clearly.

They are. Black parts always have white outlines.

Plum

I find the distinction between dark grey and light grey a lot hardee to make. Brick Bank was a pain in some parts due to this.

They are. Black parts always have white outlines.

This. And while I don't have the square yet (And I don' buy SW sets), I don't remember any set that have the same piece in two similar colors in the same bag. So you cannot confuse them on a step. Granted is not easy to tell which color a piece is from the manual images (even for an artist like me) so don't feel bad about it. But as I said, the cannot be another similar piece in the same bag.

Koren

This. And while I don't have the square yet (And I don' buy SW sets), I don't remember any set that have the same piece in two similar colors in the same bag.
Well, I remember a couple of cases like this... I even had once or twice to unbuild the model to switch a part because I got the color wrong, and I don't mix bags. Not sure what colors were involved (Dark red vs redish brown? Tan and orange? Dark vs light gray?) Not for large pieces, but for 1x1 plates, 1x1 round plates or cheeses... They also keep slightly changing the colors on the prints.

Not sure which sets, but I believe I had an issue with VW T1 (also, I'm pretty sure that the manuals I downloaded were not consistent with the content of the box, but that's another matter...)

The white-gray outlines for black bricks is quite new (but welcome).

Its when dark brown and dark blue pieces are needed that the instructions suck.

Top Bottom