• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

Honestly, no. I don't find low-poly stuff offensive. It's true that old 2D ages better, but I'm capable of enjoying the looks on lots of 5th gen games. Home console-wise 5th gen still hasn't been topped to me. Oh gosh the fighters, platformers, racers and RPGs from that era <3

Christopher

was it your first gay bar? what were your expectations?

Well I haven't gone in awhile and still dont plan on going in awhile but its nice to feel wanted even after being married and with a baby its like damn ok I still got it lol.

Expectations are jst to have a good time nothing judgmental and have my friend be in a comfortable enviorment I just felt a bit odd when I kept getting drink but he wasn't. Good guy needs someone.

Caladrius

I always find good art direction more important than high graphical fidelity as far as aging goes. "Realistic" games age horribly, stylized ones don't get hit nearly as hard with it. Paper Mario and the Banjo games for instance look like hot garbage compared to their successors, but look a lot better in comparison to their compatriots by virtue of making sure that everything looked "right" and distinctive.

There was a "post pics from next gen" thread and someone was talking about how ugly the pictures were. I thought they looked fine. That's actually what's making me reconsider getting a powerful gaming PC. I feel like we'd all enjoy N64 level graphics if we never got anything better to compare them to.

They're just arguing for the sake of e-dick swaying. We're really at that point where diminishing returns is coming into play and advancements are close to capping out from a practical standpoint. Unless you really sweat the details you're not going to notice it a great deal. (Unless you also have a jumbo resolution monitor in which case you might.)

Honestly, no. I don't find low-poly stuff offensive. It's true that old 2D ages better, but I'm capable of enjoying the looks on lots of 5th gen games. Home console-wise 5th gen still hasn't been topped to me. Oh gosh the fighters, platformers, racers and RPGs from that era <3

Ironically, despite having so many of my favorite games I am overall, it's not my favorite era. What we could do back then was still largely exploratory. It's nice in a "wild west" way, with it being uncharted territory, but a lot of games from that era were crude as far as complexity and polish goes, especially when you compare it to the gens right next to it.

It's still great, but I prefer 6th gen due to being the pinnacle of the RPG age of dominance and heralding the Sonic Adventure series (Shadow the Hedgehog never happened), Kingdom Hearts, the rise of Shin Megami Tensei in the west, and the fantastic Nintendo lineup during that time.

mantidor

Well I haven't gone in awhile and still dont plan on going in awhile but its nice to feel wanted even after being married and with a baby its like damn ok I still got it lol.

Expectations are jst to have a good time nothing judgmental and have my friend be in a comfortable enviorment I just felt a bit odd when I kept getting drink but he wasn't. Good guy needs someone.

ok we needtoseethereceipts.gif
only half joking :p

If you are handsome you are the completely wrong wingman though hehe, unless you pretend to be his date, but that is a complicated game I wouldn't recommend for children 12 and under
in the gay bar scene of course.

My (short) experience is that you need to expand your friend circles, we live in a much more open world, but not enough, the gay bar is still where we meet most of the time, as opposed to straight guys and gals that usually just find their significant other in college or work, so more than just trying to hook up, if your friend goes to a gay bar he should also try to look for friends.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People usually eat first?

Yes? No need for popcorn.

Though I haven't been to a theater in ages. Okay, half-lie. I went to see Hugh Jackman be half-nude in the Wolverine for my birthday but I rarely go to theaters now a days. Too expensive and I'd rather pause the movie if I have to pee.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Did anyone watch the new episode of Homeland? This team of hunky hairy guys working for Saul are the greatest thing to happen to this show. Ugh. So. Damn. Hot. ohmygod

I know you only want the dirty deets, and
nothing happened except my first kiss which was amazing and I think my heart skipped a beat.
All that mushy nonsense. :)

Your first kiss?!?!?! :O

;__;

Sis, I'm over the moon 4 u.

GkzPPHg.gif

I am distressed by noise and large gatherings of people.

I am too, but they can still be really fun. My idea of socializing essentially ends at an interesting conversation, and you can't even do that there, and still I find there's fun to be had sometimes. I think the trick is just forcing yourself to go once in a blue moon. It's kind of like you get to peer into another world for a while, maybe even gain a bit of footing there, and then you forget about it until it beacons to you again.

Gay bars/clubs are fun when you have a few drinks, but when you're sober; all of the making out going on around you can get pretty annoying.

It's fun seeing all the drag queens though.

_Isaac

Gay bars/clubs are fun when you have a few drinks, but when you're sober; all of the making out going on around you can get pretty annoying.

I've been to one gay bar/club and it wasn't like I imagined at all. Hell, at first I didn't even know it was a gay club because I didn't see any gayness at all. Eventually, a guy in skimpy underwear started dancing on the counter, and it was a bit more clear.

I never really have much to drink at clubs for some reason, I find that even a buzz screws with my coordination enough that I feel like a terrible dancer and then I feel sad or like I'm trying too hard to have a good time instead of actually having one. I guess they're really fun on MDMA when that was a thing that I still did, but sober can be fun too, I don't really notice that much making out here.

I've been to one gay bar/club and it wasn't like I imagined at all. Hell, at first I didn't even know it was a gay club because I didn't see any gayness at all. Eventually, a guy in skimpy underwear started dancing on the counter, and it was a bit more clear.

Honestly I was exaggerating with my comment about the making out. But every time I've been, there has been at least two couples doing it on the dance floor (making out).

There was one time though, where there were half naked guys dancing in jock straps on platforms, and one of them got
a little rim job. In front of everyone on the dance floor
We were leaving when that started happening though, so I don't really know what happened after that. :p

Other than that, gay clubs/bars aren't as crazy as I imagined them to be. Which is good, I don't like to go a lot though.

Thanks. Don't worry, I'm not a big guy, I'm average.

Well, I feel like everyone is having a good time while I'm studying a lot of stuff and being closeted and lonely makes it worse.

You're in school, at least you're doing something. That's not to minimize the woes of being closeted or social alienation which definitely does suck, but presumably your studies at least are something done with purpose. Some people lack those opportunities.

I think most people inflate their social lives or how much fun they're having to some extent because that's an easy but kind of cheap way for a lot of people to justify their existence. Like perhaps they're lacking in purpose, but this is an interesting diversion, or maybe they even get stuck there. I think there's partly a reason that the age range that makes it the most culturally important is also the most aimless by and large. Not to be judgmental, fun is fun, but often you can get the sense that people are trying to make more of it than what is there. And what is there isn't terribly substantial. I was basically done with 'partying' by 22. It can still be fun, but the draw is pretty short lived imo.

I dunno. I never played the Persona series, and I guess I won't be playing it this gen either lol. I've seen it a lot, but I've really only played the Devil Survivor series and SMT Strange Journey + IV. Personally I prefer the Devil Survivor spinoffs.
Persona 3 came out in 2006 and Persona 4 came out in 2008 I think.
Devil Survivor is awesome but I love Persona even if I've only played Persona 3 lol

I just had the vaguest memory of making out with someone against the wall in a large gay bar/party while reading above posts... I can't seem to remember for sure who it was or where it was, or even if it was a dream I mixed up with reality :/

When I was a teen my sister used to take me with her to gay bars in Moscow... as far as I know she is straight (perhaps bi, considering how many lesbian friends she had, which often slept over), but she used to prefer to hangout at gay bars saying that she feels safer there (no guys hitting on her; she's married). Anyways I always found them fun and interesting, even before I fully realized I was gay myself (my sister had mad cred in the gay community back then that she could get me past security when I read under age).

Later on I started going to them by myself. Still only in Moscow, which was were my sister lived and I used to go there on holidays. Had my first sexual experiences and met my second bf there.

Living in the middle east, real "gay bars" almost don't exist. I went to one in Beirut once which was cool (albeit more tame and not as overt as the ones in Moscow), and most amazingly an actual gay bar opened in my city some years ago, the first time I walked it I couldn't believe what I was seeing was happening in my country; it was just like a regular gay bar; guys comfortably dancing together and making out, drag show, and the place is packed to the gills. I only went there a couple more times before the place was closed/shut down unfortunately.

There remain some "gay friendly" local hangouts, where guys tend to go there on weekends and it can be pretty obvious when all tables are filled with twinks and hunks, and no girls in sight. But there is no dancing or overt hooking up going on. I go to these places maybe once or twice per year with friends, while some of my friends go there pretty much every week.

RM8

I've never been to a gay bar. I tolerate regular bars because of my friends, but it's truly not my idea of fun, personally :p

mantidor

It is obvious now, your sister made you gay! it's all part of the gay agenda I tell you.

It's really sad to think about how things are for lgbt people in Russia now, if you went to Moscow underage it means it was like 20 years ago! :p how was it? Have you been to a gay bar in the west? the whole thing is really fascinating, gay bars in Beirut? insane.

Christopher

ok we needtoseethereceipts.gif
only half joking :p

If you are handsome you are the completely wrong wingman though hehe, unless you pretend to be his date, but that is a complicated game I wouldn't recommend for children 12 and under
in the gay bar scene of course.

My (short) experience is that you need to expand your friend circles, we live in a much more open world, but not enough, the gay bar is still where we meet most of the time, as opposed to straight guys and gals that usually just find their significant other in college or work, so more than just trying to hook up, if your friend goes to a gay bar he should also try to look for friends.

My picturews are around here somewhwre if you wanna look lol I dont think I'm a gay men's type but who knows!

Dude I agree he needs more gay friends it sucks he's awesome and I dont wanna see him alone and unhappy

RM8

My picturews are around here somewhwre if you wanna look lol I dont think I'm a gay men's type but who knows!

Dude I agree he needs more gay friends it sucks he's awesome and I dont wanna see him alone and unhappy
There's no such thing as a gay men's type. If you could see the discussions about it, they put console wars to shame, lol.

And I also happen to have only straight friends IRL. I'm fine with that, actually. I haven't dated in ages, but I don't think you need gay friends for that.

It is obvious now, your sister made you gay! it's all part of the gay agenda I tell you.

It's really sad to think about how things are for lgbt people in Russia now, if you went to Moscow underage it means it was like 20 years ago! :p how was it? Have you been to a gay bar in the west? the whole thing is really fascinating, gay bar's in Beirut? insane.

Yeah I've been going to Moscow since back when it was still USSR (aka Soviet Union), but it was probably a couple of years after its dissolution that I went to my first gay bar... I remember that the places were not marked with signs, banners or names, and their doors were just like any plain door on the street, and you had to ring a bell and wait for someone to verify (through camera or whatever) that you're OK to enter before they unlocked the door (I guess they were screening for cops or trouble makers). But once inside it was just like any gay bar in the west I imagine (but I've never been to one).

Yeah Beirut is pretty liberal and they've had gay bars for a long time now. Probably the second most liberal city in the region is Amman, which is where I live. We had a gay bar for a couple of years but not anymore... But there are several public places where gay guys safely cruise and hook up.

Living in the middle east, real "gay bars" almost don't exist. I went to one in Beirut once which was cool (albeit more tame and not as overt as the ones in Moscow), and most amazingly an actual gay bar opened in my city some years ago, the first time I walked it I couldn't believe what I was seeing was happening in my country; it was just like a regular gay bar; guys comfortably dancing together and making out, drag show, and the place is packed to the gills. I only went there a couple more times before the place was closed/shut down unfortunately.
Man, the thought of a gay bar in the Middle East (outside of maybe Israel) is...mind-boggling to me. Although I could certainly see it happening in Lebanon. But still! I think there were one or two hotel bars that were more frequented by the gays, but then you had to worry about the CID (undercover police) cruising around and trying to catch you. I'd wager there are cruising spots here and there, so it's all very on the down-low. Not like it mattered since 1) I had no friends that really drank, and 2) I had no legal way to get in there. The thought of "cruising" as a teenager and risking god-knows-what as my first gay experience did not really have any appeal to me.

I think my only exposure to any form of "homosexuality" were the handful of the super effeminate Filipino men who wore tons of makeup (that my mom would always comment on), but that is starting to breach trans-territory, even though some of them still identified as men. There was also one guy in my grade who I suspected of being gay, but then he had a girlfriend and was like, "Oh." Then a year later when we're all graduated and in other countries, he comes out and gets a boyfriend and I'm all like, "Yeah, that's right."

So yeah. Maybe that's why some of the supposed raunchiness sounds...scary to me.

Bladenic

I only worked 3 hours today (oi my paycheck RIP) but the good thing is Zelda should be here today. If not then I'll be sad/mad/will do something productive :mad:

RM8

I'm not done with Pokémon yet, I shouldn't want ALBW :(

Plus I'm supposed to buy a WiiU with 3D World soon. And I'm terrified of soon to come Steam sales.

scarlet

I'm not done with Pokémon yet, I shouldn't want ALBW :(

Plus I'm supposed to buy a WiiU with 3D World soon. And I'm terrified of soon to come Steam sales.

It's quick. I only have 2 dungeons left. Around 16-17 hours, trying to get everything.

Amazing game, make me wanna buy wii u more and more.

Bladenic

As much as I'm looking forward to Persona 5, I honestly think I'm most excited for the music. Listening to P4's OST again, it's so good. Reach out to the Truth is GOAT.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
As much as I'm looking forward to Persona 5, I honestly think I'm most excited for the music. Listening to P4's OST again, it's so good. Mass Destruction is GOAT.

FTFY. BABY BABY BABY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom