• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is grammar that bad? Lately I was being stupid and deciding to learn a 4th language despite my second one having weak points and my third one being toddler-level, and I wanted to try a bit of either French or Romanian (because I want to learn another Romance language for a change, lol) - Reddit told me French grammar wasn't that bad, but maybe it's just in comparison with Romanian. Regardless, I decided against it, I must first master the other two.

La pomme est rouge, though.

I think so. A lot of verb forms, irregular rules, and I never got used to all nouns having genders, etc.

Toronto's okay. You couldn't pay me to live in Winterpeg.

I live in a city that's half the size of Winnipeg, and only a bit warmer lol

I actually want to live in Halifax or Whitehorse pretty badly if my love life wouldn't die out there with me (especially in the latter case).

I wish I was Canadian or lived in a Scandinavian country (since that is what I am)

Oh me too.

Achtius

I think so. A lot of verb forms, irregular rules, and I never got used to all nouns having genders, etc.

I actually want to live in Halifax or Whitehorse pretty badly if my love life wouldn't die out there with me (especially in the latter case).

Oh me too.

Why would you want to live in Whitehorse?

Sibylus

Banned

Whitehorse, eh?

There are strange things done in the midnight sun,
by the men who moil for gold;
The Arctic trails have their secret tales
That would make your blood run cold;
The Northern Lights have seen queer sights,
But the queerest they ever did see
Was that night on the marge of Lake Lebarge
I cremated Sam McGee.

I guess this is the life you want? :D
And unexpectedly topical to the one that started at the top of the page.

Levi

Banned
This thread title - Isn't calling someone the Q word like calling someone the N word? Double standards depending on who says it, it seems to me.

Well, the thread title references a protest chant that has been a part of the great rights movement forever. "We're here, we're queer, get used to it." So in that case it's welcome nod to the struggle that still goes on.

But queer isn't just an important word because of historical significance. Besides the points made so far about "taking back" the term queer, it is also often used to take into account people with non-het/cis sexualities or gender identities that aren't covered in "LBGT". You'll see LGBTQ instead when people are being inclusive of asexuals, the genderqueer, poly- and pansexuals, etc

Lucario

This thread title - Isn't calling someone the Q word like calling someone the N word? Double standards depending on who says it, it seems to me.

'Queer' hasn't been a pejorative for a while, at least not a popular one. The community has been using it as a blanket term for sex & gender minorities, and it's no longer seen as offensive at all.

Kangi

First a holocaust denier, then the sexism trainwreck on gaming side, now there's a slavery denier...?

GAF's on a roll right now.

Grakl

'Queer' hasn't been a pejorative for a while, at least not a popular one. The community has been using it as a blanket term for sex & gender minorities, and it's no longer seen as offensive at all.
if someone tried to call me queer in a bad way it would be hella funny

Not sure if confirmation bias, but gay men are more likely than straight men to sincerely believe in astrology. Of the "of course it didn't work out, he's a Capricorn" variety.

Grizzo

I'm actually just Canadian (lame), my Grandparents moved here during/after the war and stuff.

There is no rest of it (that I know of) unfortunately.

I see. Can't blame you for hating ghe french grammar. It can get tedious sometimes. As for the nouns gender, you get used to it. But getting to learn all of that when I was a newborn helped a lot, I'm not gonna lie.

Either. Or maybe both.

Also have you ever had Funyuns? The ultimate in junk food.

Not even once :( but maybe that's a good thing, cuz I feel like I could get addicted to it. When I like any type of snack, I binge-eat it (like... a lot) for a short period of time and then I get disgusted with it, before going back to it a few months later. That's weird.

I see. Can't blame you for hating ghe french grammar. It can get tedious sometimes. As for the nouns gender, you get used to it. But getting to learn all of that when I was a newborn helped a lot, I'm not gonna lie.

Not even once :( but maybe that's a good thing, cuz I feel like I could get addicted to it. When I like any type of snack, I binge-eat it (like... a lot) for a short period of time and then I get disgusted with it, before going back to it a few months later. That's weird.

Languages with gendered nouns are so weird to me. Well not that weird. But like... for new gadgets who really decides on what gender the noun is? Like that new Soylent product, would it be "la soylent" or "[masculine french word for "the"] soylent" ?

Does the gender of nouns vary by region? Or has it ever shifted over time?

And Funyuns, you gotta try them at least once. I believe in your self control ability.

Is grammar that bad? Lately I was being stupid and deciding to learn a 4th language despite my second one having weak points and my third one being toddler-level, and I wanted to try a bit of either French or Romanian (because I want to learn another Romance language for a change, lol) - Reddit told me French grammar wasn't that bad, but maybe it's just in comparison with Romanian. Regardless, I decided against it, I must first master the other two.

La pomme est rouge, though.

Four languages? I barely know one.

Four languages? I barely know one.

I myself am trying to learn Japanese (have take two semesters) and Spanish (just starting). Am worried I won't be able to keep both up because I'll have to put a ton of effort into maintaining Japanese when I can't speak to any native speakers.

Grizzo

Languages with gendered nouns are so weird to me. Well not that weird. But like... for new gadgets who really decides on what gender the noun is? Like that new Soylent product, would it be "la soylent" or "[masculine french word for "the"] soylent" ?

Does the gender of nouns vary by region? Or has it ever shifted over time?

And Funyuns, you gotta try them at least once. I believe in your self control ability.

No, the gender of nouns stays the same everywhere in France. I don't think it has ever changed over time either.

Soylent would probably be "Le Soylent", because we're talking about a product ("un produit", which is a masculine noun). For another example, when we talk about the Game Boy, it's "La Game Boy" (or "une"), because we're talking about a videogame system ("une console", which is feminine). It's mostly all about shortcuts.

Gonna try to get my hands on some Funyuns and will give you some feedback after I give it a try!

if someone tried to call me queer in a bad way it would be hella funny

lol
Yeah, same here.
Queer (as a pejorative) is sort of like the word "jigaboo" (A very antiquated southern US insult for black people)
I don't think I could take anyone seriously nowadays if they called me a "jigaboo" to my face, it's pretty much lost all of it's venom over the years due to the black civil rights movement (it wasn't re-purposed in the same fashion as "queer" was though)
:p

Not sure if confirmation bias, but gay men are more likely than straight men to sincerely believe in astrology. Of the "of course it didn't work out, he's a Capricorn" variety.

That seems like it would be really fun to say though. Like not seriously but somehow inserting that into a conversation would be really satisfying. I want to do it.

I should actually try to learn it again, there's a lot that I like about French.

No, the gender of nouns stays the same everywhere in France. I don't think it has ever changed over time either.

Soylent would probably be "Le Soylent", because we're talking about a product ("un produit", which is a masculine noun). For another example, when we talk about the Game Boy, it's "La Game Boy" (or "une"), because we're talking about a videogame system ("une console", which is feminine). It's mostly all about shortcuts.

Gonna try to get my hands on some Funyuns and will give you some feedback after I give it a try!

Huh weird. A game boy being feminine. But it has boy in the title! Or maybe French is very progressive about gender roles. heh.

Also be warned, Funyuns can either be awesome or awful. Depending on random factors. Sometimes I love them, sometimes I hate them. Sometimes I love the first half of the bag but then hate the last couple Funyuns.

That seems like it would be really fun to say though. Like not seriously but somehow inserting that into a conversation would be really satisfying. I want to do it.

Well of course you would think that. You're an ISTJFPE.

Did someone say Funions? I love those things.

Apparently you don't love them enough to REMEMBER THEIR FUCKING NAME.

1307491046-funyuns-original.gif

Grizzo

Huh weird. A game boy being feminine. But it has boy in the title! Or maybe French is very progressive about gender roles. heh.

Also be warned, Funyuns can either be awesome or awful. Depending on random factors. Sometimes I love them, sometimes I hate them. Sometimes I love the first half of the bag but then hate the last couple Funyuns..

I love onions and onions rings, so it should be alright! At least I hope so. Otherwise you'll eat the first half of the bag and I'll have the last couple of them.

For real though I like astrology as a kind of psychological-shamanic template. Aries= warrior, Cancer= Mother/Child, etc. It's neat. Archetypes are fun.

For real though I like astrology as a kind of psychological-shamanic template. Aries= warrior, Cancer= Mother/Child, etc. It's neat. Archetypes are fun.

Yeah. It is honestly fun. Like, phrenology could also be fun. Feel some bumps on the skull and come up with stories and archetypes and shit. But once people start treating it as real instead of just pretend? Then I got a problem.

Yeah. It is honestly fun. Like, phrenology could also be fun. Feel some bumps on the skull and come up with stories and archetypes and shit. But once people start treating it as real instead of just pretend? Then I got a problem.

But phrenology doesn't seem nearly as fun! :p

My thinking likes to use mythopoetic narratives as a kind of perceptual shorthand a lot of the time, so I always feel like I have to defend kooky stuff like this or I'm being inauthentic somehow.

The definition of junkfood.
I always felt like crap after eating these things...I'm glad I phased them out of my diet.
They were hella tasty though. :p

Yeah. The food nearly flies in the face of Ivan Pavlov's research. When I ate them as a kid I often felt a bit sick/disgusted after eating them, but I kept coming back for more.

RM8

It'd also be "el Soylent" in Spanish, I think. Also, while in Spain it's also "la Gameboy", for some reason in Mexico we think game systems are masculine. It's funny because we can say "mi consola favorita (female) es el 3DS". Not sure if it's the same in other LA countries or we're alone in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom