• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
k7TwjvH.jpg

I'm pretty sure if "fierce" has a picture in the dictionary, this is it.

ciD_Vain

I remembered you because you were nice to me when I was posting in one of the old gay threads on some weird phenethylamine drug! (weird sentence).
Wait i remember you too! Weren't you working on some novels back then? How'd those turn out for you? Gosh that thread must have been like 3 years ago now. I used to use this avatar in the Gay and Bisexual thread:

28sriuh.jpg

RIP Andy Whitfield :(
Ahh i remember when a lot of us got that icon added to our avatars. Good times.

Kater

Banned
oh you think so? I love his suit, the tie is meh, that, I agree with you. Other than that he's really good looking! (that I agree with you too)

Yeah, it just doesn't fit. In my opinion anyway. But then again, I'm shopping Diesel jeans so many people would agree that I don't understand fashion. :p

Just wanted to say that I got a good laugh out of the first picture. "Hey Mum guess what!"
If my Ma didn't already know, I would steal the idea and show up with such a sign at my parents doorstep. That would at least have been funny.
As it actually went it was more depressing for both of us. :/

Will check out the link later.

okay so it turned out that he's actually really handsome

thanks for the suggestion! I have a looooong list of shows to catch-up with or start watching (there are currently 25 of them on my list) but I'll make sure to add it on top because... reasons
okay I'll admit it, because of David Giuntoli

Woah, 25? Does that include shows that have finished?
Awesome! It starts out slow but it's great once it picks up the pace in the later half of season 1. So be a little patient =P

Ok so:

--- (this is the detailed version of the 'for some context' bit above and can be skipped)---
I had been talking to FillerB in April and this was my detailing of the entire situation that had occured, the entirety of the private message copy and pasted directly as I imagine he won't really mind:

---that's the end of it---

Then I ended up settling on a response and style:

Surprisingly, that email response, slightly touched up, appeased her, and she was happy with the response even if initially things did not seem optimistic. Then, however:

And that's pretty much the entirety.

Oh and thanks for commenting on the number, I changed the link to one with the number removed, and deleted that track that had the number in it.

EDIT: And it is absolutely, one hundred percent not about what I got in the Leaving Certificate; I got far higher than I needed to do my first preference of Mathematics; to the extent that no matter how much the points for it rise, I will be able to study it assuming I've assistance with the finance, which is admtitedly unlikely.

What a horrible situation, I want to hug you right now and tell you everything will turn out all right. May I ask how old you are? You need to get out of that toxic environment ASAP, even if that means you won't be able to afford uni for the time being, your mental health is much more important. Seriously, get out and remove all ties, nothing good will ever come out of this ''relationship'' with them. Once you've done that you can create your real family. Look for a place and job and start saving for uni.

Gorgeous.

I really don't like the suit in the second picture though, doesn't fit the colour of his hair at all. And the tie is just... bleh

Could be, I have to ask my mother, she probably still remembers the name of the village or at least the region.

Dark brown hair looks great with blue clothes =P
Don't like the tie, but I didn't even notice it lol.

Wait i remember you too! Weren't you working on some novels back then? How'd those turn out for you? Gosh that thread must have been like 3 years ago now. I used to use this avatar in the Gay and Bisexual thread:

28sriuh.jpg

Andy was great in Spartacus!

I cried real tears at the last shot of Spartacus, it caught me off guard. I still haven't worked up the courage to rewatch the series. Him dying hit me really hard for some reason.

I cried too, I tear up every time I watch that scene, so beautiful.

It's sad and terrifying at the same time that someone so strong can be taken down by cancer.

daripad

You are so. freaking. young. though. I wish I was your age, you are going to live in dozens of different places if you put your mind and work towards that objective.

I tried once to get out of here but failed. Doesnt mean I won't try again, I just need to do some things before being able to do so.

A close friend of mine doesn't believe I'm gay. He just believes that I haven't met the right girl. I don't know how to feel about that...

Straight people will always be in denial. Just tell him that you had feelings for him at some point, worked for me
don't do it! I worked for me but doesn't mean it will work for you

28sriuh.jpg

That was a long time ago, it's kind of weird to think about!

I'm surprised you remembered that. To be honest I lost interest in it, pretty much all I write now is expository prose and the odd poem. Instead my interests have shifted towards Buddhist philosophy and meditation/mindfulness techniques, and the life plan lately was going back to school for counseling psych, and maybe becoming a monk some day when I feel alright with giving up worldliness and stuff :p

What have you been up to, apart from enjoying romantic contentment?

Alrus

Straight people will always be in denial. Just tell him that you had feelings for him at some point, worked for me
don't do it! I worked for me but doesn't mean it will work for you

What does this mean? I can assure you that I never had to tell my straight friends that I had feeling for them to get them to believe I was gay :p

daripad

What does this mean? I can assure you that I never had to tell my straight friends that I had feeling for them to get them to believe I was gay :p

Well, not all of them, but most of them react that way. Surely, I didn't have to do that with the rest of my friends, I was just kidding on that part.

That's nice.
Impatientfingertapping.gif

Seriously though. That's great. What'd he say?
well just some small talk and then he said something like "we should repeat last night". Which left me wondering what part of the night he's talking about. Hopefully he's talking about the whole thing.

yeah, right.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
FML

I hope you find a way out of this situation. Do you even have any relatives at all that may be able to help for a short while, or friends? I guess you'll have to find a more stable job first, then a place to live, and finally maintain a good balance.

It will be hard, I imagine, but hopefully you can pull through. Not having to deal with your father will be a reward in itself.

Alrus

Well, not all of them, but most of them react that way. Surely, I didn't have to do that with the rest of my friends, I was just kidding on that part.

I guess it depends on where you're from. Because I have never met a straight person who reacted that way.

GCX

I guess it depends on where you're from. Because I have never met a straight person who reacted that way.
Yep, me neither.

Btw, my bf has a Chinese friend who visited us recently on his trip here (the real reason for the trip was to visit his secret boyfriend). He had half-accidentally told his super-traditional mom he was gay a while back and that shocked her so much that she put together an arranged marriage. Now he has to marry some local Chinese girl who he has been friends with since childhood but doesn't feel physically attracted at all. Even though he doesn't have much money he had to make one last trip here in Finland to meet his boyfriend before the marriage because they'll probably never see each other again.

I felt so bad for him but I couldn't really tell him any advice because the cultural gap between China and Europe is huge in a situation like this. It's pretty much impossible for him to escape his fate. The whole thing sounded like a surreal nightmare to me but it was very real for him. :/

garyBig

Yep, me neither.

Btw, my bf has a Chinese friend who visited us recently on his trip here (the real reason for the trip was to visit his secret boyfriend). He had half-accidentally told his super-traditional mom he was gay a while back and that shocked her so much that she put together an arranged marriege. Now he has to marry some local Chinese girl who he has been friends with since childhood but doesn't feel physically attracted at all. Even though he doesn't have much money he had to make one last trip here in Finland to meet his boyfriend before the marriage because they'll probably never see each other again.

I felt so bad for him but I couldn't really tell him any advice because the cultural gap between China and Europe is huge in a situation like this. It's pretty much impossible for him to escape his fate. The whole thing sounded like a surreal nightmare to me but it was very real for him. :/

Thank God for human rights. This is surreal indeed.

Yep, me neither.

Btw, my bf has a Chinese friend who visited us recently on his trip here (the real reason for the trip was to visit his secret boyfriend). He had half-accidentally told his super-traditional mom he was gay a while back and that shocked her so much that she put together an arranged marriage. Now he has to marry some local Chinese girl who he has been friends with since childhood but doesn't feel physically attracted at all. Even though he doesn't have much money he had to make one last trip here in Finland to meet his boyfriend before the marriage because they'll probably never see each other again.

Poor guy, sounds like pure and utter hell.

Grizzo

That's awful indeed. I feel for him. Can't imagine being forced to spend the rest of my life with somebody I'm not in love with. At least she's not a perfect stranger to him since they are friends, but that's a small comfort. We've got a long way to go as far as acceptance goes... Especially in countries with deeply rooted traditions.

GCX

That's awful indeed. I feel for him. Can't imagine being forced to spend the rest of my life with somebody I'm not in love with. At least she's not a perfect stranger to him since they are friends, but that's a small comfort. We've got a long way to go as far as acceptance goes... Especially in countries with deeply rooted traditions.
Yeah. Like he himself said, in the western world we have a culture where we value independence and live for ourselves whereas in China you live for your family. You must make decisions that are the best for the family, not for yourself. That's why he has to give in for the arranged marriage because it'll benefit the family, mother will get her grandchild, etc.

Younger generations don't have as strict stance towards LGBT issues as the old folk so things are changing but it's a long road.

red13th

Comiket starts only tomorrow but today I went to three different Mandarake (in Shibuya, Nakano and Ikebukuro - I was the only man in each of them lol) and bought a crapload of stuff already. Here's my current stash (NSFW I guess). Most stuff I already had in some form (Kinniku Otoko, for instance, are for historic value only) and I'm not even remotely close to done yet :(
With the Chris x Yashiro book I now have, in some form, everything I know Shoutaroh Kojima has published.

daripad

Well, my experience is almost none, I have just come out to 5 friends and 3 of them reacted that way at first and had to explain everything. Only one is still in denial but he had rejected me the first time I came out to him so I guess he is just against homosexuality. At least he still talks to me as he has always done, things haven't changed and I'm glad for that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The people I hung out with in high school, who are my only real contacts these days, were fairly liberal. There's at least one gay guy, one bi guy (me), one queer... person (I forget their identifying gender, it was some silly thing). No one bats an eye.

My experience is far from typical, however, I'll admit that much.

Must've been nice, Haly.

I didn't have any gay friends in high school. All the gay people in my school were too caught up with their lives to be my friend. I was just happy to have my small little pack of friends that I did have but that's always been how I've survived in school.

Though thankfully that's starting to change now that I'm in college and have more people to talk to. :)

Well, thanks to all for the supportive words and advice. To go on some more specific aspects:
If the chance of getting the college funds are high enough, it might still be reasonable to appease your parents because then you would probably be away from them soon and once you're out of their home, your life will be so much better anyway
Admittedly the chance is rather slim, but given that there are only three weeks until I'll be leaving for university and living in the city (one way or another), and I've already had eighteen years living here, it's a rather negligible length of time and worth the potential for the substantial reward. Given that the university is, as mentioned, in a different city, I'll be away from them for a substantial period of time if I can go.

Do you even have any relatives at all that may be able to help for a short while, or friends? I guess you'll have to find a more stable job first, then a place to live, and finally maintain a good balance.
I care about three close adults; my childhood carer Isa, my maternal grandmother Alice, and my aunt Deirdre. Isa is very unlikely to be able to offer a place, Alice would likely unite with my mother, and Deirdre is the most probable relative to help but she would be aware that defying my parents would eliminate the tenuous relationship they already have (as my aunt, too, shares my views on my parents and is not fond of them). Friends are not a possibility, all are in a similar position with regard to university and simply wouldn't be able to. If I end up having to go alone I'll likely move to Dublin (where the university I intend to go is) given that there's far greater job prospects than where I currently am.

May I ask how old you are? You need to get out of that toxic environment ASAP, even if that means you won't be able to afford uni for the time being, your mental health is much more important. Seriously, get out and remove all ties, nothing good will ever come out of this ''relationship'' with them.
I'm eighteen, and while I agree that it's likely the most beneficial option mental health-wise to simply leave as is, whatever happens, I will end up doing all I can to immediately go to university. If necessary, I will try and seek assistance from my grandmother and aunt, and if that fails, I have already researched student loans and will try to acquire one if possible. While admittedly it puts a sizeable risk of a very large amount of debt, and thus is not the safest option (which is simply leaving, moving, and trying to secure a job before my money runs out, with the hope of eventually saving to go), I am very much willing to take the risk. There is, and never will be, a relationship (whether I can get them to pay or not), but with only three weeks to go it's very worthwhile to make an effort to get them to do so.

EDIT:
Yep, me neither.

This is terrible for everybody involved honestly. I assume it wouldn't be possible for the Chinese friend and his friend (soon-to-be-wife) to have their marriage be a marriage in name-only with the goal of getting it annulled (or if that's not possible, divorce) at a later date?

Grizzo

The One Who Knocks, I hope things will get better for you. No matter the situation, please don't give up. Try to figure something out by exhausting every possibilities and look up to the bright future that lies ahead of you.

I know it's easier said than done, but in any case, I'm rooting for you.

You can do it :)

Grakl

Good luck, The One Who Knocks.

The people I hung out with in high school, who are my only real contacts these days, were fairly liberal. There's at least one gay guy, one bi guy (me), one queer... person (I forget their identifying gender, it was some silly thing). No one bats an eye.

My experience is far from typical, however, I'll admit that much.

I didn't even realize I was gay when I was in high school, hah.

Good morning my dear friends <3 I've missed you guys :3. Sorry I've been MIA for the last few days o__o!

The One Who Knocks, I'm really sorry about your situation :(. GayGAF is always here for you.. I hope you know that <3

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I didn't even realize I was gay when I was in high school, hah.

I didn't realize I was bi either back then either! But one of my close friends came out to me as gay around 8th-9th grade (apparently I was informed first), and I was like "okay brah, it's no big".

I wish my experience was the norm, rather than the outlier.

I'm eighteen, and while I agree that it's likely the most beneficial option mental health-wise to simply leave as is, whatever happens, I will end up doing all I can to immediately go to university. If necessary, I will try and seek assistance from my grandmother and aunt, and if that fails, I have already researched student loans and will try to acquire one if possible. While admittedly it puts a sizeable risk of a very large amount of debt, and thus is not the safest option (which is simply leaving, moving, and trying to secure a job before my money runs out, with the hope of eventually saving to go), I am very much willing to take the risk. There is, and never will be, a relationship (whether I can get them to pay or not), but with only three weeks to go it's very worthwhile to make an effort to get them to do so.

You're very young, I'd say a stable home and income, as well as completely cutting ties with them, is more important than uni at the moment. If they pay for uni you'll still need to deal with them, only do that if you feel you can deal with their bullshit. I'm 25 and just now starting uni in 2/3 weeks, there's no need to rush things.
What are you going to study? A student debt is not that bad depending on what you're going to study, as long as you can get a job afterwards you'll pay it back easily.

Good morning my dear friends <3 I've missed you guys :3. Sorry I've been MIA for the last few days o__o!

The One Who Knocks, I'm really sorry about your situation :(. GayGAF is always here for you.. I hope you know that <3

I listened to your Let it Go vid, you're very talented!

Grakl

I didn't realize I was bi either back then either! But one of my close friends came out to me as gay around 8th-9th grade (apparently I was informed first), and I was like "okay brah, it's no big".

I wish my experience was the norm, rather than the outlier.

Yup, it should be the norm. I got asked out by a guy in eighth grade. It was especially weird since I wouldnt've minded but all my friends were like "You're not gay!" Pretty funny.

Caladrius

7th grade was when I knew
8th grade was when I accepted it. And then a bunch of weird angsty shit happened.

Well, thanks to all for the supportive words and advice. To go on some more specific aspects:

Admittedly the chance is rather slim, but given that there are only three weeks until I'll be leaving for university and living in the city (one way or another), and I've already had eighteen years living here, it's a rather negligible length of time and worth the potential for the substantial reward. Given that the university is, as mentioned, in a different city, I'll be away from them for a substantial period of time if I can go.

I care about three close adults; my childhood carer Isa, my maternal grandmother Alice, and my aunt Deirdre. Isa is very unlikely to be able to offer a place, Alice would likely unite with my mother, and Deirdre is the most probable relative to help but she would be aware that defying my parents would eliminate the tenuous relationship they already have (as my aunt, too, shares my views on my parents and is not fond of them). Friends are not a possibility, all are in a similar position with regard to university and simply wouldn't be able to. If I end up having to go alone I'll likely move to Dublin (where the university I intend to go is) given that there's far greater job prospects than where I currently am.

EDIT:

This is terrible for everybody involved honestly. I assume it wouldn't be possible for the Chinese friend and his friend (soon-to-be-wife) to have their marriage be a marriage in name-only with the goal of getting it annulled (or if that's not possible, divorce) at a later date?

It seems you have a handful of avenues, at least. I unfortunately have little advice to offer. The only thing I can really say is to err on the side of caution, and whatever course of action you take, plan far ahead (as in you need to decide on a major and start looking at potential internship outlets by the start of the 2nd semester. That's admittedly a tall order, but meandering for too long isn't going to do anything but hurt you. I've learned that the hard way) and start working toward it aggressively. The sooner you focus your efforts, the more smooth and rapid the transition out of your household is going to be.

Divorce is extremely rare there, and I imagine it would end up screwing over the bride severely.

There's a distinction between having legitimate or valid reasons for feeling the way that you do (which, of course, you do) and legitimizing that perspective as something to carry on into the future. It's about whether you desire to change or not that's important, and not so much about whether you feel change is particularly possible. The latter is something that you should never actively think about, when you're in the midst of a problem, because you can't rely on yourself to foresee that outcome yet.

I have some degree of avoidant personality disorder. I'm paradoxically a rather social person, so how I run into problems with that is I'm sure a bit different than the problems you face. But what I do know is that problems are almost never simple. They're seemingly always complex, comorbid with a bunch of other problems or factors (for me, anxiety and atypical depression with some hypomania/bipolar characteristics), feeding off each other, and as a whole they seem like some kind of impossible Gordian Knot. But like a Gordian Knot, often if you change your perspective, 'undoing' it becomes far simpler than you realize.

I don't know how much it matters exactly what you do. Therapy is a good place to start, I've been resolving my problems with meditation and self-applied neurofeedback, strangely enough. There are a lot of approaches you can take, which start to pay off once you find yourself knee deep in them. But if you do want to change, you don't start worrying about that just yet, you focus on maintaining that conviction in spite of how silly it feels.

Part of me does want to change that. The scary part for me is really having to fully come to terms with loss. As someone who doesn't really have anything of permanence (that isn't one of my questionably-sane and untrustworthy parents or a material possession of some sort) it's intimidating to me to face the fact that it may always be like that.

I've been to therapy before. It was somewhat helpful. I took too long to start opening up before I made any substantial progress though. It was a decent guidepost in telling me where to go, though I didn't know how to facilitate the changes that needed to be made, so things haven't advanced past that point. I think I may start going again once we move.

Y'all had openly gay people in your schools? How progressive. Two people came out a while after graduation, though (whom I had already suspected, but then they proceeded to date the same girl in different instances). I've known since I was 12, but I can't say it has done me any good; I'd rather have found out recently instead.

LOCK

I just found out that I didn't get my job contract renewed because of low enrollment. I'm currently an adjunct professor at a university. First time in six years. :/

I'm now jobless for at least a semester. This sucks.

Grakl

Y'all had openly gay people in your schools? How progressive. Two people came out a while after graduation, though (whom I had already suspected, but then they proceeded to date the same girl in different instances). I've known since I was 12, but I can't say it has done me any good; I'd rather have found out recently instead.
My realization and coming out last year happened because of Lucario here, and I immediately starting dating him lol

Grizzo

yeah there were gay people in my high school but nobody really made too much of a fuss about it. I just mostly kept it to myself, didn't start hitting up on guys until college
even though I gave my first blowjob at summer camp when I was 13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom