• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ :)OT6(: We’re taking over -- first the alphabet, then the world!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
My beloved brothers and sisters, what's the secret for "successfully dating"?

A great ride.
xULlaqr.gif

Kevyt

The more people you meet, the more practice you'll get, and eventually you won't be so socially awkward!

I'm gonna start greeting and complimenting people. Let's see where this takes me.

Been using okcupid for a few months now. Most conversations just drag on (especially with females, it just never goes anywhere) or devolves into inappropriateness (more often then not its guys, or they get super clingy suddenly)

Not gonna stop trying

I could use one of the thos. Haven't got lucky in years.

And I agree with this too.

Don't give up. Also, you could make someone get lucky! :)

A great ride.
xULlaqr.gif

Are you a good driver?

RM8

It was a bittersweet night tonight :/ I went out with a group of friends I hadn't seen in ages. We're not very close, but it was very fun and we all had a great time. At one point, though, one of them said something pretty nasty about a lesbian couple sitting next to us. They were kissing non-stop, but that's hardly relevant since I doubt he would have said anything if they had been a straight couple. Then he joked about him being okay with them when they're attractive, pretty standard homophobia. It really ruined the mood for me for a while :( When we were leaving he told me "it was great to see you again!"... and I would have thought the same if he hadn't been a jerk.

One of the absolute worst aspects of not being straight is when someone you appreciate turns out like this. Because otherwise they can be nice people, even good friends worth having... just profoundly ignorant and unaware that they could be insulting someone who is present. Bleeeh.

terrisus

If it helps any, even being straight, many straight people can come across as jerks/creeps/insulting/belittling as well.
Not to minimize or anything. But still, I quite often have that feeling.

RM8

Yeah, I guess that's right. What bothers me is that I don't think he's a bad person, he's really not :/ People are not black and white, I guess...

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
It was a bittersweet night tonight :/ I went out with a group of friends I hadn't seen in ages. We're not very close, but it was very fun and we all had a great time. At one point, though, one of them said something pretty nasty about a lesbian couple sitting next to us. They were kissing non-stop, but that's hardly relevant since I doubt he would have said anything if they had been a straight couple. Then he joked about him being okay with them when they're attractive, pretty standard homophobia. It really ruined the mood for me for a while :( When we were leaving he told me "it was great to see you again!"... and I would have thought the same if he hadn't been a jerk.

One of the absolute worst aspects of not being straight is when someone you appreciate turns out like this. Because otherwise they can be nice people, even good friends worth having... just profoundly ignorant and unaware that they could be insulting someone who is present. Bleeeh.

Lo siento.

That always sucks yeah. Does he know you're gay though?

Jezan

Yeah, I guess that's right. What bothers me is that I don't think he's a bad person, he's really not :/ People are not black and white, I guess...
But when someone says something like that, it doesn't matter if they are a good person, it is disappointing anyway. :(

RM8

Lo siento.

That always sucks yeah. Does he know you're gay though?
Nope. I used to be close-ish to this group of friends, particularly with this guy, but we eventually drifted apart. So no, I'm not out to them.

But when someone says something like that, it doesn't matter if they are a good person, it is disappointing anyway. :(
For real :( It feels so weird. You know this person is saying awful, disgusting things, yet you know they're coming from an otherwise decent person.

He eventually backpedaled a bit saying he's okay with gay people, but that they shouldn't be kissing in front of children and stuff. Again, standard homophobia.

Golnei

It's almost worse that way - if you've been able to dismiss someone completely for whatever reason, it's easier to just group their opinions in with background noise; but seeing someone you like and mostly respect display that amount of malevolent ignorance has much more of an impact.

terrisus

Yeah, I definitely hear where you're coming from.
I guess I just kind of assume that many people are creepy/jerks, and try not to think too much about it >.>

It's almost worse that way - if you've been able to dismiss someone completely for whatever reason, it's easier to just group their opinions in with background noise; but seeing someone you like and mostly respect display that amount of malevolent ignorance has much more of an impact.
Yeah. It's pretty crushing actually.

RM8

Yup, it is worse indeed. We can more easily not care about some random jerk being hateful, but someone you appreciate being hateful towards people who are like you, that's quite rough.

Yeah, I definitely hear where you're coming from.
I guess I just kind of assume that many people are creepy/jerks, and try not to think too much about it >.>
It's true, it's just not the concept I had about him before today :/ And it makes me wonder, would he be this hateful if he'd know I'm part of the group he's bashing? Could it be my fault to some degree for not being out to them, and not correcting this guy's views? :(

terrisus

It's true, it's just not the concept I had about him before today :/

Again, I don't want to minimize it or discount it, I know it's definitely a big issue. So I apologize if I came across that way.

And it makes me wonder, would he be this hateful if he'd know I'm part of the group he's bashing? Could it be my fault to some degree for not being out to them, and not correcting this guy's views? :(

That shouldn't have to be your responsibility, please don't feel at fault at all for someone else being a jerk =(

Kaiser_Glider

Neo Member
Nope. I used to be close-ish to this group of friends, particularly with this guy, but we eventually drifted apart. So no, I'm not out to them.

You think he would've avoided saying things like those if he knew you were gay? Normally people change their views on stuff like this when they're close or know someone... most of the time.

But either way, it's always horrible, hurtful and offensive when people you care about do and say things like this. Like real bad. But don't think too much about it I guess.

Jezan

Yup, it is worse indeed. We can more easily not care about some random jerk being hateful, but someone you appreciate being hateful towards people who are like you, that's quite rough.

It's true, it's just not the concept I had about him before today :/ And it makes me wonder, would he be this hateful if he'd know I'm part of the group he's bashing? Could it be my fault to some degree for not being out to them, and not correcting this guy's views? :(
He wouldn't be hateful if you were out to them. But it's not your fault nor your obligation to be out to them. He is ignorant, but people don't like being ignorant, they would change their point of view and hateful remarks if they knew a friend was gay. But then agian, you don't have to, it's not your fault.

gin tha best. juniper n shit.

straight people can be really shitty. It's a weird thing though, like I know I'm shitty in a lot of ways as a white dude. Feelings of impunity combined with judgment of your fellow human beings results in some real ugliness.

RM8

This is when I understand why some gay people prefer to have mostly / only gay friends :/ It's a bit unfair because it's not like I've decided to be surrounded by straight guys, it just has turned out that way for different reasons. And to be fair, my actual close friends are pretty awesome.

I never let stuff like this get to me, but it really caught me off guard. I was having a great time with people I appreciate, and I was genuinely glad to see them again.

This is when I understand why some gay people prefer to have mostly / only gay friends :/ It's a bit unfair because it's not like I've decided to be surrounded by straight guys, it just has turned out that way for different reasons. And to be fair, my actual close friends are pretty awesome.

Take solace in that, I guess? :( Maybe we should have sympathy for some people, because there are some colors they can't see. They wouldn't act that way if they 'got it'.

Jezan

I was somewhere but that's over now. Thank you btw for answering my general summons.
Don't worry, I think drunk people should have company always, drinking is an art.

I would be drunk too, but class tomorrow and I know I won't wake up if I drink a little. Can't control myself, whoops (actually I can, but don't like to do it, if someone says party I expect it to last till 5 am and with nice music)

Don't worry, I think drunk people should have company always, drinking is an art.

I would be drunk too, but class tomorrow and I know I won't wake up if I drink a little. Can't control myself, whoops (actually I can, but don't like to do it, if someone says party I expect it to last till 5 am and with nice music)

I am at the fingerpainting stage. Actually some people do some amazing shit with fingerpainting, so I wish.

What day is it where you are (you have class on Saturday?) Do you have midterms and shit coming up? That's why I'm drunk. Positive coping strategies.

Jezan

I am at the fingerpainting stage. Actually some people do some amazing shit with fingerpainting, so I wish.

What day is it where you are (you have class on Saturday?) Do you have midterms and shit coming up? That's why I'm drunk. Positive coping strategies.
Saturday 1am. No midterms yet, but classes on saturday are overkill. In a normal saturday I would be asleep all day ( and maybe homework) but I stopped having "normal" saturdays a long time ago.

Also "fingerpaint a Picasso" levels of drunk or it doesn't count! Don't do that

Saturday 1am. No midterms yet, but classes on saturday are overkill. In a normal saturday I would be asleep all day ( and maybe homework) but I stopped having "normal" saturdays a long time ago.

Also "fingerpaint a Picasso" levels of drunk or it doesn't count! Don't do that

1 am what kind of school do you go to. The only thing I could study at that hour is debauchery, like Greek tragedies or something. Drama.

Sleeping on Saturdays is the best. Do you have like a six days on schedule? How do you recoup?

I always fantasize about just spontaneously being really good at things. Maybe this is it!

Jezan

1 am what kind of school do you go to. The only thing I could study at that hour is debauchery, like Greek tragedies or something. Drama.

Sleeping on Saturdays is the best. Do you have like a six days on schedule? How do you recoup?

I always fantasize about just spontaneously being really good at things. Maybe this is it!
lol no, I mean right now its 1am, school at 8am.

6 days of activities. It's a long story how I ended like this :p , but that's between job and school. Sometimes I have to work weekends too (depends if there are projects that we have to take to the plant and random stuff like the boss being lazy).

That fantasy about being good at everything is the best/worst motivation ever!

lol no, I mean right now its 1am, school at 8am.

6 days of activities. It's a long story how I ended like this :p , but that's between job and school. Sometimes I have to work weekends too (depends if there are projects that we have to take to the plant and random stuff like the boss being lazy).

That fantasy about being good at everything is the best/worst motivation ever!

What are you studying? What do you do? It's nice when people are able to thrive or make peace under a grueling schedule, those are the people that succeed.

It is. I want to be some kind of mentat

:p

Im a little teapot, short and stout.

Here is my handle, here is my spout...

What does that teach? Kid stuff is weird. I remember learning that "ring around the rosie" is about the black death.

Glass Swords came out like four years ago, how has it been that long.

Jezan

What are you studying? What do you do? It's nice when people are able to thrive or make peace under a grueling schedule, those are the people that succeed.

It is. I want to be some kind of mentat
I work as a project manager/planner in the heavy industry and studying for a specialization in automation. Which I believe is what I love, but somehow not my call of life (not sure though), having a hard time trying to know what I love doing forever, which leads me to take classes on random stuff, for example dancing, always saying I didn't know how to dance, because I'm always too self-aware, also because people would call me names (you know Mexico, if you do something people will hate) then <another long story which I will probably tell soon>, so I started believing that dancing was off limits. But then I realized I should do what I like (or think I like) and run with it. Also helpful that I wanna learn about everything, except cooking, I'm a terrible cook and it will be a while before anyone dares to try my food again :D

EDIT: reading that wiki like: "I'm not sleeping tonight:)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom