• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
lmao don't say 'skeletons'

that's literally a stupid thing to say

ps. heads up that characters don't need any justification to be a certain way. just like in real life, people are the way they are. the way they DEVELOP may be shit, and that's definitely not what anyone wants, but to say that the mere existence of a character requires justification is dumb, sorry.

esms

It's really not though :p

Yeah, I just saw Hippie's post on the last page.

A lot of straight people simply "don't see" any subtext or even text between two characters of the same gender. probably because they are conditioned to not see it.
They don't look for signs of a relationship/feelings. They'll see any intimacy as just very close friends, as was the case of Legend of Korra and The Last of Us.

Straight relationships in media are generally very obvious with no subtlety or subtext required, if ones a male and ones a female, they'll probably fuck or fall in love, so straight people usually don't need to work very hard to see a relationship, it's expected and incredibly likely.

Meanwhile us gays are looking for all the signs and subtexts and whatever, and that's usually all we get, subtext.

The funny thing is I'm straight and I still noticed the sexual tension and obvious history. Funnier yet, I was playing it with my GF and when we got to the kiss scene, the reaction was complete opposites.

Her: "Whaaaaat? Didn't see that coming."
Me: "I was wondering when they were gonna do that."

I definitely agree that proliferation of straight relationships in media leads many to think about same sex relationships in nonsexual, platonic ways and disregard or ignore subtext in perceived same sex friendships. I think I'm just partial to subtext. I enjoy some sense of subtlety to media portrayals of relationships, gay or straight.

Perhaps I'm an anomaly in my thinking.

Then again, we've still not had a single major LGBT-character in any mainline Disney animated feature (the shopkeeper in Frozen doesn't count), so I'm not too surprised that they won't do anything in the MCU either.

We still have that jock kid from ParaNormsn to cherish at least. :(

I definitely agree that proliferation of straight relationships in media leads many to think about same sex relationships in nonsexual, platonic ways and disregard or ignore subtext in perceived same sex friendships. I think I'm just partial to subtext. I enjoy some sense of subtlety to media portrayals of relationships, gay or straight.

Perhaps I'm an anomaly in my thinking.

Pretty sure you're right tbh.

It could also be because guys (from any orientation) are known to be horny dogs. There's a reason why there's so many gay hook-ups apps, compared to straight or lesbian ones. :$

mantidor

sjws? Please tell me that you use that term ironically, gamergate and its offspring has made me completely unable to tell when people are using it in earnest or not.

I'm half joking :p

But you are right we have different expectations from stories in games, maybe I've been so burned down by how bad they are I've given up on finding a good one, and since I avoid AAA games I might have even missed some good ones, but experience taught me it can be really bad and I became jaded. A Mortal Combat character being gay does not give me hope for a good character at all, neither does it make me to want to play MK again after all these years of leaving the franchise behind. But if it makes people happy I'm not going to be mad about it.

Xaltheron

lol the double standards of gaming continues on I see.
Seriously, how many Youtube videos are there of scantily clad videogame girls with bouncing boobs and they're allowed just fine, but Projared's Top Ten Dicks in Gaming video apparently has content that is designed to "harass, bully or threaten"? >_>
(ironically, this was the censored version)
f99016f062.png

Kevyt

Seriously, how many Youtube videos are there of scantily clad videogame girls with bouncing boobs and they're allowed just fine, but Projared's Top Ten Dicks in Gaming video apparently has content that is designed to "harass, bully or threaten"? >_>

I watched the video that you linked first, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYtc4P_a-Y

But I didn't know there was a censored version. o:

Xaltheron

I watched the video that you linked first, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYtc4P_a-Y

But I didn't know there was a censored version. o:

That's what especially baffles me, I could sort of understand it if that version was removed, but there really shouldn't be anything wrong with the censored version.

And even then, if it was removed for "sexual content" or something like that it would make more sense, but I'm at a total loss as to how it harasses, bullies or threatens anyone.

Razmos

That's what especially baffles me, I could sort of understand it if that version was removed, but there really shouldn't be anything wrong with the censored version.

And even then, if it was removed for "sexual content" or something like that it would make more sense, but I'm at a total loss as to how it harasses, bullies or threatens anyone.
Because it was probably flagged by closeted self-hating 'straight' guys who clicked on the video expecting boobs and got slapped in the face by dicks.

Jezan

The only Marvel LGBT characters I could think of that have a chance to appear on screen are the Runaways. My big favorites, Wiccan and Hulkling, are too tied up in the history of the Avengers that doesn't exist in the movies yet. The rest like Anole, Colossus from the Ultimate universe, Northstar, Rictor, and Shatterstar are tied up in the X-Men franchise.

Considering Marvel superheroes have decades of history with romantic interests attached to each, changing a major character's sexual identity for the movie is a bit tricky. Unless there is a basis for it in the main comic universe or the "Ultimate" comic universe, I predict backlash from a large chunk of hardcore comic readers as well as the usual suspects.
The Runaways is so good that Marvel will probably never bring it to the big screen because they won't know how to do it properly (and without being safe in a Marvel way). There is no way we are getting Young Avengers though (so no Wiccan and Hulking) for a long long time.
As long as things like this happen I will keep using shirtless Shulk and male WFT in Smash, even though I prefer Sharla's colors for Shulk. Nothing like beating someone online and the camera zooming in on the abs (or the Trainer's ass)

KmA

I'm half joking :p

But you are right we have different expectations from stories in games, maybe I've been so burned down by how bad they are I've given up on finding a good one, and since I avoid AAA games I might have even missed some good ones, but experience taught me it can be really bad and I became jaded. A Mortal Combat character being gay does not give me hope for a good character at all, neither does it make me to want to play MK again after all these years of leaving the franchise behind. But if it makes people happy I'm not going to be mad about it.

I get where your coming from. If they do represent a minority, they better represent them well right?

The thing is heteronormativity is thrown in our faces regardless or not if it represented well. It is everywhere and pervasive. So if Space Shooter XX has an Asian lead character and Shitty Fighter 3.14 has a gay cast member this normalizes their status. We can't expect perfect representation every time for video games because they all do their stories differently. The point is to make this inclusion normal.

esms

Pretty sure you're right tbh.

It could also be because guys (from any orientation) are known to be horny dogs. There's a reason why there's so many gay hook-ups apps, compared to straight or lesbian ones. :$

Yes, the stereotype of the blunt, horny man in media literally erases the need for subtext.

You keeping a tally of the gay hookup apps bro?

Xaltheron

Because it was probably flagged by closeted self-hating 'straight' guys who clicked on the video expecting boobs and got slapped in the face by dicks.

True, and that means either Youtube agrees with them or they're content to allow people to abuse the flagging system, both of which are disappointing situations.
As long as things like this happen I will keep using shirtless Shulk and male WFT in Smash, even though I prefer Sharla's colors for Shulk. Nothing like beating someone online and the camera zooming in on the abs (or the Trainer's ass)

d(^_^).... or is that (y)? Eh sod it, I prefer the Kirby thumbs up, I still can't make head nor tail of (y).

Kinsei

Banned
True, and that means either Youtube agrees with them or they're content to allow people to abuse the flagging system, both of which are disappointing situations.

d(^_^).... or is that (y)? Eh sod it, I prefer the Kirby thumbs up, I still can't make head nor tail of (y).

It's the latter. The video should be back up within 30 days if Jared disputed the flag.

My friend basically revealed himself as one of those fucking obnoxious "I'm so above it all because I always take the middle ground on every fucking social issue ever" twat. Now I have no patience for anything he says.

edit: He also tried to tell me that before Gyarados got a Mega he had shit typing and so was hardly ever used... yeah the monster that's been OU in every fucking generation was "hardly used." Moron. Flying typing gave him resistance to fighting and immunity to ground. And then he resisted tons of types. He at best had a barely relevant weakness to electricity which could be easily covered, and a weakness to rock.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anyone talked to SpaceBridge recently? I'm kinda worried about him.

DOWN

Banned
Except Neil Druckmanm confirmed it, and so did the actress that played Ellie (I can't remember her name right now).

Edit: Ashley Johnson.

I guess it's up for interpretation. I took their background to signify a relationship, especially in the context of the plot.
Yeah, that all came up but they turned it into art being open for interpretation so those "opinions" don't matter to the audience and that they don't like trying to make those "opinions" into a solid piece of the characters so to them it is still officially "friend kiss" because that's their "opinion."

Kinsei

Banned
In case anyone was wondering, that character is indeed gay. What's nice is a god straight up tells him that they don't care who you're attracted to.

I never thought the day would come when I'd consider MK progressive.

DOWN

Banned
He's been going through a rough time apparently but I haven't spoken to him in months. I'm really worried.
Has he? I remember he had been dating someone new when we switched over to OT6 and we lost a bunch of people not long after the switch.

Alrus

After both the Olivia Munn and the Berzeli thread, I'm just going to assume that people are just really stupid when it comes to Marvel properties being adapted to film. (on top of the weird corporate fanboyism going around any comic book movie thread).

WonderzL

Banned
I agree that people are pretty dumb to not realize that Korra and Asami are indeed a couple, but the argument that the writers said so isn't very good. We should debate the art before the artist, etc. A piece of art isn't complete when it's finished, only when someone is there to appreciate and interpret it.

Edit: I'm also pretty dumb because I though you were talking about Korra. My point still stands!

Kevyt

Grrrr.... I have my suspicions on this guy and this other guy. I think they're a couple. Or probably they're friends. I don't know. Was having a nice conversation with this guy when his friend (?) came over and said to him "let's go" and the conversation ended abruptly. Damn it... ;_;

scarlet

He doesn't. :p And yes it would be.

I'd ask him why he was using those sites and give him a chance to explain. I can't really imagine an answer that wouldn't be cause for alarm though.

Brofist

"the pictures on there give me a boner"

It gives me vitamin Dick

Some guys use those apps for friends and stuff but... yeah,it's pretty rare. Would be a dealbreaker for me for sure.

There are better ways to find friends than an app thats meant for fucking.

This. Seriously, searching friends on grindr? Uuugh

Kevyt

At the gym? oooh la la

Yup. The other guy is a rat-gym. I swear he lives there.

When your bf using gay apps (grindr, scruff, growlr, etc) while dating exclusively. Is it a deal breaker for you?

Some guys use those apps for friends and stuff but... yeah,it's pretty rare. Would be a dealbreaker for me for sure.

There are better ways to find friends than an app thats meant for fucking.

Pretty much. Why would you go to dating apps meant for casual sex to find friends? Fuckbuddies? maybe... lol.

----------

Cheesus... that Marvel thread of yours berzeli.

I can't... ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom