• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

I have 3 questions regarding sexuality.

Am I the only person here who has OCD that struggles with their sexuality? What are the reasons for people to deny they're gay? Has there ever been a gay person who felt the same way only not wanting to be straight?

1: Maybe? I have untreated OCD (although I've come to terms with the fact that I like cock)
2: Societal pressure to fit in, homophobia, shame due to cultural ideas about homosexuality, religion, etc. There's plenty of reasons, but most of them involve shame and fear. It sucks.
3: Yes, but reasons to hide/feel awkward about your sexuality aren't the same for everyone. I hide my sexuality in unsafe areas, like my current location, but it doesn't mean I want to be straight... at all.

Just identify yourself as what you're attracted to. If you only jerk it to one gender, that's a pretty strong indicator.

Today is one of those days when I feel like this whole being friends with my crush is taking it's toll on me. We're still talking everyday and things seem to be good.

He had a sort of breakdown a couple of days ago (I noticed on twitter, asked him if he was ok, he said no, I told him to let me know if I could do anything to cheer him up, he just said thanks). This is mostly speculation by me but I believe he had some unfinished business with an old ex who has been living abroad for a while now. I don't have a clue how that worked but it seems shit went down and I guess whatever they had going on is over. I think he hadn't gotten over him (though it has been more than a year since the guy left as far as I can see).

Somehow I'm glad to see him showing this other side of him (even if not directly to me) that he seemed to be trying to shut off at first (acting like: "I'm an asshole", "I have no feelings"). I hope I can help him feeling better him but don't really count on actually making a difference, since we've never been close anyway. He probably has other friends for that.

Today I just feel lonely. It's weird. Talking so much to someone, hanging out with him and his friends and still feeling lonely. I guess it's because I'm not getting "what I want" from him. I just hope it will get easier with time.

I have 3 questions regarding sexuality.

Am I the only person here who has OCD that struggles with their sexuality? What are the reasons for people to deny they're gay? Has there ever been a gay person who felt the same way only not wanting to be straight?

I've not posted in this thread before, nor do I generally visit it regularly (I actually came into post somewhat about the bolded though so it's suitable that this is on the first page I visit), but regarding the bolded, I had always thought to myself that while I'm not 'openly out' (this was in part because there is still a niggling of the doubt that 'perhaps I'm bisexual and just haven't found the right woman yet'), that is to say that while I've commented to a few people about my sexuality it isn't 'well known' amongst those I'd talk to, I would mention that I am if the situation arose. Last Thursday though, during road running for a "Physical Education" class, while talking to somebody who I've been running with every class for the last year and a half, they mentioned a displeasure towards those of any alternative sexual orientation (of course he prefaced the comments about how speaking to somebody who is gay or bisexual is "nearly impossible because they're just so strange" [quite ironic I felt]' with "I've nothing against gays but..."). I had considered, after questioning him as to what he meant (for a brief moment that quickly faded) commenting that I was gay and he certainly didn't seem to have a problem talking with me; which is what I what I always expected myself to say if comments such as that were made in my presence. Despite feeling a sense of shock, tinged with a sense of betrayal (I know that's irrational though), and despite having seen him once again yesterday (for running once more) and the question as to whether I was an 'arse or a tits man' being aired, I still found myself unable to clarify my sexuality as I had always thought I would freely be able to do so; fearing that airing it, despite it always having been present (just unspoken), it would alter our interactions (not my sexuality, his awareness of it).

That's what I had initially came into the thread to comment on, mainly to ask whether other people would suggest that it's worthwhile to comment to him that I am gay to try and alleviate his prejudices or if it is not worth the risk of a ruined friendship. From a logical standpoint I'm quite sure the latter is the case (afterall, it was an entire year and a half until it was even raised in the first place so perhaps it can be ignored) but I was interested in others' perspective (I am only seventeen [until December] so I know ultimately it'll be a small squabble as opposed to any major conflict).

Of course, that is merely something anecdotal, unlikely to be what you were seeking when you were seeking an answer to the bolded question; so in more general terms it is generally, in my experience, the fear of rejection, harassment (physical or verbal), fear of being placed within a region's stereotype of homosexuality, fear of religous persecution, and the fear of rebuttals (which seems to generally be an issue with conservative families in my reading in which 'coming out' may result in issues such as being kicked out of the house without adequate time to search for any form of accomodation for example [my uncle on my father's side was disowned by my grandparents for example; I didn't learn he was gay, and married, until this year after having seen him only three or four times, on his own, in the last ten years]) seem to be the most common reasons, almost all that I've seen are about being fearful of the response due to the lack of conformity. I'm sure others more versed in the topic will be able to give you greater insight though.

EDIT: Well I've answered the second might as well go back and answer the first and third. Not OCD (Asperger's), and I'm a younger age than I assume you're looking for answers from, but I have had some struggles with regard to being able to accept my sexuality; the explicit material I watched was always homosexual in nature but even still I had, at times, convinced myself I enjoyed it merely as it was 'different' (despite knowing that it is not different when it's viewed exclusivel). This was somewhat compounded as the person I would consider my best friend is gay, and had made numerous comments with regard to his view of me prior to myself revealing anything, and I was wondering if that was perhaps influencing me in some way (it turns out it was influencing me, but only influencing me in that I'd an attraction to him). Regarding the third, it's something I've feared I may be doing at times (assuming you're referring to supressing an attraction to the opposite sex), but I think it's only a product of the slight doubt regarding my orientation as opposed to something legitimate. I'm interested in how others may answer though.

Mark1

1: Maybe? I have untreated OCD (although I've come to terms with the fact that I like cock)
2: Societal pressure to fit in, homophobia, shame due to cultural ideas about homosexuality, religion, etc. There's plenty of reasons, but most of them involve shame and fear. It sucks.
3: Yes, but reasons to hide/feel awkward about your sexuality aren't the same for everyone. I hide my sexuality in unsafe areas, like my current location, but it doesn't mean I want to be straight... at all.

Just identify yourself as what you're attracted to. If you only jerk it to one gender, that's a pretty strong indicator.
What kind of OCD are you going through?

It's shocking the fear of lack of acceptance people go through when feeling same-sex attractions.

I think you're misunderstanding my third question - has there been people who suppress opposite sex feelings? Like when some get same-sex feelings.

I only really jerk to guys, soo...yeah I think I'm gay. But yeah I hate these OCD feelings.

Lucario

It's shocking the fear of lack of acceptance people go through when feeling same-sex attractions.

I think you're misunderstanding my third question - has there been people who suppress opposite sex feelings? Like when some get same-sex feelings.

I only really jerk to guys, soo...yeah I think I'm gay. But yeah I hate these feelings.

Mostly imagined consequences of not 'checking' (meaning I'll have to flip lightswitches on and off for minutes at a time, flip through cards when playing magic, etc to avoid irrational consequences) or irrational but devastating fear that I'll develop schizophrenia. You?

Suppressing opposite sex feelings.... haven't considered it, but it's an interesting question. I can't imagine it's common, but it probably happens.

Mark1

Mostly imagined consequences of not 'checking' (meaning I'll have to flip lightswitches on and off for minutes at a time, flip through cards when playing magic, etc to avoid irrational consequences) or irrational but devastating fear that I'll develop schizophrenia. You?

Suppressing opposite sex feelings.... haven't considered it, but it's an interesting question. I can't imagine it's common, but it probably happens.
My OCD covers a wide range - ranging from contamination to sexuality. There is a lot I'm not going to talk about about. It has been treated and can cope with everyday tasks MUCH better now.

I haven't heard this either which comforts me knowing my feelings are OCD linked. I do like my homosexual feelings.

I've not posted in this thread before, nor do I generally visit it regularly (I actually came into post somewhat about the bolded though so it's suitable that this is on the first page I visit), but regarding the bolded, I had always thought to myself that while I'm not 'openly out' (this was in part because there is still a niggling of the doubt that 'perhaps I'm bisexual and just haven't found the right woman yet'), that is to say that while I've commented to a few people about my sexuality it isn't 'well known' amongst those I'd talk to, I would mention that I am if the situation arose. Last Thursday though, during road running for a "Physical Education" class, while talking to somebody who I've been running with every class for the last year and a half, they mentioned a displeasure towards those of any alternative sexual orientation (of course he prefaced the comments about how speaking to somebody who is gay or bisexual is "nearly impossible because they're just so strange" [quite ironic I felt]' with "I've nothing against gays but..."). I had considered, after questioning him as to what he meant (for a brief moment that quickly faded) commenting that I was gay and he certainly didn't seem to have a problem talking with me; which is what I what I always expected myself to say if comments such as that were made in my presence. Despite feeling a sense of shock, tinged with a sense of betrayal (I know that's irrational though), and despite having seen him once again yesterday (for running once more) and the question as to whether I was an 'arse or a tits man' being aired, I still found myself unable to clarify my sexuality as I had always thought I would freely be able to do so; fearing that airing it, despite it always having been present (just unspoken), it would alter our interactions (not my sexuality, his awareness of it).

That's what I had initially came into the thread to comment on, mainly to ask whether other people would suggest that it's worthwhile to comment to him that I am gay to try and alleviate his prejudices or if it is not worth the risk of a ruined friendship. From a logical standpoint I'm quite sure the latter is the case (afterall, it was an entire year and a half until it was even raised in the first place so perhaps it can be ignored) but I was interested in others' perspective (I am only seventeen [until December] so I know ultimately it'll be a small squabble as opposed to any major conflict).

Of course, that is merely something anecdotal, unlikely to be what you were seeking when you were seeking an answer to the bolded question; so in more general terms it is generally, in my experience, the fear of rejection, harassment (physical or verbal), fear of being placed within a region's stereotype of homosexuality, fear of religous persecution, and the fear of rebuttals (which seems to generally be an issue with conservative families in my reading in which 'coming out' may result in issues such as being kicked out of the house without adequate time to search for any form of accomodation for example [my uncle on my father's side was disowned by my grandparents for example; I didn't learn he was gay, and married, until this year after having seen him only three or four times, on his own, in the last ten years]) seem to be the most common reasons, almost all that I've seen are about being fearful of the response due to the lack of conformity. I'm sure others more versed in the topic will be able to give you greater insight though.

EDIT: Well I've answered the second might as well go back and answer the first and third. Not OCD (Asperger's), and I'm a younger age than I assume you're looking for answers from, but I have had some struggles with regard to being able to accept my sexuality; the explicit material I watched was always homosexual in nature but even still I had, at times, convinced myself I enjoyed it merely as it was 'different' (despite knowing that it is not different when it's viewed exclusivel). This was somewhat compounded as the person I would consider my best friend is gay, and had made numerous comments with regard to his view of me prior to myself revealing anything, and I was wondering if that was perhaps influencing me in some way (it turns out it was influencing me, but only influencing me in that I'd an attraction to him). Regarding the third, it's something I've feared I may be doing at times (assuming you're referring to supressing an attraction to the opposite sex), but I think it's only a product of the slight doubt regarding my orientation as opposed to something legitimate. I'm interested in how others may answer though.
Woah, long post. Welcome! How are you feeling about your sexuality now? How old are you (I'm 23)?

Regarding the bolded, that may be down to confusion as you said.

Prompto

Banned
Had a similar problem back in high school. Best friend who I had known since kindergarten told me one day he didn't like hanging out with gay people and if he had a gay son he wouldn't be happy about it. I sort of laughed more inside my head than feel insulted considering he's been hanging out with a gay guy practically his whole life. I debated whether to tell him right then and there that I was gay to try to change his mind but ended up chickening out. Still to this day afraid of coming out to be honest :/ But I did end up giving him a long talk afterwards that he was wrong for thinking like that. I guess I hoped that it was enough to change his mind.

gerg

Am I the only person here who has OCD that struggles with their sexuality?

I imagine that highly depends upon how someone may be affected by their OCD, and even then I imagine that, given the messy nature of any sexual encounter, such feelings may be shared by some heterosexual people with OCD.

What are the reasons for people to deny they're gay?

I don't think I've ever denied that I'm gay, but I've certainly been in situations where I've been less willing to talk as freely about myself as I would normally. I imagine that my feelings in those instances were the same as any where someone would feel it necessary to deny their sexuality: namely, fear and/or anxiety over whether or not such news would be warmly received.

Labrys

What are the reasons for people to deny they're gay?

I'd say it's to meet other's expectations...
In today's world, straight is your sort of "default" sexuality. It's automatically assumed that you are, in fact, straight, and people will treat you like that without knowing.
It's, in essence, being "normal". People don't want to be seen as "abnormal", especially while growing up, in school, etc. You'd get bullied and looked down upon if anyone knew you weren't straight, so you deny any other feelings so you don't get treated differently. There's been many a time where I'd been asked "are you gay" by either a family member or just someone random, and I've denied it to the teeth, just to keep a sense of normalcy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
is this just the fun version of the pokemon thread?

This thread can be anything you want it to, baby!

has there been people who suppress opposite sex feelings? Like when some get same-sex feelings.

Yes, gay people suppress opposite sex feelings all the time. These intense feelings usually hit the hardest in the weeks leading out of the decision to become gay, but they do wane over time. Don't worry dear, it gets better.

Dead Man

Got the courage to ask out a guy I like. First time I've done this.

No go.

His loss. Good work mustering the courage in the first place, that's more than a lot of people :)

I only really jerk to guys, soo...yeah I think I'm gay. But yeah I hate these OCD feelings.

Nah, I swing all kinds of ways, so I just run with whatever works for me. I think a lot of people do though, they feel like they are not fitting in if they have opposite sex attraction or something. Just because you have the feelings doesn't mean you have to follow through, and even if you follow through it shouldn't define you.

Sai-kun

Banned
Man I'm tired of being in my room lol wish I had something to do on weekends but my real friends are not the type to go out :|

I know you're not 21, but going out on your own isn't such a bad deal. I went out tonight for a little while, just to a local club, and went dancing :) It was a fun time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I know you're not 21, but going out on your own isn't such a bad deal. I went out tonight for a little while, just to a local club, and went dancing :) It was a fun time.

And what if he doesn't know how to dance? What then? I bet you didn't plan for that little plot twist, did you?! :O

Crayons

Banned
Celebrate having the strength to make yourself vulnerable, people like that are cool.

Well take it this way, you learn far more from rejections, and now you can move on, it's a win, even if it doesn't seem like one right now.

His loss. Good work mustering the courage in the first place, that's more than a lot of people :)

Thanks guys. I was feeling pretty shitty last night but I slept a long time and I feel better about it. It's better that I asked him and got it over with before I got too attached.

I just hate going to places alone :c

The thing is that the town I live in is seriously boring and there is honestly nothing to do, there is a city 30 minutes away from here that's freaking great and then there's also an awesome city in Mexico full of stuff to do that's just 5 minutes from my town and it pisses me off that I'm just rotting away here. Though I guess it is my fault.

mantidor

I just hate going to places alone :c

The thing is that the town I live in is seriously boring and there is honestly nothing to do, there is a city 30 minutes away from here that's freaking great and then there's also an awesome city in Mexico full of stuff to do that's just 5 minutes from my town and it pisses me off that I'm just rotting away here. Though I guess it is my fault.

Consider moving, are you still studying? I love little towns, and I plan to retire in one, but you need to go to the big cities to broad your experiences, this apply to everyone really but it's specially true for gay people.

Consider moving, are you still studying? I love little towns, and I plan to retire in one, but you need to go to the big cities to broad your experiences, this apply to everyone really but it's specially true for gay people.
I'm in High School lol.

Still, I am hoping I'll be able to move. Although I'm scared because all I've been around in is Mexican culture,customs, and people. It kind of gets me nervous to think about how big the world actually is.

RM8

I actually love that feeling. It's super interesting to experience "culture shocks" like that, we humans are a weird bunch :p

daripad

Cities are fime but I prefer quiet places. I guess I'm more a home guy than a party one . My sister says I'm very boring. *sighs*

RM8

I'm not a party guy and big cities > boring towns.

Which sucks because I currently live in a boring, crappy town.

Woah, long post. Welcome! How are you feeling about your sexuality now? How old are you (I'm 23)?

Regarding the bolded, that may be down to confusion as you said.
What I would suggest is that if you are trying to distinguish whether your feelings are OCD-related or not and it's causing you bother is to try and realise that the origin of the feelings ultimately doesn't matter, provided they are legitimate feelings (that is, obviously, far easier said than done and it isn't something that can be 'forced' or you'll just end up rejecting it). Maybe it isn't the best way to handle it but that would be my inital thought on the situation you face, particularly since it doesn't appear to be damaging towards you.

There is still an element of doubt but, quite ironically, the friend's comment followed by my instinctive reaction being to comment that I was gay (as mentioned, I did not do so) as opposed to "I'm bi" went a long way in disuading them. The aforementioned confusion (it's worth noting it wasn't a confusion as to whether or not I was attracted to men, as I've already had an encounter that made me confident that that, at least, was real, it was pretty much, as I've said, the thought that 'perhaps I like women too and just have not found an attractive woman'). I would imagine it was more so a result of the age which is why I assumed I was younger than those you had an interest in a response from (where the tail-end of puberty is not a potential factor to consider). As for my age, I'm seventeen (which is fortunately not an issue for clubs/pubs here [in Ireland]) I'm afraid :p.

Had a similar problem back in high school. Best friend who I had known since kindergarten told me one day he didn't like hanging out with gay people and if he had a gay son he wouldn't be happy about it. I sort of laughed more inside my head than feel insulted considering he's been hanging out with a gay guy practically his whole life. I debated whether to tell him right then and there that I was gay to try to change his mind but ended up chickening out. Still to this day afraid of coming out to be honest :/ But I did end up giving him a long talk afterwards that he was wrong for thinking like that. I guess I hoped that it was enough to change his mind.

Hmm, interesting. I'll probably just take the bolded option if it resurfaces, it seems like the best (that is, safest) course of action, thanks.

Spree

So I was on my way to the hardware store today, in my sweatpants cuz it's nearby. I go in to see if they have what I need, when I notice this older gentleman sitting next to the shopkeeper looking at my crotch, not even trying to be subtle about it, then starts looking right at me, all while I'm trying to ask the (clueless) shopkeeper if they got my item. Talk about creepy x_x

Yeah, I was totally creeped out at first, but I then I just couldn't stop smiling at wtf had just happened, all the way home :p
...and he wasn't bad looking, for an old guy XP

Q: Would you guys be creeped out or flattered?

Trigger

I'd be pretty flattered if he was a hot older guy. If he's not hot, I'd probably be mildly bothered, but still feel pretty impressed with myself.

RM8

Canelo fights tonight. Regardless of the result, I win :D

63rrXqS.jpg

Ccszdxd.jpg

Uoei0xm.jpg

Being gay and unattached it's like obligatory that you have to move to a bigger city, once you're doing the spouse thing with someone you can move wherever.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
learn how to keep a beat

and if you can't keep a beat

well then you have my sincerest pity :(

"Keep a beat"? Sorry Sai, but I don't speak jive. Can anyone translate?

Everyone knows how to dance. Just move your body however you feel like moving it.

Hmm, but I suspect that most of the time this wouldn't be socially acceptable.

So I was on my way to the hardware store today, in my sweatpants cuz it's nearby.

Eww, don't wear sweatpants in public kthxbai.

I go in to see if they have what I need, when I notice this older gentleman sitting next to the shopkeeper looking at my crotch, not even trying to be subtle about it, then starts looking right at me, all while I'm trying to ask the (clueless) shopkeeper if they got my item. Talk about creepy x_x

Yeah, I was totally creeped out at first, but I then I just couldn't stop smiling at wtf had just happened, all the way home :p

I would have been super flattered (even if he was ugly), and if he was hot, I would have invited him back to my place, or at the very least into the men's bathroom at the hardware store.

Spree

Eww, don't wear sweatpants in public kthxbai.

meh-onion-head-emoticon.gif
~meh. It's one of the few perks of living where I do. It's a small town, nobody cares.

One time my friend wore his boxers to this small mini market near his house lol. I had spent the night there and woke up the next day hungry, except there was nothing in the fridge/house. It was early and I guess he couldn't be bothered haha (and it was only like 200ft). He insisted they were shorts, but he wasn't fooling anyone +_+

Crayons

Banned
So I was on my way to the hardware store today, in my sweatpants cuz it's nearby. I go in to see if they have what I need, when I notice this older gentleman sitting next to the shopkeeper looking at my crotch, not even trying to be subtle about it, then starts looking right at me, all while I'm trying to ask the (clueless) shopkeeper if they got my item. Talk about creepy x_x

I'd probably be really flattered if it was an old guy. The only old guy I've talked with was 3-4 times my age, but that was online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom