• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can be, but the hint system is very fair. All puzzles have multiple hints, each more explicit than the last, purchased with in game currency. It's pretty much impossible to get stuck and unable to progress the plot because all mandatory puzzles have hints that are super answer-giving-awayish. Optional puzzles are harder but you can come back to them any time if your stuck. Getting very frustrated with the game requires being particularly stubborn.

LOLL!! I might bug you for help from time to time! o___o

Alrus

I got tired of Layton by the time the fifth came out. Never finished it and haven't bought Azran Legacy yet. I should get on that someday :/

I still have very fond memories of the original trilogy though. The third's one ending is so great.

Is anyone else interested in pre-stonewall LGBT culture in the USA like I am?
Well you're in luck!
I found this great documentary a while back (I believe somewhere in early 2013) about pre-stonewall LGBT life in the USA.
It's incredibly fascinating to watch; I can't even imagine being LGBT in the 80s, let alone the 1920s!
I really wish this stuff was taught in our public schools, but who am I kidding??
We can barely get black history (the history of the second largest racial group in the USA) in our shoddy text books; I shouldn't even dream about getting any queer people in there.

RM8

xdifpwm.jpg
Great view :3

Well, again, I don't use those statements and I can see why they'd be considered offensive. Now, it might not be the same, but I honestly don't feel offended when guys state "no skinny guys", for instance. It's a good filter, I don't waste my time approaching that person (if I had the intention).
Is that a common "preference"/prejudice on most dating sites and apps? I only ask because I've seen a lot of people specifically state that they'd prefer a skinny partner.

RM8

Is that a common "preference"/prejudice on most dating sites and apps? I only ask because I've seen a lot of people specifically state that they'd prefer a skinny partner.
It's actually not uncommon to see on profiles of the "do you even lift?" crowd.

lol
Are skinny people even qualified to compete in the Oppression Olympics?
You've actually gotta face some real discrimination before you can start arguing about who has it worse.
:/

how are fat people oppressed ? People choose to be fat if you eat right and workout you wont get fat.

A bit LTTP, but yikes at both of these quotes. You guys need to realize the oppression occurs to people of all sizes.

Did you buy all your drinks? Yes.
What kind of bar. How long you been there. After work drink?
Club sucked so I'm drinking alone now?

I'm on my first drink, I got it myself.

Been here for like 15 min. mess
Nah more like an after school drink lol.

You're drinking alone too? Well at least we're not completely alone.

Monocle

What do I say? I'm socially awkward.

Like, "how's it going? "
Or something. Mostly everyone here is with friends. I'm like the only solo guy.
Just be all like "This is my first time here, how about you?" If one of them is hot, eye his body real quick at the same time.

_Isaac

Like, "how's it going? "

Is it your first time? If it is, and you're a little uncomfortable then just observe and learn a bit. Maybe next time you can take a friend, or you can talk to someone. No biggie. Sounds like a good time, and you even get to talk to us through it all!

Monocle

Haha sounds easy enough, thanks
I'll try it out.
Good luck!

Breaking the ice isn't really about what you say. If someone is interested in talking, you could just as well tell them that you like to wear a potato slice for a hat.

(Don't actually do that though.)

Like, "how's it going? "

I'm socially awkward too. I'm also going to be in your position on the weekend, so here's what I'm thinking my plan will be:

I'm going to go up to a cute guy and tell him that he's cute. Something like "Hi. This might be a little forward, but I think you're attractive."

The compliment will disarm him. I'm going to follow that up with an introduction. After that, make some small talk.

Caladrius

TIL the S in debris is silent. Oh English. I guess I'm glad I've never used that word IRL :p

Silent consonants are probably modern English's greatest crime against logic.

At least it isn't like old english where there was no standard for transcribing vowel sounds.

I used to have a few excerpts of that. Wish I could find them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've always been really skinny and growing up I was very self conscious about my weight. Whenever someone mentioned it or teased me about it I would cry.

daripad

I've always been really skinny and growing up I was very self conscious about my weight. Whenever someone mentioned it or teased me about it I would cry.

Bastards. I don't know why people don't think how the other person feels when thy do this. I hated my childhood and my adolescence because of it. Ugh I hate those people

RM8

At least it isn't like old english where there was no standard for transcribing vowel sounds.
Oh, this explains a lot!

I wonder if there's a language with even more vowel sounds than English (19):
ZALpqX3.jpg

EDIT: Welp, Taa has "at least 31 vowels". I know which language I'm never touching, ever.

I only recently realized Sean and Shawn were pronounced the same. My goodness.
How are we supposed to know? :x

Is it your first time? If it is, and you're a little uncomfortable then just observe and learn a bit. Maybe next time you can take a friend, or you can talk to someone. No biggie. Sounds like a good time, and you even get to talk to us through it all!

Good luck!

Breaking the ice isn't really about what you say. If someone is interested in talking, you could just as well tell them that you like to wear a potato slice for a hat.

(Don't actually do that though.)

I'm socially awkward too. I'm also going to be in your position on the weekend, so here's what I'm thinking my plan will be:

I'm going to go up to a cute guy and tell him that he's cute. Something like "Hi. This might be a little forward, but I think you're attractive."

The compliment will disarm him. I'm going to follow that up with an introduction. After that, make some small talk.

Thanks guys. It's my first time being alone at a bar so I'm so lost right now. I appreciate your advice. I kinda want to dance.

Sai-kun

Banned
Go dance! Nothing wrong with having a drink in your hand and just feelin' the tunes.

Also nothin' wrong with showing up to a bar on your own :p

Well, with regard to Seán, the fada (the line of the 'a') is of vital importance to the spelling, as it is what creates that "aw" sound in Irish. The "se" create the "Sh" sound. The reason the fada is quite important is because "sean" without the fada is a completely different word in Irish that means "old" and is pronounced as on would expect, "Se" creating an "sh" sound, and "an" making it rhyme with the English word "ban", creating the overall pronunciation "shan" (rhymes with the English words ban, tan, man, van).

In saying this, however, I have heard, but never seen, that in Northern Ireland "Seán" can allegedly be spelt as "Séan" but I must confess that I'm not really sure how this is handled but, to me, seems like a completely different word with completely different pronunciation as "Sé" makes a "shay" (using English pronunciation, rhyming with the English words "may" and "Day") sound, which would probably make it similar to the English name "Shane" rather than "Seán". I'm not the best at Irish, but "Seán" really should be spelt with the fada in order for the name's pronunciation to actually make sense, and to sound the same as "Shawn" because without it, while still referring to Irish origins, you're referring to a different word completely.

garyBig

TIL the S in debris is silent. Oh English. I guess I'm glad I've never used that word IRL :p

Last week I heard the word 'caveat' spoken for the first time. I thought surely that MUST be wrong.
Turns out, obviously I myself had been wrong about it all this time.

Or how 'error' in BrE sounds like 'era' in AmE and BrE 'era' is actually ˈɪərə. Nvm the various pronunciations of 'schedule'...

Hindsight as in BEHIND sight. Not hind pronounced like you do lint. My mind was blown. So obvious, yet I read it in my mind differently for 15 years.

sophora

Drew some male models last night for practice after a long while...feel so perverted...but it's one step closer to being able to draw pin-ups of super heroes I suppose. Feels so dirty but feels so right haha...

Ty4on

Oh, this explains a lot!

I wonder if there's a language with even more vowel sounds than English (19):
ZALpqX3.jpg

EDIT: Welp, Taa has "at least 31 vowels". I know which language I'm never touching, ever.

Many are diphthongs and long/short vowels. When does a new vowel start when you modulate between two, etc... The big problem in English is writing them with just 5 letters...

RM8

Etymology was actually one of my favorite classes back in school, of course it focused on Spanish, though. I ended up learning quite a bit about Latin! Which I have completely forgotten :p
---

Lol, /r/neogaf_sucks got closed. The ~5 angry jerks posting there must be furious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom