• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangi

Swapnote, as terrible as it was as an actual messaging system, is the most fun I had on any system by sending messages, lol.

BTW guise Kirby owned Japan in only two days of sales. It could have been the biggest opening for a Kirby game in Japan if it had been released earlier :p

Shame there was so little discussion in the thread about Kirby between the Wii U equivalent of the "hooplah!" fish and the Vita hoarder guy embarassing himself. Kirby flies under the gaming side's radar too often.

Now, give it to NA already so I can match those sales.

Also, Squeak Squad is bad. Accept it.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Oh god I love those, we had a Venezualian exchange student home when I was younger and she brought tons of it. Too bad they don't sell those in Europe afaik :(

I would find that veeery hard to believe since piroulines were originally created in Europe!

Kater

Banned
Piroulines are great but have a lot of fat and sugar.
Two piece of De Beukelaer Piroulines are already 130 calories.
wth

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I just heard about and watched Chozen after Archer.

It was part funny, part not. It's about a gay rapper, I guess?

ZY17ptM.gif

RM8

Also, Squeak Squad is bad. Accept it.
It's short and not very innovative. But bad? :( I mean, he was asking for a game to get used to Kirby's gameplay. It has a Metascore of 71! I thought it'd be way lower based on some people's opinions :p

BTW I hadn't noticed how insanely expensive these Kirby games can get, it's better finding a used copy in good conditions.

scarlet

It's short and not very innovative. But bad? :( I mean, he was asking for a game to get used to Kirby's gameplay. It has a Metascore of 71! I thought it'd be way lower based on some people's opinions :p

BTW I hadn't noticed how insanely expensive these Kirby games can get, it's better finding a used copy in good conditions.

Rm are you going to Japan this Spring?

Ahasverus

why are you asking this? do you have a hard time talking to the sex you're not attracted to?

I do sometimes. I'm with Lestat on this one, women can be so boring. So superficial. But of course once in a while comes a smart beautiful and silver tongued girl that I like.

I do sometimes. I'm with Lestat on this one, women can be so boring. So superficial. But of course once in a while comes a smart beautiful and silver tongued girl that I like.

That's a pretty big generalization you're making there about women. I am the complete opposite. I find it much easier to be friends with women. My best friends are women and they're not boring at all or superficial. I only started making male friends a few years ago :(.

If we're casually throwing around stereotypes, then men are emotionally underdeveloped and lack internal self-awareness and a refined social sensibility :p

If people were so easy to generalize, then we would all be really boring. But even those you can match to a pattern are interesting with a healthy or compassionate perspective towards others, so there's always more going on, we're just not always really interested in seeing it for whatever reason. I guess a seasoned sense of disinterest is always more in style.

Ahasverus

Sigh.

What are you doing?

Can be . Sorry if that's not the right expression for "sometimes they bore me", it got lost in translation :( please don't ban me :(

Not every lady of course. I was talking about some women I've met, but might be a something about my social circle. Of course I'm not talking about all women, that would be stupid. That's why I said, I do "sometimes" answering the question ("do you have a hard time talking to the sex you're not attracted to?").

That's a pretty big generalization you're making there about women. I am the complete opposite. I find it much easier to be friends with women. My best friends are women and they're not boring at all or superficial. I only started making male friends a few years ago :(.

That's great. My mother uses to tell me "you're the worst kind of gay, you're not artsy, nor you dance, you can't distinguish a color from another, can't draw for a living, can't manage a pair scissors, dress like a hobo and don't understand a girl's problems".

btkadams

i have anxiety over talking to anyone, male or female. i probably get along with women easier though, especially at work. i think my outfits send out a bad vibe to some men in the office, but i don't really care enough to change. it's a very conservative office.

I get along better with women generally. I think it's because my feeling faculties are more externally oriented, I'm good at getting a 'feel' from a room or other people; which I think as a consequence makes me more sensitive than a person with a more internal/self-reflective feeling faculty to social rejection or 'bad vibes', women usually have more skill in making other people feel comfortable, most likely for socialized reasons. I think that, perhaps in combination with them seeming less threatening due to a lack of sexual or romantic interest makes them easier for me to get along with.

btkadams

I'm pansexual and I'm content with my current level (or lack thereof) of anxiety. I just didn't know if it made any differebce.

oh ok. it just seemed kind of odd to ask in a gay thread ha. i'd say it's pretty common for people to find it easier to talk to the sex they're not attracted to. i'm not sure how different levels of anxiety changes that dynamic though.

Well then someone bring me a doctor, now I feel bad and weird.

I don't think you should feel bad - I think there was maybe a slight misinterpretation/overreaction to your statement.

I get on ok with girls and have plenty of female friends but I much prefer to have male friends. I find I relate to guys more in general.

Obviously there are guys that I find completely uninteresting, and girls that I get on amazingly well with - just like any rule there are exceptions.

tl:dr - don't feel bad, I think I'm the same as you. :)

Well then someone bring me a doctor, now I feel bad and weird.

Shame can be useful, but sometimes it starts to feed on itself and it overstays its welcome or usefulness. I don't think anyone wants to burn you at the sake, we're all glib or blase sometimes, it's actually one of my worse flaws.

Kater

Banned
That's great. My mother uses to tell me "you're the worst kind of gay, you're not artsy, nor you dance, you can't distinguish a color from another, can't draw for a living, can't manage a pair scissors, dress like a hobo and don't understand a girl's problems".
Not every gay guy is like Brüno. :p

Despite the fact that I can be into errybody I'm a complete white girl at heart and get along with girls better on average.

I also find femininity pretty attractive on both a friendship and relationship level, though.

Bladenic

Does that mean you're "straight acting?"

Ahasverus

Does that mean you're "straight acting?"

It's not an act, yet I'm not straight enough for straight men to be fully comfortable around me either like in a bro way, I'm.. a weird shade of "gay" (does gay acting really exist? I don't think it does and the term sounds somehow despective).
No, for real, is there any scientific study why things like the "gay lisp" or "gay standing" or "gay walk" exist? is it psychological or physical?

Sai-kun

Banned
Despite the fact that I can be into errybody I'm a complete white girl at heart and get along with girls better on average.

I also find femininity pretty attractive on both a friendship and relationship level, though.

Same here! Except despite me getting along better with girls, I somehow ended up in a spot where I'd say 90% of my friends are male.

But yeah femininity = <3

edit: i get major anxiety over having to talk to people i don't know. i can't do it. i cannot talk on the phone at all. it is the worst.

I used to be very social, but I've been numbed by this and that over the years and don't really make an effort to talk to anyone anymore unless it's obvious we share something in common. My quiet nature then goes out the window.

Gender has never really been something I thought much about. I can talk to anyone. I have more male friends than female friends, though.

i have anxiety over talking to anyone...
I only have some anxiety when I have to make a phone call. It depends entirely on the subject. I can make some calls no problem, even if it's someplace/someone I've never called before, but other times I just panic a bit and stare at the phone or just space out.

edit: i get major anxiety over having to talk to people i don't know. i can't do it. i cannot talk on the phone at all. it is the worst.

I only have some anxiety when I have to make a phone call. It depends entirely on the subject. I can make some calls no problem, even if it's someplace/someone I've never called before, but other times I just panic a bit and stare at the phone or just space out.

oh gosh, me too! I'm so anxiety :(

My ex suffers anxiety like this in a big way, and I really feel for you guys. It can be such a debilitating thing and I wish so much there was an easy way to calm that anxiety. *Internet hugs for all*

:)

RM8

Let's meet there!
Where are you going to be?
---

I don't struggle to socialize with females, but I never feel like I've created a brother-like bond with them like I've done with my male friends. I have mentioned how I appreciated my best friend's ex girlfriend, right? She's probably the only close female friend I have, lol.

Not to add to generalizations, but I find that guys are often more laid back, easy going. Plus having interests in common helps a lot. I can relate more easily to that, I guess.

Kater

Banned
I know a guy who acted really 'feminine' when he was in a group of people but every time I was somewhere were it was just the two of us he was acting differently. I think that was his real self(, or at least my Ego would like to think that :p ).

Caladrius

I get along fine with both sexes but girls don't really talk to me that much. Probably because I seem like an inexpressive hardass.

Mumei

It's not an act, yet I'm not straight enough for straight men to be fully comfortable around me either like in a bro way, I'm.. a weird shade of "gay" (does gay acting really exist? I don't think it does and the term sounds somehow despective).
No, for real, is there any scientific study why things like the "gay lisp" or "gay standing" or "gay walk" exist? is it psychological or physical?

There have been studies about the "gay lisp," which are referred to on the Wikipedia page on the subject. There's also this broader page on lavender linguistics, or speech practices associated with various gay communities.

I don't think that the gay stereotypes are accurate, really. I think there's just an element of confirmation bias, where we remember when people fit the stereotype, and don't pay as much attention to it when they don't fit in. I think the speech communities idea is persuasive, at least for my personal experiences. I noticed after coming out that I started adopting some speech patterns of the other gay people I was meeting. Part of it was that I wasn't being so inhibited and policing my speech, but I was picking up on things as well. And even online I've noticed that I've picked up on things, especially PopGAF-isms when I'm not posting seriously. So the idea that within gay communities these speech patterns become normalized does seem at least intuitively appealing.

But it doesn't really seem to explain childhood gay-stereotyped speech, or gay-stereotyped speech amongst heterosexual men who have no obvious reason to have adopted those speech patterns. I don't think it's physical, though. It wouldn't make sense for it to be, or else there would be something physically different about the speech apparatus that makes it happen - and code switching wouldn't be a thing.

i tend to blend in with the crowd. depending on the person i'm hanging out with i act like them. i try to be myself because after awhile i forget who i am really.

Oh god I love those, we had a Venezualian exchange student home when I was younger and she brought tons of it. Too bad they don't sell those in Europe afaik :(
I can bring you some!!!! :D Where are you???

I went walking/jogging tonight and even though I mostly walked because I could feel a bit of pain on my knee when I jogged, it was really nice: a couple of cute guys were checking me out. And there was this gorgeous guy who was riding a bicycle, I noticed him first and he didn't even glance at me. But then when I saw him again I looked at him and he was looking at me too &#9829; (It was probably nothing, but I don't care).

So my self-esteem is a bit higher now. It sucks that you can't really interact while you're running in a park.

There was also this guy who looked a lot like the last guy I dated but I think it wasn't him.

I used to have a certain degree of phone anxiety, to the point where I'd almost write out a little script or prompt so I'd know what to say. Not really an issue anymore. (Although I still feel too self-conscious speaking on a phone in front of my mother. I wonder if that has something to do with it all...)

bsej87

I used to get treated for Social Anxiety Disorder, but thankfully I was able to work past it pretty quickly and don't have too many issues nowadays except occasionally feeling codependent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom