• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Maybe try seeing if there are any social groups/meetups like I did? I was feeling pretty much the same. making friends there has helped me feel more confident and more likable.
It helps that it is a gay geek social, so I always feel like I've got at least 2 things in common with everyone there, which makes introducing myself and starting conversations not as daunting.

Been trying to find some for a while but the city I live is a ghost town outside of the mall. At the moment all I have is a gay gaming group on fb that seems to make gatherings every end of the month but the events are not exactly close. I would try going at least once if the car wasn't in the condition it is right now. I'm slowly looking for options that are closer but not so we'll see what happens.

bY7mH2Y.gif

=P

We need to catch up, there's been so much T.

Vazduh

Sadly, I know that feeling of loneliness during which friends, even the closest ones are never there. However, what I've realized that it's important to keep yourself occupied at all costs. Dark thoughts will always be there in some capacity, but it's possible to make them go away, even when depressed. Takes effort, but honestly, what doesn't? Life is hard!

Also, what I've always found ironic is that friends were always there for me when I least needed them. Not saying that I don't appreciate the company because I do (I love my friends!), but it's always coincided with when I was at my most confident. When I was less confident, it was as if the other could sense it and were never there, lol

Anyway, Bayo, there's no universal advice for depression and loneliness. You just gotta stick through it and give your best, even on days when you feel like you'd rather stay in bed. Whatever you do, just don't give up on yourself. Even baby steps are better than no steps.

Bladenic

People tend to shy away from people when they're down. It's like having the flu, I've noticed. It sucks but that's how it is.

Also Bayo you're still gaming right? Hang in there, Tales of Zestiria is almost out.

Also, what I've always found ironic is that friends were always there for me when I least needed them. Not saying that I don't appreciate the company because I do (I love my friends!), but it's always coincided with when I was at my most confident. When I was less confident, it was as if the other could sense it and were never there, lol

This is actually an important observation. When I'm at my most confident or zen, the people in my network are more present and willing to give me their time. When I close off or seem to wallow in my own bullshit, that's when I feel distance. It makes sense because the bottom line is that no one is attracted to negative energy, and that goes for all of us. We want friends to be there for us especially during our dark moments, but it's not an approachable energy. We are drawn to people for specific qualities, and while we may care about them unconditionally and want to be there for them through it all, our instinct is to avoid the bad energy and pursue the good.

I've had to internalize the fact that if I'm happy, the people in my life will celebrate it, and if I'm sad, I'm on my own because it's for me to figure out. And if I need someone to talk to, I'd have to draw them in using the qualities they like about me in the first place. And usually, reminding myself of those good qualities is a good step in getting myself out of a funk.

Vazra

People tend to shy away from people when they're down. It's like having the flu, I've noticed. It sucks but that's how it is.

Also Bayo you're still gaming right? Hang in there, Tales of Zestiria is almost out.

Yup I shall be getting Zestiria on PC (Crosses finger that the port isn't botched like most JP ports to PC)

Sadly, I know that feeling of loneliness during which friends, even the closest ones are never there. However, what I've realized that it's important to keep yourself occupied at all costs. Dark thoughts will always be there in some capacity, but it's possible to make them go away, even when depressed. Takes effort, but honestly, what doesn't? Life is hard!

Anyway, Bayo, there's no universal advice for depression and loneliness. You just gotta stick through it and give your best, even on days when you feel like you'd rather stay in bed. Whatever you do, just don't give up on yourself. Even baby steps are better than no steps.
I know its not easy but when those days come up they are pretty damn hard. Today I'm feeling much better then again Im keeping myself busy with Tera and Assault Android Cactus. I plan watching Paranorman and thinking which other halloween themed or horror movies to watch along the week. Its not all bad when you do find stuff to do.

Bladenic

Are you still working out? I know a lot of people that would dive headfirst into the gym when they're feeling down and I think it helps. I should do that too.

Vazra

Are you still working out? I know a lot of people that would dive headfirst into the gym when they're feeling down and I think it helps. I should do that too.

I actually stopped working out like 2 months ago but Im starting tomorrow again. Gotta get my threadmill back to the room to do my hour of cardio and 30 minutes of aerobics.

It does help. If there's one thing I feel good about, even when I'm in a shitty mood or depressed, it's going to the gym to improve myself.

Vazra

What's the goal? Do you have a pic of what you're trying to achieve or is it a lets see what happens type of experiment.

Last year I changed my hair color every month. It was fun.
I was going blonde originally but it ended reddish. 3 weeks later (today) went for a darker red. It was just to change a bit .

Vazra

what are those?
We call those mantecaditos here but I think you guys call that shortbread cookies on US. Really easy to make and delicious. You can also improvise and add different things like almonds,coconut, chocolate and other things to it.

Rayis

I'm watching lots of 80's music videos and I'm loving them but that time period is so paradoxical, how could everyone be so gay yet so homophobic?

Koppai

We finally ordered the invitations, so freaking late. Love the rings we picked out too :D

The invitations won't be here until Friday, and I had to pay $30 extra just to get it here on time. I used Vistaprint.

I am excited, I saw the venue which is just the pool area/patio of an apartment complex, but it is so gorgeous.

Still need to go find out suits though. <_>;

Have you guys ever experienced being the hottest person in a McDonald's? &#55357;&#56449;&#55356;&#57341;

I feel that way about every place I go!
jk

Have you guys ever experienced being the hottest person in a McDonald's? &#55357;&#56449;&#55356;&#57341;
Why yes, all I have to do is walk in &#55357;&#56449;&#55356;&#57341;

&#9632; Bandai Namco&#8217;s Katsuhiro Harada

Q: Can girls also enjoy Summer Lesson?

A: The women on the development team are enjoying it. However, many also want to introduce handsome guys into the mix.

E194752250C9AE367674FCE0D1367750D974168E

Yes please. The only thing that can lure me into our creepy VR future is effeminate anime men telling me I'm pretty <3

mantidor

I'm watching lots of 80's music videos and I'm loving them but that time period is so paradoxical, how could everyone be so gay yet so homophobic?

This is the part when as part of old gay-GAF I feel like I can finally contribute in this thread. :p

Homosexuality simply wasn't visible, it was incredibly taboo. On of my contemporaries was absolutely shocked just a few weeks ago when I told him Freddie Mercury was gay, he simply couldn't believe it, and he has seen the "I want to break free" video, and is very aware Mercury was hiv positive and died of aids. Not saying that those things make him gay... but come on!

Since there was literally no representation, there was some kind of "freedom" into putting all this gay stuff and most people were completely oblivious to the fact, for most it was just as Bayo said, over-the-top antics. But gay people knew, it was practically a secret society that evolved its own codes. This of course has a lot of background from the days of censorship and the Hays code (which has a wonderful documentary, the celluloid closet, which it now really needs to be updated with development in the recent decades :p).

As always we have lead pop culture and later mainstream culture appropriates it, so you got that all that "gay" stuff of perms and craziness that was the 80s became the cool thing and everyone just followed, without knowing.

Little known fact, all that leather and rough stuff from rock and metal bands? That comes from Judas Priest, close to that time, Robert Halford the lead singer was gay (closeted at the time), and he wanted a shocking image for the band, so he decided to adapt the whole gay leather scene into it (which is as old as some of our parents :p), and it became the staple of hard rock and metal.

This is the part when as part of old gay-GAF I feel like I can finally contribute in this thread. :p

Homosexuality simply wasn't visible, it was incredibly taboo. On of my contemporaries was absolutely shocked just a few weeks ago when I told him Freddie Mercury was gay, he simply couldn't believe it, and he has seen the "I want to break free" video, and is very aware Mercury was hiv positive and died of aids. Not saying that those things make him gay... but come on!

Since there was literally no representation, there was some kind of "freedom" into putting all this gay stuff and most people were completely oblivious to the fact, for most it was just as Bayo said, over-the-top antics. But gay people knew, it was practically a secret society that evolved its own codes. This of course has a lot of background from the days of censorship and the Hays code (which has a wonderful documentary, the celluloid closet, which it now really needs to be updated with development in the recent decades :p).

As always we have lead pop culture and later mainstream culture appropriates it, so you got that all that "gay" stuff of perms and craziness that was the 80s became the cool thing and everyone just followed, without knowing.

Little known fact, all that leather and rough stuff from rock and metal bands? That comes from Judas Priest, close to that time, Robert Halford the lead singer was gay (closeted at the time), and he wanted a shocking image for the band, so he decided to adapt the whole gay leather scene into it (which is as old as some of our parents :p), and it became the staple of hard rock and metal.

As a fellow member of old gay-gaf, this post warms my heart.

Also of note was that androgyny was big around the mid 80s with bands like Culture Club and the like.

Bayonnetta said:
I think they saw it just as over the top than gay?

Not so much that as mostly the 80s were a total reverse of what the 70s were. Unlike now where everything is so homogenized to be the same, the 80s sort of was a rejection of everything the 70s stood for. Which is why the 80s were so neon and expressive. The 70s at the time were seen as dull and drab. The 80s on the other hand was the other extreme. Vibrant and loud.

Kater

Banned
I will never understand how people think this way.
I mean, I get taste and all, but really accepting only this is kind of absurd, most of these men that you see in here have bodies that take years to achieve. Plus you need all the money for training and fitness equipment. It's maddening how high some people's standards are, speaking from my own perspective and what I see on the internet.

I get finding someone not attractive for stuff that can be corrected more easily like bad hygiene, the basics, really.

Oh man, it was so funny when the gay bar in my city was still in the same house as the rock bar. It was basically all dudes in leather and you couldn't tell from which of the two bars they just left. :D

Golnei

Is there any consensus on whether Freddie Mercury was gay or bi? I always assumed the latter, for some reason...

I think I'll need meds to sleep at this point lol.

Wish I could say something even remotely helpful. Has being unable to sleep without medication been a fairly common thing for you in general, or is that just happening more often now?

Also, the new colour looks good on you.

I will never understand how people think this way.

And their heads rear back, issuing a piercing, unholy cry through unmoving, cold lips - "it's just a preference."

Five exclamation marks. I wonder what traumatic experiences this troubled soul had to drive him to such desperate lengths to ensure the racial purity of those who would dare gaze upon him.

DOWN

Banned
Is there any consensus on whether Freddie Mercury was gay or bi? I always assumed the latter, for some reason...

Wish I could say something even remotely helpful. Has being unable to sleep without medication been a fairly common thing for you in general, or is that just happening more often now?

Also, the new colour looks good on you.

And their heads rear back, issuing a piercing, unholy cry through unmoving, cold lips - "it's just a preference."

Five exclamation marks. I wonder what traumatic experiences this troubled soul had to drive him to such desperate lengths to ensure the racial purity of those who would dare gaze upon him.
"Not even for friends" lmao

And no one can say definitively on Mercury since he wasn't publicly out, but I've read it's presumed he was gay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom