• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Wish I could say something even remotely helpful. Has being unable to sleep without medication been a fairly common thing for you in general, or is that just happening more often now?

Also, the new colour looks good on you.
It was controlled before but these last months it happens more often. I really want the night sleep cause I don't like crashing in the middle of the day. If I don't sleep I end up being more emotionally unstable or grumpy and it's obviously showing more often in the thread as you may have seen. It sucks to just get like 3 hours of sleep to then have a lot of up time being cranky or sad.

I'm going back to working out today so it should help me be more tired at night I suppose so we'll see what happens.

Also thanks for saying the color looks good. :)

Speaking of Grindr, I have this habit of taking screencaps when the profile pics on the grid line up to create some amusingly coincidental combinations.

e0af604980.jpg

67dc993b1b.jpg

7a5d11f7ff.jpg

It's all the app is good for. Thirsty hos.

Not that I can blame them, though. My profile pic is a work of
slutty
art

Was super excited for a date with this seemingly amazing guy today, and I got stood up with radio silence. So the night took a turn instead to a drinking-game with a handful friends in the dark while taking turns progressing together through:

Being a 1st-person camera-man for these spirits while buzzed in the dark. We all basically shat our pants.

Got another date with another dude tomorrow. I don't think he games at all, but I almost wanna call him and be all "Fatal Frame 2 & chill."

mantidor

Not so much that as mostly the 80s were a total reverse of what the 70s were. Unlike now where everything is so homogenized to be the same, the 80s sort of was a rejection of everything the 70s stood for. Which is why the 80s were so neon and expressive. The 70s at the time were seen as dull and drab. The 80s on the other hand was the other extreme. Vibrant and loud.

Well the 70s were disco, so I'm not sure it was seen as dull and grab, maybe just subdued, there were a lot of family bands like ABBA as well. The 70s felt like clinging to the past, the 80s were the future, neon and lasers and Blade Runner and Tron.

talk more about gay stuff in the 80s you guys

Disclaimer: I'm a late 80s early 90s kid, I was born in 1982, so most of the 80s were my very early childhood and I don't remember much, however, and this is something that doesn't happen anymore, being born outside the US meant everything was delayed for entire years before it got to your country. So yes, in terms of movies, music, etc. I feel a lot more like an 80s kid than a 90s kid.

The 80s were unfortunately a pretty gloomy era for the lgbt community because of Aids, whatever little was gained in the 60s and 70s thanks to the hippie thing and the whole free love and everything went back to 50s-like times. STDs were things you get cured with a shot, aids was a whole other thing, people barely understood it at the time. It was just a "gay cancer" and many, many people died.

Is there any consensus on whether Freddie Mercury was gay or bi? I always assumed the latter, for some reason...

I honestly feel it was just a way to "soften the blow" that he was gay, specially after his death. He did have a very close relationship with this soprano singer but to call it sexual is for me kind of a stretch, and I don't know of any other relationship he had with women.

edit: wikipedia has some interesting things to say

Sexual orientation

While some commentators claimed Mercury hid his sexual orientation from the public,[19][30][75] others claimed he was "openly gay."[76][77] In December 1974, when asked directly, "So how about being bent?" by the New Musical Express, Mercury replied, "You're a crafty cow. Let's put it this way; there were times when I was young and green. It's a thing schoolboys go through. I've had my share of schoolboy pranks. I'm not going to elaborate further." Homosexual acts between adult males over the age of 21 were decriminalised in the United Kingdom in 1967, only seven years earlier. In the 1980s, he would often distance himself from his partner, Jim Hutton, during public events.[72] In October 1986, The Sun claimed Mercury had "confessed to a string of one-night gay sex affairs."[78]

During his career, Mercury's flamboyant stage performances sometimes led journalists to allude to his sexuality. Dave Dickson, reviewing Queen's performance at Wembley Arena in 1984 for Kerrang!, noted Mercury's "camp" addresses to the audience and even described him as a "posing, pouting, posturing tart."[79] In 1992, John Marshall of Gay Times expressed the following opinion: "[Mercury] was a 'scene-queen,' not afraid to publicly express his gayness, but unwilling to analyse or justify his 'lifestyle'... It was as if Freddie Mercury was saying to the world, 'I am what I am. So what?' And that in itself for some was a statement."[80] In an article for AfterElton, Robert Urban stated: "Mercury did not ally himself to 'political outness,' or to LGBT causes."[80]

Some think Mercury was bisexual, for example activist Wendy Curry, who recalled using Mercury's birthday as part of the inspiration for Celebrate Bisexuality Day: "We were sitting around at one of the annual bi conventions, venting and someone – I think it was Gigi– said we should have a party. We all loved the great bisexual, Freddie Mercury. His birthday was in September, so why not Sept? We wanted a weekend day to ensure the most people would do something. Gigi's birthday was Sept 23rd. It fell on a weekend day, so, poof! We had a day."[81][82]

It just shows exactly how it was at the time, and how his perception of "outness" varied so much. In these moderns days being out is much more clear cut. Saying cleary "I am gay" was huge, I think the first one to go there was Ellen, but that was the 90s.

Five exclamation marks. I wonder what traumatic experiences this troubled soul had to drive him to such desperate lengths to ensure the racial purity of those who would dare gaze upon him.
I've seen: NO VENEZUELANS a couple of times. How randomly specific (I think once in Miami and once in Mexico).

I've seen: NO VENEZUELANS a couple of times. How randomly specific (I think once in Miami and once in Mexico).

Yeah, that's weirdly honed in.

My fave's when they're all "no face no chat" and their main pic is a headless torso. Or, when they have the raunchiest main photo ever and in their profile they have "NO HOOK UPS."

Can't sleep and haven't posted in here for ages so heyyyy.

And yeah that twitter didn't lie sadly, a bit broad and generalized a bit but still on point.
Speaking on that post saying NO LATINOS but then says looking for friends and chat umm

I see contradictions like that on these apps a lot.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Can't sleep and haven't posted in here for ages so heyyyy.

And yeah that twitter didn't lie sadly, a bit broad and generalized a bit but still on point.
Speaking on that post saying NO LATINOS but then says looking for friends and chat umm

I see contradictions like that on these apps a lot.

Note that the profile also says he only wants to talk to single men under 30. Apparently guys in relationships and/or over 30 make for terrible chat buddies and friends.

EDIT: Lawlz, I just noticed that the guy is 28 and the oldest he is willing to talk to is 29. I wonder if the same was still true when his birthday came around.

Note that the profile also says he only wants to talk to single men under 30. Apparently guys in relationships and/or over 30 make for terrible chat buddies and friends.

It's really funny to me.

What makes you think you're anything material when you can't be honest about what you want?.
It's never about friends when you're race and relationship status specific.

I honestly feel it was just a way to "soften the blow" that he was gay, specially after his death. He did have a very close relationship with this soprano singer but to call it sexual is for me kind of a stretch, and I don't know of any other relationship he had with women.
From the wikipedia article:
In the early 1970s, Mercury had a long-term relationship with Mary Austin, whom he met through guitarist Brian May. He lived with Austin for several years in West Kensington, London. By the mid-1970s, the singer had begun an affair with a male American record executive at Elektra Records and in December 1976, Mercury told Austin of his sexuality, which ended their romantic relationship.[46][page needed][65] Mercury moved out of the flat they shared, into 12 Stafford Terrace in Kensington and bought Austin a place of her own nearby.[46] They remained close friends through the years, with Mercury often referring to her as his only true friend. In a 1985 interview, Mercury said of Austin, "All my lovers asked me why they couldn't replace Mary [Austin], but it's simply impossible. The only friend I've got is Mary and I don't want anybody else. To me, she was my common-law wife. To me, it was a marriage. We believe in each other, that's enough for me."[66] He also wrote several songs about Austin, the most notable of which is "Love of My Life." Mercury's final home, Garden Lodge, 1 Logan Place, a twenty-eight room Georgian mansion in Kensington set in a quarter-acre manicured garden surrounded by a high brick wall, had been picked out by Austin.[67] In his will, Mercury left his London home to Austin, rather than his partner Jim Hutton, saying to her, "You would have been my wife and it would have been yours anyway."[68] Mercury was also the godfather of Mary's oldest son, Richard.[47]

During the early- to mid-1980s, he was romantically involved with Barbara Valentin, an Austrian actress, who is featured in the video for "It's a Hard Life."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Mercury#Relationships

Morning letters GAF! Hope you're all looking forward to Gaga on AHS tonight! It's still not too late though–support the good sis and buy ARTPOP on iTunes.

mantidor

Ok I haven't read those whole tweets.

So not liking feminine men means you feel threatened by femininity... wat

maybe you just aren't attracted to them? is that not a possibility at all?

Vazra

Ok I haven't read those whole tweets.

So not liking feminine men means you feel threatened by femininity... wat

maybe you just aren't attracted to them? is that not a possibility at all?

These days everything seems offensive to people and not being attracted to something or having some preferences makes you bigoted or racist in the internet. People need to put down the pitchforks cause I bet my ass they have their own preferences and limits but just cause they want to look good in the eyes of everyone they pretend to like everyone just the same.

"not even for friends"

Seriously? Like, who would even want to be friends with that racist fucker after reading that? Mess.

Exactly. But sadly, it is a common thing in the gay community. I've even seen it with some messy gays here on GAF, the blatant racism has me screaming.

I'm dying at this gif.

Splatoon's aesthetic actually really upsets me.

Wait, why? It has to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing games to come out in a long time. The art style and theme is on point.

mantidor

No one is saying you must like x.

But examining the implications of social conditioning is always worthwhile.

Well yes but maybe the whole thing about being gay is being drawn to masculinity.

In a place like Japan, where effeminate men can be seen as highly desirable in mainstream culture, gay men actually go for the same masculinity thing as in the west and reject that mainstream ideal.

Of course not everyone, thankfully we are not a monolithic, invariable structure :p but I hope you get my point.

Alrus

Of course not everyone, thankfully we are not a monolithic, invariable structure :p

According to the internet and a few people in this thread, it seems a lot of people don't really agree with that. What with the mentions of hating the "gay community" and stuff like that.

DOWN

Banned
Exactly. But sadly, it is a common thing in the gay community. I've even seen it with some messy gays here on GAF, the blatant racism has me screaming.

I'm dying at this gif.

Wait, why? It has to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing games to come out in a long time. The art style and theme is on point.
It looks really cloying to me. The colors don't quite harmonize, the characters look like they would scream like edgy kids singing jingles in a 90s Nickelodeon ad (which the game's official trailer pays tribute to), and it reminds me of what I could imagine a forgettable and likely cancelled kids tv show might have gone for. Just looks obnoxious and unremarkable to me.

Totally opinion, but it looks like it could be any forgettable line of toys or shovel ware and I think the visuals are really unusual because most professionals know better than to end up with this Disney Jr. reject:
Splatoon_e3_2014_screenshot1.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

Kevyt

Darn. I was expecting to find Down selfies with a McDonald's shake or something.

The hottest Latino I ever saw and talked to, in my humble opinion, was Venezuelan. He was an exchange student.

Perfect in every way. What I really liked the the most is that you could talk to him a lot. He was a great conversationalist.

Bladenic

Scream Queens is a fun show is anyone watching? It's kinda perfect for Ryan Murphy because the show can drop all pretenses of having a coherent plot or developed characters. It can just be a crazy parody of slasher films. Ryan Murphy is still trash tho overall

Well the 70s were disco, so I'm not sure it was seen as dull and grab, maybe just subdued, there were a lot of family bands like ABBA as well. The 70s felt like clinging to the past, the 80s were the future, neon and lasers and Blade Runner and Tron.

Disclaimer: I'm a late 80s early 90s kid, I was born in 1982, so most of the 80s were my very early childhood and I don't remember much, however, and this is something that doesn't happen anymore, being born outside the US meant everything was delayed for entire years before it got to your country. So yes, in terms of movies, music, etc. I feel a lot more like an 80s kid than a 90s kid.

The 80s were unfortunately a pretty gloomy era for the lgbt community because of Aids, whatever little was gained in the 60s and 70s thanks to the hippie thing and the whole free love and everything went back to 50s-like times. STDs were things you get cured with a shot, aids was a whole other thing, people barely understood it at the time. It was just a "gay cancer" and many, many people died.

edit: wikipedia has some interesting things to say

It just shows exactly how it was at the time, and how his perception of "outness" varied so much. In these moderns days being out is much more clear cut. Saying cleary "I am gay" was huge, I think the first one to go there was Ellen, but that was the 90s.

Well it was mostly a fashion thing. I mean when you think 70s fashion you think earth tones; browns, and tans etc... the 80s were a complete reversal of that. Neon everywhere. Bright colors. It was if a damn had burst.

The colors don't quite harmonize, the characters look like they would scream like edgy kids singing jingles in a 90s Nickelodeon ad (which the game's official trailer pays tribute to)

As a 90s kid, I love it. That is part of the aesthetic and what they were going for, but modernized. Once you play the game, you understand and appreciate the visuals and art direction they went with. It's incredibly well crafted.

Plus, the character designs are just instant classic.

Scream Queens is a fun show is anyone watching? It's kinda perfect for Ryan Murphy because the show can drop all pretenses of having a coherent plot or developed characters. It can just be a crazy parody of slasher films. Ryan Murphy is still trash tho overall

I'm watching it. I love it. It totally reminds me of Popular, and I'm glad he went back to this style of humor even though a lot of people are offended by it. The "Chanel-'o-ween" was perfect.

Vazra

I enjoy the show for the camp but the last episode didnt grab me much.

Koppai

So true about Grindr and all of the other apps. "No fats, fems, blacks, asians" is what I commonly see all the time. It's really heartbreaking. I have friends of all different colors in the gay community so it makes me sad.

I was pretty much up for dating anyone if they had a good personality, it's not always about looks for me. But now I am to be married (to a latino) :D I have never dated a white guy or black guy.

Speaking of Grindr, I have this habit of taking screencaps when the profile pics on the grid line up to create some amusingly coincidental combinations.

It's all the app is good for. Thirsty hos.

Not that I can blame them, though. My profile pic is a work of
slutty
art

HAHA I did this all the time too.
Werk that profile pic

Austin TX is pretty much a majority white populace, and I've seen quite a lot of racial "preferences" being listed casually on profiles, specifically "latinos to the front" or "black/white/latino/middle eastern only" as a way to just shun Asian guys without deliberately saying it. lol

I think after coming out we're encouraged in the community to be more irreverent (as a means of being "fearless," "unique", etc.) and that's a legitimate catalyst to the kind of bullshit we see on Grindr. We think we can get away saying anything because we've cashed in our victim card and we think that waives us from other culture no-no's. We want to be as transparent as possible now and people mistake that for "oh so I can be a casual racist? Sweet."

I hope these people keep getting called out on their shit because there's a difference between having physical preferences and displaying them publicly across racial lines like you've been living under a cultural rock for eons. Some people are just derps.

DOWN

Banned
Ceviche and American Horror Story party tonight lol. I've only tasted ceviche once and I've never watched AHS before.

Guise, am I sexy? Mine didnt turn out too good this year. Its time to dead yourself with the walking dead app.

ZtJDbL6.jpg
drop dead gorgeous something something

Sai-kun

Banned
These days everything seems offensive to people and not being attracted to something or having some preferences makes you bigoted or racist in the internet. People need to put down the pitchforks cause I bet my ass they have their own preferences and limits but just cause they want to look good in the eyes of everyone they pretend to like everyone just the same.

yeah you're right I guess let's stop talking about social conditioning and how it affects us so that you can get back to posting your selfies

Kevyt

B-b-buuut but but! it's all about preferences and it has nothing to do with racism! Why do we have to be so politically correct!?

Besides, I'm not racist - I think some non-white guys can be cute too!

/s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom