• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, remember the guy who I wanted to date and then didn't want to because I thought he was an asshole? Well, he isn't really, and he has a boyfriend, but he became my friend in the last few days, he is a cool guy.

Well, he was with his boyfriend in the city close to my town, they were at a park. Then the cops saw them and arrested them, while throwing insults and slurs at them and telling them that they "didn't have the right to be gay". They weren't even kissing there, they were just seated hugging. Well, they didn't take them to jail but they proceeded to steal their money and their mobiles and after that they set them free. They couldn't defend themselves and they were demanded to not go around that place anymore.

I feel so bad for them, and I'm angry because this represents the society I have around. If this happened in the city, I can't imagine how bad the situation is at my town. We're really behind on many things, I live in the 19th century in this place. Ugh.
What the fuck? That's horrible, thankfully they weren't hurt.

besada

Banned
The Oppression Olympics are in full swing right now.
:p
So, I have an opinion on this, and it pretty closely mirrors moderation policy, so let me explain it.

No one cares if you think someone else's organs or what they do with them is gross. We do care if you run around saying it, because that is hurtful to people who are going to see your posts. Saying you think vaginas are disgusting isn't okay. Saying you think gay sex is disgusting isn't okay. People see these things and it taps into often decades of shaming they've suffered at the hands of others. We'd like our users to be kinder than that. We all have opinions that it probably makes more sense not to express openly, particularly in big open public venues. And that's what GAF is. It feels like a tiny room of friends sometimes, but it never is. It's a stage, and thousands of people are listening to you, and you're causing some of them pain. All it takes is moderating your language a little bit.

And, if we can't get people to be kinder voluntarily, you're welcome to look into the "women shaving" thread to see the other tool we have to minimize the hurt inflicted on our members. It involves a lot of gray.

Kater

Banned
So, remember the guy who I wanted to date and then didn't want to because I thought he was an asshole? Well, he isn't really, and he has a boyfriend, but he became my friend in the last few days, he is a cool guy.

Well, he was with his boyfriend in the city close to my town, they were at a park. Then the cops saw them and arrested them, while throwing insults and slurs at them and telling them that they "didn't have the right to be gay". They weren't even kissing there, they were just seated hugging. Well, they didn't take them to jail but they proceeded to steal their money and their mobiles and after that they set them free. They couldn't defend themselves and they were demanded to not go around that place anymore.

I feel so bad for them, and I'm angry because this represents the society I have around. If this happened in the city, I can't imagine how bad the situation is at my town. We're really behind on many things, I live in the 19th century in this place. Ugh.

That's messed up. Stay safe, you and your friends.

Really? I mean, we haven't even the right to marry people of the same sex here, as far as I know. And it's still okay for many media outlets like "Krone Zeitung" to make fun of crossdressing or transgender people here.

Does Austria have some sort of civil partnership at least?

EmiPrime

So, I have an opinion on this, and it pretty closely mirrors moderation policy, so let me explain it.

No one cares if you think someone else's organs or what they do with them is gross. We do care if you run around saying it, because that is hurtful to people who are going to see your posts. Saying you think vaginas are disgusting isn't okay. Saying you think gay sex is disgusting isn't okay. People see these things and it taps into often decades of shaming they've suffered at the hands of others. We'd like our users to be kinder than that. We all have opinions that it probably makes more sense not to express openly, particularly in big open public venues. And that's what GAF is. It feels like a tiny room of friends sometimes, but it never is. It's a stage, and thousands of people are listening to you, and you're causing some of them pain. All it takes is moderating your language a little bit.

And, if we can't get people to be kinder voluntarily, you're welcome to look into the "women shaving" thread to see the other tool we have to minimize the hurt inflicted on our members. It involves a lot of gray.

Thank you, that's a big step in the right direction.

daripad

Yikes, I didn't now things were so bad over there :(
Things are bad over here, we're doomed

That's messed up. Stay safe, you and your friends.

I'm safe, but this is one of the reasons why I won't come out while I'm here

Is it (generally) better further south/east or is it bad in all of southern Mexico?

I'm not sure, but it seems that Yucatan is generally better, not sure about other states around.

Kater

Banned
Does Austria have some sort of civil partnership at least?

I don't know that term to be honest. Or maybe it's just my lack of knowledge regarding the English language. I have to google that. :/

Oh, and thanks for telling me the full name of the actor that I asked for earlier.

Grizzo

tumblr_n9axppDdhB1qlzuomo1_250.jpg

is it bad I burst out laughing while reading this?

I don't know how to react, maybe that guy (or girl) is really convinced to be a plant after all

I don't know that term to be honest. Or maybe it's just my lack of knowledge regarding the English language. I have to google that. :/

Oh, and thanks for telling me the full name of the actor that I asked for earlier.

Can you register a guy as your partner legally? Britain had that for a while and they recently legalised same-sex marriage, took long enough lol.

And no problem =)

Kater

Banned
Can you register a guy as your partner legally? Britain had that for a while and they recently legalised same-sex marriage, took long enough lol.

And no problem =)

I read a while ago that they don't recognize the marriage here.

Don't know if you can register a partner, I think when I talked with my mum a few days ago she said something about how it's not possible to register a partner of the same sex yet but I don't know if she is just confusing registering and marrying.

Embarrassing how I am completely out of the loop when it comes to law stuff in the country that I live in. >_>

I read a while ago that they don't recognize the marriage here.

Don't know if you can register a partner, I think when I talked with my mum a few days ago she said something about how it's not possible to register a partner of the same sex yet but I don't know if she is just confusing registering and marrying.

Embarrassing how I am completely out of the loop when it comes to law stuff in the country that I live in. >_>

454px-Same_sex_marriage_map_Europe_detailed.svg.png

It seems to allow registered partnerships, it's a babystep in the right direction at least.

Interesting bit:
The opposition party The Greens - The Green Alternative submitted a same-sex marriage bill to the National Council on 20 November 2013. It was sent to the Judiciary Committee on 17 December 2013.[10] The bill will be debated in Autumn 2014.[11]

Hopefully it passes.

Grakl

lol, it totally is.
Anytime you see something like that on tumblr it's a parody of what the anti-PC brigade thinks transgender people (who are nothing like people who claim to be "otherkin") do on the site.
:/
Aw, really? I thought it was just straight up making fun of otherkin people.

lol, it totally is.
Anytime you see something like that on tumblr it's a parody of what the anti-PC brigade thinks transgender people (who are nothing like people who claim to be "otherkin") do on the site.
Yeah, I've read some shit on there from the anti-PC people saying that Transgender issues aren't real or important and it pisses me off, but the reaction gif that was in the plantkin post made me laugh so much :l

mantidor

Where do you live? It's a pretty common sight here in Austria when you are in bars, train stations or in parks, sadly just with m/f couples though. (My country is pretty homophobic, but we begin to see some changes thanks to people like Conchita Wurst.)

I live in Rio but I'm originally from Bogota, Colombia. Bogota is very cold and that might reflect on its people, we are much more conservative with public displays of affection. Rio is the complete opposite, people here french kiss in public like is nothing, it took me a while to get used to it D:

Although its rare because Brazil still has a machismo culture, I've also seen a few gay couples kissing in public. Holding hands is much, much more common, in Ipanema beach is a completely common sight, even outside the gay part of the beach.

Kater

Banned
454px-Same_sex_marriage_map_Europe_detailed.svg.png

It seems to allow registered partnerships, it's a babystep in the right direction at least.

Interesting bit:

Hopefully it passes.

"Die Grünen" are a great political party here but they are a small party in comparison to the big conservative ones.

It could still go through though... hopefully.

I live in Rio but I'm originally from Bogota, Colombia. Bogota is very cold and that might reflect on its people, we are much more conservative with public displays of affection. Rio is the complete opposite, people here french kiss in public like is nothing, it took me a while to get used to it D:

Although its rare because Brazil still has a machismo culture, I've also seen a few gay couples kissing in public. Holding hands is much, much more common, in Ipanema beach is a completely common sight, even outside the gay part of the beach.

I heard about Rio, yeah. They are really open about their sexuality from what I've seen in documentaries.
I've not once seen a guy (besides myself with my past boyfriends) holding hands with another guy in my city. It's really sad. :/

There are some lesbian couples that walk often through the shopping streets here but as always, it's okay because it fits the hetero male gaze.

Yeah, I've read some shit on there from the anti-PC people saying that Transgender issues aren't real or important and it pisses me off, but the reaction gif that was in the plantkin post made me laugh so much :l

The anti-pc people that have come about on tumblr often exhibit all of the common stereotypes that are attributed to young straight cis white men and their understanding of minority problems.
I'm so glad that it's easy to avoid those guys if you don't follow overzealous young people (who's hearts are in the right place of course) who dedicate their blogs to social issues.

Aw, really? I thought it was just straight up making fun of otherkin people.

I believe it's also making fun of otherkin people as well.
:p

EmiPrime

lol, it totally is.

Then again given the number of people on Tumblr claiming to have multiple personalities in one body, each representing a different type of otherkin... maybe I am wrong!

I find the way these otherkins and the trans-racial/ethnic weirdoes try to piggy back on transgender politics and theory deeply problematic.

EmiPrime

lets not do this

Weirdoes was a bit strong but given they are typically a bunch of white people going through a phase claiming that they are Japanese or wolves (never something like a marmot or a rabbit) in a bid to seem special, appropriating transgender language and theory to try to gain legitimacy harming trans people in the process, I am not going to think too much of them especially those old enough to know better rather than troubled white kids desperately looking for something that makes them unique or different.

Always shocked to see someone who is openly racist and homophobic (and I mean openly. Not even subtle. Said shit like "gay men love to diddle boys") with positive karma on reddit.

Dude shockingly posts on r/conservative

daripad

I couldn't recognize them on the phone :p

Valbuena is quite good looking, hell, even my sister who is a lesbian told me that he was was cute.

Kater

Banned
Always shocked to see someone who is openly racist and homophobic (and I mean openly. Not even subtle. Said shit like "gay men love to diddle boys") with positive karma on reddit.

Just made a profile on Reddit and since you seem to be a bit active on there I wanted to ask you, do you know any good subreddits that are well moderated and don't allow hateful speech? Looked through a bunch of gaming related (or, well anything about cats, politics or cute guys) subreddits and they were full of sexist, homo- and/or transphobic slurs. :/

Also, lol. Someone made a "NeoGAF sucks" subreddit. Pathetic.

It's just a bunch of same minded people giving each other likes sounds like.

Then again given the number of people on Tumblr claiming to have multiple personalities in one body, each representing a different type of otherkin... maybe I am wrong!

I find the way these otherkins and the trans-racial/ethnic weirdoes try to piggy back on transgender politics and theory deeply problematic.

Yeah, I get where you're coming from (though as you've stated in your reply to RatskyWatsky, "weirdo" is a bit of a strong word)
One has to have a total lack of general social awareness or no real understanding of the transgender umbrella to think that some unproven quasi-religious concept like being an "otherkin " is actually equivalent to being a real life tangible transsexual person.
Tbh, I didn't even know about these silly otherkin people until I laid my eyes on one of those silly tumblr parodies and after learning about them they sound like every other silly new-age religious group.

RM8

Just made a profile on Reddit and since you seem to be a bit active on there I wanted to ask you, do you know any good subreddits that are well moderated and don't allow hateful speech? Looked through a bunch of gaming related (or, well anything about cats, politics or cute guys) subreddits and they were full of sexist, homo- and/or transphobic slurs. :/

/r/games is a bit more strict than /r/gaming. There are plenty of cool subreddits, actually, I mostly lurk / post in:

/r/3DS
/r/iosgaming
/r/languagelearning
/r/spanish
/r/worldnews
/r/technology
/r/todayilearned
/r/mexico
/r/pyongyang (this can be funny at times :p)

Reddit is an everything-goes place with an incredibly low entry barrier, it's easy to find terrible posts. But they tend to get buried below the good posts because of the voting system, at least in "good" subreddits.

EmiPrime

Yeah, I get where you're coming from (though as you've stated in your reply to RatskyWatsky, "weirdo" is a bit of a strong word)
One has to have a total lack of general social awareness or no real understanding of the transgender umbrella to think that some unproven quasi-religious concept like being an "otherkin " is actually equivalent to being a real life tangible transsexual person.
Tbh, I didn't even know about these silly otherkin people until I laid my eyes on one of those silly tumblr parodies and after learning about them they sound like every other silly new-age religious group.

This blog post comes close to articulating my anger at these terrible people.

There are few things I hate more than appropriation. There's even people who claim trans identities despite being completely hetero normative in their gender presentation and relationships with no desire to ever transition. It's like these Tumblr people fetishise oppression and instead of recognising their own privileges try to claim they are something they are not for internet street cred.

Kater

Banned
/r/games is a bit more strict than /r/gaming. There are plenty of cool subreddits, actually, I mostly lurk / post in:

/r/3DS
/r/iosgaming
/r/languagelearning
/r/spanish
/r/worldnews
/r/technology
/r/todayilearned
/r/mexico
/r/pyongyang (this can be funny at times :p)

Reddit is an everything-goes place with an incredibly low entry barrier, it's easy to find terrible posts. But they tend to get buried below the good posts because of the voting system, at least in "good" subreddits.

Already subscribed to the 3DS subreddit. Have to look through the others.

What's pyongyang though?

I found some subreddit once and it had rules against posting racist, homophobic, basically anything offensive stuff. Don't know if that is more the exception then the rule, I'm pretty new to reddit after all.

And the voting system doesn't prevent offensive stuff from being visible. Youtube has the same system and everyone knows how well that works. :/

RM8

According to KnowYourMeme:
r/Pyongyang is a satirical subreddit community that purports itself as an official news bulletin for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

Now, you're probably talking about /r/worldnews, which indeed disallows racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. - and it works most of the time, IMO. And yes, the voting system works in some subreddits, but not in others.

I still don't know what an otherkin is and I'm scared to search it up tbh

Now, you're probably talking about /r/worldnews, which indeed disallows racism, sexism, homophobia, etc. - and it works most of the time, IMO. And yes, the voting system works in some subreddits, but not in others.
R/Askreddit and r/Iama are also good subreddits to check out.
I also like r/RickandMorty and r/television as well.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Giroud and Valbuena. There's a video out there of the former naked in the dressing room if you want to... research. :p

link

There's even people who claim trans identities despite being completely hetero normative in their gender presentation

What if a person's (who is biologically male) gender identity is female but their gender expression is male? Are they not trans?

It's like these Tumblr people fetishise oppression

this mentality definitely isn't exclusive to tumblr tho :p

Weirdoes was a bit strong but given they are typically a bunch of white people going through a phase claiming that they are Japanese or wolves (never something like a marmot or a rabbit) in a bid to seem special, appropriating transgender language and theory to try to gain legitimacy harming trans people in the process, I am not going to think too much of them especially those old enough to know better rather than troubled white kids desperately looking for something that makes them unique or different.

Who's to say they don't really feel that way though? You seem awfully quick to judge.

Kater

Banned

Seems like I'll check out r/worldnews first then.

Just searched around on my own.
r/gameofthrones seems like I could really like it since it's my favourite book/TV series too. According to the rules dumb meme posts, spoilers and offensive language get banned. Sounds promising.

R/Askreddit and r/Iama are also good subreddits to check out.
I also like r/RickandMorty and r/television as well.

r/lama is probably about Buddhism, right? Have to check that out.

I actually don't know many. But mostly because I joined some subreddits that have a really juvenile sense of humor that wouldn't fly on GAF. Like r/youdontsurf.

I like r/thathappened which makes fun of people trying to pass off clearly bullshit stories as if they actually happened. Though the humor in the comments is very meta and injokey. Though there's a helpful link in the sidebar that explains the origin of most of them.

I like r/forwardsfromgrandma which makes fun of shit often forwarded on facebook

r/photoshopbattles is fun.

r/lama is probably about Buddhism, right? Have to check that out.

That's a capital i, not a lowrcase L. And it stands for "internet ask me anything" I believe. So no. Not about Buddhism at all. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom