• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golnei

Something that really grinds my gears is the diet homophobia/transphobia in comments such as "Why does their sexuality even matter? why is this a big deal? if being gay/trans is normal why are you making such a big deal out of it?" ect ect.

I discovered in another thread that Doctor Who series 9 will have a trans actress in it, so I went and looked it up, and the article title stated that she is the first "transgender actress cast in the show", which is true.

And the comments are a whole bunch of "why does her being trans matter? Why even bring it up?" or some variation.

It's gross how casual it is that whenever LGBT people reach a milestone, no matter how small, people are so ignorant about why it is important. Is it that hard just to have a bit of empathy? christ.

It might be giving them too much credit to ascribe benign ignorance to those comments in every case - the almost pathological need to shoot down every statement like that with "why does it matter" seems more like an attempt to invalidate the presence of LGBT people entirely, while denying the existence of any ongoing prejudice. Like they'd be happier if they weren't hired in the first place, so they wouldn't have to be faced with the horror of their existence.

I want a PS4 for sure soon.

Also a Wii U only for Smash, Mario Kart, and Hyrule Warriors. Just fun party games.

I'll grant you the first two, but Hyrule Warriors is torturous in co-op.

Sibylus

Banned
Survived the weekend!
ZDsxCCG.gif

... now to survive until Friday. Six day work week, aw yiss.

B-Dex

Sony should make a splatoonesque ripoff starring cat people. Toro and the other cat can be the update news team.

Golnei

I like Rival Schools so I can't talk really.

Nagare Namikawa

Though at least there, Edayan's art and designs didn't suffer from the same interchangeable blandness of other anime fighters. A Rival Schools reboot with a generic modern anime aesthetic would be an abomination.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would never waste a sexy, French master patissier on something as mundane as cupcakes.

Golnei

Thunder Rolls is probably my favourite individual track, but all of FFXIV has had fairly strong music, Heavensward in particular. Though as much as I like Soken, it'd probably be for the best if he never sang again.

Symphonia

Banned
I'm watching Jeremy Kyle with my morning cuppa, and there's a cross dresser on there. The woman feels like she's been trapped in a man's body for too long and wants to make the change. Her son is disgusted and, by the sounds of it, so is Jeremy Kyle. He's made some extremely transphobic comments. I'm in half a mind to actually complain about it to the relevant watchdogs.

VegiHam

I'm watching Jeremy Kyle with my morning cuppa, and there's a cross dresser on there. The woman feels like she's been trapped in a man's body for too long and wants to make the change. Her son is disgusted and, by the sounds of it, so is Jeremy Kyle. He's made some extremely transphobic comments. I'm in half a mind to actually complain about it to the relevant watchdogs.

Complain.

I mean, you aren't going to get Kyle off the telly but if there's an overwhelmingly negative response they'll be quick to find some way to be seen as 'not transphobic'. Presumably with another story where the trans (or gender non conforming, or whatever they pick) person is the good guy.

This isn't the first time he's done this though.

Symphonia

Banned
Complain. I mean, you aren't going to get Kyle off the telly but if there's an overwhelmingly negative response they'll be quick to find some way to be seen as 'not transphobic'. Presumably with another story where the trans (or gender non conforming, or whatever they pick) person is the good guy.

This isn't the first time he's done this though.
I've tweeted the show already, for all the good that will do, but I will be writing an email to the television watchdogs and a seperate email to ITV. As you said, this isn't the first time he's made negative comments towards homosexual/transgender people, and I doubt it will be the last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom