• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBThread |OT4| We're (still) Here! We're (still) Queer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's not because of Western religions hating the gay that makes me not want to date a religious man. I just want my better half to have the same outlook on life that I do. For example I doubt I could date somebody who leaned right wing. There was a time in my relationship that I thought my bf believed in trickle down economics and it was seriously going to be a problem for me. Politics and Religion serious business y'all

Oh, I'm not singling you out for that or anything. So don't misunderstand. I'm just mindblown at the amount of people that go "oh well you can't be gay and religious" as if they are mutually exclusive.

Caladrius

My family is all over the place with their faith. My mother is some kind of non-denominational Christian (even she doesn't know herself), my sister is either a Christian or an Agnostic pretending to be one (she's made contradictory statements that lead me to believe the latter), my father's either an Atheist or a non-practicing Christian and I'm a Deist.

Deviating from the topic at hand, I just put on some knee highs that I own for reasons that I haven't worn since high school. I forgot how nice these feel...

High socks are wonderful. I wish I had more of them.

Casanova

I just came out to my best-friend today.

"Insert Staples button sound here"

He was just like, "okay, man, I was pretty sure you were anyway - Wanna go play some Galaga over there on that old arcade machine?!"

Today was a great day.

Sai-kun

Banned
Also yeah, post pics
emot-allears.gif

Bladenic

He was just like, "okay, man, I was pretty sure you were anyway - Wanna go play some Galaga over there on that old arcade machine?!"

Today was a great day.

That's awesome! Good for you.

Hey everyone! :] I just got approved today, so I'm not a lurker anymore. I just kinda thought I'd introduce myself and say hi, and that it's nice to meet everyone! :] <3

Wahh! Like 200 shades of red, but I'll just post one. I don't want to disobey the rules on the first page of the thread :] Here goes o_o

ktACLnG.jpg

I also hope it was a serious request because I'm shy and I'll also look like an idiot if it wasn't HAHA

Thanks!! I'm gay! :)

Oh boy, I foresee numerous thirst-responses.

h8vHXn5.gif

Bladenic

Wahh! Like 200 shades of red, but I'll just post one. I don't want to disobey the rules on the first page of the thread :] Here goes o_o

ktACLnG.jpg

I also hope it was a serious request because I'm shy and I'll also look like an idiot if it wasn't HAHA

Thanks!! I'm gay! :)

Are you a model?

Today was a great day.

The bigger question was where were you that they had a Galaga machine?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Generalized/independent baptist -- not to be confused with Southern or fundamentalist baptist, heh.

The practices of Catholicism have always felt wildly separate from the Christianity I grew up with.

I see. I too was raised by Christians who didn't consider Catholics to be Christian, so it's not a strange notion to me, but apparently you'd get laughed out of the room if you said something like that to a regular person.

Awesome to hear!

Nice avvy, boo

Bailey 87

Nah I know who Omanyte is. I was just being silly is all :p

I bet you and Graham are big on St. Patrick's Day though, eh? :D

We celebrated St. Patricks day for the first time last year. Well we celebrated the day before. My mom came down to visit us in Dublin and we got so drunk that we couldn't make it to the parade due to a hangover...good times.

ibpKNzk3oXpQat.gif

Christopher

Rofl this gif will never get old.

Oh god you're holding me accountable? Lol now I have to go and report back!

There's a LesMills Bodypump class on Sunday I'm actually planning to go to. The hours during the week for the classes are kinda tough so I've been going and working out on my own on weekdays. :p

Go for me please at least to four classes before you quit I promise you'll love it you need about 4/5 to notice soemthing. Eat right and have the posters here oogle you. Yoy can do it.

Mumei

Hey everyone! :] I just got approved today, so I'm not a lurker anymore. I just kinda thought I'd introduce myself and say hi, and that it's nice to meet everyone! :] <3

Welcome~

I think it's both parts biological predisposition and psychological consequence.

I'm not sure there's much concrete evidence to support the idea that it is partly the result of post-natal experiences; I think it's more that there are a number of physiological factors (genetic and pre-natal environmental) that can affect sexuality, and the reason why you don't see any particular idea fitting every gay man is because the 'inputs' are too complicated to reduce to "X causes homosexuality."

I'm also skeptical about psychological explanations because too many of them are either a) fodder for reparative therapy pseudo-Freudian nonsense, or b) explained just as well by biological interpretations.

mantidor

I'm not sure there's much concrete evidence to support the idea that it is partly the result of post-natal experiences; I think it's more that there are a number of physiological factors (genetic and pre-natal environmental) that can affect sexuality, and the reason why you don't see any particular idea fitting every gay man is because the 'inputs' are too complicated to reduce to "X causes homosexuality."

I'm also skeptical about psychological explanations because too many of them are either a) fodder for reparative therapy pseudo-Freudian nonsense, or b) explained just as well by biological interpretations.

Sexuality is so very complex in its simplicity heh.

I don't believe you can be "born" with it because sexuality is fundamentally a social experience, so you need a society to express it, if you are around no one at all how can you be attracted or form "types you like" in your brain or stuff like that? It would be fascinating to read studies of sexuality in feral children but I guess it's the last thing in people's minds when they are found for obvious reasons.

Casanova

The bigger question was where were you that they had a Galaga machine?

This brick-oven pizza joint in Biltmore, NC.

Sexuality is so very complex in its simplicity heh.

I don't believe you can be "born" with it because sexuality is fundamentally a social experience, so you need a society to express it, if you are around no one at all how can you be attracted or form "types you like" in your brain or stuff like that? It would be fascinating to read studies of sexuality in feral children but I guess it's the last thing in people's minds when they are found for obvious reasons.

The only real, consistent evidence that I know of involves pre-birth hormonal levels when you are a fetus - so really, as far as I've seen, sexuality is all born qualities.

I've read some really interesting stuff that suggest that the more older male siblings you have, the chances of you being homosexual increases by 30% for each older male sibling - and the stats are surprisingly accurate - something something the female body naturally rejects an amount of male developmental hormones during pregnancy, and becomes better at rejecting them the more sons she has, because the research was only consistent in male children.. This suggests that the mother's hormone levels play a huge role in determining the sexuality potential of a child, though it has not exactly been pinpointed yet - figures just back this theory, exponentially.

Take my words with a grain of salt, it's been a year or so since this college class where I read up on this subject. If I wasn't busy getting ready for school, I would find the link. But you know how to use google, I'm sure you can find it.

Ahasverus

Well I'm the first born. Lol.

And welcome to our new artist member, hope you stick around :D
there's no escape from gaf, only death

RM8

I don't want to argue against science and facts, but nurture would involve some kind of event(s) that trigger it, and somehow they haven't been identified? Not to mention, there are far more cases of kids growing up in the same environment as their straight brothers, which would challenge the nurture argument as much as the twins thing challenges the biological argument, doesn't it? (not to mention, I swear I read somewhere that twins are far more likely to share orientation than regular brothers anyway :p will look for a source!).

I'm going to say, I don't think it's social by any means. We're not the only mammals where diverse sexuality is a thing, and somehow I doubt gay giraffes are just expressing themselves in society.

Rayis

I have no idea what thirst-responses means o_o LOL!

Gosh no! I don't have the body for that :p.
I am a singer, though..That photo was taken for a local music magazine in my city :]!
OMG

hi there! *waves*

please serenade me with your beautiful voice~ and welcome to GAF.

mantidor

Welcome! glad you found the thread in the forgotten depths of the OT community :p I hope you aren't the only one.

I'm going to say, I don't think it's social by any means. We're not the only mammals where diverse sexuality is a thing, and somehow I doubt gay giraffes are just expressing themselves in society.

Oh I forgot about animals, that makes things even more complicated!

While I was very surprised how common homosexuality is in nature at first, specially because of how hidden and underreported is, the more I read about it, the more I think homosexual animal behavior can be misleading when describing our own. I wouldn't called giraffes engaging in homosexuales behavior "gay" because it's very simplistic. To start sex for pleasure isn't that common in nature, "gay" is at the end of the day a social construct. Take bonobos, primates really famous for their almost universal bisexuality, but they also engage in sex with infants, are they pedophiles? I don't know, it's not that simple.

OMG

hi there! *waves*

please serenade me with your beautiful voice~ and welcome to GAF.

Hahah hello!!! Umm I don't really know how possible that is over the internet LOL! I do have a YouTube channel though! O_O. That might be as close as it gets! Haha!

Welcome! glad you found the thread in the forgotten depths of the OT community :p I hope you aren't the only one.
Thanks!! I really appreciate that :) it wasn't that hard to find haha! Although I am still getting used to navigating around..

alvmew

Today was a great day.

Congrats! Always nice when it turns out that way. :)

Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom