• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
Weird question: have any of you ever dated a guy with lots of stretchmarks/noticeable imperfections and such? and if so how much influence did their bodies have on your opinion of them as a romantic interest?

Eh, it wouldn't really make me think any differently if I liked them. I've got them all over my butt so it'd be pretty hypocritical of me to reject someone for having them. They're like tiger stripes ✌🏽️

Kevyt

Eh, it wouldn't really make me think any differently if I liked them. I've got them all over my butt so it'd be pretty hypocritical of me to reject someone for having them. They're like tiger stripes ✌🏽️

Oh I've never thought of them this way...

Oh...

O:

Wow, thanks for all the really good responses guys! I was just thinking last night that yeah it makes sense for people to make a big deal out of noticeable imperfections if all they're looking for is a hook up or whatever but in the case of a romantic relationship I thought they'd eventually matter less. It seems like that's the case most of the time, which is really nice lol.

Wow, thanks for all the really good responses guys! I was just thinking last night that yeah it makes sense for people to make a big deal out of noticeable imperfections if all they're looking for is a hook up or whatever but in the case of a romantic relationship I thought they'd eventually matter less. It seems like that's the case most of the time, which is really nice lol.

The thing about apps like Grindr in relation to our perspectives on attractiveness is they are only allowing us to interact with each other through a sort of tunnel vision, meaning when the only way to market yourself to others is with one single picture, that's the only criteria people are going to evaluate you with. So having stretch marks visible on a Grindr picture is not going to get you very far in an environment where we're relying on very primal criteria. Evaluating your self worth through Grindr et al is really doing a disservice to yourself because people don't use those same criteria when interacting in person. So stretch marks ain't no thang, particularly if you carry positive qualities (be they emotional, physical, etc.) that make you attractive regardless.

I was looking for something totally unrelated but I figured someone here would appreciate this.

hWhnFdf.gif

Rayis

I just watched the movie Der Kreis (The Circle) and I loved it, very interesting film and I found the relationship between Ernst and Robi to be spectacular, it was so adorable how they're still living together happily after all these years, I want a relationship like that. I loved the fact Robi's mom was accepting of his homosexuality in the 50's nonetheless, and she even sewed dresses for him! Great film, highly recommend it if you're looking for a gay historical romance movie/documentary.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to stand with Kater on this one. Hunchback has one of the best soundtracks Menken put together. "Hellfire" probably isn't my favorite from the movie, but I've heard other people call "Hellfire" their favorite, too, so Kater's not alone. However, it would likely never appear on a mainstream list because it's part of a second tier of Disney animated musicals that people don't remember as fondly; others on that list might be The Princess and the Frog and, to a lesser degree but still sadly true, Hercules (a favorite of mine).

Hunchback's soundtrack also is less "musical pop" and more straight-up musical with a really dark tone. The songs don't seem to be written to be catchy or fun. Its most upbeat (and positive) song is still nowhere near songs like The Little Mermaid's "Kiss the Girl" and "Under the Sea." I think that's another reason it doesn't have the popularity other soundtracks have.

Hunchback's animation doesn't look very good in my eyes, perhaps due to the art style they were trying to emulate, so I get why it hasn't survived as well. I mean, compare it against the early pastel backgrounds from Beauty and the Beast and it quickly loses. It's also a dark story (based on an even darker one) where the hero is a deformed man whose life never really noticeably improves, rather than the story of a beautiful girl whose life goes from average to perfect. But that soundtrack holds up very well.

As for my own favorite...I can't make a choice. Depends on the day, and I need a list of at least 20.

how do you always have the best nights ever wtf

I am most ambitious in my laziness!

I'm so happy it's been 40+ in Grand Rapids since that one weekend of snow during thanksgiving; been able to go out in a thin jacket at night. It's a nice change to the onslaught of snow we had everyday for 6 months with practically no dip into melting temperatures until mid Spring. Snow just kept piling up and up. It was a traveling nightmare.

A lot of snowfall is a nightmare for travelling, nothing quite like having your car fishtail in a deep patch of snow, or exerting twice as much effort and spending twice as much time walking literally anywhere. And then there's shovelling, which is nice exercise if you're not getting seriously dumped on, and demoralizing if you are!

The worst thing here though is the freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw cycles. There's that distinct terror you get when all the roads and sidewalks turn into skating rinks, you're lucky not to do a 180 or 360 on the highway and have your whole life flash before your eyes.

Kater

Banned
Also wtf is Kater on with that obscure one. Disney is regarded for pulling on heartstrings and ya pick some growling song that's probably on zero top 10 lists or fan lists besides yours.
Villains have the best songs.

Scar's song (Be Prepared) is 2nd on my Top Ten lists of Disney songs.

I also loved Jafar shooting the lying fake prince into the winds. :3

Wil348

This reminds me that I really need to rewatch some of the Disney renaissance films soon. They're on Netflix so maybe I can do that over Christmas.

DOWN

Banned
iPhone 6/6s/+ looks so nice in person. I was underwhelmed when they first showed it off but it definitely makes the rest of the older models look dated. I'd still say 4 was the finest job they ever did on outer design, but 6 is clearly the onward and upward replacement it should be. Only SONY phones rival Apple in mobile design imo.

Elitist1945

iPhone 6/6s/+ looks so nice in person. I was underwhelmed when they first showed it off but it definitely makes the rest of the older models look dated. I'd still say 4 was the finest job they ever did on outer design, but 6 is clearly the onward and upward replacement it should be. Only SONY phones rival Apple in mobile design imo.

Yeah my Z3 is fucking sexy. Too bad I dropped it and broke the glass lol.

3phemeral

Hunchback's animation doesn't look very good in my eyes, perhaps due to the art style they were trying to emulate, so I get why it hasn't survived as well. I mean, compare it against the early pastel backgrounds from Beauty and the Beast and it quickly loses.
That Hellfire fireplace sequence, though.

A lot of snowfall is a nightmare for travelling, nothing quite like having your car fishtail in a deep patch of snow, or exerting twice as much effort and spending twice as much time walking literally anywhere. And then there's shovelling, which is nice exercise if you're not getting seriously dumped on, and demoralizing if you are!
Thankfully, I've been able to avoid a snow accident these past few years. Well, last year I finally hit my first gigantic patch of black ice. I was far enough away from the car in front of me that I didn't hit them when I slid in 270 degrees and eventually was stopped by a snow mound piled up on the curve. I mean, I've hit black ice before but not an entire street of it. Truly frightening that you can't break (and shouldn't) in those situations.

I love taking pictures in snow, though.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

Definitely. That sequence sticks out as a highlight and is really quite well done. I also remember really liking how they drew Esmerelda's scarf (and her; secret best female lead?). I just recall that some of the city scenes looked oddly flat and static to me. Like, I was reminded that it was animated because I could see the artistic seams, if that makes sense. It's still quality, but when I rewatched it, it seemed "less" than other Disney Renaissance efforts. For comparison, when I rewatched Beauty and the Beast, I was surprised by how good the movie looked. However, that could simply be my artistic taste swaying my opinion rather than an actual fair judgment of quality.

3phemeral

Definitely. That sequence sticks out as a highlight and is really quite well done. I just recall that some of the city scenes looked oddly flat and static to me. Like, I was reminded that it was animated because I could see the artistic seams, if that makes sense. It's still quality, but when I rewatched it, it seemed "less" than other Disney Renaissance efforts. For comparison, when I rewatched Beauty and the Beast, I was surprised by how good the movie looked. However, that could simply be my artistic taste swaying my opinion rather than an actual fair judgment of quality.
Yeah, as you've said, the art direction didn't seem to provide many opportunities for them to be as creative as Pocahontas's Colors of the Wind sequence, an all-powerful genie with shape-shifting abilities, or a octopus sorceress siphoning your voice from your throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom