• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayis

Another important distinction to make campy/flamboyant=/=effeminate, there are such things as feminine guys with very muted personalities

I wish effeminacy wasn't as shunned in the gay community though, like it or not, feminine gay people are a significant part of the community and it kinda rubs me the wrong way when people say they want no "stereotypical" gay characters in media, being feminine just comes natural to some, I want more strong feminine gay male role models.

same here. I'm a (somewhat closeted) effeminate guy, and I love feminine men just as much as I love masculine men. I understand having a preference, but I'm not cool with treating other guys like crap because they don't fit some bullshit heteronormative ideal.

Also, It would be really nice to get some non-villainous effeminate queer male characters in Film/Animation/TV/etc. who are actually treated like people rather than full blown magical queers, walking punchlines, or trickster drag queens/crossdressers that only exist to make straight male characters uncomfortable.

When are they shunned?

All the time.
Femininity in men always seems to give some people the heebie jeebies thanks to our patriarchal society's disrespectful attitudes towards women and anything associated with them.
It doesn't help that some men in the queer community feel that effeminate boys and their gender expression contribute to our discrimination by non-LGBT people.
It also doesn't help that our culture (gay culture) worships the stereotypical hetero/cisnormative idea of what a "real" man is "supposed" to look/act like (Tough attitude, muscles, Adonis belts, "V" shaped bodies, etc.)

Another important distinction to make campy/flamboyant=/=effeminate, there are such things as feminine guys with very muted personalities

Yeah guys,there are plenty of uber-feminine women running around but they're not obnoxious people because they just happen to have feminine qualities.
Masculine guys can be be very flamboyant without having any feminine qualities at all (I've met more than my fair share of them)
femininity and flamboyance are not mutually exclusive terms; I think it's kind of ignorant to think them of them as such, despite what you may have experienced.

Caladrius

I wouldn't use these, but at the same time it's basically stating what you're into, which IMO is not really shunning if it's not accompanied by insults.

The thing is that those phrases imply that the guy would write them off immediately. People are shallow. A lot of the time they don't use those phrases to mean "I prefer masculine men" so much as "Don't message me if you aren't".

There's an undercurrent of disdain to it as far as I see.

I wouldn't use these, but at the same time it's basically stating what you're into, which IMO is not really shunning if it's not accompanied by insults.

Well, you're coming at those terms from a place of privilege (as far as I can tell) just like white guys who say that it's ok to say "I don't like black women; I find them unattractive" because the person is just "stating their preference".
Seeing sentiments like that on a mainstream dating app/service, forum, or social media post is very hurtful to the people that it's targeting.
I know that I often feel like crap when I see that stuff online.

royalan

The thing is that those phrases imply that the guy would write them off immediately. People are shallow. A lot of the time they don't use those phrases to mean "I prefer masculine men" so much as "Don't message me if you aren't".

There's an undercurrent of disdain to it as far as I see.

Exactly.

That, and it's just general negativity.

Talk about the stuff you do like! Leading off with this laundry list of things your don't like just makes you seem like a negative, crabby, and full-of-yourself kind of person.

RM8

Well, again, I don't use those statements and I can see why they'd be considered offensive. Now, it might not be the same, but I honestly don't feel offended when guys state "no skinny guys", for instance. It's a good filter, I don't waste my time approaching that person (if I had the intention).

Talk about the stuff you do like! Leading off with this laundry list of things your don't like just makes you seem like a negative, crabby, and full-of-yourself kind of person.
This is my approach. I agree that a profile that consists of what you DON'T like is not very inviting.

_Isaac

Exactly.

That, and it's just general negativity.

Well, again, I don't use those statements and I can see why they'd be considered offensive. Now, it might not be the same, but I honestly don't feel offended when guys state "no skinny guys", for instance. It's a good filter, I don't waste my time approaching that person (if I had the intention).

This is my approach. I agree that a profile that consists of what you DON'T like is not very inviting.

If people say "masculine only" or god forbid "whites only" they'd probably come off just as bad if not worse. Also it doesn't sounds so bad when you say "no skinny guys" because I don't imagine that's a very common thing. Skinny guys kinda have it better than fat guys. I agree that it is kinda convenient to filter out those guys that are always excluding people. Like I don't even have to waste my time on him sort of thing, but when you're constantly seeing all these guys excluding you, I imagine it hurts a bit.

royalan

If people say "masculine only" or god forbid "whites only" they'd probably come off just as bad if not worse. Also it doesn't sounds so bad when you say "no skinny guys" because I don't imagine that's a very common thing. Skinny guys kinda have it better than fat guys. I agree that it is kinda convenient to filter out those guys that are always excluding people. Like I don't even have to waste my time on him sort of thing, but when you're constantly seeing all these guys excluding you, I imagine it hurts a bit.

How about this: How about you just don't put that unattractive shit in your profile, and if someone messages you that you aren't attracted to, you just handle it the old-fashioned way and not responds to their messages? Or tell them you're not interested? Both options will save you from looking like a total tool.

Kater

Banned
Guys in my quest to stop being kinda tubby I walked 26 miles today. It's not really a marathon cus I wasn't running and I took breaks, but still. So, I wan't to know: what's the furthest other people can go? I need a new goal to aspire to.

26 miles? O.O
The farthest I could go were 22 km and after that my left leg hurt for a day or two.

A late response:

Usually when men are interested in things that are seen as traditionally feminine (dance, showtunes, pop music), the thing most tend to think is that the man is gay. Because male homosexuality and femininity are often conflated. Which is why people mistakenly believe gay men are gay due to increased estrogen levels.

Interestingly enough, occupations that are traditionally held by females often command less pay and confer less social status. Feminists and sociologists tend to argue that this is because feminine traits are seen as less valuable by our culture. This might explain why gay men (but not gay women) are often the targets of extreme vitriol.

I'm sure Mumei or someone else could source you papers covering this in more detail. I'm 2lazy4that.

Well, I don't need science as proof that there are lots of people out there who think that effeminate behaviour in boys and men is linked to homosexuality, I was taught that by my own relatives and by almost any guy and girl in my school back then.

Here you are called a "Tunte" which is probably best translated to "queer", "fairy" or even worse for showing any feminine mannerisms at all. It's already too much if you just care more than usually deemed normal about your appearance in terms of hygiene.

Maybe we can break that stupid cliche down in time.
Maybe in only a couple of millennia. :/

_Isaac

Guys in my quest to stop being kinda tubby I walked 26 miles today. It's not really a marathon cus I wasn't running and I took breaks, but still. So, I wan't to know: what's the furthest other people can go? I need a new goal to aspire to.

What in the what? 26 miles? How long did that take?

How about this: How about you just don't put that unattractive sit in your profile, and if someone messages you that you aren't attracted to, you just Hansen le it the old-fashioned way and not responds to their messages? Or tell them you're not interested? Both options will save you from looking like a total tool.

Sounds good!

Now, it might not be the same, but I honestly don't feel offended when guys state "no skinny guys", for instance. It's a good filter, I don't waste my time approaching that person (if I had the intention)..

It's definitely not the same.
"skinny"/non-muscular men don't have to deal with the same kinds of historical prejudices that effeminate men or fat men have to deal with on a regular basis.
"No skinnies!" should have just as much effect on "skinny" people as cracker has on white people; none.

Kater

Banned
"No dicks, except where it counts."

tumblr_mmup2rj4wP1rstq9ro3_r2_250.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
"skinny"/non-muscular men don't have to deal with the same kinds of historical prejudices that effeminate men or fat men have to deal with on a regular basis.
"No skinnies!" should have just as much effect on "skinny" people as cracker has on white people; none.

Yikes. Wrong, sorry.

Yikes. Wrong, sorry.

Agreed. In terms of body composition, public perception has normalized women being skinnier than the 'normal/healthy' range, and normalized men being bigger than the 'normal/healthy' range, so it's a fairly gendered thing. Not that it's the same as being effeminate or obese, but most skinny boys growing up would say it's not utterly insignificant or anything either.

It's funny how often skinny is coded as weak/frail. I don't know how many times I've heard "I'd break you!" growing up (no, you wouldn't), it does get tiresome.

Kangi

Being exclusionary is never a good thing. Being excluded is never a good feeling.

Historical privilege or lack thereof isn't a good rationalization nor excuse for such attitudes. There's a reason "Wow, you're skin and bones. Eat a cheeseburger!" isn't taken as a compliment like people seem to think. "I have it better off" doesn't just brush away any emotions you may feel (despite how people bring up third world countries every time you're lamenting your own problems).

Sure, being insulted for my weight is low down on the "offense taken" totem pole for me, but that's because I'm predisposed to be more sensitive to other things.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Of course you do.
However, I find it hard to believe that anybody thinks that skinny men face the same amount of historical prejudices as portly men.

Maybe not within the last century, but a gut was a sign of wealth and social status for a very long, long time. Times have changed, and the stigmatizing of weight now is not absolved by the fact that it was once a desirable trait in both males and females. Similarly, that thinness is no longer indicative of low socio-economic standing (at least in First World countries) doesn't mean people have free reign to judge others for it.

Body shaming is a negative regardless of cultural context. That's what I think Sai was getting at.

I'm pretty sure I never implied that it was ok to body shame skinny boys (don't know where you guys got that from)
I understand that skinny boys are all individuals with their own emotional baggage and experiences.
However, my post was basically addressing the fact that most skinny peeps don't run into as much trouble as effeminate men and portly men (or effeminate portly men for that matter) do on a regular basis.
Skinny/thin people are like the white/straight/cis people of weight classes; a good chunk of skinny/thin people don't give a hoot about being ragged on because they're generally in positions of power (Just like white/straight/cis people)

Edit: Again, that doesn't mean that they should be discriminated against.

Again with the fucking oppression olympics lmao.

Sure, maybe skinny guys don't have it as bad. You win. Now what?

lol
Are skinny people even qualified to compete in the Oppression Olympics?
You've actually gotta face some real discrimination before you can start arguing about who has it worse.
:/

Kangi

Again with the fucking oppression olympics lmao.

Really. Is this going to be a weekly occurrence now?

I suppose the best way to deal with oppression is to convince everyone that they're not quite as oppressed as you are. Guess it's better than oppressing others yourself.

lol
Are skinny people even qualified to compete in the Oppression Olympics?
You've actually gotta face some real discrimination before you can start arguing about who has it worse.
:/

This, on the other hand. Buzz off.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well, in other news.

tumblr_n9thz8zWcI1sauz8io1_1280.gif

Typical Supernatural guys doing typical Supernatural things.

I suppose the best way to deal with oppression is to convince everyone that they're not quite as oppressed as you are.

But skinny/thin guys aren't "oppressed" in any real way! Being skinny/thin is incredibly normal in our society; it's nothing like being fat or effeminate and they've got a much better chance of being seen as desirable in their respective communities.
I'm serious when I say that skinny/thin guys can't play in the Oppression Olympics unless they're representing some sort of non-skinny/thin team

Edit:
I'm guessing you weren't a really skinny kid growing up.

I often fluctuated in size, but I'm actually the kind of person who's height and build does a good job of hiding their chubbiness.

Lmao fuck off

Least funny post I've read in this thread

hehehehehehehe
grrrl don't lie.

Of course you do.
However, I find it hard to believe that anybody thinks that skinny men face the same amount of historical prejudices as effeminate men and portly men.

Oh, come on now. Historically, excessive weight was seen as a sign of wealth and status.. Of course, that's no longer the case... but conventional mores tell us that its perfectly acceptable to discuss a skinny person's weight whereas its completely taboo to discuss a fat person's.

If you are in the US, UK or Mexico and you're overweight, you'd be part of the majority.

... but conventional mores tell us that its perfectly acceptable to discuss a skinny person's weight whereas its completely taboo to discuss a fat person's.

Of course! Fat people are often made fun of and devalued for their weight unlike skinny/thin people who essentially have what is considered to be a normal and healthy body shape; even if "overweight" people happen to be prevalent in the west.

I often fluctuated in size, but I'm actually the kind of person who's height and build does a good job of hiding their chubbiness.

A simple yes or no would have sufficed, it was obviously rhetorical.

Body image issues for men are more likely to center around musculature for reasons that should be fairly culturally obvious; and skinniness is often interpreted as weakness or fragility which factors in significantly into the broader problems boys and men face in terms of how they're socialized, for reasons that are also fairly culturally obvious. Some impressionable people are susceptible to picking these things up and internalizing them. You're so strangely insistent that this is all completely trivial, I don't get what permissions you're giving yourself to speak for other people's experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom