• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mask

@Razmos: I'm jealous :'( You better meet that cute half-italian guy again and hang out. I hope that he is gay, but worst case scenario it sounds like you may have met a possible nice new friend. Let's hope it won't stop at that though ;-)

@Mask: Man, don't feel bad. You're not a dick (unless you actively try to sabotage their relationship, and it seems the other guy is doing that just fine by himself). Obviously your friend has had enough with his long-distance relationship (seriously? The guy throws thantrums and avoids answering questions about his relationship with your friend? I'm amazed your friend didn't ditch him sooner), but wants to do things correctly, by the book (also, he still has feelings for the other guy, otherwise he would have left him already). Let your friend sorts out his feelings and hope he ends this relationship.
That being said, careful: you may not want to end up in a long-distance relationship yourself. I hope that you and your friend are on the same wavelength.

Yeah, no way in hell will I interfere, because, as you said, the other guy really is doing that all by himself. I can see how pissed my friend is, how much time he's put in and the other guy won't commit, which is all he wants. I pretty much know how it's going to end; my friend is gonna get hurt when the other guy throws another tantrum and won't commit, and I really don't want that.

Yeah, I'll be careful. But I really don't mind being in a long-distance relationship with him, it's pretty much what I want, considering I'd be more than willing to commit to that.

tumblr_mxi0a3kS921qee6wmo3_r4_250.gif

Kevyt

Razmos, I hope that guy is nonstraight for your sake! :D

Yet you've potentially made a good friend if things don't work out.

But in the meantime go for it tiger~ woof woof, I mean rawr. :3

Gaf, I think I need a piece of advice and this thread seems the most plausible one. I know that the non-written norm usually says "ask a friend!" but… I can't and now I will be explaining why (although a friend of mine browses neogaf, so Hi! just in case).

First of all:
Your gender? Female
Your sexual orientation? This the problem that I want to discuss
Where Are You From? Spain
Where Do You Live? Madrid
How Old Are you? 24
Favorite Type of Music? Electronic music
Profession or Career interest? Translation but… I dunno anymore.
Favorite video game(s)? Plenty, although Super Metroid is always the first game that comes to my mind
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? The common stuff! Really, I like lots of activities.

So for two-three years, my mind has been a mess. I broke up with my ex-boyfriend around that date because, to be honest, I was not interested in him any longer. I could not bring myself to be sexually attracted (and he didn't change a bit) and I was tired of other things unrelated to my current issue. In other words: I was relieved (even though he is a good guy).
After that, I decided to focus solely on my degree, English Level exam, and the pair of languages that as to this day I still learn (which consume a lot of time). I was doing fine so far with my head always busy.

But said degree is coming to an end soon and, do not know why, lately I cannot do anything but think of my love life (or lack of thereof) because (I believe) I like women: I have lost interest (in general) in men and het romances found in fiction works, I mostly read lesbian novels or yuri (apart from Sci-fi novels!), and the list goes on and on. The problem is though, that I am at loss: on one hand I think it would be easier to find the right girl if I just admit that I am attracted to them, but I am scared and I do not think I would be taken seriously due to my last relationship. On the other hand, being so closeted is just making me feel… sad and I am about to give up completely on finding a suitable partner.

I thought of signing up for one of those websites that let you get in contact with other people of the same sexual orientation (the ones that are popular in my country) because I am not the extrovert type, but there is something always holding me back (shyness?) and I have never done something like this. Also, I find immensely hard to find lesbian or bi girls in my daily life (I haven't got Facebook or Twitter).

What should I do? :(

Sorry to bother you with these (mostly) self-esteem and confidence problems, I found really hard to write this post and click on the submit reply button. Thank you gaffers in any case!

Hi Jacqui welcome to the thread~

Don't feel too obliged to identify in any way just live your life to the fullest (I know that sounds cliché). You'll meet many people throughout your life, some will steal your heart and others you'll steal their heart~

It's the cycle of life.

For that is my prophesy~ :3

Razmos

Razmos, I hope that guy is nonstraight for your sake! :D

Yet you've potentially made a good friend if things don't work out.

But in the meantime go for it tiger~ woof woof, I mean rawr. :3
I've been thinking about it, and I think even if he is straight and nothing comes of it, it has at least renewed my hope that one day I might just run into the absolute perfect guy in the unlikeliest of places, and that stuff like this really can happen.

I thought of signing up for one of those websites that let you get in contact with other people of the same sexual orientation (the ones that are popular in my country) because I am not the extrovert type, but there is something always holding me back (shyness?) and I have never done something like this. Also, I find immensely hard to find lesbian or bi girls in my daily life (I haven't got Facebook or Twitter).

Give the apps a try. I struggle with shyness (social anxiety) too, but remember that there's going to be people like you on the apps as well. Try to seek them out. It'll be a lot easier if you meet someone in the same situation. Believe me, most people struggle with this stuff just as much as you do.

Meeting new people is always risky and requires a lot of vulnerability, especially for shy people. Try to remember if you have a bad experience (which might not even happen) that it was a lousy date with a person who isn't right for you, and resist the urge to beat yourself up over it, or agonize over what you did wrong.

Haven't done the IBQ yet, so here's me.

Your gender? Male
Your sexual orientation? Gay
Where Are You From? Minnesota
Where Do You Live? Same place
How Old Are you? 33 yrs
Favorite Type of Music? Anything dramatic and emotional up to and past the point of cheesiness
Profession or Career interest? Programmer
Favorite video game(s)? All the Zeldas especially the 2D ones. Link's Awakening is still my favorite game but the UI makes it hard to go back to. I like Metal Gear and some RPGs but at this point I'm only in the Nintendo ecosystem because I feel like MS and Sony are going after a different demographic that I'm not a member of. (and I'm not into PC gaming at all)
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Bicycling, hiking, learning to draw, I want to start camping. Trying to read more fiction and non-work related books but that's not going so well.

Gaf, I think I need a piece of advice and this thread seems the most plausible one. I know that the non-written norm usually says "ask a friend!" but… I can't and now I will be explaining why (although a friend of mine browses neogaf, so Hi! just in case).

First of all:
Your gender? Female
How Old Are you? 24
Favorite video game(s)? Plenty, although Super Metroid is always the first game that comes to my mind
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? The common stuff! Really, I like lots of activities.

So for two-three years, my mind has been a mess. I broke up with my ex-boyfriend around that date because, to be honest, I was not interested in him any longer. I could not bring myself to be sexually attracted (and he didn't change a bit) and I was tired of other things unrelated to my current issue. In other words: I was relieved (even though he is a good guy).
After that, I decided to focus solely on my degree, English Level exam, and the pair of languages that as to this day I still learn (which consume a lot of time). I was doing fine so far with my head always busy.

But said degree is coming to an end soon and, do not know why, lately I cannot do anything but think of my love life (or lack of thereof) because (I believe) I like women: I have lost interest (in general) in men and het romances found in fiction works, I mostly read lesbian novels or yuri (apart from Sci-fi novels!), and the list goes on and on. The problem is though, that I am at loss: on one hand I think it would be easier to find the right girl if I just admit that I am attracted to them, but I am scared and I do not think I would be taken seriously due to my last relationship. On the other hand, being so closeted is just making me feel… sad and I am about to give up completely on finding a suitable partner.

What should I do? :(

Sorry to bother you with these (mostly) self-esteem and confidence problems, I found really hard to write this post and click on the submit reply button. Thank you gaffers in any case!
Yo! I just wanted to say that there's more labels beyong gay/lesbian/straight. Maybe you're Bi? Sexuality is kind of complicated sometimes and you might not feel comfortable calling yourself straight or gay. Anyway, welcome to the thread! I hope you find the answers you're looking for but try to enjoy your life without worrying about what to label yourself too much.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ANYWAY.
GayGAF, I have a story to tell you.

i got really excited for you for a second but then i remembered straight people existed

at least you made a friend if nothing else

First of all:
Your gender? Female
How Old Are you? 24
What are your hobbies (o

Haven't done the IBQ yet, so here's me.

Your gender? Male
Your sexual orientation? Gay
Where Are You From? Minnesota
Where Do You Live? Same place
How Old Are you? 33 yrs
Favorite Type of Music? Anything dramatic and emotional up to and past the point of cheesiness
Profession or Career interest? Programmer
Favorite video game(s)? All the Zeldas especially the 2D ones. Link's Awakening is still my favorite game but the UI makes it hard to go back to. I like Metal Gear and some RPGs but at this point I'm only in the Nintendo ecosystem because I feel like MS and Sony are going after a different demographic that I'm not a member of. (and I'm not into PC gaming at all)
What are your hobbies (other than gaming)? Bicycling, hiking, learning to draw, I want to start camping. Trying to read more fiction and non-work related books but that's not going so well.

( ̄▽ ̄)ノ Welcome~

Lol. Had oral surgery (minor stuff) and thought I'd be back to eating whatever I wanted in 3 days. Nope, 10 days. 10 days of yogurt, pudding, soup... I'm going to kill myself, provided I don't die of malnutrition before then.

Erebus

How do you get rid of that one person in your life who you love immensely but yet you know is hurting you emotionally (most likely unintentionally)?

I know it's a decision I have to make eventually but I just can't. :((

I don't know if I'm making any sense, I just feel really shitty right now and I'm slightly drunk.

Yeah it actually isn't really painful. Novocaine did wonders during the procedure. Prescription strength ibuprofen is working well enough after.

Kevyt

How do you get rid of that one person in your life who you love immensely but yet you know is hurting you emotionally (most likely unintentionally)?

I don't know if I'm making any sense, I just feel really shitty right now and I'm slightly drunk.

With time... Sometimes you can't let go of someone right away. Sometimes it's a gradual process.

But always remember that sometimes it's best to keep a distance from someone you really love for the best of both. It's hard, its not easy but such is the way of love~

Best of luck.

Dany

Banned
I have a mouth huard yetvmy gums are still receding :(

Whats everyone in the states doigvfor thanksiving? Ill be at the hospital with my ma and pa, hopijg hem's better. Then ill head to my boyfriends place. Generally there would be a massive family thing; but im not goinng there at all.

Also we're going to st. Louis...whats there to do in st. Louis lol

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Whats everyone in the states doigvfor thanksiving? Ill be at the hospital with my ma and pa, hopijg hem's better. Then ill head to my boyfriends place. Generally there would be a massive family thing; but im not goinng there at all.

I'll be helping with the turkey and dinner with Mom, Dad and bro. Nothing special really except the turkey, potato salad and rice with pigeon peas.

3phemeral

With time... Sometimes you can't let go of someone right away. Sometimes it's a gradual process.

But always remember that sometimes it's best to keep a distance from someone you really love for the best of both. It's hard, its not easy but such is the way of love~

Best of luck.

I agree. I've been in both types of situations and a lot of it is just growing pains. You learn what you won't digest and vow to never experience it again, so you seek out a relationship with more specific criteria.

Partner and I won't be flying back home this year and likely won't be visiting friends like last, so we're winging it and having our own thing. I'll be making cranberry sauce, garlic mash, and a brown sugar sweet potato dish while he'll be handling the turkey and other extras. It'll be the last year in Michigan so we won't sweat it. Heading back to Cali in July so will be happy to be with family again.

Hoping your situation gets better and you enjoy your Thanksgiving.

You've likely constructed an illusion of this person in your mind. A part of it is realizing what you get from the illusion, and another part is dismantling the illusion through a series of hypothetical 'what ifs'. What if he's disappointing or secretly kinda of mean, what if you had him but he cheats on you and makes you miserable, etc. They don't even have to be that realistic, it's just a mental exercise for seeing that our affections are contingent on so many things that we just gloss over or take for granted. Strip those away and you aren't left with nearly the same impetus to hold a torch for someone or whatever.

yepyepyep

Is anyone planning on seeing Carol? I hadn't heard of this movie prior to release, but it seems like it's doing quite well critically. I admit that sometimes I have a hard time connecting with lesbian romances (is this just me?), but I'm interested in this because of its reception. Here's a trailer.

I am quite hyped for it. Todd Haynes is one of my favourite contemporary directors. [Safe] and Far from Heaven are amazing. His slightly creepy earlier work like Poison and Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story are also rad.

He is an interesting gay director because he deals with broader themes about the social context behind identities rather than just purely gay romance. Gets great performances out of his female leads as well.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
We should put together a lettersGAF cookbook of tasty treats and sexy sweets. I vote for RatskyWatsky to be the editor based on the interest stated above. It can accompany the release of our calendar.

Delio

Family dinner as always. Only with close family tho ( Grandparents,Aunt and her kids) Dont really care about my extended family at all.

Making a mac and cheese dish I saw that is very different from my Spicy Mac I make every thanksgiving. Also a Pumpkin Cheesecake if I get the stuff for it.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure how I feel about the Zoolander 2 boycott regarding Benedict Cumberbatch's character.

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CL4LNWHegk

Here's the petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/549/...ive-representation-of-non-binary-individuals/

My hesitation about the boycott is mostly that Benedict Cumberbatch's character is in the trailer for 10 seconds. I see how it is offensive, and for all that is known, Benedict Cumberbatch's character could end up being the worst of all tropes, perhaps some kind of villain who dies horrifically. Personally, in that brief scene, I see Cumberbatch's character as being the only competent/intelligent person while also still having the larger-than-life personas that everyone has; I'm not really sure how to interpret the laugh and "oops" from Cumberbatch, but my best guess is that it's a "Haha, you're so funny...not" kind of moment. Depending on how the scene progresses beyond Stiller's/Owen's question, I could see Stiller/Owen being shamed by Cumberbatch for their invasive inquiry. Or it could go completely south and Cumberbatch's gender identity is the focus of every joke. The thing is that we're only given 10 seconds from a trailer.

Whoever edited the trailer presented a character who represents a stigmatized and extremely vulnerable population without any context. I've seen some interpret the joke of the scene as being Cumberbatch's character; I've seen others read the joke as being Stiller's and Owen's ignorant characters. If the editor wanted to introduce the character, I think the better choice would have been to show a silent shot (and allow the full movie to introduce the character) or a different interaction not revolving around the gender identity of the character. Controversy over the character with this cut was almost inevitable. Even with the full film, I'm sure the character will still be controversial because comedy is messy and people disagree over what positive examples of representation are.

I don't have any particular attachment to the franchise—I've never seen the original and don't currently plan on seeing the sequel—nor do I really like Stiller, Owen, or Cumberbatch (though I do like Ferrell and Wiig). I wouldn't mind if the movie flopped. I support people's right to boycott, and I wouldn't push anyone to go see it. It's now up to the studio to clarify (if they choose) how Cumberbatch's character plays into the story of the movie. I want to support my trans*, genderqueer, and genderfluid friends. But I just don't know how to feel about judgments being made over 10 seconds of footage.

One last note (taken from the petition):

If the producers and screenwriters of Zoolander wanted to provide social commentary on the presence of trans/androgyne individuals in the fashion industry, they could have approached models like Andreja Pejic to be in the film. By hiring a cis actor to play a non-binary individual in a clearly negative way, they film endorses harmful and dangerous perceptions of the queer community at large.

I find the question of "who can play whom?" to be an interesting one in acting. It seems that, generally, race is considered something that should be consistent between actor/actress and character. I suppose cis gender identities has always been seen this way, too. Are non-binary gender identities part of this group? Similarly, should we be more concerned when straight actors play queer?

Just some initial thoughts. I'd be happy to have my mind changed and listen to whatever anyone here has to say.

Jacqli

Woah, so many responses. I am just… astonished and grateful. :)

( ̄▽ ̄)ノ Welcome~
Thank you!

Yo! I just wanted to say that there's more labels beyong gay/lesbian/straight. Maybe you're Bi? Sexuality is kind of complicated sometimes and you might not feel comfortable calling yourself straight or gay. Anyway, welcome to the thread! I hope you find the answers you're looking for but try to enjoy your life without worrying about what to label yourself too much.

I think part of the problem is that I have never been that interested in love and such. I remember playing games with my best pal during highschool's term while other friends were already talking about sex and relationships. I am not saying that I am completely oblivious but… my background plays a big role I believe.

Give the apps a try. I struggle with shyness (social anxiety) too, but remember that there's going to be people like you on the apps as well. Try to seek them out. It'll be a lot easier if you meet someone in the same situation. Believe me, most people struggle with this stuff just as much as you do.

Meeting new people is always risky and requires a lot of vulnerability, especially for shy people. Try to remember if you have a bad experience (which might not even happen) that it was a lousy date with a person who isn't right for you, and resist the urge to beat yourself up over it, or agonize over what you did wrong.
Welcome to the club of shyness. Agh, I think Woody Allen once said that if he wouldn't have been so shy, he would be more successful. And, even though I like a pair of his films, he is completely right.

Probably that is one of the aspects that are holding me back. Rejection is always a serious blow hard to swallow because it might make you ask questions that you shouldn't. After reading all these posts, I am conviced that the anwser lies in my lack of confidence.

Hi Jacqui welcome to the thread~

Don't feel too obliged to identify in any way just live your life to the fullest (I know that sounds cliché). You'll meet many people throughout your life, some will steal your heart and others you'll steal their heart~

It's the cycle of life.

For that is my prophesy~ :3
Thank you for the recommendation! And I am trying now! It is just hard sometimes to follow that motto because we (my family) have suffered several consequences of the current crisis. But nowadays the situation has improved considerably

Hi Jacqli!

Welcome to the thread! I think you should find a way of socially connecting with women interested in women and be honest with them that you're new to this and still trying to figure stuff out. Sexual/romantic identity is not always simple and it can change with time, too. Worry about yourself before you worry about how others will interpret your past and present behavior. I'm not sure how Madrid is regarding LGBT issues and the size of its LGBT community, but I hope it won't present any barriers to you exploring this aspect of yourself. Perhaps it may even offer places where you can talk to people and get advice.

Don't get caught up in "implications"; for a bit, just try to live in the moment and see where it takes you. You may end up right where you started or somewhere you'd never expect. Good luck! :)

Please feel free to keep posting here as you start to find answers or more questions.
You are completely right, I am a bit obsessed with "labels" because my whole family is straight as an arrow (or I am not aware of) so every birthday party starts with same repetitive question: when are you going to find a boyfriend (like your sister)? They do not mean harm, but I do not need more problems in my love life!

And thank you, I will!

Hey, Jacqli! Dont get so caught up in "what" you are. Its all just labels that dont actually do any good for you. Sexuality is thought to exist on a continuum anyways. Some are more inclined to find the same sex than others. Dont feel like you have to decide on guys or girls. Just explore what youre feeling.

I think finding a more respectable dating (not hookup) site and start conversations. Find someone who genuinely has a rapport with you and talk about your experiences. Having a friend to talk about your anxieties will help. When youre comfortable enough maybe you can meet in public.

Dont worry about defining your sexuality. Theres nothing wrong with exploring your sexuality. And if women dont do it for you thats okay too. Put yourself out there a little and gauge the response. And of course you always have GAF to chat with.

Yeah, I think I went straight to the labels instead of just trying to discover myself. I have so many thoughts accumulated from these past years that I am not even sure if I am expressing them correctly.

And after reading all your comments, yeah, I should totally sign up. The problem is that everything is so unknown: dating websites, taking the initiative, doubts and more doubts, where to go… Like, I should reset my previous opinions and thoughts and restart fresh in this new stage of my life instead of keeping them the whole time.

I experienced a very similar sort of thing to what you're going through, although my personal awakening was about ten years earlier than yours and layered on top of the innumerable confusions produced by puberty. It also lasted...well...a whole lot longer before I finally came to terms with myself and what I wanted. Full disclosure: I'm bisexual, having enjoyed sex with both men and women, but much more strongly attracted to the latter. I'm not really great at dispensing advice, so I'll put things in the most helpful way that I can. I don't think anyone can really make any decisions about your sexuality besides yourself, so it may even be that you'll realize none of this applies, but I hope it can be of use to you if it does.

Frankly, in real world settings not specifically meant for dating, it's hard to meet girls and even harder to date them. This is especially true if you're used to the mode of dating where you, as a [presumed at the time] straight girl, nearly always wait for men to make the first move. It's hard to carry that mentality into dating women, even gay/bi women, who oftentimes are going to have that same mentality as well thanks to cultural conditioning. I know because I've been there. Women are just not socialized to be forward and forthcoming and confident when it comes to matters of sexuality and romance. Even where mutual interest exists (and sometimes, it does!) each woman will always be waiting for the other to make the first move. Sometimes, that might have to be you. It sucks, especially, if you're shy and not used to breaking out of that mold.

The most important thing is that you don't give up before you've even tried. Friends are a good avenue to consult, and even if you don't feel like you have any right now that would or could help you, you can always make more- and this can be good practice and baby steps for putting yourself out there on a romantic level, too. Gay friends, in particular, will understand a large part of what you feel like and can function as both a sympathetic ear and great wingmen and a great avenue into meeting other people (and possibly romantic partners) in the community. I suspect that in your particular situation, online websites and apps will help immensely, and at the very least they will let you know that lesbian and bi girls /do/ exist and that it's not a totally hopeless scene. I'd say go for it, with the caveat that not everyone finds success in love on these things and it is no mark against you if you don't - but hey, it's a start.

Oh, and there are always going to be some really bitter gold star gays who'll resent you for having ever dated a man, but they're a minority of a minority and my best advice is to steer clear of that hurtful mentality as best you can for your own sake. The open secret is that plenty of lesbians dated and/or had sex with one or more men - for various reasons but often down to simple social pressure - before coming to conclusions about their sexuality, too.

Also, this is just for my own curiosity as a fellow translator, but what languages were/are you studying? I am assuming Spanish is your first, and your English is obviously excellent. :) Are those the two you're referring to or are there others?
Hi, partner in career!

Your post is incredibly enlightening! Thank you for sharing your personal experience. And I cannot imagine the combination of sexuality and puberty at the same. Glad that you could come to terms in that department.

The second paragraph is of special interest: because I feel like I just made my life a bit more complicated. I know that we do not choose our sexuality, but I already have to deal with my shyness and this is just another thing to the pile of (social) problems.
It is exactly as you mentioned: I do not take the lead or initiative. And now I feel like, unless I move, everything is gone to remain in the same way.

One of my friends is (male) gay and we talk from time to time about relationships (I usually joke around with "who would like to go out with me?"). He is the only one that know that, at least, I am interested in women. But we haven't talked properly and any further about this and, right now, he is dealing with his own issues and embarking in a new relationship so I do not want to be the center of attention. I should probably just focus on my studies this last month and a half and, as a New Year's resolution, I will try to sign up in dating websites and be more honest with myself (that and stop bitting my nails).

Gold star gays. :p I hope you are right and they are a minority because I do not regret it given that I learnt a lot from the experience regarding feelings, how to carry a relationship… I cannot change the past after all, although your words are reassuring.

As to the last question, I am currently endu… learning German and Japanese. As you said, Spanish is my mother tongue and English is simply a key tool in my life, which nowadays I am trying to improve rather than studying the basics as I do with the other two. I mean, there are so many English books, films, TV shows, content on the Internet… that, unless you are not interested in anything at all, you have to learn it forcibly!

What about you? And thanks for the compliment. :)

Sorry for the long post, but what the heck, you all are so nice that I had to answer each post!

And, on an unrelated note, I am looking forward to Zoolander 2. I am the worst kind of human being, but I love these films a la Austin Powers. I can't help it. :(

Also: good luck, Razmos! The beginning of whatever will end up being is, at least, beautiful. :)

You are completely right, I am a bit obsessed with "labels" because my whole family is straight as an arrow (or I am not aware of) so every birthday party starts with same repetitive question: when are you going to find a boyfriend (like your sister)? They do not mean harm, but I do not need more problems in my love life!
I think a lot of people feel like this, but I would say don't worry about what your family thinks and date who you want to date. It might cause problems early on but you might be happier in the long run. But that is just me.

Also I'm also learning German.

Razmos

I added him on facebook
really-sweating.gif

His facebook doesn't say whether he's into men or women which is a pretty good sign. (or maybe it does but I can't see that yet)

It doesn't say on mine either, but if he scrolls down he will see the "In a relationship with -bastard ex boyfriend-" from last year so, eh.

Either way, eeeeek

Ekai

Hi LettersGaf.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Zoolander 2 boycott regarding Benedict Cumberbatch's character.

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CL4LNWHegk

Here's the petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/549/...ive-representation-of-non-binary-individuals/

My hesitation about the boycott is mostly that Benedict Cumberbatch's character is in the trailer for 10 seconds. I see how it is offensive, and for all that is known, Benedict Cumberbatch's character could end up being the worst of all tropes, perhaps some kind of villain who dies horrifically. Personally, in that brief scene, I see Cumberbatch's character as being the only competent/intelligent person while also still having the larger-than-life personas that everyone has; I'm not really sure how to interpret the laugh and "oops" from Cumberbatch, but my best guess is that it's a "Haha, you're so funny...not" kind of moment. Depending on how the scene progresses beyond Stiller's/Owen's question, I could see Stiller/Owen being shamed by Cumberbatch for their invasive inquiry. Or it could go completely south and Cumberbatch's gender identity is the focus of every joke. The thing is that we're only given 10 seconds from a trailer.

Whoever edited the trailer presented a character who represents a stigmatized and extremely vulnerable population without any context. I've seen some interpret the joke of the scene as being Cumberbatch's character; I've seen others read the joke as being Stiller's and Owen's ignorant characters. If the editor wanted to introduce the character, I think the better choice would have been to show a silent shot (and allow the full movie to introduce the character) or a different interaction not revolving around the gender identity of the character. Controversy over the character with this cut was almost inevitable. Even with the full film, I'm sure the character will still be controversial because comedy is messy and people disagree over what positive examples of representation are.

I don't have any particular attachment to the franchise—I've never seen the original and don't currently plan on seeing the sequel—nor do I really like Stiller, Owen, or Cumberbatch (though I do like Ferrell and Wiig). I wouldn't mind if the movie flopped. I support people's right to boycott, and I wouldn't push anyone to go see it. It's now up to the studio to clarify (if they choose) how Cumberbatch's character plays into the story of the movie. I want to support my trans*, genderqueer, and genderfluid friends. But I just don't know how to feel about judgments being made over 10 seconds of footage.

One last note (taken from the petition):

I find the question of "who can play whom?" to be an interesting one in acting. It seems that, generally, race is considered something that should be consistent between actor/actress and character. I suppose cis gender identities has always been seen this way, too. Are non-binary gender identities part of this group? Similarly, should we be more concerned when straight actors play queer?

Just some initial thoughts. I'd be happy to have my mind changed and listen to whatever anyone here has to say.

There was a topic on this a few days ago in OT. Put a lot of fair thought into my post and of course my response was ignored by all but one person who outright ignored what I actually said in my posts in an attempt to paint me as someone trying to force people to dislike Zoolander 2.

And there was a lot of "I am a straight cis-male, let me explain to you why this isn't even the least bit potentially offensive, you stupid PC outragers" and "Why should we care about any trans issue when gay guys are being killed in Africa!" so yea, I was pretty damn annoyed at that.

Not that I don't care about my gay brethren, I do and those accusations were illogical and outrageous on numerous levels. But it seems that whenever any trans issue (no matter the severity) is brought up pretty much anywhere, it's explicitly-ignored or forcibly changed to a topic that someone else would much prefer. Often in some sick attempt to accuse the trans person of "not caring" about an issue that has nothing to do with the current topic of discussion. All that tells me that those people don't care about the trans-issue in the first place. So, I appreciate you mentioning it at the very least......Even when trans murder is discussed someone can't help but bring up a issue for gay cis-males instead in an attempt to shove us under the rug (or they outright ignore it when it's brought up or ignore it after claiming they can discuss both issues at the same time to just cover the issue they want to discuss) and just fuck that topic so much.

First a post I quoted and then some of my thoughts from a longer post c/p'd from the other topic: "I would agree if Cumberbatch's character wasn't so ludicrous by design. The way you do that kind of joke is that you have someone like Zoolander say something horribly inappropriate about something that the general audience gets is wrong. Since trans is still considered odd and weird to a lot of people, it doesn't (in my opinion) come off as a joke on the expense of Zoolander, but more a joke on the expense of both of them.

If the same situation was with like gay people, it would've been a normal dude who happened to be gay, and Zoolander would say something horribly shallow and ridiculous, while the gay man would just stand there baffled, and answer like he doesn't know if Zoolander is for real or not. In that situation, Zoolander is beneath him in normalcy and intelligence. Comparatively, the situation as portrayed in the trailer, has them both on the same level of ridiculousness which kind of defeats the joke."

"Are there more important trans/non-binary issues? Yes. Absolutely. But it's still important to consider because of the harmful stereotypes and acceptable attitude in response it portrays of trans/non-binary issues. If the full movie handles this subject matter differently is another matter to be seen but the excerpt we see in the trailer reads as Fudgepuppy argued above. But the immediate attempts to dismiss any concerns trans people have tells me there's still not enough empathy or information in the hands of those doing such things. I would and do hope that those expressing these attitudes will learn a bit more about these matters before telling us trans people that we have no right to be even mildly annoyed over something like a trite and lazy punchline that has been used a thousand times to marginalize us."

Basically, I don't mind/support the petition as I am extremely tired of the lazy jokes made at the expense of trans/non-binary people and because those 'jokes' perpetuate attitudes that are harmful but the full-movie may reveal something different as the current context treats All horribly. I liked the first movie so I hope that the later is the case but the current context provides understandable outrage to me.

As for what actors can play what: I don't necessarily mind a cis person playing a trans person, so long as they treat the job seriously and with grace. As someone who works in the arts, I understand and know the process for actors. A good actor can play most anything just fine depending on the method used for acting. That being said, I also wouldn't mind if actors who come from more marginalized areas of society got a chance to work as well. In any capacity really, not just as their identity but others as well.

Most of what I would say was mentioned in the first response to your post. All I would add is that self-motivation/belief is going to do wonders to help you find people you'd want to date. Just know you're awesome and take the dive. Of course, you'd need to know sites to go to first and honestly I haven't used much of any site myself so I can't 100% be helpful there. Wish I could. But confidence in yourself is going to make things a lot easier. Hang-ups are understandable considering but I think you'll make it through. Lots of people are just looking for the same thing you are, companionship, so having that understanding is already going to work wonders really.

I added him on facebook
really-sweating.gif

His facebook doesn't say whether he's into men or women which is a pretty good sign. (or maybe it does but I can't see that yet)

It doesn't say on mine either, but if he scrolls down he will see the "In a relationship with -bastard ex boyfriend-" from last year so, eh.

Either way, eeeeek

AUmiUOx.jpg

I really envy people who get outraged about Zoolander 2. They must have a lot of free time to get so worked up about such a frivolous thing. Honestly, it reminds me of groups like One Million Moms. Anybody whose seen the first one knows that Owen Wilson's character is an idiot. That's the joke. Its not a joke on transgendered people.

When there is outrage against something as trivial as a joke in a movie, it harms the cause of LGBT equality because there are much larger issues that should command our attention.

In Russia, LGBT people cannot organize or express themselves freely. We are beaten and imprisoned simply for who we are.

In Uganda, LGBT people are hunted by angry mobs.

In Iran, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Mauritania LGBT people are subject to a state-sanctioned death penalty.

Even in the United States, there are 28 states where you can be legally fired from your job just for being LGBT. Murders of transgendered people here have increased by an alarming 84%.

And you're worried about a scene in a movie that is supposed to be absurd? Try to get some perspective, please

Razmos

Urh, maybe never mind about that guy :(

I looked at his facebook profile and found he likes a thing called "Simple Pickup" which is exactly what it sounds like, one of those sleazy pickup things where guys discuss "game" and "wingmen" and how it's not the guys fault if a girl rejects him, ect ect.

and it's listed as a "sport"

Jeez. I knew it was too good to be true :(

Urh, maybe never mind about that guy :(

I looked at his facebook profile and found he likes a thing called "Simple Pickup" which is exactly what it sounds like, one of those sleazy pickup things where guys discuss "game" and "wingmen" and how it's not the guys fault if a girl rejects him, ect ect.

and it's listed as a "sport"

Jeez. I knew it was too good to be true :(
bail out bail out i repeat escape before it's too late

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom