• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
[12:27:14 am] <Mumei> I used to have http://i4.minus.com/ilGduTH2hxMTw.jpg as my avatar
[12:27:18 am] <Mumei> which is more properly animu
[12:27:27 am] <Cyan> are those both of the same girl?
Mimi no. &#128546;

&#8220;Pain and suffering are always inevitable for a large intelligence and a deep heart because she only likes jerks. Always in the friendzone.&#8221;
That's like the most fedora-wearing, neckbeard-growing, okcupid-ist line I have ever read. Well, fixed.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm glad this page has a porpoise.

cH4sSyV.png

Burdened with Glorious Porpoise by Nostradamoo

bimet

Hello everyone! Some of you may remember me from two years ago, when I was just beginning my dating story. At the time, I was still in the closet, had never dated a man, and wasn't sure how anyone would perceive me. A little after I created my okcupid account, I met someone special. He was in San Francisco, and I was in Reno, NV, yet we still connected really well. To spare you the details, here's the quick version of events: Boy meets boy online, boys interact for three months before meeting in person, boys fall in love somehow, I come out to family and friends, boys try long distance and realize it sucks, I move to SF, boys move in together. Just your typical American love story. Unfortunately, we broke up; it was a mutual understanding, and we're still friends. There's a long story here as well, one that taught me a great deal about relationships. For a first try, I say I didn't do too bad!

Well, now I'm back at it again. I created another okcupid profile, hoping I meet someone as good as that first man was. I still have very little experience dating, and after two years of being off the grid, I'm afraid I seem to be making all the wrong moves. Just recently, I met someone else that caught my attention; we were getting along really well, he was handsome, smart, and actually looking for something long term. I screwed up by over-thinking it, having terrible timing, and basically showing a complete lack of understanding of how the early stages of dating should go (I mention this on my profile too, so that people aren't surprised by my inexperienced). Part of the reason it didn't go so well is because I may not be ready for another relationship, and because I may be trying to fill a void instead of genuinely wanting someone to add to what I already have. Anyway, this is getting long.

Fellow Gaffers, please criticize my profile so that I may have a better chance at finding someone worthwhile again: https://www.okcupid.com/profile/Space_Buccaneer/ If anyone wants more details regarding my experience, let me know! I won't be disappearing again.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Aw cmon I remember feeling that way, don't you?
Pain and suffering are always inevitable. But the rest seems self indulgent.

Fellow Gaffers, please criticize my profile so that I may have a better chance at finding someone worthwhile again: https://www.okcupid.com/profile/Space_Buccaneer/ If anyone wants more details regarding my experience, let me know! I won't be disappearing again.
I think you wear your heart on your sleeve, and while there's nothing wrong about that, it can be a bit much for some people. I would suggest you trim some of it, but I usually have the opposite problem. I don't put enough emotion into my writing. :p

I don't know if people are always adverse to it, I generally am not, but "disclaimers" are not a good idea. By that I mean that you should not dwell on and broadcast your inexperience dating. Earlier on you make it obvious that you're into exploring and being outdoors and trying new things, so it is amiss that you state your inexperience here.

Since it was a concern in your post, I think the best advice that I can give is to relax while you're on a date. Have fun. The guy you're dating may not be the one, so try to ease some of the tension. (If that isn't actually an issue, ignore this.)

Put something simple like that you're still new to dating, and are ready to explore new possibilities in this field. Have as much enthusiasm for it, as you do for everything else.

daripad

Ok guys, I finally get why you want to get drunk, it gave me courage to talk to a super cute guy (so handsome it hurt). I really wanted to do things to him but he was straight :( Now I hope that if I ever get a boyfriend he has to be as handsome as him
so I'll never have a boyfriend because I'm ugly fat and I'm a bad introvert
. I felt dizzy for a while but I'm better now though my sister got really drunk and had her phone stolen and my father will definitely be angry at us tomorrow even though he encouraged us to do this. I really have a thing for tequila and soft drinks, I finally found what I liked. Also I kind of like girls but men are too good for me, IDK I just want to fuck guys but want to protect girls, is super weird. Still salty because this guy wasn't for me, he was too handsome :(

I think you wear your heart on your sleeve, and while there's nothing wrong about that, it can be a bit much for some people. I would suggest you trim some of it, but I usually have the opposite problem. I don't put enough emotion into my writing. :p

I don't know if people are always adverse to it, I generally am not, but "disclaimers" are not a good idea. By that I mean that you should not dwell on and broadcast your inexperience dating. Earlier on you make it obvious that you're into exploring and being outdoors and trying new things, so it is amiss that you state your inexperience here.

Since it was a concern in your post, I think the best advice that I can give is to relax while you're on a date. Have fun. The guy you're dating may not be the one, so try to ease some of the tension. (If that isn't actually an issue, ignore this.)

Put something simple like that you're still new to dating, and are ready to explore new possibilities in this field. Have as much enthusiasm for it, as you do for everything else.
I think this is overall quite good advice. If I had one suggestion in addition to this it would be to include some additional humour on your profile to give a greater insight into the type of of humour that you enjoy, while also helping to relieve some of the intensity of your profile (not that it's necessarily a bad thing, it just may put some people off). You have injected some comedic elements, such as the "run away" at the end but I think, relative to the length, you could do with a little bit more.

Everyone needs to familiarize themselves with Urasawa's Monster.

How frequent does this use tropes that one may typically associate with anime (age inappropriate characters, super geniuses with plans upon plans, melodrama, and constant action and twists for example)? I have watched very little anime overall (a friend continuously tries to push it on me, yet his recommendations were very unsuccessful), but they were very bothersome to me in "Code Geass" and "Death Note" (stopping half way through the show when many advise to do so) which turned me off the medium completely, yet the blurb of the show has me somewhat interested. While it is possible to just start watching it, of course, and see for myself, seventy-four episodes is a considerable time commitment, far more than either of the two aforementioned shows, and I would rather save myself the time if such tropes are present as they instantly turn me off.

EDIT Oh wait is Urasawa responsible for the manga and not the anime? If so, please pretend I'm asking solely about "Monster" and not the "Urasawa" aspect as mangas are not something I believe myself to be interested in.

EDIT 2: Oh well actually I should clarify that when I say 'turned me off the medium completely' I should say I mean it had solely done so in relation to television, but I am willing to forego that if this avoids such items.

EDIT 3: Although, regarding "Death Note", I did think the Naomi Misora episode was quite good.

Mumei

How frequent does this use tropes that one may typically associate with anime (age inappropriate characters, super geniuses with plans upon plans, melodrama, and constant action and twists for example)? I have watched very little anime overall (a friend continuously tries to push it on me, yet his recommendations were very unsuccessful), but they were very bothersome to me in "Code Geass" and "Death Note" (stopping half way through the show when many advise to do so) which turned me off the medium completely, yet the blurb of the show has me somewhat interested. While it is possible to just start watching it, of course, and see for myself, seventy-four episodes is a considerable time commitment, far more than either of the two aforementioned shows, and I would rather save myself the time if such tropes are present as they instantly turn me off.

To the tropes you mentioned: No, it doesn't have age-inappropriate characters, assuming creepy anime-sexualization is the sort of thing you're referring to here. It does have a 'genius' character with plans, but it's set within the context of a relatively grounded universe set in pre (1986, primarily) and post (1995 - 1998) Fall of the Berlin Wall in Germany, a setting which is integrally important to the main themes - almost like one of the biggest themes writ large, actually. It's not analogous to Death Note; the reason it sometimes gets compared with it is because both shows have male antagonists who are manipulative and intelligent. But their portrayal of this character type is worlds apart. It has drama; whether it counts as "melodrama" will depend on your tastes. I know some people who do not like the show have called parts of it melodramatic (specifically that a few characters have a few too many "wide-eyed reaction shots"), but if you are specifically using Code Geass and Death Note as your model for those tropes, then give Monster a chance. It's not the sort of always-on, high-octane, dramadramadrama, I-know-that-he-knows-that-I-know-that-she-knows-that-he-knows-that-I-know convoluted nonsense show that that is. It's a much more introspective, multidimensional, and character-driven show than that.

The first volume of Monster is equivalent to the first four episodes. I'd suggest watching that much to decide if it's the sort of show you're interested in.

I'd also suggest Mushi-Shi, which fortunately for you is available on Youtube through the Funimation channel. Mushi-Shi happens to be episodic, where each episode tells a complete story and there's little continuity episode-to-episode outside of the itinerant protagonist, but don't let that fool you into thinking the show is shallow. I think you'd like it. I'd suggest the first three episodes before deciding if you like it.

Planetes may also be something to look at, in terms of television series.

EDIT Oh wait is Urasawa responsible for the manga and not the anime? If so, please pretend I'm asking solely about "Monster" and not the "Urasawa" aspect as mangas are not something I believe myself to be interested in.

Urasawa was 'only' responsible for the writing and drawing of the manga, though the anime is almost a 1:1 reproduction of the manga. It changes nothing about the story, sans one scene involving an unnamed character giving somewhat superfluous information about another character. I didn't even notice that she was new the first time I read the manga; she only appeared for a page or two, actually.

I just reached the halfway point of the manga today.

<3

You should get the re-release of the manga! It is oversized and some color pages and some updated panels and everything~

Well, this is slightly depressing:

Very*

To the tropes you mentioned: No, it doesn't have age-inappropriate characters, assuming creepy anime-sexualization is the sort of thing you're referring to here. It does have a 'genius' character with plans, but it's set within the context of a relatively grounded universe set in pre (1986, primarily) and post (1995 - 1998) Fall of the Berlin Wall in Germany, a setting which is integrally important to the main themes - almost like one of the biggest themes writ large, actually. It's not analogous to Death Note; the reason it sometimes gets compared with it is because both shows have male antagonists who are manipulative and intelligent. But their portrayal of this character type is worlds apart. It has drama; whether it counts as "melodrama" will depend on your tastes. I know some people who do not like the show have called parts of it melodramatic (specifically that a few characters have a few too many "wide-eyed reaction shots"), but if you are specifically using Code Geass and Death Note as your model for those tropes, then give Monster a chance. It's not the sort of always-on, high-octane, dramadramadrama, I-know-that-he-knows-that-I-know-that-she-knows-that-he-knows-that-I-know convoluted nonsense show that that is. It's a much more introspective, multidimensional, and character-driven show than that.

The first volume of Monster is equivalent to the first four episodes. I'd suggest watching that much to decide if it's the sort of show you're interested in.

Urasawa was 'only' responsible for the writing and drawing of the manga, though the anime is almost a 1:1 reproduction of the manga. It changes nothing about the story, sans one scene involving an unnamed character giving somewhat superfluous information about another character. I didn't even notice that she was new the first time I read the manga; she only appeared for a page or two, actually.

This is rather encouraging to hear, particularly the bolded elements. I think I'll give it a chance based upon this description. An introspective, meditative story set in what is a largely grounded world seems much more appealing than what I've previously seen, and the anime being a faithful adaptation is particularly encouraging. Regarding what I meant by 'age inappropriate characters', I was referring more so to a lack of congruity between a character's age and a character's actions rather than a gratuitous sexualisation of young, typically female characters (although that admittedly is something I'm not a fan of either). Based upon what you've said, I'm quite sure this isn't really an issue or prevalent in "Monster", but to provide further clarification with an example, I'd cite the rebellion (to be broad) in Code Geass, where almost every influential member of the rebellion, and two in the established state, is of school-going age (or in Death Note where the two smartest people alive are both just entering college, one of those having already established themselves as the world's greatest detective). While this is often flimsily justified in the plot, and/or is a crucial component of the overall story, the characters' actions, motivations, and position does not seem to allign with how old they are, and removes some of the authenticity to me. I should probably just clarify that I'm not trying to say that characters who break stereotypes are problematic to me, only when it is done in such an extreme manner with little confrontation or justification. I'm unsure if I've adequately clarified what, specifically, I'm trying to comment upon here, so I've searched TV Tropes and located this here which refers to what I'm trying to express my distaste for.

Mumei said:
I'd also suggest Mushi-Shi, which fortunately for you is available on Youtube through the Funimation channel. Mushi-Shi happens to be episodic, where each episode tells a complete story and there's little continuity episode-to-episode outside of the itinerant protagonist, but don't let that fool you into thinking the show is shallow. I think you'd like it. I'd suggest the first three episodes before deciding if you like it.

Planetes may also be something to look at, in terms of television series.
I'll consider these further (Mushi-Shi seems particualrly likely due to the combination of its availability, relatively low episode count, and rather interesting format) but with Battlestar Galactica and Monster to get through I think it will be quite awhile before I get around to them. Thank you very much for the suggestions, they certainly seem closer to something I would enjoy than what I've already viewed.

Mumei

This is rather encouraging to hear, particularly the bolded elements. I think I'll give it a chance based upon this description. An introspective, meditative story set in what is a largely grounded world seems much more appealing than what I've previously seen, and the anime being a faithful adaptation is particularly encouraging. Regarding what I meant by 'age inappropriate characters', I was referring more so to a lack of congruity between a character's age and a character's actions rather than a gratuitous sexualisation of young, typically female characters (although that admittedly is something I'm not a fan of either). Based upon what you've said, I'm quite sure this isn't really an issue or prevalent in "Monster", but to provide further clarification with an example, I'd cite the rebellion (to be broad) in Code Geass, where almost every influential member of the rebellion, and two in the established state, is of school-going age (or in Death Note where the two smartest people alive are both just entering college, one of those having already established themselves as the world's greatest detective). While this is often flimsily justified in the plot, and/or is a crucial component of the overall story, the characters' actions, motivations, and position does not seem to allign with how old they are, and removes some of the authenticity to me. I should probably just clarify that I'm not trying to say that characters who break stereotypes are problematic to me, only when it is done in such an extreme manner with little confrontation or justification. I'm unsure if I've adequately clarified what, specifically, I'm trying to comment upon here, so I've searched TV Tropes and located this here which refers to what I'm trying to express my distaste for.

Hm. It does have a young character doing things that are unusual for that character's age, but it's not presented as expected or normal in the same way that something it's treated as normal that high-school-student-Light is on the investigation team in Death Note... so I think you'll be fine.

I'll consider these further (Mushi-Shi seems particualrly likely due to the combination of its availability, relatively low episode count, and rather interesting format) but with Battlestar Galactica and Monster to get through I think it will be quite awhile before I get around to them. Thank you very much for the suggestions, they certainly seem closer to something I would enjoy than what I've already viewed.

Yay. <3

Same as I have now just shorter and layered. I don't know 'style' names. Might post pic if I feel confident. I have a spot on my nose currently tho.

He used to have that mentality, but the place I go to is quite cheap but still do an awesome job.

I need to find a place like that -_-

JCG

It's true that anime and manga often do a lot of this, since Japan has an obsession with both youth in general and idealized portrayals of high school in particular due to the real or perceived loss of personal freedom that comes with entering adulthood in a highly disciplined society, but at the same time one could argue most of their fictional stories and universes are not interested in pretending to be realistic in the first place. Well, at least not any more than the average comic book or Hollywood movie. Escapism implies having a rather generous amount of suspension of disbelief and tolerance for universes that have their own set of rules, with one of the most common guidelines being that teenagers will often take the center stage and get special treatment for it, rather than asking for authenticity or expecting them to accurately portray the limits and nuances of reality. Personally, I couldn't even be a fan of Super Robots if I felt remotely allergic to the concept of teens running around in implausible positions of relative or absolute power.

Having said that, Monster is a good recommendation for all of the previously mentioned reasons, and particularly for those who want a more down-to-earth and realistic framework to their fiction (although, in retrospect, Johan does get away with a few deceptions or manipulations that even Light or Lelouch didn't pull off...which sometimes stands out more, given the surrounding context, even if it doesn't bother me that much in the long run). By the way...if you're into science fiction and space opera, Legend of the Galactic Heroes can't be recommended enough. The cast is, by and large, quite age appropriate.

I am ambivalent towards Monster, because I feel like it went out of its way to avoid supernatural elements and wanted to follow the rules of the real world. But then it had the most bullshit psychology ever. Found it hard to get past that. Everything else about it was great.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm talking about Moomay.

Lol american grizzo.

Haly

It's like a choice ribeye vs prime dry aged ribeye.

Sure, it's ribeye, but one is clearly superior!

Alrus

Huh weird. A game boy being feminine. But it has boy in the title! Or maybe French is very progressive about gender roles. heh.

The content of the Proper noun (I don't know how they're called in english, pretty anything that start with an upper case letter) doesn't really matter. You use the gender of the type of thing the Proper noun is.

For example, a Gameboy is a portable console, and a console is feminine in French.
Soylent is, well a food complement or a milkshake, both are masculine so you'd say "Le Soylent" or "Du Soylent".

But all in all, someone learning french wouldn't really have any easy way to know the gender of a ward, it'd be either studying a list by heart or just remembering them through regular practice.

Haly

Nice haircut.

I wish I was born with wavier hair. I need to expend a lot of effort to give it some body. Otherwise, it's all straight as rulers.

I envy the people who can pull off that bed-hair look effortlessly.

Grakl

Nice haircut.

I wish I was born with wavier hair. I need to expend a lot of effort to give it some body. Otherwise, it's all straight as rulers.

I envy the people who can pull off that bed-hair look effortlessly.

I hate my wavy hair, I wish it was straight! I can just wet my hair real quick and do the cool bed-hair look, but I'd rather just have it lay down lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom