• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm curious, how do gay men compliment their SO? "You're so beautiful", "You're gorgeous", "You're hot"?

Mainly - is calling a guy "beautiful" weird? "Beautiful" sounds a lot sweeter and more meaningful than "hot".

Any of you guys watched Teen Beach Movie? I feel like such a perv...

tenn_beach_movie_a_l.jpg

The other guy (lead) is also really cute and he looks really hot when he dances...

I love musicals!!!!!

Watched the trailer, and all I can say is that Disney must be operating some kind of secret twink cloning factory. There's really no other explanation.

I'm curious, how do gay men compliment their SO? "You're so beautiful", "You're gorgeous", "You're hot"?

Mainly - is calling a guy "beautiful" weird? "Beautiful" sounds a lot sweeter and more meaningful than "hot".

I think like 9/10ths of the meaning of a compliment comes from sincerity, so say what you feel, I think worrying about wording would make it seem too premeditated rather than being spontaneous or whatever.

I've honestly never thought of beautiful as a mainly feminine compliment.

Yeah same.

Delio

When I call someone Beautiful I truely mean it. I dont think it's weird at all.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

You can simply say I want your dick in my mouth then.

I generally use pretty/gorgeous/beautiful as descriptors of people that are attractive due to their femininity while handsome and whatnot stick to masculinity. I'm usually into more femmy guys, though.

pirata

So, GayGAF...

I met this guy at a party at my house on Friday night. He's fit. He's blonde (I like blonde guys). He might be an even bigger dork than me (him liking anime came up in conversation somehow, and I semi-drunkenly recommended From the New World and the Count of Monte Cristo, which I just now realized are two of the only pieces of media from Japan that I know that have good portrayals of LGBQ characters). He seemed really cool, and I told him I thought we should hang out. He friended me on Facebook and we said we would get in touch that way.
At this point, I think he's probably straight, so I was just thinking I had made a new friend, which in of itself is exciting, since I sometimes have problems making new friends and he seems like a cool guy. But, there's the possibility...He's wearing a light blue striped v-neck. Not those super-low v-necks that look really dumb (in my opinion), but a classy one that really complimented his physique (God, I can't believe I just typed that, that sounds so stereotypically gay). He had a fairly masculine voice and demeanor. Nothing really shouted "gay"...but nothing really shouted "straight," either. And I maybe got a vibe from him that he was interested in me...? Or maybe it was the beer skewing things. I would end up that night after he had left getting perhaps the drunkest I've ever been, climbing on top of the roof of the building next-door with my housemates in my underwear, making a drunk post on my friend's Facebook wall while watching the Magic School Bus on Netflix ("We're lost in space without a teacher"), and throwing up due to being drunk for the first time. But that's neither here, nor there.

I look at his Facebook later on, and we have a shit-ton of liked stuff in common. He's even dorkier than I could have imagined. He's also into all sorts of outdoorsy stuff, and he's raising money for a bike trip to Alaska from Austin to benefit cancer research. He looks awesome without a shirt, with an almost swimmer-like body (all that cycling and marathon-running).

I also find the following:
1. He is listed as sigle.
2. Sexual preference is not listed. I find that most straight single guys list it. I do not, because I don't want my family to know. And I don't like to be labeled. I like guys. If you ask me, I'll tell you so, but I generally don't tell people unless they ask or it comes up.
3.among the things in his interests is LGTB rights, Austin Pride (aka pride week festival), and various equality organizations
4. Past events include numerous pro-LBGQ events, such as pride week, marches, and even a a "masQueerade." However, there's also "Being an Ally in corporate America" and "Out and Allied at the Tower," which suggests that it's possible that he might just have several gay friends and is really passionate about gay rights?

Either way, he's definitely someone I want to hang out with, but I'm stuck 50-50 on whether I think he's gay or not. Is he? I want him to be, even though there's still the whole thing about whether he'd ever be interested in me as more than a friend...I already have been in contact with him...we might hang out later this week. Oh, and he said he'd since seen a little bit of From the New World and described it as "pretty killer."

What do you think, GayGAF?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The correct answer in 95% of these instances is just ask. No games, no playing detective.

"Oh hey, I noticed you support a lot of cool lgbt events and organizations. Mind if I ask if you're gay or if these are mostly some things you feel strongly about staying involved in? I should really try to be more active in the community myself..." etc

Kangi

"You're adorable"? I dunno, if someone's my SO I think the relationship's past the point of needing to compliment each other's looks. "You're wonderful" or something would seem more comfortable to me.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

That's like asking what do men or women use. Really, you can use whatever you want. There's no right way.

The queer stuff raises his homo percent by 30. So ask him out.

"You're adorable"? I dunno, if someone's my SO I think the relationship's past the point of needing to compliment each other's looks. "You're wonderful" or something would seem more comfortable to me.
If you think your boyfriend looks cute (and you most probably do), you'll have no reason why not to tell him he's cute or something when he especially looks it.

pirata

The correct answer in 95% of these instances is just ask. No games, no playing detective.

"Oh hey, I noticed you support a lot of cool lgbt events and organizations. Mind if I ask if you're gay or if these are mostly some things you feel strongly about staying involved in? I should really try to be more active in the community myself..." etc

Yeah, something like this is probably best. Letting on that I like him at all before I can ascertain whether or not he likes dudes is probably not a good start for a friendship if straight.

Huh, I guess I do like him. That's the first time I've really said that to myself.

Also...I have no experience. I've never had sex. I've never put on a condom. I've never been in a relationship. I've never kissed anyone....I've only been hit on awkwardly by people I'm not interested in.

In other words, OH GOD GAF, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING I DON'T KNOW NOTHING 'BOUT NO BIRDS AND NO BABIES I'M GOING TO MAKE SUCH A FOOL OF MYSELF AND SCARE HIM OFF NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*deep breath*

I know, I can't freak out. But this is really weird for me. I only admitted to myself that I like men a little over two years ago and told someone for the first time a little over one year ago. This is weird. I usually don't even think about this kind of stuff.

Mark1

I'd call him all three at some point. 'Beautiful' would only be said in private and would refer to everything about him if I said it, personality, well groomed, the lot. Hot is obvious as is gorgeous.

Bringing up doing things privately (this question is mainly towards same-sex couples) but would you kiss him/her in public? I'm not sure if I would.

I think this is one of the better ways to go about it. This could be a method I'll use in the future.

I'm heading to a bathhouse for the first time in a few days. What do I need to know before I make a total fool of myself.
Do I just rock up with cash and hand get a towel on the way in? Do i bring flip flops or something to avoid all the VD glued to the floor? Reveal your wisdom gay-gaf.

Bailey 87

I call my SO beautiful sometimes, but I prefer to say handsome.

Maybe like this? lol
380.jpg

I also say this. I've been known to say "shit bitch you be looking extra fine today" :p

What do you think, GayGAF?

Wears a V neck, doesn't set his preference on facebook (this is a big sign imo) and has LGBT stuff on his profile. My gaydar says there's a 80% chance of him being gay and a 20% chance of him being one of those straight guys who will have gay sex after a couple drinks. So I say go for it :)

So, GayGAF...

I met this guy at a party at my house on Friday night. He's fit. He's blonde (I like blonde guys). He might be an even bigger dork than me

I look at his Facebook later on, and we have a shit-ton of liked stuff in common. He's even dorkier than I could have imagined. He's also into all sorts of outdoorsy stuff, and he's raising money for a bike trip to Alaska from Austin to benefit cancer research. He looks awesome without a shirt, with an almost swimmer-like body (all that cycling and marathon-running)

I think the word you meant to use is geek (or nerd? Although the latter has more negative connotations for some people. I consider myself more of a nerd than a geek)

Don't call yourself or someone you like a dork.

dictionary.com said:
dork - noun

1. a silly, out-of-touch person who tends to look odd or behave ridiculously around others; a social misfit

Grakl

I'd call him all three at some point. 'Beautiful' would only be said in private and would refer to everything about him if I said it, personality, well groomed, the lot. Hot is obvious as is gorgeous.

Bringing up doing things privately (this question is mainly towards same-sex couples) but would you kiss him/her in public? I'm not sure if I would.

I think this is one of the better ways to go about it. This could be a method I'll use in the future.

A quick kiss in public is fine, I like it.

Ty4on

^^^^ Not for Russians :(
I think the word you meant to use is geek (or nerd? Although the latter has more negative connotations for some people. I consider myself more of a nerd than a geek)

It's supposed to be this:
Nerd_Dork_Geek_Venn_Diagram.jpg

But for whatever reason I think of a tech person (think TWIT) when I think of geek and comic books/animes when I think of dork. Not that any are more or less social.

Alrus

I haven't seen Dork used in a mean manner in a while.

Cute couple. You (specially you) look great.

And I mean that I still don't know if I'm fully gay or bi. It's so confusing lately.

Thanks :) And don't worry too much about it honestly, just let things happen and you'll end up knowing. No need to overthink it.

In other words, OH GOD GAF, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING I DON'T KNOW NOTHING 'BOUT NO BIRDS AND NO BABIES I'M GOING TO MAKE SUCH A FOOL OF MYSELF AND SCARE HIM OFF NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*deep breath*

I know, I can't freak out. But this is really weird for me. I only admitted to myself that I like men a little over two years ago and told someone for the first time a little over one year ago. This is weird. I usually don't even think about this kind of stuff.

Heh don't fret too much about it, honestly if you're not comfortable directly asking him, just try to befriend him and get to know him better. Then you can decide what to do.

And I never had sex with a dude until a year or so ago, you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly, just try to be relaxed about it :)

Alcoori

Might seem like you wouldn't do it, but once you're in a relationship you will find yourself doing things that you never thought you would.

Dork is fine, it can be used in an endearing way same way as nerd.

Grakl

Oh, and I agree with beautiful referring to the whole of a person. I love calling my boyfriend (and being called) beautiful.

^^^^ Not for Russians :(

It's supposed to be this:
Nerd_Dork_Geek_Venn_Diagram.jpg

But for whatever reason I think of a tech person (think TWIT) when I think of geek and comic books/animes when I think of dork. Not that any are more or less social.

Wow. Who uses "Dweeb" in this day and age? I don't think my parents even use that term.

I've never heard dork used in a positive/endearing manner before. And the diagram posted above clearly shows it is less desirable than geek, nerd, or even dweeb!

I know it's not right but my interpretation's always been:

Nerd: obsession / fan of something that isn't necessarily geeky. See band nerds, etc.

Geek: Fan of things generally less socially acceptable like indie video games, THIS IS JUST LIKE ONE OF MY JAPANESE ANIMES, figurines etc.

Dork: Pretty much out of the lexicon other than for the sake of ironically calling people it as a term of endearment whenever they do something nerdy that happens to be cute.

Alcoori

Cool story bro :p

Doesn't change the fact that the word's definition, and overwhelming usage in popular culture and otherwise, is negative.

But that's what I'm trying to tell you, in popular culture it is NOT pejorative. At least not anymore.

Dork: Pretty much out of the lexicon other than for the sake of ironically calling people it as a term of endearment whenever they do something nerdy that happens to be cute.

Exactly, that's how it's used now.

Mark1

Might seem like you wouldn't do it, but once you're in a relationship you will find yourself doing things that you never thought you would.
Yeah I'm thinking this will happen. I'd love to just randomly kiss my guy when out with him. And I'd want to hold his hand for a connection and love.

Masamuna

I tell my hubby on a regular basis that he's beautiful, sexy, purdy, handsome, wonderful. It evens out the constant cat calls and sex puns i throw at him daily.

The conjuring was great! Definitely wan's best work.

I know this is irrelevant by now but I just need to vent. Yesterday I made a very mind-boggling discovery about my ex (who I broke up with about 3 months ago because I felt he didn't try hard enough, making me feel unimportant, I also ranted about it a couple of times here).

Since we broke up we have kept in touch, even went out a couple of times to have lunch since we weren't in bad terms, as far as I could see he wished I didn't break up with him. About a week or so ago I noticed a picture of him with a guy on instagram, someone I didn't know, they were out partying (for his belated birthday) with some other friends too who were in other pictures. Yesterday I saw another pic, it was just popcorn but it said "courtesy of XX" (XX being the initials of this other guy). He replied in the picture so I just had to click away.

So I go through this guys pics and it seems they are dating indeed, he tags my ex on some posts too with his initials. Then I came to a picture with a sign that read "Happy 8 Months". With tag included. By then I wasn't sure about the tag or anything else. Then I read back my ex's twitter because I thought I remembered something. Same day. A tweet reads "Eight :)".

I lost it for a bit. I'm still really confused. Again, I know it doesn't matter anymore. Could they have been dating from even before we started dating? (We started dating about 7 months ago). It doesn't make sense at all. Even when I felt I wasn't important enough for him sometimes I would never think he'd be cheating on me, there weren't any signs (or maybe I was too blind to see).

I'm hoping maybe they just met 8 months ago for the first time (I think he pointed out the day we met once too) which would be kind of weird (because it was before we met).

I guess I just don't want to feel like I was a big fool.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Part of me was like, "Shit, Victor, get over it!"

The other part was like, "How can I say that, I'd be ten times worse in that situation. I've been worse in lesser times!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom