• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.
He knows, or at least has his suspicions that something isn't quite right. She's asked me to give her some space - and a week - to try and sort it out. He knows her and I have history, hence the suspicion. She thinks he'll ask her to cut me out her life. Neither her or I want that, obviously. Shit's getting complicated. Guessing this is karma.

Dude has every reason to suspect you. You're shading as fuck when it comes to relationships from what you've described to us.

Just be prepared to face the consequences if you two decided to go through with it.

He knows, or at least has his suspicions that something isn't quite right. She's asked me to give her some space - and a week - to try and sort it out. He knows her and I have history, hence the suspicion. She thinks he'll ask her to cut me out her life. Neither her or I want that, obviously. Shit's getting complicated. Guessing this is karma.

6Xs9WdR.gif

Bladenic

Just elope tbh. Fuck that guy, he clearly isn't making her happy if she's talking to you about her feelings.

Oh my goodness, Pride was everything today.
I loooove going and this year was even better with my friends. Mainly walked around and listened to the stage music which was awesome.
Can't wait until the parade tommorow. :D
bHrIZTN.jpg

Don't know what I would do without these guys. :D

Kevyt

Okay, let me just ask you something.

Consider this scenario:

Joe recently started using Grindr. He has noticed that he's been getting attention from latinos, black and asian men. None of which Joe finds attractive.

Joe on his Grindr profile writes "no blacks, asians, or latinos."

Is it fair to say that Joe is a racist, or that he has a racial prejudice, even though he has no interest in men in those racial categories because he is merely stating his preferences, race being one of them?

Or in other words, “People who indicate a racial preference in their profile are not trying to offend anyone,” and “As long as people are polite about it, I see no problem in indicating a racial preference on their profile.”

Do you agree or disagree with that statement, and why?

Anyone else is free to chime in.

Is it even possible to find every person of a single race unattractive? that's so fucking extra
"I'm not racist, I just know that every member of an ethnic group is unattractive to me before meeting them based solely on their race. I prefer to think of myself as a melanin realist when it comes to dating."

DOWN

Banned
Okay, let me just ask you something.

Consider this scenario:

Joe recently started using Grindr. He has noticed that he's been getting attention from latinos, black and asian men. None of which Joe finds attractive.

Joe on his Grindr profile writes "no blacks, asians, or latinos."

Is it fair to say that Joe is a racist, or that he has a racial prejudice, even though he has no interest in men in those racial categories because he is merely stating his preferences, race being one of them?

Or in other words, “People who indicate a racial preference in their profile are not trying to offend anyone,” and “As long as people are polite about it, I see no problem in indicating a racial preference on their profile.”

Do you agree or disagree with that statement, and why?

Anyone else is free to chime in.
Excuse me for pointing out that hell no I will not ever say I agree when someone writes a generalization in bold and red in a sensitive topic lol

And considering perhaps intentionally you wrote a generalization that exonerates absolutely anyone who puts statements like "no X race" no matter what other details, guilt, or racist attitudes we could know about them for better or worse, and considering sincerely generalizing in that way would be contentious in a community like this thread - it seems like that red statement is DOA before even getting at the potential perspective to be derived from the content.

It would help if before I try to understand and answer another set of your questions, you could answer some of mine from the last post. I at least appreciate the dialogue continuing in some form so I'm glad you are posting about this, but it would be good to have an exchange going on rather than asking me for another feed of answers and questions right off without me having received much direct feedback on the post (outside of Robido's brief replies which are conflicted by others' posts on the terminology and thus I'm unclear of any consensus or wider profile on the questioned subjects from other non-white posters). Feedback on my last post and questions would open the exchange a bit to me since I am certainly still seeking perspective and answers to those.

LOCK

I can prefer certain characteristics, which is shaped by my own personal environment, culture, society influence. However to say that my attraction is limited to certain characteristics is inherently wrong. That's not how it works. Which is what everyone is slowly trying to explain.

Kevyt

Excuse me for pointing out that hell no I will not ever say I agree when someone writes a generalization in bold and red in a sensitive topic lol

And considering perhaps intentionally you wrote a generalization that exonerates absolutely anyone who puts statements like "no X race" no matter what other details, guilt, or racist attitudes we could know about them for better or worse, and considering sincerely generalizing in that way would be contentious in a community like this thread - it seems like that red statement is DOA before even getting at the potential perspective to be derived from the content.

It would help if before I try to understand and answer another set of your questions, you could answer some of mine from the last post. I at least appreciate the dialogue continuing in some form so I'm glad you are posting about this, but it would be good to have an exchange going on rather than asking me for another feed of answers and questions right off without me having received much direct feedback on the post (outside of Robido's brief replies which are conflicted by others' posts on the terminology and thus I'm unclear of any consensus or wider profile on the questioned subjects from other non-white posters). Feedback on my last post and questions would open the exchange a bit to me since I am certainly still seeking perspective and answers to those.

I thought your whole premise was that racial preferences are just preferences that do not warrant someone the label of a racist?

Hence my last post, unless I'm misunderstanding.

RM8

For example, if I were to create a list of the top 500 people I find most attractive, certain groups would have more representation on the list than others. I'm not sure I feel like sharing my personal preferences yet, so I will leave that out. Anyway, does having a preference like this make me racist?
I don't think so. It'd be pretty unlikely that anyone's list would represent every race equally, and even if it featured mostly one race, it's not excluding an entire race which seems to be the biggest problem.

I think the damaging subtext about those lists is that they highlight a set of features or attractive qualities that are derived from a small ethnic group. Most humans on the earth are not Caucasian, yet the popular standard of beauty revolves around those feature sets.
This constant undercurrent of what-is-beautiful and what-is-not has devastating effects on one's psyche. Just look at the amount of eating disorders and unrealistic expectations that are put onto young girls and women due to the fashion industry.
Since sexual attraction is something that people consider to be very personal and intimate, there is absolutely no doubt that the same culture of beauty shapes people's sexual desires.

I do think that the discussion in this thread about sexual racism is too focused on the offending party's actions - which in a way is a bit pointless because unless you're able to have an exchange with said person(s) you're not going to be able to change their mind?

I grew up in the "deep south" of the US, so I've experienced every kind of racism you could imagine - from casual to acute and directed. Those experiences have a profound effect on your self-esteem and self-worth. There were many years that I was ravaged by feelings of disgust and un-attractiveness, not because I truly believed that I was those things, but because my experiences of racism made me feel as though that was my reality. After moving out west, racist experiences did lessen to an extent - but they also became more subversive. I've also unintentionally manufactured racist scenarios where none existed due to the damages of my upbringing and hypersensitivity of the topic. But all of it taught me a very valuable lesson - to nurture yourself first.

Once you nurture yourself sexual racism doesn't really carry any weight. You have to be the master of your own body and your own self worth. The reality of the world is that it's not going to be fair - so first and foremost you have to protect and love yourself. Seeing someone (or even a lot of people) disparage ethnic groups is not a commentary on your own attractiveness, it is a reflection of their own issues. It doesn't make it right by any means, but it takes the power out of it so that the same messages that you've been ubiquitously receiving can stop and you can heal.

edit: I'm a member now, look at that!

I think the damaging subtext about those lists is that they highlight a set of features or attractive qualities that are derived from a small ethnic group. Most humans on the earth are not Caucasian, yet the popular standard of beauty revolves around those feature sets.
This constant undercurrent of what-is-beautiful and what-is-not has devastating effects on one's psyche. Just look at the amount of eating disorders and unrealistic expectations that are put onto young girls and women due to the fashion industry.
Since sexual attraction is something that people consider to be very personal and intimate, there is absolutely no doubt that the same culture of beauty shapes people's sexual desires.

I do think that the discussion in this thread about sexual racism is too focused on the offending party's actions - which in a way is a bit pointless because unless you're able to have an exchange with said person(s) you're not going to be able to change their mind?

I grew up in the "deep south" of the US, so I've experienced every kind of racism you could imagine - from casual to acute and directed. Those experiences have a profound effect on your self-esteem and self-worth. There were many years that I was ravaged by feelings of disgust and un-attractiveness, not because I truly believed that I was those things, but because my experiences of racism made me feel as though that was my reality. After moving out west, racist experiences did lessen to an extent - but they also became more subversive. I've also unintentionally manufactured racist scenarios where none existed due to the damages of my upbringing and hypersensitivity of the topic. But all of it taught me a very valuable lesson - to nurture yourself first.

Once you nurture yourself sexual racism doesn't really carry any weight. You have to be the master of your own body and your own self worth. The reality of the world is that it's not going to be fair - so first and foremost you have to protect and love yourself. Seeing someone (or even a lot of people) disparage ethnic groups is not a commentary on your own attractiveness, it is a reflection of their own issues. It doesn't make it right by any means, but it takes the power out of it so that the same messages that you've been ubiquitously receiving can stop and you can heal.

iO1AHkH.gif

I do think that the discussion in this thread about sexual racism is too focused on the offending party's actions -

Where then should we focus it?

giphy.gif

Where then should we focus it?

Not to get too metaphysical here - but I think people sharing their experiences helps others to see that they're not alone. It also can show people who might have participated in damaging behavior to see their effect on others. The best you can hope for is understanding. Trying to get into the mindset of an offender (especially without an offender present) is just a spiraling pit of which there is no escape from.

tumblr_n13zzak9vt1sht10qo1_500.gif

3phemeral

Not to get too metaphysical here - but I think people sharing their experiences helps others to see that they're not alone.

ZgCa5uD.gif

Growing up mixed, I remember on various chat sites where I'd experience the same thing, and my feeling of being unable to identify as Asian/Latino/European was only further reinforced by seeing those same preferences either listed in their profile or flat-out told to be via chat from both sides. "Oh, you're part Asian? Gross." "Oh, you're not full Asian. Gross." "Oh, you look Latino. I don't like Latino guys." And this was growing up in Los Angeles.

Man, those were tough years. You get into some pretty unfortunate situations just trying to feel attractive and wanted by anyone, let alone dealing with rejection from your family after coming out. It's not a healthy environment.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Excellent post.

Kevyt

I think I just came up with the perfect workout routine for those who have a partner/girlfriend/boyfriend/husband or wife!

- Pushups with your partner on top of you. That would be challanging, but if anyone can get five pushups with the extra weight of their beloved one, then my hat is off to them!

- Planking. Again, this would be with your partner on top of you. Planking for thirty seconds is quite a challenge even among strong individuals, so planking with someone else on top of you would be even more challenging!.

- Squats with your partner. Carry your beloved one as you squat your way to have that bottom that you always desired!

- Carrying and running with your partner. Not piggybacking but carrying your partner in a way that you can run for two miles nonstop to build up that stamina and legs.

- Hip thrust. Instead of hip thrusting a bar with weights, you could hip thrust your partner! Essentially your partner would be on you, as you are hip thrusting.

Variation of hip thrust:

giphy.gif

I can't wait to have a boyfriend to try that out!

As far as males go, working out with your partner is supposed to release more testosterone so you can work out harder and have an intense workout.

So that covers upper body, lower body, cardio and some strength based exercises, all in one. All you need is you and your beloved one.

Those of you that already have your boos should definitely try it. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Those of you with no boyfriend or girlfriend or friend with benefit, well... I feel bad for you.

A pet can also help motivate you to work out too!

200.gif

No pets? Well I feel even more bad for you. Maybe listening to this will help.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think the end goal of the conversation/discussion is to change a person's mind but rather, to be open and have a dialogue about this "perceived" issue some of us have with racial preferences/prejudices in the dating scene.

Congratulations on becoming a full member!

OMG sis you're playing it? It's so amazing. I can't recall but I feel like I beat him first try, but not the second boss. Good luck.
I got it because it was on sale and fuck it's so good.
the gameplay slays
the presentation slays
the music slays
the atmosphere slays

it's hard as shit but I made it pretty far in Strange Journey so I can do it again. SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked is on sale tomorrow so I'm giving Atlus my coins for that too

I need to replay SMT4 for a Neutral run in anticipation for SMT4 Final. SUCH a good game, even if it does get easier than I expect for a Megaten game. That soundtrack...I've done a lot of thinking and it MAY be my favorite game soundtrack.

If you've only beaten Minotaur, then trust me, the OST only gets better and better from here. Definitely my favorite rendition of Tokyo in the city too. It gets the perfect balance of feeling torn apart and alive at the same time. only the first SMT comes close.

Kater

Banned

Loving yourself is the best shield against that, yeah. Takes a long time for some to really be able to do that. Some are just stuck in an environment where they are constantly put down, never even able to get to that point of self-acceptance.

Good post though, and very insightful.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the single player campaign in Splatoon. Gah, that game has so much style! I did not expect the final boss to be what it was at all (and to be themed like it was), and yet it made perfect sense for what the developers were going for. Might put together a LTTP thread to talk about the entire campaign. I'm beginning to think that I'll never go online with the game, yet I still feel satisfied by my experience with it.

I hope Nintendo puts out more new games like this. It just has a great sense of energy. Its creative spirit was kind of inspiring.

I recommend it to anyone in here with a Wii U that enjoys tactical action.

Koppai

We picked up the correct size rings that we ordered so all we had to do was exchange the others.

We still don't have suits, photographer, or the cake ordered. So last minute omg...<_>;

Sounds like another friend is helping out with tables and chairs so this is very helpful. Hoping the other person doesn't flake out on the food or we will be really fucked.

RM8

the gameplay slays
the presentation slays
the music slays
the atmosphere slays

it's hard as shit but I made it pretty far in Strange Journey so I can do it again. SMT Devil Survivor Overclocked is on sale tomorrow so I'm giving Atlus my coins for that too
I need to buy it at some point before the physical version becomes super rare.

VegiHam

the gameplay slays
the presentation slays
the music slays
the atmosphere slays

I just started playing this this week too! Think I'm a boss ahead of you though. It's my first real SMT game and it's kicking my ass...

RM8

My only SMT experience was with Soul Hackers... and I didn't even finish it. I keep reading IV is much better and Soul Hackers is too dated, so who knows, I might like it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Ugh, that sucks. I absolutely despise getting sick. I hope it's not too bad.

My lips look kinda reddish and my eyes feel like they are burning with the fever. I wont sleep tonight and eventually crash in the day. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Managed to sleep from 5-7. I don't feel the fever at the moment but as expected I feel really tired, some body ache (mostly my back and legs) and my throat still hurts. Im sure I'll crash in some hours in the middle of the day later on and I should be getting some meds today since we didn't had anything over here yesterday.

My only SMT experience was with Soul Hackers... and I didn't even finish it. I keep reading IV is much better and Soul Hackers is too dated, so who knows, I might like it.

I adored Soul Hackers (my avatar is actually from Soul Hackers, haha) but I'm a big SMT fanboy. Besides the voice acting, 3d and a few other things, it's a port of a PSX game and it shows. If you prefer something more modern gameplaywise then SMT4 should better fit the bill.

What is everyone doing for halloween!? :D

My boyfriend and I will be Adam and stEVE, or GOT characters.

I don't have any Halloween plans. I work overnight so I'll likely be working on the day itself, but if I have another car by then I'll try to at least go out to the city around that timeframe. Then buy some discount candy because my sweet tooth can be pretty bad sometimes.

DOWN

Banned
I thought your whole premise was that racial preferences are just preferences that do not warrant someone the label of a racist?

Hence my last post, unless I'm misunderstanding.
Nope. Definitely didn't write that it is "just preferences" and wrote a whole lot else. I asked you if you felt terming someone a racist is appropriate based on them saying they have a tendency toward any race(s) in their attractions. For example, you now call Geo a racist like Robido for his post higher on this page (and partially quoted below) or no? I think some people with those "preferences" as you are broadly mentioning can have serious racist attitudes on a much wider scale so I'm sort of surprised you keep generalizing my posts suggesting that I said racial preferences are just that as if you didn't see all of my posts. But I admit I think what Geo and RM8 (I mean no trouble using examples) described above on the page doesn't reflect consciously racist attitudes and behavior that I understood to contribute to calling someone racist. They sound like they are as consciously on board as can be with improving racial perceptions in society and having the discussions to do so I am curious to hear thoughts on the distinction that some posters make, but others like Robido do not.

The example before regarding those who say they would have sex with a specific race, but not date that race, for example, sounds like a glimpse at what is likely a variety of racist attitudes, stereotypes, and superiority sentiments at the person would consciously support as description for why they hold that position. Is that what you lump in with racial preferences when you are referring to the term as it relates to my posts? Because I think that example is quite a bit different than what Geo's post describes, and I'll admit my understanding so far of the application of calling someone a racist is similar to his. But you have yet to answer my questions for more insight and opinion on that.
I have never used a dating site/hookup site because I don't desire to date or hookup at all, so my input on that part of your mega post would be rather useless. I did find it interesting to read over though.

ZgCa5uD.gif

Growing up mixed, I remember on various chat sites where I'd experience the same thing, and my feeling of being unable to identify as Asian/Latino/European was only further reinforced by seeing those same preferences either listed in their profile or flat-out told to be via chat from both sides. "Oh, you're part Asian? Gross." "Oh, you're not full Asian. Gross." "Oh, you look Latino. I don't like Latino guys." And this was growing up in Los Angeles.

Man, those were tough years. You get into some pretty unfortunate situations just trying to feel attractive and wanted by anyone, let alone dealing with rejection from your family after coming out. It's not a healthy environment.
Glad to get to read these posts, thanks

RM8

I adored Soul Hackers (my avatar is actually from Soul Hackers, haha) but I'm a big SMT fanboy. Besides the voice acting, 3d and a few other things, it's a port of a PSX game and it shows. If you prefer something more modern gameplaywise then SMT4 should better fit the bill.
I loved the atmosphere, and I usually have a very high tolerance for dated games, but at some point the game lost me :( Maybe I'll give it another chance. And yeah, SMT4 looks much more newbie-friendly.
---

In other news, most Russians want homosexuals killed or isolated:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/538389.html

So it's not just the government, I guess :(

I loved the atmosphere, and I usually have a very high tolerance for dated games, but at some point the game lost me :( Maybe I'll give it another chance. And yeah, SMT4 looks much more newbie-friendly.
---

In other news, most Russians want homosexuals killed or isolated:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/article/538389.html

So it's not just the government, I guess :(

@Soul Hackers, give it another shot. Difficultywise I didn't find it to be too terrible besides a few spots, and this was on Hard Mode, so I imagine you can keep chipping at Normal mode. The big thing is to keep fusing. This game is one of the last games that used the old-school SMT style where demons can't level, so besides those with an especially good resistance or skillset, they will get outclassed eventually. And don't be afraid to hold back some demons while dungeon crawling so you can spend less Magnetite. Did you get stuck, or just lost with the old school features or dungeon crawling?

@Russia, I can't say I'm surprised. Even in somewhere like Russia, a government is a reflection of its people to a certain extent. Granted the government may have been the spearhead and the people follow it, but still. If Russia's people had been at a consistent tipping point then the government would respond. It's unfortunate that countries like that still have a long way to go on these issues.

mantidor

The Russia situation is a result of making visibility illegal the way they did it. Societies have changed, including the US, thanks to visibility, bit its really hard to have that there since anything gay can be considered "aimed towards children" or whatever that absurd law meant.

The Russia situation is a result of making visibility illegal the way they did it. Societies have changed, including the US, thanks to visibility, bit its really hard to have that there since anything gay can be considered "aimed towards children" or whatever that absurd law meant.

No one told you that all gays were pedophiles? How could you have missed that memo?

RM8

Is this a recent thing for Russia? It's so odd to me, because I associate strong homophobia with very religious populations, but I guess that's not the only way to arrive to it :/

@Soul Hackers, give it another shot. Difficultywise I didn't find it to be too terrible besides a few spots, and this was on Hard Mode, so I imagine you can keep chipping at Normal mode. The big thing is to keep fusing. This game is one of the last games that used the old-school SMT style where demons can't level, so besides those with an especially good resistance or skillset, they will get outclassed eventually. And don't be afraid to hold back some demons while dungeon crawling so you can spend less Magnetite. Did you get stuck, or just lost with the old school features or dungeon crawling?
It's just that at some point I decided it wasn't doing it for me, and I was still really into Luigi's Mansion 2 :p I didn't get rid of it, though, I want to give it another chance, but I feel like I'd definitely enjoy 4 more. On a similar note, I have an unopened copy of Devil Survivor Overclocked that I've been meaning to play for ages, lol. It'd probably be way more my kind of game since I only like a handful of turn based RPGs (usually of the monster catching kind), while I really love SRPGs.

It's just that at some point I decided it wasn't doing it for me, and I was still really into Luigi's Mansion 2 :p I didn't get rid of it, though, I want to give it another chance, but I feel like I'd definitely enjoy 4 more. On a similar note, I have an unopened copy of Devil Survivor Overclocked that I've been meaning to play for ages, lol. It'd probably be way more my kind of game since I only like a handful of turn based RPGs (usually of the monster catching kind), while I really love SRPGs.
Just remember that the Devil Survivor games are actually a turn based/SRPG hybrid. You move on a grid in an SRPG fashion and there's moves that affecr grid movement. But when it's time to fight, it's done with your team fighting the enemies team in up to 2 rounds of turnbased combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom