• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leisure Suit Larry Kickstarter by Replay Games [Ended, $673K funded]

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1451923705/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again

So why are we jumping on the Kickstarter bandwagon with LEISURE SUIT LARRY IN THE LAND OF THE LOUNGE LIZARDS?

It’s simple. We love Larry…Larry Laffer. We were there when he was born, in 1987. We were there for his last adventure, LOVE FOR SAIL, almost exactly 10 years later.

And we’ve long wished for a version that would combine the characters and game play we already love with:

The freedom to play on mobile devices
A modern point-and-click/touchscreen interface
Updated, ultra-high res graphics
Fully voiced characters
Even more of the humor that’s made Al Lowe a household name…like “Borders” and “Enron”!

So we’re making it. From scratch. And we want YOUR help.

Do you remember Lefty's Bar from the original? Did you know it's famous?
We've already accomplished two of the hardest tasks:

Prying the Leisure Suit Larry license out of the hands of Big Software. DONE!
Convincing Al Lowe himself to come out of retirement for this top-to-bottom re-imagining of his 25-year-old creation. DONE!

What’s in it for you? That depends on what you pledge in Larry’s Kickstarter campaign!

Take a look at the list of rewards we’re giving to Larry’s supporters. They include everything from a copy of the game to actually being PART OF the game – as a character! -- to actually going to Las Vegas with your very own private limo and villa on top of the world's coolest hotels with Al Lowe and writer Josh Mandel!

Those rewards are cumulative. Pledge at the $100 level, for instance, and you’ll not only get the $100 reward, you’ll also get the rewards given for $50, $25, and $15 pledges. So your sack of goodies can fill up VERY quickly.

Now, these rewards have never been available before, and will never be available again. They’re strictly for this game, for this campaign, and every single one has been approved by Al Lowe. They are collector’s items to commemorate YOUR partnership in gaming’s biggest comeback EVER.

So please help us make LEISURE SUIT LARRY IN THE LAND OF THE LOUNGE LIZARDS: the 25th ANNIVERSARY EDITION a perverted, hilarious reality. Kick in now, and stake your claim in gaming history.

The team that created Leisure Suit Larry 1 has been reassembled to create a 2012 "Reloaded" version. Al Lowe, Josh Mandel, Sabine Duvall, and Leslie Balfour have teamed up with Replay Games to form what we call "The Dream Team" of adventure games. We'll be making Leisure Suit Larry 1-7 and keeping you guys informed every step of the way. If this game is successful then we can bring you guys the rest of the Leisure Suit Larry games (and maybe even Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Case Of The Missing Floppies)!

We couldn't do it without you, the most loyal fans in video game history!! We get all of your fan mail everyday and reply to as much of it as we possibly can. This is what drove us to create this Kickstarter campaign. Had we taken this idea to a publisher, they would've turned us down cold since they think adventure games are dead.

So, please help us make this a reality and bring Leisure Suit Larry back to his dad, Al Lowe, like he was intended. We promise to keep you laughing and wetting your pants all the way 'till the end of the game!!!

What happens if we exceed our goal?

Depending on how far past our goal we get, here's the list of things we'd like to do with the extra development effort:

Fully localize all the voice overs in to as many languages as possible. We will start with FIGS (French, Italian, German, Spanish) and then branch out from there.
We will shoot Leisure Suit Larry on to additional platforms: XBLA, PSN, Android, iPads, iPhones, Windows Phones, Kindle, and of course, Mac!
The game will come to life with a live orchestra performing all your favorite Leisure Suit Larry tunes.
More game!! Help us figure out how to add more game to Leisure Suit Larry! We've got Al and Josh standing by waiting to take orders from YOU, on how we can make the game that much better.

Sincerely,

Al, Josh, and the guys behind the scenes that are making this a dream come true for all of us!!!

p.s. we have 2 extra reward tiers but they are a bit too......"outlandish" to put in this official Kickstarter page so go here and we'll let you know what they are.

Yes, this I can whole heartedly support. The rival of old PC adventure & RPG games is awesome.

Someone get a hold of Chris Roberts and tell him to Kickstart a new Wing Commander or Privateer game!

Hex

Banned
Great series and a piece of gaming history.
Definitely in.

Another day, another Kickstarter...developers no longer paying for their own gamers because gamers are warped enough to fund them.

LSL has been a joke for years.

Ignore it and move on.
Go play whatever the hell you want to play and leave this to those that are interested.

So is this the point Kickstarter jumps the shark?

See above

There are still people who care about Leisure Suit Larry? Good luck with that one.

Troll force out in full effect today, must have been a bad weekend :(

Xater

Another day, another Kickstarter...developers no longer paying for their own gamers because gamers are warped enough to fund them.

LSL has been a joke for years.

Your post make sno fucking sense, go troll somewhere else.

Also Leisure Suit Larry gets a big FUCK YES from me. :)

Manager

I find it funny they have the balls to ask for $15 for international shipping of a $7500 pledge. Seen this on other kickstarters too.

But the backers of this kind of Kickstarter projects are getting the game they want in return. Is this a bad thing?

My point is that $500,000 might sound like a lot but the end result may be a Liesure Suit Larry game that has been significantly reduced in both length and quality. Teams like this need to get significant corporate funding, not the bare minimum from gamer handouts.

You might be paying for an inferior product.

Your post make sno fucking sense, go troll somewhere else.

Also Leisure Suit Larry gets a big FUCK YES from me. :)

Not trolling, just giving my opinion of the service and its possible ramifications.

90sRobots

I better get on my BMX XXX and The Guy Game Kickstarters before someone realizes that some things should remain in the past!

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
They had already announced the game and released info, and suddenly they need a kickstarter to finish it.

Yup, I find that a bit suspicious. Also, they're remakes of the original games, not a new game. I'd much rather have an LSL8 from Al Lowe than remakes.

And anyone who hates on the series doesn't get it. LSL3 in particular is one of the greatest adventure games of all time.

Struct09

My point is that $500,000 might sound like a lot but the end result may be a Liesure Suit Larry game that has been significantly reduced in both length and quality. Teams like this need to get significant corporate funding, not the bare minimum from gamer handouts.

This Kickstarter is slightly different than other gaming ones we've seen. The game was already under-way, the $500K will be for extra development efforts.

EDIT: At least that's how I understand it.

I don't think this will have any funding issues; I'll just wait and try it/buy it on iOS or XBLA if/when it comes to those.

My issue is more that gamers are essentially "betting" on a good Leisure Suit Larry game without seeing any screenshots, gameplay vids, etc.

I guess there no point in speaking out against it, it will definitely get funded.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I enjoyed some of the Sierra LSL games long ago and I appreciate the games historically, but to be perfectly honest, I have no interest in a new one.

MC Safety

I better get on my BMX XXX and The Guy Game Kickstarters before someone realizes that some things should remain in the past!

The Guy Game, if I recall, had some problems with one of its models being underage.

This is in addition to being the worst "game" ever made.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
is it another, all-new game in the series? or just some remake? if it is a remake, do not want.

Haunted

The Leisure Suit Larry concept has aged about as well as Duke Nukem has.

Not sure I want to see this happen. :lol

Peff

is it another, all-new game in the series? or just some remake? if it is a remake, do not want.

It's for remaking the original game. Then from that remake the other five up to LSL7 and then create LSL4 from scratch. At least that's the idea.

Stoked about this, hopefully I can buy it when people kickstart it lolz.

Does anyone else think that it's ridiculous to demand 15 bucks for international shipping when you donate whopping 7500 bucks? And once again the last reward is PIZZA PARTY! I am seeing a pattern here.

It's a remake of the first game, they have a strong blue print to go off of.

Not trolling, just giving my opinion of the service and its possible ramifications.
You seem to think all devs can self fund, if you give your opinion be ready for people to correct it.

Top Bottom