• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veeboy

Congrats on ur graduation :eek:
Thanks!
It doesn't have to exclusively be LGBT-related issues, the centers simply cater to the subset because we aren't always comfortable discussing problems - mental, physical, sexual, etc - with a counselor or therapist who doesn't necessarily "get" where we're coming from.

I mostly talked to my therapist about depression and whatnot, but it felt more relatable since he was also a gay man... and it was in a professional setting, heh. I'll be perfectly open with other gays but I don't typically expect well-considered advice, y'know? Even if you're leaving school shortly, it can't hurt to have a meeting with one of their support staff, and maybe you'll get a better feel for how the idea of being in therapy strikes you.
Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly take that into account while I'm looking.
Game commentary time: So Xenoblade X is a fairly solid -snip-.
Hmm, nice review. I agree in some respects (although I feel like I've just started the game despite having put in over 24 hours in so far) that the characters are boring, but I feel like the affinity quests so far (although I've done a couple) really do bring out the characters. I feel like I like what I've seen of my party so far and am interested in learning more about them. I also appreciate that they don't seem 100% trope-y like I expected them to be.

I also kind of am not loving the grid map system since I find myself so frequently shifting my view between the game pad and the screen which takes away from my enjoyment of the world. Haven't played fallout 4 yet so I can't compare it, but I always felt excited in New Vegas when I found something new to explore since there always seemed to be a hint of mystery to it. There isn't really that sense in Xenoblade so far.

The one thing I agree on entirely is Tatsu. Every time he opens his mouth I just want to scream. He is like the entire reason I hate mascot characters in JRPGs. I miss Riki, at least he had a little depth occasionally :(.

Also, the fact that I cant adjust the music levels is infuriating. There is one song (i don't know the name) that whenever it comes on I just groan because once it reaches the chorus you cannot hear what the characters are saying at all and it annoys the hell out of me. It seems like such a weird oversight to make since it happens so often.

Either way for me so far its like 8/10 with potential to improve.

Golnei

Xenoblade had one of the best game soundtracks of the last decade. This is nothing but trash... ;-(

I wouldn't go quite that far, but the more obnoxious Sawano-isms are definitely the weakest part of the soundtrack - look at how much stronger the area themes are, for example; Sylvalum, Noctilum and Primordia Waters would have stood out even in the original. Even if it wouldn't save the NLA abominations or terrible audio mixing; most of the vocal tracks in the game could have approached being okay with competent lyricists and performers.

The one thing I agree on entirely is Tatsu. Every time he opens his mouth I just want to scream. He is like the entire reason I hate mascot characters in JRPGs. I miss Riki, at least he had a little depth occasionally :(.

Tatsu is a crime against humanity - he's pretty much a worst-case scenario for mascot characters, wrapped up in a bile-inducing American mangling of the already-fairly-irritating Nopon voices from the original. And the worst part is that when they do try to give him some tiny amount of depth, they just end up taunting you with
an infinitely superior execution of the concept which could have easily replaced him.

hang out/drink ect

Good luck with the 'etc.'

Veeboy

I wouldn't go quite that far, but the more obnoxious Sawano-isms are definitely the weakest part of the soundtrack - look at how much stronger the area themes are, for example; Sylvalum, Noctilum and Primordia Waters would have stood out even in the original. Even if it wouldn't save the NLA abominations or terrible audio mixing; most of the vocal tracks in the game could have approached being okay with competent lyricists and performers.
I feel like the NLA themes are growing on me. I don't know if its some sort of stockholm syndrome or if I'm going to end up genuinely enjoying them. I still think they're awful, but I love how awful they are.

Dany

Banned
Went clubbing with a cute straight boy, after awhile he was making out with me. It's funny in retrospect because my bf and friends says he's had a crush with me for awhile. Guess so!

3phemeral

Went clubbing with a cute straight boy, after awhile he was making out with me. It's funny in retrospect because my bf and friends says he's had a crush with me for awhile. Guess so!

Doesn't sound very straight.

sg61l07.gif

"straight"

So when does he come out as bisexual? And then when does he come out as gay?

Dany

Banned
So, how did the boyfriend react?
He doesn't really care. I mean I don't as well. We all question his sexuality. He says straight but was then talking on how easier gay people has it. Dude is a good friend and was feeling frustrated and confused all night. And drunk haha. It doesn't mean much to me, as soon as he did I said "I'm going to tell my boyfriend this FYI" and he kept it up.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
He doesn't really care. I mean I don't as well. We all question his sexuality. He says straight but was then talking on how easier gay people has it. Dude is a good friend and was feeling frustrated and confused all night. And drunk haha. It doesn't mean much to me, as soon as he did I said "I'm going to tell my boyfriend this FYI" and he kept it up.

Hmm. Well, I hope your friend figures this out soon without too much pain, and I'm glad you and your boyfriend are cool with it.

Razmos

Eep, I've been talking to him on facebook all day. I like him even more!

In about an hour I'm going to ask him if he wants to go for a coffee or a drink or something later in the week, trying to be brave for once.
giphy.gif

I'm not saying bisexuality don't real.

But what I am saying is that someone who identifies as straight but wants to kiss other boys, and has a crush on a guy, is not straight. And strikes me as the person that would claim bisexuality as a transition into homosexuality, which does happen.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

In about an hour I'm going to ask him if he wants to go for a coffee or a drink or something later in the week, trying to be brave for once.
giphy.gif

Oooo. Sounds promising. Good luck!

P.S.: That movie is still so good.

But what I am saying is that someone who identifies as straight but wants to kiss other boys, and has a crush on a guy, is not straight. And strikes me as the person that would claim bisexuality as a transition into homosexuality, which does happen.

If I'm mostly attracted to men but 1/1000th of the time I want to fuck women, I'm not going to consider myself bi. Sexual labels are not these super concrete things, they're at best the products of crude heuristics.

If I'm mostly attracted to men but 1/1000th of the time I want to fuck women, I'm not going to consider myself bi. Sexual labels are not these super concrete things, they're at best the products of crude heuristics.

"We all question his sexuality."

For some reason I doubt this kid was a straight dude who just found himself having a 1/1000 attraction to men. Dude's pinging everyone's gaydar constantly for a reason.

Dany

Banned

For some reason I doubt this kid was a straight dude who just found himself having a 1/1000 attraction to men. Dude's pinging everyone's gaydar constantly for a reason.
I didn't want to be rude when I said that. If he says he's straight then sure, but we feel like there's some lingering doubt within himself about it.

But it's also not really anyone's business what he identifies as. I'm sure a lot more people would consider themselves 'heteroflexible' if they knew it was a viable option or were open to defining themselves that way, but if the fact is that they're not, then what you're left with is 'hetero'.

I'm not saying bisexuality don't real.

That something does happen isn't a good reason for assuming a stereotype correctly applies to an individual.

Man, thats great ! I hope everything works out for both of you .

Just do it.

Razmos

He says he's busy this week with people wanting to catch up before christmas and his works christmas party, but he said we could do some other time. So I guess I'll try again next week. It sounds pretty positive though I guess.

EDIT: Or maybe after christmas, doh.

3phemeral

Just got back from watching The Good Dinosaur; what an incredibly trying experience. I love Pixar movies but this was the first one I wanted to actually walk out of the theater.

Pirabear

Banned
Just got back from watching The Good Dinosaur; what an incredibly trying experience. I love Pixar movies but this was the first one I wanted to actually walk out of the theater.

Forgot that movie came out and I don't know anyone who watched it (including friends who work in animation fields). Figured that it was a bad sign.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I recently bought my Star Wars tickets for this upcoming weekend. I thought it would be harder to buy them in my area, but I guess not.

Oh no. I'm planning on seeing it this week (matinee). :O Will it make me hate Pixar? I'm expecting something around Brave in terms of quality: gorgeous animation, some good ideas and enjoyable moments, but very clearly the result of some production troubles that place it between the "meh" and "well, that was a thing..." category. I think I enjoyed Brave, but I also haven't watched it since seeing it in theaters, so obviously I didn't enjoy it that much.

Damn yeah I heard it was pretty bad, I'm sad that the recent Pixar movies haven't been that good.

I thought Inside Out was good. Not their best, but in the top half of their releases in terms of quality. Very creative premise, at least, and personally I enjoyed the execution (I know not everyone did).

Burbeting

Banned
Damn yeah I heard it was pretty bad, I'm sad that the recent Pixar movies haven't been that good.

I liked Inside Out though. Dunno if I'm going to see good dinosaurus though, it looks kinda dull.

Also, hi OT. It's been... like 3+ months since last time? I'm still alive, just sporting a new bear-avatar.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Noctilum definitely stands out in the soundtrack. I especially like the day version of it. The NLA themes are flat out terrible though, and not in the so bad its good kind of way for me unfortunately. I can appreciate cheese, but it has to at least fit the material it's associated with. I actually kinda like the corny rap in the main battle theme, for example. I just don't understand what Sawano was going for with the NLA music, day or night. It just doesn't fit, at all.

3phemeral

Oh no. I'm planning on seeing it this week (matinee). :O Will it make me hate Pixar? I'm expecting something around Brave in terms of quality: gorgeous animation, some good ideas and enjoyable moments, but very clearly the result of some production troubles that place it between the "meh" and "well, that was a thing..." category. I think I enjoyed Brave, but I also haven't watched it since seeing it in theaters, so obviously I didn't enjoy it that much.

Pixar's usually really good at tugging those emotional strings - and at just the right moments, too. But here, the characters I should be caring about were wooden and one-dimensional. They lacked any charm and just played our their character archetypes. For the rest, it's as if they knew the story was boring, so they tried their best to liven it up with kooky other-characters that you'd imagine your uncool older relative thinks up when they want to entertain the teens. Not edgy enough? Well, lets amp it up 20 notches, they have to like it, right?

Nothing felt earned. And the tone was all over the place. Also, thank you Brokeback Mountain for forever etching that style of music in my mind so that it's associated with forbidden gay relationships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom