• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's just that the double standard thing bothers me. always has
Yeah, I mentioned to Cyan that a bunch of us have been feeling that as of late.

I think some people are just uncomfortable with seeing men sexualized in any way. GAF is a great place, especially for LGBT gamers, but it still has a lot of growing to do IMO. Someone felt riled up enough about seeing a pic of a well endowed guy in his underwear to PM a mod about it, and here we are.

It's a bit perplexing, because some of the stuff that goes without issue on here seems far more risque than that. Hopefully people will realize that most people here would never purposely post pics we felt crossed the line, and we just want to have some fun ogling hunks, just as many other people like scoping out babes.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Yeah, I mentioned to Cyan that a bunch of us have been feeling that as of late.

I think some people are just uncomfortable with seeing men sexualized in any way. GAF is a great place, especially for LGBT gamers, but it still has a lot of growing to do IMO. Someone felt riled up enough about seeing a pic of a well endowed guy in his underwear to PM a mod about it, and here we are.

It's a bit perplexing, because some of the stuff that goes without issue on here seems far more risque than that. Hopefully people will realize that most people here would never purposely post pics we felt crossed the line, and we just want to have some fun ogling hunks, just as many other people like scoping out babes.

Let us remember when they deleted a PopGaf thread (PopGaf7) for something inappropriate that to this day we do not know what exactly what it was. There has been tons of hot women threads around here and there is always the top 100 female celebrity list with scantily dressed. It is not fair to give us that treatment when straightgaf gets away with tons of females in underwear threads on the year.

Vazra

The mods don't see every single post there is.

I'm ok with having only links for when I'm dumb enough to surf this thread at work :p

Im all up with making it safe for work by just showing link but sometimes they simply select what they want to censor.

Christopher

Hahahahah :D But we haven't even begun yet!

Eh, it's time to go to my cousin's wedding now, hopefully it'll pass as soon as possible. I hate trimming my beard, but since my family thought I looked like a hobo, I had to do it.

Since I won't wear something formal again,
at least not for quite a while
, I took a selfie for posterity. Forgive me, LGBTGaf :eek:

Looking sharp broski. The ladt page was getting a bit intense lol.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The mods don't see every single post there is.

While this is absolutely true, I feel like that only works as an excuse when applied to individual posts. When there are NSFW threads that stay at the top of the board for several days, have hundreds of posts, dozens of pics and gifs per page, etc. it becomes harder to swallow.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I drop into this thread maybe once a year nowadays and the conversation is always one of:

• we want to post NSFW pictures on GAF for god knows what reason
    [*]"nobody loves Cosmic Bus" - Cosmic Bus
  • someone complaining about nobody sharing their taste in barely legal boys
  • DR2K posturing re: his life

the more things change, dot dot dot

I'm honestly shocked that mods even check this thread. Or since Cyan was the poster and isn't (to my knowledge) LGBT, perhaps someone who frequents here reported it. If something is borderline NSFW and they get a direct complaint they'll probably just remove it.

Alrus

You mostly drop into this thread to post a condescending message then leave immediately to be honest. DR2K hasn't posted here in ages, and there hasn't been a twink discussion in ages either.

royalan

I drop into this thread maybe once a year nowadays and the conversation is always one of:

I drop into this thread even less, so from my perspective you're forgetting:

• Rez being bitter as hell

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
You mostly drop into this thread to post a condescending message then leave immediately to be honest. DR2K hasn't posted here in ages, and there hasn't been a twink discussion in ages either.

forgive me, I post lazily and forget to mention the reason why the snarky comment seemed at all relevant to me in the first place (because I'm so busy being lazy/snarky). That's entirely on me and your response is fair.

This thread works(ed) best for me when it was all about supporting other people. I suppose I'm still a bit bitter. Posting pictures of attractive guys and the inevitable arguing over preference in men couldn't be any further from the point. I'm just lashing out and being a kill-joy, I suppose. I do miss the old thread. It was valuable. On an internet that's probably 90% pictures of dicks, this other function couldn't be any less valuable. It's like a couple boys masturbating over a playboy they found in the woods, maybe? There's something communal about that. Anyway, who am I to judge? Carry on.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This thread works(ed) best for me when it was all about supporting other people.

Just a few pages back people were being supportive of each other (dead cat, unrequited crushes, friends reacting poorly to coming out, etc.)

Posting pictures of attractive guys and the inevitable arguing over preference in men couldn't be any further from the point.

and that was the first time in months someone posted a Hot Guy Pic. There hasn't been a bear/twink war since maybe the last thread.

I do miss the old thread. It was valuable.

This thread is valuable too. Maybe if you checked in more often you would see that.

Vazra

forgive me, I post lazily and forget to mention the reason why the snarky comment seemed at all relevant to me in the first place (because I'm so busy being lazy/snarky). That's entirely on me and your response is fair.

This thread works(ed) best for me when it was all about supporting other people. I suppose I'm still a bit bitter. Posting pictures of attractive guys and the inevitable arguing over preference in men couldn't be any further from the point. I'm just lashing out and being a kill-joy, I suppose. I do miss the old thread. It was valuable. On an internet that's probably 90% pictures of dicks, this other function couldn't be any less valuable. It's like a couple guys masturbating over a playboy they found in the woods, maybe? There's something communal about that. Anyway, who am I to judge? Carry on.

We have guys talking about their bad luck/ Good luck with relationships even non sex conversation but if there is a few moments a few of the guys talk about sexuality you gonna get all bitter over it? We are talking a bit about everything and if sometimes the thread gets into people posting the type of guys they like or sexual experiences (Which from what I've been reading lately has been spoiler tagged) bothers you instead of bitching you can simply add those posting the pics and unwanted posts on ignore list and move on or ignore the thread for a bit until it gets back to normal.

This isn't a 90% dick pics in here when most of the time it has been selfies, people talking relationships, gaming,work stuff and overall life. If you simply want to ignore all the other conversations and look at the things you dislike then sure you are looking at those things but don't go saying all that is the only going on when a lot of different things are going around on the thread. Stop with the toxic behavior which doesn't make you look any better.

Alrus

This thread works(ed) best for me when it was all about supporting other people. I suppose I'm still a bit bitter. Posting pictures of attractive guys and the inevitable arguing over preference in men couldn't be any further from the point. I'm just lashing out and being a kill-joy, I suppose. I do miss the old thread. It was valuable. On an internet that's probably 90% pictures of dicks, this other function couldn't be any less valuable. It's like a couple boys masturbating over a playboy they found in the woods, maybe? There's something communal about that. Anyway, who am I to judge? Carry on.

So you read the last page and assumed the whole thread was about hot pics I see. How unsurprisingly judgemental of you.

Let us remember when they deleted a PopGaf thread (PopGaf7) for something inappropriate that to this day we do not know what exactly what it was. There has been tons of hot women threads around here and there is always the top 100 female celebrity list with scantily dressed. It is not fair to give us that treatment when straightgaf gets away with tons of females in underwear threads on the year.
And that's just the thing, I have no issue with threads about hot females, but when they are allowed to post things that are just as sexual, if not more so, than the image I posted, I don't get it.

If what I posted is considered NSFGAF, then there are a ton of other pics/threads that should be getting the same treatment. (I'm not advocating for that at all FYI.) But what other course of action is there? PM a mod every time a lady in her underwear is posted? I don't want to do that, but yet I have to worry that any images I want to post are "too sexy" for GAF, when they would be considered PG13 other places?

And it does seem a bit trivial to get worked up about pics of hot guys, but a lot of stuff on GAF is trivial, but that doesn't mean it's not worthwhile, or fun, which is the reason I come to GAF.

and that was the first time in months someone posted a Hot Guy Pic. There hasn't been a bear/twink war since maybe the last thread.
And it wasn't like I randomly posted that picture for no reason. ("So anyway, GIANT BULGE.") It was actually related to a discussion that was happening here, and other parts of GAF.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I was replying via PM, but just to head off the derail at the source, publicly: I agree with the criticism, and frankly, it was hypocritical of me to post here based on my (limited) understanding of how the thread runs, nowadays. Entirely bitterness and laziness on my part and that ugliness is entirely on me. Uncle, you guys. :)

Vazra

And that's just the thing, I have no issue with threads about hot females, but when they are allowed to post things that are just as sexual, if not more so, than the image I posted, I don't get it.

If what I posted is considered NSFGAF, then there are a ton of other pics/threads that should be getting the same treatment. (I'm not advocating for that at all FYI.) But what other course of action is there? PM a mod every time a lady in her underwear is posted? I don't want to do that, but yet I have to worry that any images I want to post are "too sexy" for GAF, when they would be considered PG13 other places?

Correct. Report to Mods if you feel uncomfortable with the content on the threads. Example super small bikinis on big boobs without warning tags and the image posted instead of a simple link. They want SFW then report anything that you wouldn't want to get caught watching at work. The same way works for the male guys in undies. It's ok to link but put a warning before it. Still it is no excuse to post nude pics so those still can get you banned.

Hi!!! I'm BlueBadger! Nice to meet you :) I've been a member of GAF since February. I don't think I've made the pleasure of your acquaintance yet?

Carry on, you say? We'll do just that, then! :) these guys are my friends, and THAT to me is "meaningful", no matter what we're talking about.

mantidor

You certainly need to hang out more.

DR2K also left, NSFW pics have been forgotten mostly in favor of thirst for gaffers themselves (until now), The Bear vs Twinks wars have also been left behind.

It's now mostly pokemon.

Correct. Report to Mods if you feel uncomfortable with the content on the threads. Example super small bikinis on big boobs without warning tags and the image posted instead of a simple link. They want SFW then report anything that you wouldn't want to get caught watching at work. The same way works for the male guys in undies. It's ok to link but put a warning before it. Still it is no excuse to post nude pics so those still can get you banned.
Then lets just close every Dead or Alive and Senran Kagura thread right now. Some of those girls are literally wearing pieces of string over their boobs, and have their panties shread to pieces as they vigorously pound their butts together. (I'm not exaggerating.)

But I don't want to ruin other people's enjoyment of GAF either. I know for a fact that many mods frequent both of those types of threads, and they are left alone without incident. That's why I'm so confused.

Vazra

Then lets just close every Dead or Alive and Senran Kagura thread right now. Some of those girls are literally wearing pieces of string over their boobs, and have their panties shread to pieces as they vigorously pound their butts together. (I'm not exaggerating either.)

But I don't want to ruin other people's enjoyment of GAF either. I know for a fact that many mods frequent both of those types of threads, and they are left alone without incident. That's why I'm so confused.

I don't want to ruin their enjoyment too but if people are going to ruin ours why not make things fair and report back things that are considerably NSFW outside of this thread?

Videogames threads are a harder thing to get censored in some aspects but real women with skimpy outfits definitely are easier to send to a mod. Look at Eva Green controversial thread for example.

I don't want to ruin their enjoyment too but if people are going to ruin ours why not make things fair and report back things that are considerably NSFW outside of this thread?

Videogames threads are a harder thing to get censored in some aspects but real women with skimpy outfits definitely are easier to send to a mod. Look at Eva Green controversial thread or example.
That's so weird to me though, because I doubt anyone would feel comfortable emailing their boss a Senran Kagura gif. "Oh, they're not real Mr. Jones, they're just fictional teenage ninja strippers. Totally appropriate for the board meeting!" (Like this image that was just posted.)

Or how about the gifs of people literally exploding into a bloody pulp that get tossed around here. (And not always in a cartoonish fashion.) Those are totally fine, despite the fact that many of them are from R-rated movies? Why is that okay, but a guy in briefs is not?

As for the Eva Green thread, on one hand I feel bad about it getting edited, because it's a really cool poster, but I would consider it far more sexual than what I posted. If Brandon was in some sheer speedos, posing like he's in a David LaChapelle photoshoot, then of course I'd see that problem with posting that on GAF. But it seems to me that any hint of a guy having male anatomy is off limits, and that feels way overboard as a reaction IMO.

Vazra

That's so weird to me though, because I doubt anyone would feel comfortable emailing their boss a Senran Kagura gif. "Oh, they're not real Mr. Jones, they're just fictional teenage ninja strippers. Totally appropriate for the board meeting!"

It is weird but that is how things seem to roll in here atm with videogame threads. Also censoring an entire game thread because of the fan service I guess aint cool as there are some SFW images of the characters to be used on the OT. There has been videogames threads locked for going over the limit with the NSFW content still.

Or how about the gifs of people literally exploding into a bloody pulp that get tossed around here. (And not always in a cartoonish fashion.) Those are totally fine, despite the fact that many of them are from R-rated movies? Why is that okay, but a guy in briefs is not?
I understand but it seems the problem is more with nudity than violence (It seems to be more of an American thing as I see other parts of the world worry more about the gore)

As for the Eva Green thread, on one hand I feel bad about it getting edited, because it's a really cool poster, but I would consider it far more sexual than what I posted. If Brandon was in some sheer speedos, posing like he's in a David LaChapelle photoshoot, then of course I'd see that problem with posting that on GAF. But it seems to me that any hint of a guy having male anatomy is off limits, and that feels way overboard as a reaction IMO.

Completely understandable and agree but that is something we have to start taking care of as we post in here. More careful posting links with NSFW on the side and stay on the safety side as eventually that can lead to bans for doing constantly.

Vazduh

Thank lawd I'm home, all that noise and people were a bit too much for me. Phew, I can go to sleep now (it's past 2.30 AM here).

EDIT: Vazduh! Call off the investigation!

Yessss, they're alive! \o/ I'm happy to see them posting here. And btw, Masquerader, congrats on passing most of your exams :)

You look really amazing :)!!!

Also I just finished Color Me Rad..

Holy neon paint batman... O_____O

Thank you! :) And you're handsome as always. Keep those pictures coming.

Slé

How do you usually dress if your family said you looked like a hobo? Hobo is not only a beard afterall. Post pics.

Thanks :) Well, when I'm at home (which is 90 % of the time), I wear old T-shirts and sweatpants. Basically it's always old, comfy clothes, and since I rarely shave, apparently I look hobo-ish to them :S

Looking sharp broski. The ladt page was getting a bit intense lol.

Thank you, Christopher. Btw, I actually wanted to apologize for my comment from a few days ago, it was when you put up that shirtless photo of you and of course I had to mention thirst and you deleted the photo soon after that. Although my comment was in good fun, I hope it didn't make you uncomfortable.

I hooked up with a hottie last night and this morning and I said let's hold off on having sex. Hopefully I see him again.

Fingers crossed, good sis!

Rayis

Well, considering this thread is about people who share a sexual orientation, it's only natural that it would devolve into things that turn us on, including how we're all thirsty for each other.

Let's all have a kai kai.

Completely understandable and agree but that is something we have to start taking care of as we post in here. More careful posting links with NSFW on the side and stay on the safety side as eventually that can lead to bans for doing constantly.
Or just don't post anything at all.

I feel like having to hide pics that I don't consider to be NSFW is like admitting you are willfully doing something wrong, when you're not. If anyone knows my record here, I am very fastidious about following the rules and being considerate of others.

So until we get some further clarification from the GAF staff as a whole, I'll just avoid posting anything that shows the male body below the waist unless they're wearing pants or other "appropriate" attire. It's no fun to have to scrutinize every pic you want to post just because a guy's junk might be too "real" for somebody else to handle. :/

Vazra

Thanks :) Well, when I'm at home (which is 90 % of the time), I wear old T-shirts and sweatpants. Basically it's always old, comfy clothes, and since I rarely shave, apparently I look hobo-ish to them :S
I think you like being comfy. I shave because I gotta do a job search otherwise I would have a beard too. I wear band t-shirts or videogame shirts and some b-ball shorts. Then again I dont go out that much.

I feel like having to hide pics that I don't consider to be NSFW is like admitting you are willfully doing something wrong, when you're not. If anyone knows my record here, I am very fastidious about following the rules and being considerate of others.

So until we get some further clarification from the GAF staff as a whole, I'll just avoid posting anything that shows the male body below the waist unless they're wearing pants or other "appropriate" attire. It's no fun to have to scrutinize every pic you want to post just because a guy's junk might be too "real" for somebody else to handle. :/

PM a mod with all your questions about those things.

Thank lawd I'm home, all that noise and people were a bit too much for me. Phew, I can go to sleep now (it's past 2.30 AM here).

Yessss, they're alive! o/ I'm happy to see them posting here. And btw, Masquerader, congrats on passing most of your exams :)

Why, thank you very muchly~ However, due to the unique way that the UK's college system works, I have technically failed. But it's still a bit of optimism in my usual tirade of failures. Anyways though, thanks! And have a nice sleep. Preferably a long, wedding-less sleep.

You dastardly little being, you.

Vazra

I don't think the mods will appreciate doing sausage checks, and having to get approval to post random hunks takes all the fun out of it.
It's not about sending links. Simply asks about limits. Ask what things are ok and which are unacceptable. That would go as for hetero and homosexual content.

Me when I see a "_______ sure is looking good again" thread
tumblr_n4cf3zzI2F1ttovp4o1_400.gif

It's not about sending links. Simply asks about limits. Ask what things are ok and which are unacceptable. That would go as for hetero and homosexual content.
I already did that with Cyan. He says it's on a case by case, and thread by thread, basis. (It also depends on the individual mod's discretion.) There's no definable rule beyond no nudity.

So apparently we're moving to California.

Please dear God make sure it's the Northern half

I call that a...

PornoGAF

*Dons sunglasses*

Oh yeah. Very good.

Also, what's the difference between North California and the other parts~? (Pardon my ignorance, please)

Loving the avatar, btw.

That was... uhh... informative...
For example, a community thread might have the posts/pics deleted so it can stay open, but an individual "news" thread might just be left alone and then locked a few days later, so people can get it out of their system. This goes for things beyond just sexy pics too.

But I do think the moderation staff as a whole would benefit from some more defined rules in this area. I imagine it's quite hard for them to try and balance things, but I can only speak for myself when it seems quite obvious that there is a double standard, whether intentionally or not. (And in Cyan's case, I know that it's not on purpose. He's a great mod IMO.)

I smell a reporting-war against straight-Gaf. Prepare for battle.
You're (hopefully) joking I presume, but I don't think that will help anybody out. It would just make things worse.

(Though I'll still call dibs on Thor and Cap.)

Yessss, they're alive! \o/ I'm happy to see them posting here. And btw, Masquerader, congrats on passing most of your exams :)

Thank you! :) And you're handsome as always. Keep those pictures coming.

Thank you, Christopher. Btw, I actually wanted to apologize for my comment from a few days ago, it was when you put up that shirtless photo of you and of course I had to mention thirst and you deleted the photo soon after that. Although my comment was in good fun, I hope it didn't make you uncomfortable.

Fingers crossed, good sis!
You're so sweet, mister! O____O I'll keep me coming if you do! :D

I've never been in one o_o I came close a couple weeks ago tho! At a soccer game.. I guess the problem with being the only gay guy in my league is that you're prone to homophobia from the other teams every now and then.. And I guess I sorta lost my temper x_x
LOL

Hmmmmmmm
I.. Wat o_o

Caladrius

Oh yeah. Very good.

Also, what's the difference between North California and the other parts~? (Pardon my ignorance, please)

Loving the avatar, btw.

The southern half is more conservative and less gay than the northern half.

And thank you. Unfortunately with pride month coming tonight this avatar's gonna be gone within 2 hours.

We've had this issue before and were told many threads ago not to go overboard with the suggestive photos otherwise the thread would be closed. This is nothing new. I understand that there is a double standard and not every mod seems to follow the same set of rules when it comes to suggestive photos. I do think there should be a more clear line drawn but as far as I'm concerned, I don't really think what you posted is SFW. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that on my screen at work, that's for sure. I don't think there's anything wrong with a link and a possible warning. It has nothing to do with something being too "real" for people to handle, I doubt anyone PM'd a mod, they DO check the thread because of multiple warnings in the past. Some communities are just watched more closely than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom