• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

By the by, there was no snitch. I was being lazy and and asked Cyan to give a nice warning about it. "yeah just guuuyys blah blah blah bulges / you can post the pretties but avoid stuff that emphasizes genitals and don't do it ~all the time~," is how I put it.

And then you guys all yelled at him, apparently. :|

Well, I'm glad I asked him to do it. That could've been me.

I PM'd a mod expressing the same after the Jessica Nigiri thread a little while ago and was genuinely curious of their point of view on the matter. never received a reply, was pretty lame.

Hi, sorry. I really meant to get back to you on it... but it's a hard question and I procrastinated and days turned into weeks and.... yeah. I think it's partly an issue of visibility. I mean, this used to be an issue years ago for me when we had the hot men thread and it was partially because on the one hand, it seemed like any thread involving a female celebrity had the potential for being derailed into a stealth "hot chicks" thread. By contrast, we had precisely one "hot men" thread that was really easy to check, and threads about male celebrities did not devolve into the sort of adolescent bar-raising "Well, here's an even sexier picture!" one-upmanship that plagues threads about attractive women. So, when a moderator wanted to check the hot men thread they'd check in on one thread and and if they saw something that was going too far they'd make a comment about it.

But there were literally dozens upon dozens of threads that could reasonably be called "hot women" threads - and that's not even counting the multiple official threads. I know that it's easy to get the impression that moderators are always watching but it's really not true. For instance, when you asked me about the Jessica Nigiri thread my first reaction was, "... What Jessica Nigiri thread?" It wasn't a double-standard; it was simply that no one was even looking at the topic. And once someone did look at it, and lock it, I suspect that they looked at the thread, saw so many posts that were on the borderline between bannable and risque but otherwise okay that they didn't want to go through nearly 700 posts trying to decide precisely which users should get banned and which were okay. It's likely what I would have done, unless something was specifically reported that was over the top NSFW or if I happened to see something myself while skimming the thread. So, my impression that the moderators specifically had something out for GayGAF and were letting StraightGAF get away with murder wasn't exactly accurate. It was more that I didn't see what was being moderated in hot women threads, I saw almost everything that was being moderated for hot men threads, and ascribed intentionality to something that wasn't really.

So, yeah, the Jessica Nigiri thread eventually (though I don't know the exact point; I haven't read the entire thread) went too far. I don't know that you can use that thread as an example of what is considered "okay" versus what is considered "okay" for pictures of men, though. But I do think there are some differences between how pictures of men in speedos / underwear are treated on GAF versus how pictures of women in bikinis are treated, and I think it's primarily centered around how the penis is viewed. It's sort of a (semi)clothed reflection of the old, "Female frontal nudity is passé; male frontal nudity is still treated as intensely sexualized. Women do have body parts that are treated in the same way, but their outlines do not tend to be prominently displayed.

Hope that helps~

We've had this issue before and were told many threads ago not to go overboard with the suggestive photos otherwise the thread would be closed. This is nothing new. I understand that there is a double standard and not every mod seems to follow the same set of rules when it comes to suggestive photos. I do think there should be a more clear line drawn but as far as I'm concerned, I don't really think what you posted is SFW. I wouldn't feel comfortable with that on my screen at work, that's for sure. I don't think there's anything wrong with a link and a possible warning. It has nothing to do with something being too "real" for people to handle, I doubt anyone PM'd a mod, they DO check the thread because of multiple warnings in the past. Some communities are just watched more closely than others.
Realistically, people shouldn't be browsing GAF at work at all if they are worried about stuff like that. I wouldn't have that picture as my wallpaper at work either, but it's doesn't cross the NSFW line anymore than a plethora of other images that are left untouched on GAF do.

And someone did PM a mod about the picture. Cyan specifically told me so.

Christopher

Thank you, Christopher. Btw, I actually wanted to apologize for my comment from a few days ago, it was when you put up that shirtless photo of you and of course I had to mention thirst and you deleted the photo soon after that. Although my comment was in good fun, I hope it didn't make you uncomfortable.

Fingers crossed, good sis!

Nah I just didn't want to seem like I'm fishing please all the good comments you want ! All in fun and nothing wrong with making each other feel good!

Realistically, people shouldn't be browsing GAF at work at all if they are worried about stuff like that. I wouldn't have that picture as my wallpaper at work either, but it's doesn't cross the NSFW line anymore than a plethora of other images that are left untouched on GAF do.

And someone did PM a mod about the picture. Cyan specifically told me so.

Well, yeah, people shouldn't be browsing GAF at work but it happens, haha.

By the by, there was no snitch. I was being lazy and and asked Cyan to give a nice warning about it. "yeah just guuuyys blah blah blah bulges / you can post the pretties but avoid stuff that emphasizes genitals and don't do it ~all the time~," is how I put it.

And then you guys all yelled at him, apparently. :|
I think it was all very cordial. He was very pleasant with me when I PM'd him, and I felt that I was behaved likewise. I hope no one else gave him a hard time, but I don't think anyone did. (At least, I hope not.)

I'm gonna send you a PM Mumei for further clarification.

VegiHam

Hello, I don't think I've posted here yet but it looks like you're all busy with this important thing so I'll come back later maybe.

Hahaha no I'm not that tactful. I'm going to be hanging around if that's OK.

Hello, I don't think I've posted here yet but it looks like you're all busy with this important thing so I'll come back later maybe.

Nothing I do is important, so please join us.

The other members here aren't lame like me, so you're in very good hands.

Anyone with an Ace Attorney avatar is welcome in my books!! :D

Bladenic

it's just that the double standard thing bothers me. always has

You had sex with him last night and then didn't want to have sex with him again this morning? Why?
did he have a small coq?

Lmao by hookup I meant did stuff but not sex. If I never see him again, I'll regret turning down the sex haha

Welcome~! Hang around all you wish~ It's serious at the current moment in time, but it oft shifts in terms of mood rather briskly~!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Welcome sir. Enjoy your stay!

VegiHam

Nothing I do is important, so please join us.

The majority of the members here aren't lame like me, so you're in good hands.

Hello. I'm sure you aren't lame at all, and have many important things to do, so thanks for saying hi.

Anyone with an Ace Attorney avatar is welcome in my books!! :D

I hope you aren't offended but your name is making me hum the blue badger music over and over and it's so catchy!

Edit: wow you guys reply fast
Welcome~! Hang around all you wish~ It's serious at the current moment in time, but it oft shifts in terms of mood rather briskly~!

Welcome sir. Enjoy your stay!
Hello to y'all!

Welcome grumpyface!

I am SerialKillerface.

Now where is mopeyface?
Hello serialkillerface!

Christopher

Serious question outside of Cosmic Bus have any of you outside of "2 month boyfriends" been in substancal long relationships? Just curious.

Serious question outside of Cosmic Bus have any of you outside of "2 month boyfriends" been in substancal long relationships? Just curious.

... Yes.

... It... Hardly ended well. It's actually like a cliffhanger, really. But... Eh. It's confusing and I don't really want to talk about it, so... Yep. Sorry.

Alrus

I've been in a relationship with my bf for nearly 2 years now (it'll be exactly two years in the begining of August). I pretty much live at his place (he bought an appartment a few months before we met and we can't really afford to rent something else right now, but we plan on finding a place together in the future).

scarlet

My longest relationship is a month. And if you count the it's complicated moment, it's around 7 months.

And welcome VegiHam

Christopher

OK just making sure that show Looking did gay people a big disservice ...disgusting how no one could hold a relationship.

Man some of you have some interesting stories too what happened with the long distance one??

OK just making sure that show Looking did gay people a big disservice ...disgusting how no one could hold a relationship.

Man some of you have some interesting stories too what happened with the long distance one??
Two of the three mains are pretty dumb, (Agustin especially), but Looking is still a good show.

I don't think it does all gay men a disservice, anymore than dumb straight protagonists do for straight people.

Long Distance shit's awfully stressful and emotional. Don't try it, lest you be suckered into a void that you shall leave with a sickening thud.

Christopher

Two of the three mains are pretty dumb, (Agustin especially), but Looking is still a good show.

I don't think it does all gay men a disservice, anymore than dumb straight protagonists do for straight people.

Straight people have shows on every network all the time when do gay people get afforded the same opportunity

scarlet

Mine was long distance. Pretty sure it wasn't working for both of us. We have personal issues so there's a lot of inevitable drama.

And now we're not talking anymore

Long Distance shit's awfully stressful and emotional. Don't try it, lest you be suckered into a void that you shall leave with a sickening thud.

;_________;

Mine was long distance. Pretty sure it wasn't working for both of us. We have personal issues so there's a lot of inevitable drama.

And now we're not talking anymore

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. I'm so happy it did tho. He really showed his true feelings at the end. I was so naive o_o

I'm sorry you had to go through that ;_;

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Looking is a vile show.

Delio

He fell out of love with me. I was dumb and grieving for my dead mom and felt super sorry for myself. My bf at the time called me all the time to check on me but i broke it off cause i was just stupid then. We got back together but it just was not the same. I blame myself totally for that. In the end tho we are still friends.

Straight people have shows on every network all the time when do gay people get afforded the same opportunity
We don't, unfortunately, but that doesn't mean we should attribute shows that do portray gay characters as direct representations of the people that watch them.

To look at the show for what it is, a story about these specific characters, and not an allegory for all gay relationships, is the best thing to do in order to further acceptance of more shows with gay leads. Looking is a fictional story meant to be enjoyed, not emulated. (Even if some of the leads are soap opera level clueless and you want to scream at them.)

scarlet

Same thing happened to me a few months ago. I'm so happy it did tho. He really showed his true feelings at the end. I was so naive o_o

I'm sorry you had to go through that ;_;

Yeah, still grieving. But I'm doing fine, just need a lot of distractions.

I wish we could still be friends, but this is the best for both of us, I guess.

Delio

Reguarding the picture drama. Can I post a guy who is in equally revealing shorts showing his butt as in the socks thread? ( not to shit on the foot fetish thread but just wondering)

Caladrius

I haven't held a flesh-and-blood friendship for more than 2 years due to moving so I'm starting to second guess if I'm actually ready for a relationship.

bsej87

After spending all day moving furniture and crushing the shit out of a finger, whatever I had for lunch gave me food poisoning and I vomited in my car before being able stop on the spillway and vomit into the Gulf of Mexico instead (sorry, Rm). Part of the reason I'm moving is to do my dissertation at a new lab because my boss said some homophobic things and I finally had had enough, but he's safe thanks to tenure. I'm posting this in my empty former apartment because what clothes I had are ruined and someone can't bring me clothes from the new place until tomorrow and my cat won't let me vent because he just wants belly rubs. In conclusion, thanks for letting me vent and I'm going to pretend MK8 is here and not the other apartment ;_ ;

After spending all day moving furniture and crushing the shit out of a finger, whatever I had for lunch gave me food poisoning and I vomited in my car before being able stop on the spillway and vomit into the Gulf of Mexico instead (sorry, Rm). Part of the reason I'm moving is to do my dissertation at a new lab because my boss said some homophobic things and I finally had had enough, but he's safe thanks to tenure. I'm posting this in my empty former apartment because what clothes I had are ruined and someone can't bring me clothes from the new place until tomorrow and my cat won't let me vent because he just wants belly rubs. In conclusion, thanks for letting me vent and I'm going to pretend MK8 is here and not the other apartment ;_ ;
Take it from someone that is also having an atrocious week, things will look up.

You're getting away from toxic people in your life, and that can only be a positive. And considering you're working on your dissertation, you've got a great goal to work towards, and I'm sure this will lead to things working out they way you want.

Be thankful for the things in your life you are passionate for, and for the people and animals around you that love you.

GCX

I've been with my bf for one and half years and it's going strong. We've been living together the last 8 or so months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom