• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

The most important thing is not to dwell on everything you said earlier. Those concerns you're having are normal, but just try to focus on the positive stuff and you'll be okay.

Bailey 87

Has anyone here had to deal with feelings of insecurity regarding someone you like that you feel is crazy for liking you because you feel they are way outta your league in many regards?

If so, how do you deal with it?

I still feel like this and the bf and I are going to celebrate our 3 year anniversary in a few months. I find it cute that we both are a little insecure about it :p

OKCupid, Grindr, Jack'd. All of them are the same, pretty much every guy I talk to is a horrible conversationalist. I just. don't. get it. they barely put in any effort. always expecting me to hold a conversation, it's like pulling teeth.
They respond, some with great replies, but don't bother asking anything back. I know the ones who aren't interested won't reply or will reply with one word. Those are sometimes a lot better than the guys who actually respond to my message.

Even guys where we share common interests or whatever, we'll have a small convo then it falls flat with them not putting any effort into it.
I mean I know it's not supposed to be an interview, so I've gotten better at keeping a convo going without asking questions, if only other guys were like that.

I know I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm not saying anything weird. I'm not asking crazy questions and stuff, I'm not spamming them with messages. it's so difficult for me to understand.

OKCupid, Grindr, Jack'd. All of them are the same, pretty much every guy I talk to is a horrible conversationalist. I just. don't. get it. they barely put in any effort. always expecting me to hold a conversation, it's like pulling teeth.
They respond, some with great replies, but don't bother asking anything back. I know the ones who aren't interested won't reply or will reply with one word. Those are sometimes a lot better than the guys who actually respond to my message.

Even guys where we share common interests or whatever, we'll have a small convo then it falls flat with them not putting any effort into it.
I mean I know it's not supposed to be an interview, so I've gotten better at keeping a convo going without asking questions, if only other guys were like that.

I know I'm not doing anything wrong, I'm not saying anything weird. I'm not asking crazy questions and stuff, I'm not spamming them with messages. it's so difficult for me to understand.
This has been my experience as well. I've had some amazing conversations that just fall completely flat out of nowhere. It's really frustrating and consistently makes you wonder what you're doing wrong.

It's an unfortunate drawback to online dating - it's great that it's so easy to speak to someone, but it also allows no real-life consequence for completely dropping out of a conversation.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I hate myself today. Now that that's out of the way let me proceed to continue my gaf activities.

Vitanimus

I've never gotten anything amazing out of Grindr. When I had it, it was just a time killer because my area was absolutely filled with weirdos. Some people were nice, but a large majority were just "top or bottom m8".

How does one
hypothetically
deal with the idea that someone likes them back? I think this is the first instance ever where it's a plausible reality that something could happen. I find it super strange that someone might actually like me. It's not that I'm insecure, I think, I just can't imagine what someone else sees in me, ya know?
Hypothetically, of course.

Grakl

How does one
hypothetically
deal with the idea that someone likes them back? I think this is the first instance ever where it's a plausible reality that something could happen. I find it super strange that someone might actually like me. It's not that I'm insecure, I think, I just can't imagine what someone else sees in me, ya know?

first figure out for sure if they like you, then decide what to do

This bothers me so much. The other day I was talking to someone and we had so much in common. The conversation died after 6 messages and I think they blocked me 0_0.

Also, I'm trying to make my OkCupid profile less geeky but it's so hard. Everyone who sees it must think I'm a crazy nerd haha.

Vitanimus

first figure out for sure if they like you, then decide what to do

Uh how do I go about this?
iID6gWtfb8Beh.gif

Guys... it looks like I'm moving to Mexico in a few weeks!!!!!!!! I'm really excited/nervous/anxious,

That sounds like a big change! How come you're moving?

This has been my experience as well. I've had some amazing conversations that just fall completely flat out of nowhere. It's really frustrating and consistently makes you wonder what you're doing wrong.

It's an unfortunate drawback to online dating - it's great that it's so easy to speak to someone, but it also allows no real-life consequence for completely dropping out of a conversation.

Deja vu huh? lol we're still struggling with idiots.

This bothers me so much. The other day I was talking to someone and we had so much in common. The conversation died after 6 messages and I think they blocked me 0_0.

Also, I'm trying to make my OkCupid profile less geeky but it's so hard. Everyone who sees it must think i'm a crazy nerd haha.

Ah yeah, it sucks.
I like really geeky profiles, makes it easier to strike up a convo. I'm sure you'll be fine by keeping it geeky don't worry about it.

That sounds like a big change! How come you're moving?
Where in mexico and why?
I mentioned it here before, about a month ago I sort of got a job offer there. It's from someone I've known for a while and have been working with sporadically from home. The offer didn't really materialize until today and they want me there by May 15th. I'm going to be doing much cooler stuff than I'm doing here at work and I've been wanting to live this shitty country (Venezuela) for quite a while.

The job is in Mexico City. I'll be living (at least for the first 3 months) with a (straight) married couple that I've known for a while (we worked together sometimes many years ago), they're young and cool people so that's great.

Congrats Victor, yay!!!

*youarealreadydead.gif*

congrats! You'll eat delicious mexican food everyday. And Mexico is not a bad country, it actually is fine in some departments.
Thanks!

I don't like spicy food :(
It will be SO MUCH BETTER than Venezuela, I'm sure of that.

Rayis

So apparently Mexico City (that's where I was born) is the 12th safest major city in the world :D
http://www.movehub.com/blog/worlds-safest-cities

Sure, we're not Tokyo or Singapore, but that's actually pretty good. In recent years Mexico City indeed feels safer, for whatever reason. It's specific states the ones being attacked by organized crime :(

woah, I'm from Monterrey, at one point in the not so distant past we were considered much safer than Mexico City, (at least when I still lived there) that definitely isn't true anymore with all the cartel activity going on in my native city, such a shame cuz it's a very beautiful city. Fortunately Mexico City seems to be relatively untouched by cartel activity.

Caladrius

I get a fairly steady stream of visitors but nobody's tried to message me yet.

Maybe I just have a bad profile. I fiddled with it a bit today, hopefully it looks a lot better.

Also, I'm trying to make my OkCupid profile less geeky but it's so hard. Everyone who sees it must think i'm a crazy nerd haha.

If they don't know you're geeky how can you attract the right guy? ;p

Replicant

From what I can understand after using it for quite a while, the majority of the guys on those apps are only in it for sex. So the minute you start talking about things that don't involve 'transactions' (ie. "You're hot", "What are you in for?", "Top or bottom?", *send picture of his cock/ass*, *send google map of his address*, "I'm waiting"), so to speak, they start losing interest.

Some are even very blunt and state on their profile like "No interest in useless chat". I find it weird to be honest. I know these apps are figurative version of meat market but how else are you going to meet gay guys other than via these apps? The likelihood of us getting to know each other in public place is pretty slim. So why not use the app to meet new people as well instead of just using it as meat market?

I'm guessing though, once in a while they find someone they deem worthy enough to be anything more than meat so they engage you in decent conversation. But most of the time, even those who talk a lot, all roads of convo lead to them trying to get into your pants. I'll give it two sessions at least before the guy starts saying "I'm horny". FML. Sometimes I understand what girls must feel like when dealing with guys.

daripad

I don't like spicy food :(
It will be SO MUCH BETTER than Venezuela, I'm sure of that.

A lot of mexican food is not spicy

woah, I'm from Monterrey, at one point in the not so distant past we were considered much safer than Mexico City, (at least when I still lived there) that definitely isn't true anymore with all the cartel activity going on in my native city, such a shame cuz it's a very beautiful city. Fortunately Mexico City seems to be relatively untouched by cartel activity.

Yeah, Monterrey has a pretty bad reputation. Hell, every city in the north of Mexico has a bad reputation.

Deja vu huh? lol we're still struggling with idiots.

Ah yeah, it sucks.
I like really geeky profiles, makes it easier to strike up a convo. I'm sure you'll be fine by keeping it geeky don't worry about it.

I get a fairly steady stream of visitors but nobody's tried to message me yet.

Maybe I just have a bad profile. I fiddled with it a bit today, hopefully it looks a lot better.

If they don't know you're geeky how can you attract the right guy? ;p

Thanks. I gave it a few new touches but kept the geekiness. My friend told me it was honest so I kept it. :p

Erebus

From what I can understand after using it for quite a while, the majority of the guys on those apps are only in it for sex. So the minute you start talking about things that don't involve 'transactions' (ie. "You're hot", "What are you in for?", "Top or bottom?", *send picture of his cock/ass*, *send google map of his address*, "I'm waiting"), so to speak, they start losing interest.

Some are even very blunt and state on their profile like "No interest in useless chat". I find it weird to be honest. I know these apps are figurative version of meat market but how else are you going to meet gay guys other than via these apps? The likelihood of us getting to know each other in public place is pretty slim. So why not use the app to meet new people as well instead of just using it as meat market?

I'm guessing though, once in a while they find someone they deem worthy enough to be anything more than meat so they engage you in decent conversation. But most of the time, even those who talk a lot, all roads of convo lead to them trying to get into your pants. I'll give it two sessions at least before the guy starts saying "I'm horny". FML. Sometimes I understand what girls must feel like when dealing with guys.
I think is a combination of things but basically this.

Also, spend too much time in those sites and you'll eventually grow an addiction fueled by your own insecurities.

royalan

Something weird is happening to me. And I don't know how to explain it.

So, for the most part I consider myself a bottom. About 95% - 97.834% bottom. And usually the guys I'm attracted to tend to be older and guyish (I hesitate to say masculine).

But lately I've been having these top cravings. Like...3% top cravings. This is unusual.

And, stranger still, whenever I get in these rare top moods, it's almost ALWAYS for really femme guys.

Like, I was looking at Yanis Marshall choreography videos (he's a popular choreographer known for dancing in heels). And I swear I popped a boner. Like:

8dyYsiz.gif

I would totally wreck that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Those femme guys man, you can't help but want to smash.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's okay. A little conceit never killed anyone.

Sibylus

Banned

So, for the most part I consider myself a bottom. About 95% - 97.834% bottom. And usually the guys I'm attracted to tend to be older and guyish (I hesitate to say masculine).

But lately I've been having these top cravings. Like...3% top cravings. This is unusual.

And, stranger still, whenever I get in these rare top moods, it's almost ALWAYS for really femme guys.

Like, I was looking at Yanis Marshall choreography videos (he's a popular choreographer known for dancing in heels). And I swear I popped a boner. Like:

8dyYsiz.gif

*lip quivers a little bit*

Would let smash. A lot.

Caladrius

8dyYsiz.gif

Long sleeve flannel does not go with shorts at all, but he's impressive otherwise.

It sounds like you're going through a phase of gayvolution.

Garcia

Guys... it looks like I'm moving to Mexico in a few weeks!!!!!!!! I'm really excited/nervous/anxious,

Moving to Mexico City?. If you need some tips and guidance, let me know. I could gladly share vital tips so you have a good time. We could meet up if you'd like. The city is enormous but as long as you stay away from certain red spots (which aren't even remotely close to the tourist areas) you will be perfectly fine.

From what I can understand after using it for quite a while, the majority of the guys on those apps are only in it for sex.

I'd say close to 95%, honestly. I'm no longer interested in meeting guys via any of those apps/sites. When I was young and naive I thought I would find a potential partner through those sites.

Now I look back and I just trololol so hard at the past.

Replicant

I'd say close to 95%, honestly. I'm no longer interested in meeting guys via any of those apps/sites. When I was young and naive I thought I would find a potential partner through those sites.

Now I look back and I just trololol so hard at the past.

Welp. This is depressing.

Vazduh

VICTORsaurio, good luck!

How does one
hypothetically

Like I said to mah Romanian King™ Bladenic earlier, if someone is into you, he's probably drawn to your personality as well as your looks. I don't think one ever gets fully used to that, but try reminding yourself of that every now and then. I bet you're as awesome IRL.

Also, I'm trying to make my OkCupid profile less geeky but it's so hard. Everyone who sees it must think I'm a crazy nerd haha.

Being geeky is never a bad thing, tbh, geeks are hot
pSlGFJ5.gif
pSlGFJ5.gif
If you still feel like it's too geeky, just put a link to your profile and maybe some of us can help.

Unemployment depression tbh.

That's the worst, I'm really sorry you're bummed out :( Hopefully you find another job soon, fingers crossed.

8dyYsiz.gif

It's not strange, Yannis is super-confident and hot as fuq. I mean, just look at that gif, he just owns his sexuality like a boss.

And I have a thing for guys wearing flannel shirts ;_;

Natetan

8dyYsiz.gif

That video made me think a lot of things

-I wish the super bowl half time show was like this

I wish I could meet a guy like that who is versatile. We could tear each other up

I lold when he did the splits though. It was a mixture of humor sexy

Garcia

Welp. This is depressing.

It depends on how you look at it. I just stopped caring about dating sites and apps a long time ago, but at the same time I learned to look for potential partners and friends IRL. It's been so much better; no disappointments whatsoever.

Another thing I really don't like about those apps/sites is the overwhelming amount of people who are in "open relationships". It's like a plague.

Dany

Banned
Has anyone here had to deal with feelings of insecurity regarding someone you like that you feel is crazy for liking you because you feel they are way outta your league in many regards?

If so, how do you deal with it?
It's hard. But you really can't think about it as that. If there is a mutual 'like' between the two of you then that's fantastic. Don't put ourself down because you think he Is better off dating someone else over you. You like him and vice versa. So go for it ;) don't let mind games trump what's actually going on.

Bladenic

It's hard. But you really can't think about it as that. If there is a mutual 'like' between the two of you then that's fantastic. Don't put ourself down because you think he Is better off dating someone else over you. You like him and vice versa. So go for it ;) don't let mind games trump what's actually going on.

Yeah you're right! Thanks!

Can't wait to move back to my college town in 3 weeks which is where he's at!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom