• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT3| Friends of Dorothy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FYC

Banned
Anyone here wanna add me on LastFM? We should all add each other actually! Always looking for more friends :D

http://www.last.fm/user/GON4PP

Anyone here a fan of John Grant? New album "Pale Green Ghosts" out in UK. Dark throbbing synths, witty honest lyrics, great voice. Talks about homophobia and heartbreaks. Plus that beard!

Made a thread of his new album, thought some people might want to check it out.

Listen: Pale Green Ghosts

I'll check it out, thanks for the heads up.

Mr_Zombie

I have to say I was disappointed by Brave, I found it really subpar compared to what I know Pixar can do. I love heroins, I love red-hair, why the fuck did they make a shitty movie??

I really don't understand why are people so harsh on the movie. I watched it with my nephew (he loved it, could watch it even few times a day) and I though it was pretty good. Funny jokes, interesting characters, good action scenes and fantastic graphics (I loved Merida's hair). I don't think it was any worse than other Pixar's movies. Maybe people had too high expectations because trailers and posters suggested darker, more action-focused direction.

Anyone here a fan of John Grant? New album "Pale Green Ghosts" out in UK. Dark throbbing synths, witty honest lyrics, great voice. Talks about homophobia and heartbreaks. Plus that beard!

Not really a fan, but I like his "Queen of Denmark" album. I didn't even know that he released a new album; will check it out.
And yes, that beard!

Guys, sorry to bring this up, but Jefrey claimed gay bars in Montreal had banned women. Just to set the record straight, cuz Montreal is a fantastic city, gay bars in Montreal haven't banned women. Unless he's hanging out in sex booth theatres, or fisting clubs, there are many women of all orientations who frequent gay bars there, many who add and enrich the fun and liveliness.

Fisting clubs? There are clubs in Montreal focused solely on fisting? D:

BeesEight

I really don't understand why are people so harsh on the movie. I watched it with my nephew (he loved it, could watch it even few times a day) and I though it was pretty good. Funny jokes, interesting characters, good action scenes and fantastic graphics (I loved Merida's hair). I don't think it was any worse than other Pixar's movies. Maybe people had too high expectations because trailers and posters suggested darker, more action-focused direction.

Narratively speaking, it's a huge mess. The character development is also pretty questionable from my recollection. I can't tell you exactly what's wrong with it since I haven't seen it in ages (and it's so forgettable) but the impression I got was that its script got really butchered through multiple iterations between different writers that kept trying to take it in four different directions. I do remember that it was hard to tell whether it was a story of some ancient bear hunt, a young girl's rebellion against an unfair system or a touching tale of a mother and daughter trying to reconnect. None of the elements really worked together to strengthen or emphasis a central plot or theme.

So, story-wise, it's much worse when compared to something like The Incredibles which has a very tight focus and almost textbook perfect pacing.

RM8

Did we go to the same Japan?
Probably not, your Japan didn't have amazing curry either :p

How was it?
Awesome. As in, really one of the nicest things I have experienced. To the point that it makes me feel a bit meh about going back to my usual routine, haha. At 25 I feel a bit old to try to find a scholarship over there, or any other means to be able to live there even if temporarily, that'd be pretty incredible.

Alcoori

Narratively speaking, it's a huge mess. The character development is also pretty questionable from my recollection. I can't tell you exactly what's wrong with it since I haven't seen it in ages (and it's so forgettable) but the impression I got was that its script got really butchered through multiple iterations between different writers that kept trying to take it in four different directions. I do remember that it was hard to tell whether it was a story of some ancient bear hunt, a young girl's rebellion against an unfair system or a touching tale of a mother and daughter trying to reconnect. None of the elements really worked together to strengthen or emphasis a central plot or theme.

So, story-wise, it's much worse when compared to something like The Incredibles which has a very tight focus and almost textbook perfect pacing.

I completely agree. I'm not sure what the story was trying to do but it was a huge mess compared to other Pixar movies. Finding Nemo, Up, Monsters Inc., and Wall-E all are examples of great movies with a great storyline.

It wasn't the worst movie of all time, I just thought it was really not up to standard when it comes to Pixar. To me it was more like a Dreamworks movie.

BeesEight

Probably not, your Japan didn't have amazing curry either :p

Awesome. As in, really one of the nicest things I have experienced. To the point that it makes me feel a bit meh about going back to my usual routine, haha. At 25 I feel a bit old to try to find a scholarship over there, or any other means to be able to live there even if temporarily, that'd be pretty incredible.

Touche. :p

Yeah, I loved it there. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone with interest and ability to get there. Unless you're thinking of moving there permanently, then I'd heavily advise against it. But the service is unmatched and the people are adorable and it makes for a terrific vacation/travel location.

What places did you go to?

It wasn't the worst movie of all time, I just thought it was really not up to standard when it comes to Pixar. To me it was more like a Dreamworks movie.

Ha, snap!

And true.

RM8

Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka and Hiroshima. From most awesome to still awesome but slightly less awesome.

Agree that the service is truly great, and everyone seems to be so polite. Loved it, really. Why is it that you'd advise against moving there permanently? I really see no downside at all, but to be fair I live in Mexico :p

BeesEight

Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Osaka and Hiroshima. From most awesome to still awesome but slightly less awesome.

Agree that the service is truly great, and everyone seems to be so polite. Loved it, really. Why is it that you'd advise against moving there permanently? I really see no downside at all, but to be fair I live in Mexico :p

Well, for living there I guess it really depends on how much you enjoy being a social pariah.

The xenophobia claims are true and are made really relevant when you try integrating into society. I met people who had married and stayed and they're all bitter, disgruntled individuals who you can tell really resent that decision (hell, most will tell you that if you ask). No matter what you do, you'll never be considered Japanese and its a society very much focused on the in-group vs out-group dynamic.

I never got to Osaka, unfortunately. :(

But I absolutely loved Kyoto. If I were to live there again, I'd want to be in that area. I liked Hiroshima personally, but I'd include Miyajima in the area. The city itself is kinda 'meh' but it was obliterated relatively recently so I can forgive its short-comings.

Plus it has the ridiculous outdated tram network.

RM8

That's the part that sounds not-too-awesome. But my obviously very short-lived experience wasn't bad at all in the xenophobia department, really, I'm guessing it becomes evident once you actually live there. It's just that I was expecting being stared at, being avoided in public and similar stuff. Not only that didn't happen, but I had a great time with my uncle's friends and/or co-workers and I didn't really feel excluded. Everyone tried to speak English so I could understand, and I was complimented in both my English (which I guess it's somewhat understandable for someone who has never taken lessons or been to an English speaking place, haha) and Japanese (which obviously means they were being over-polite, lol).

Also, my time in Hiroshima was a bit short, so it probably has to do with that. Miyajima was gorgeous indeed.
But the okonomiyaki was leagues better in Tokyo.

To combat off-topic-ness a bit, here's Ninomiya Kazunari out-cute-ing a puppy.
c0XiNFg.jpg

BeesEight

That's the part that sounds not-too-awesome. But my obviously very short-lived experience wasn't bad at all in the xenophobia department, really, I'm guessing it becomes evident once you actually live there. It's just that I was expecting being stared at, being avoided in public and similar stuff. Not only that didn't happen, but I had a great time with my uncle's friends and/or co-workers and I didn't really feel excluded. Everyone tried to speak English so I could understand, and I was complimented in both my English (which I guess it's somewhat understandable for someone who has never taken lessons or been to an English speaking place, haha) and Japanese (which obviously means they were being over-polite, lol).

Also, my time in Hiroshima was a bit short, so it probably has to do with that. Miyajima was gorgeous indeed.
But the okonomiyaki was leagues better in Tokyo.

Well, it only really comes up when you try living there. You'll always be treated as a foreigner and, if you were to marry, it becomes really apparent.

That said, you also visited like Western central. If you want to be stared at, you need to go to more remote areas. :p

I don't think I had the cabbage pancakes at Miyajima. I enjoyed them, but was never a huge fan.

And, I guess to throw in something on topic: Japan is pretty far behind in LGBT issues. As in, I had a co-worker drunkenly explain to me one night how gay people weren't a Japanese problem because they didn't have any. And while I wasn't in Tokyo, I was hardly living in the boonies of the country.

I'm also like 90% certain at least one of my students was gay. I feel sorry for the kid since things won't be pleasant for him in that department. And he wasn't taking his classes very seriously either which is a shame because if he moved to North America I'm sure he'd be better off in that regard. But c'est la vie.

RM8

Backwards LGBT issues really don't scare me as I live in Mexico :p At the very least there's no religion-induced hate about it, it's mostly ignorance it seems.

And in any case I'd like living in Tokyo, since I'd like to be somewhat close to my relatives. So yeah, it makes sense that the big cities are a bit more gaijin-friendly.

BeesEight

Backwards LGBT issues really don't scare me as I live in Mexico :p At the very least there's no religion-induced hate about it, it's mostly ignorance it seems.

And in any case I'd like living in Tokyo, since I'd like to be somewhat close to my relatives. So yeah, it makes sense that the big cities are a bit more gaijin-friendly.

Ah, I really enjoyed Tokyo too and not just because it was the closest real city.

Glad to hear you had a great time! Now I want to go back. :(

Mr_Zombie

Now that you've mention it, I can agree that the story was rushed and not focused on any particular plot. Especially the "bear prince" plot came out of nowhere and was underdeveloped (IIRC he only appeared in two or three scenes), which was especially jarring since learning about his backstory was a turning point in the story and he himself was turned into the main villain at the end of the movie.

However, after reading opinions on the movie (before I watched it) in the Brave OT I expected it to be the lowest of low of Pixar movies and I think it was far from it (it's hard to surpass Cars or Cars 2). Well, maybe going in with low expectations really helped. :p

To me it was more like a Dreamworks movie.
The humor wasn't based solely on cultural references and funny faces, so I disagree. :p

Meh indeed.

I haven't posted around here in a while. I'm 30, just about done with community college. I would like to make more gay friends specifically. I suffer from bad social anxiety and was wondering if y'all think it would be a good idea to join the Gay-Straight Alliance club at my school.

I'm currently looking into meetups and any gay sports/athletic/writing groups in my area to get out there and meet new people.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I haven't posted around here in a while. I'm 30, just about done with community college. I would like to make more gay friends specifically. I suffer from bad social anxiety and was wondering if y'all think it would be a good idea to join the Gay-Straight Alliance club at my school.

I'm currently looking into meetups and any gay sports/athletic/writing groups in my area to get out there and meet new people.

Are you gay or bi? Or are you just a straight guy looking for gay friends?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I am gay. I have zero gay friends though. I would like to remedy that.

Then yeah, I'd recommend joining the Gay-Straight Alliance club and also some gay sports clubs or whatever else they have that interests you. That's certainly the best way of meeting other gay people outside of your local fisting club.

I think a Gay-Straight Alliance club would be a great way to start meeting fellow local Gay friends and they could probably introduce you to even more people or places as time goes by. I went to my high schools even though i wasn't out really there, but i pretty much was good friends with almost everyone in that club anyway lol, especially my bi and lesbian friends Lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CHEEZMO™;51162894 said:
r/penis?

I was thinking of putting mine on there.

You best PM me when you do, honey.

and cross-post it to the obvious spinoff subreddit

/r/penis has like five different offshoots.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Joe_Jonas_2012.jpg/220px-Joe_Jonas_2012.jpg

Meh.

DOS EYEBROWS. WHY.

Like two caterpillars wanting to mate.

Pshaw! I can't help but view reddit as a bunch of weirdos and basement dwellers, barely a hop and a skip away from 4chan. Tumblr's my preferred place for penis promo ;)

I rarely visit Reddit, I had assumed it was a little more SFW and serious.

In any case, any penis is good penis :D

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nope. For good or bad, there's a subreddit for most anything.

And GAF's ignorance of the site continues to astound. Bad things happen, blame the admins/site-owners despite them not "owning" the subreddits content. Good things happen? "Meh, reddit's overrated/I don't understand how the site functions/site is UGH-LY/publicity stunt..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom