• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kater

Banned
Oi, Happy Birthday, Henchi. :D

tumblr_m4v57nP04b1qhy6c9o1_500.gif

What about it bothers you so much?

Hmm I'd say what bothers me is that she slept with some guy who she knew was married. I know the argument is "hey he is the one in a committed relationship, not her" but I still find it morally wrong and no argument is really going to change my opinion of it. An alternative argument I see get made is "if it wasn't her, he would have cheated with someone else" but even if that were true I don't really find it a convincing argument. I'm not morally repulsed to break off the friendship, but if she asks for my opinion I'm not going to pretend I find it fine.

Meanwhile she implied that she has feelings for this guy. What exactly is she going to get out of this? Some dude who will divorce his wife for her and then potentially leave her the next time a new piece of fuckmeat comes by? Or will she just be his side bitch for life?

Xaltheron

IGN article about Dorian from Dragon Age: Inquisition featuring many comments from David Gaider. Beyond describing Dorian (character spoilers!), it talks a bit about the creation process of his character, as well as Bioware's history.

There are some somewhat large claims about the importance of Dorian in gaming that I enjoyed thinking about. Regarding Dorian's characterization, here's an excerpt from the article that I found interesting:

Interesting article, and I kinda agree with what he says there, I've never had a problem with gay characters having stereotypical qualities, so long as it's not done to the point that they become a comic relief character.
Ideally we'd have enough representation to reflect how it is in reality; that gay people come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Also, as always with IGN, if you like to keep your brain cells intact steer well clear of the comments.

And happy birthday Henchmen!

Thanks again everyone for the bday wishes.

Also Corn it will probably be the later. Most men like that rarely leave their spouses.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
For those who care, terrisus messaged me on Skype this morning. He informed he did receive a two-week temp ban but, upon his request, it has been extended to a permanent ban. I don't know if he wanted me to tell you but I figured there are people who care about him.

Well, if that's what he feels like he needs to do, then maybe it's for the best. Best wishes Terri!

Thanks again everyone for the bday wishes.

Also Corn it will probably be the later. Most men like that rarely leave their spouses.

Happy bday.

And yeah, I don't think the dude would leave his wife. Not for her anyway. If I were a cheater like that I'd like to have my cake and it it too. So I think he'll keep cheating and using my friend as a side bitch until he gets caught by the wife. And is that really a good thing for my friend if she has legit feelings for this guy?

Hmm I'd say what bothers me is that she slept with some guy who she knew was married. I know the argument is "hey he is the one in a committed relationship, not her" but I still find it morally wrong and no argument is really going to change my opinion of it. An alternative argument I see get made is "if it wasn't her, he would have cheated with someone else" but even if that were true I don't really find it a convincing argument. I'm not morally repulsed to break off the friendship, but if she asks for my opinion I'm not going to pretend I find it fine.

Meanwhile she implied that she has feelings for this guy. What exactly is she going to get out of this? Some dude who will divorce his wife for her and then potentially leave her the next time a new piece of fuckmeat comes by? Or will she just be his side bitch for life?

I think your moral objections matter less than her ability to make adult decisions. Shes your friend and you dont want her to get hurt and thats understandable. Persuading her on that basis seems like the friendly thing to do.

I think your moral objections matter less than her ability to make adult decisions. Shes your friend and you dont want her to get hurt and thats understandable. Persuading her on that basis seems like the friendly thing to do.

She's my friend so I dont want her to get hurt, but I also don't really condone a friend participating in some morally reprehensible behavior. I think my moral objections are perfectly valid as one of the main driving forces of my objection to her behavior. If I had to put a number, I'd say my desire to say anything is driven 70% by moral objection and 30% by wanting her not hurt.

Symphonia

Banned
She's my friend so I dont want her to get hurt, but I also don't really condone a friend participating in some morally reprehensible behavior. I think my moral objections are perfectly valid as one of the main driving forces of my objection to her behavior. If I had to put a number, I'd say my desire to say anything is driven 70% by moral objection and 30% by wanting her not hurt.
There's an old saying you might know, it takes two to tango.

There's an old saying you might know, it takes two to tango.

Indeed. I think the cheating husband is the more immoral actor here, since he is the one in the committed relationship. But I don't think that exonerates my friend of all the blame. She didn't have to be the one he cheated on with. Participating in that is immoral in my opinion.

Unless you are implying that the unknowing wife is at fault somehow in this. But even if she were some harpy of a wife who never had sex with her husband I don't think that excuses cheating.

Symphonia

Banned
Indeed. I think the cheating husband is the more immoral actor here, since he is the one in the committed relationship. But I don't think that exonerates my friend of all the blame. She didn't have to be the one he cheated on with. Participating in that is immoral in my opinion.

Unless you are implying that the unknowing wife is at fault somehow in this. But even if she were some harpy of a wife who never had sex with her husband I don't think that excuses cheating.
I'm not saying your friend isn't to blame but you need to remember that he's the one in a committed relationship/marriage, as you pointed out above. They are both to blame. But, honestly, unless you know the full story about why he slept with her, it's unfair to judge them too harshly. He could be in an abusive relationship for all you know, and sought affection and intimacy, and found it in the form of your friend/your friend's vagina.

Sheik

I'm with you. I suppose it depends on what kind of friendship you have with this person, but personally, I appreciate when my friends call me on my shit. It helps me keep my character in line when I'm too deep into a situation to notice when I'm being morally dubious. Also, if she really is emotionally attached to the guy, that's leading to disaster. Better to give her a dose of reality now to prevent being a shoulder to cry on later. (Although you'll probably still have to do the latter.)

I'm not saying your friend isn't to blame but you need to remember that he's the one in a committed relationship/marriage, as you pointed out above. They are both to blame. But, honestly, unless you know the full story about why he slept with her, it's unfair to judge them too harshly. He could be in an abusive relationship for all you know, and sought affection and intimacy, and found it in the form of your friend/your friend's vagina.

Abusive relationship or no, I don't think it is moral for him to drag my friend into his mess. If he isn't happy in the relationship he needs to leave, not drag others onto his sinking ship. Similarly, if he's seeking affection and intimacy from someone else because his wife gives him none, I really think my friend should not be that person. Lets say someone leaves a car with expensive goods unlocked inside a bad neighborhood while going grocery shopping. You see this happen, and then decide to help yourself to whatever goods are inside the car. "Hey if I didn't take them, someone else would have!" is simply an excuse, but not a particularly great justification for participating in the action.

Sai-kun

Banned
uhhh i feel u bro but people are not expensive goods in a car unless they are sentient robots or something

edit: my two cents:

i def agree that she prob shouldn't be invested in anything beyond physical, because she'll get hurt, although I also agree that if he wasn't gonna cheat with her, it would have been someone else, and it's not her responsibility to to anything except protect herself physically and mentally if she wants to. She has no obligation to keep this dude from cheating.

That said, if it were my friend, I definitely wouldn't want them to get hurt either, and I'd at least bring it up, and if they choose to reject my advice or not hear me out, then that's their problem.

However, if someone came at me with 'advice' from some kind of moral high ground perspective, I'd probably tell them to fuck off and mind their own business :/ So in conclusion, i'd only say something if you're sincerely interested in making sure that she's safe, and not say anything if you're just gonna be up on a high horse or parade your 'higher' morals or something. My friends do all kinds of shit that I don't necessarily agree with morally, but it's not my place to get all parental and chastise them for it. I might joke with them about it, but ultimately they're gonna do what they're gonna do and an appeal to some kind of better morals isn't the way to stop them.

Happy birthday, Henchman21.

-------------------------------------------

I got new glasses today. I'm far sighted. I had to keep rescheduling my eye appointment as things kept coming up, so I was glad to get that over with. Here is how I look with them.

U9xUzfY.jpg

They didn't have Cherry Coke in Canada before?!

Yeah, what the fuck?! I thought Canada was supposed to be a first-world country, but now this?
It had to do with the ingredients in the US formulation that provided the cherry flavor. They were not used (banned?) in Canada. Obviously they've found an alternate method of implementing this. I'm not sure if either of you have been to Canada, but a lot of our junk food tastes quite different compared to the US.

Now we are truly the world's #1 place to be.

I mean, they don't even have Cherry Coke in bags???
I wish, I'd hook it up like an IV.

uhhh i feel u bro but people are not expensive goods in a car unless they are sentient robots or something

edit: my two cents:

although I also agree that if he wasn't gonna cheat with her, it would have been someone else, and it's not her responsibility to to anything except protect herself physically and mentally if she wants to. She has no obligation to keep this dude from cheating.

I'm not saying people are goods in cars. It is a comparison though. Analogy I think is the proper term.

And the comparison is that someone WILL plunder the car if you don't. Similarly, the husband WILL cheat with someone if it isn't you. But why should YOU be the one to plunder the car? And why should YOU be the one he cheats with? I think the correct action is to leave that to less moral actors, and strive to be a better person.

And she has no obligation to keep the dude from cheating I suppose. But I personally find marriage to be worth protecting and an institution deserving of respect. So many people celebrated the victory of gay marriage, and I in particular was elated because I see marriage as something worth protecting and promoting. I hope that gay culture (and modern straight culture among youths) shifts such that there is a greater respect for marriage. But it seems that the respect isn't quite there yet if people don't see sleeping with a married dude as even the slightest bit wrong.

DOWN

Banned
I think both people are responsible for an affair or cheating if they both knew that one/both of them were in a relationship. Sure, if only one is in a relationship then that person is at greater fault. I don't get the idea of letting the single person who joined in the behavior with the 'unavailable' party off the hook, however.

That said, it's nothing I'd distance myself from friends over alone.

Kater

Banned
Oh, this city now has intersection lights like Vienna and other big cities here in Austria depicting a same-sex couple. :)

ziKwOmJ.jpg

Looks like this.

nEvZzgc.jpg

Or that one.

It looks cute and it's a small little reminder that people like we here exist too. :)

I think both people are responsible for an affair or cheating if they both knew that one/both of them were in a relationship. Sure, if only one is in a relationship then that person is at greater fault. I don't get the idea of letting the single person who joined in the behavior with the 'unavailable' party off the hook, however.

Oh of course not. I still intend to remain friends with her.

Oh, this city now has intersection lights like Vienna and other big cities here in Austria depicting a same-sex couple. :)

ziKwOmJ.jpg

Looks like this.

nEvZzgc.jpg

Or that one.

It looks cute and it's a small little reminder that people like we here exist too. :)

they look the same. except one is skinny, the other one is fat and old looking

I agree with everything you said. Friends can be messy sometimes, I wouldn't distance myself over something like that. People make mistakes and learn from them, usually.

Shinobix

I don't think thats possible unless you were in a coma.

I had a 34 hour shift at the hospital. Medical residencies are a modern form of slavery.

On a side note: Just found out UPS returned my package to sender, and I paid for express delivery. Ugh. I ordered some products from DS Labs because my hair feels weak and thin

DOWN

Banned
I make the dumbest mistakes in front of the biggest boss. I'm the smoothest when it's any of the second tier managers, but this top manager makes me so frazzled. He's got a really annoying, cloying voice (not just stereotypically gay like my other manager's voice, just plain annoying), he is way overbearing and hovers around, and he stares too long after a conversation making me super uncomfortable.

Arcipello

I make the dumbest mistakes in front of the biggest boss. I'm the smoothest when it's any of the second tier managers, but this top manager makes me so frazzled. He's got a really annoying, cloying voice (not just stereotypically gay like my other manager's voice, just plain annoying), he is way overbearing and hovers around, and he stares too long after a conversation making me super uncomfortable.

what do you work as? im not sure if your statement sounds like sexual tension of not.... might just by my rose wine kicking in :p

Sense8 episode two: ok most of this show isn't dumb but how did the Indian girl do the dance number? She didn't know about it so she would never be able to do that choreography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom