• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ | OT7 | ~First comes love, then comes marriage~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any gay-themed or gay-related book recommendations? Like, I'm not necessarily looking for romantic stories, but simply books that involve gay characters or incorporate it into the plot.

Giovanni's Room - James Baldwin

Queer - William S. Burroughs

The Line of Beauty - Alan Hollinghurst

After the Parade - Lori Ostlund

A Little Life - Hanya Yanagihara Be warned, this one will crush your soul and you'll still be recovering months later. Very, very dark overall.

Also when your mother is in here repping for you it doesn't count.

KvS7cJ

Camillelang

Neo Member
Also when your mother is in here repping for you it doesn't count.

I am definitely Down's mother. I am always hounding him about doing things that he doesn't perceive as dangerous but my female mind has been trained to look out for EVERY POSSIBLE DANGER EVER so I'm like TEXT ME WHEN YOU GET HOME. DONT DO DRUGS. I DONT CARE DONT GO THERE!

Camillelang

Neo Member
Crack the whip!

I'm a lioness mom. If anyone fucks with him I will fly to that location and fuck them up. I ain't playing games when it comes to my boy.

(but I defiantly read things you guys are talking about and I'm like please Down don't look at this and get ideas about what other gays do that is not safe and I will die if something bad happens to you.)(the buzzkill woman is here to ruin his gay lifestyle experience)

KiN0

So, I need some advice right now. I asked a guy out a few months ago and he turned me down. Today, I started talking to him again and it was a nice conversation. He was really friendly and engaging, more so than he was before I asked him out. However, an hour after we spoke, he made a point of clarifying that he is not gay.

Now, we were both part of the same study abroad group and during the trip, he matched with one of our gay members on tinder. This leads me to think that he may just be in the closet. If this is the case, should I give up on trying to be anything more than friends?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

I was going to recommend this, but without the warning because I'm mean.

Thanks for the recommendations. I read the description for A Little Life on Goodreads, and because I'm a melodramatic whiner of a sensitive person, I finished it and thought, "I'm definitely going to identity with Jude." I'm ready to read this book so I can learn all about his objectively tragic life and then self-pity myself into thinking I can somehow relate.

Kind of kidding, kind of not. I definitely want to check out that book.

So, I need some advice right now. I asked a guy out a few months ago and he turned me down. Today, I started talking to him again and it was a nice conversation. He was really friendly and engaging, more so than he was before I asked him out. However, an hour after we spoke, he made a point of clarifying that he is not gay.

Now, we were both part of the same study abroad group and during the trip, he matched with one of our gay members on tinder. This leads me to think that he may just be in the closet. If this is the case, should I give up on trying to be anything more than friends?

It sounds to me like he isn't ready and wouldn't be worth the trouble, if he is in fact gay and anything like I was. In my cases, advances only upset me. However, I guess it all depends on if he is in some state of denial or not.

Like I tell everyone. Just place your hand firmly on his thigh. Look straight into his eyes and smile.

But if you don't want to make things awkward between you two then stop. I'm sure when the time comes hell be more laxed... Remember alcohol brings out the emotion

3phemeral

Sounds like he just couldn't find any other way to say no to you. Either way, closeted or not, doesn't seem like he's interested. If you've indicated interest and 1) he hasn't reciprocated and 2) reiterated he "isn't gay," I wouldn't push it further.

I don't know how much you value the prospect of a future, purely platonic relationship with him, though. Don't put yourself through that torture and seek someone mutually interested.

KiN0

Like I tell everyone. Just place your hand firmly on his thigh. Look straight into his eyes and smile.

But if you don't want to make things awkward between you two them stop. I'm.sure when the time comes hell be more laxed... Remember alcohol brings out the emotion

Well, we haven't even seen each other outside of school and I can't help but wonder if the closet thing is a reason for that.

DOWN

Banned
I've been misquoted! I only hear bussy from her and said she's the only one who tells me I'm a twink. I definitely remember Delio being the resident twink pic poster but also his reason for less pics now.

But yes camillelang is a Watchmen

KiN0

Sounds like he just couldn't find any other way to say no to you. Either way, closeted or not, doesn't seem like he's interested. If you've indicated interest and 1) he hasn't reciprocated and 2) reiterated he "isn't gay," I wouldn't push it further.

I don't know how much you value the prospect of a future, purely platonic relationship with him, though. Don't put yourself through that torture and seek someone mutually interested.

Yeah, I've spent the last month mulling that over and I figure it's time to move on. The thing is, I really would like to be friends with him.

3phemeral

Yeah, I've spent the last month mulling that over and I figure it's time to move on. The thing is, I really would like to be friends with him.
I think you'd be fine provided you don't attempt to initiate any unwanted romantic contact. It might be difficult to not read into what he's doing and interpret it as interest. I don't know. I'm never any good with those situations as my liking them clouds my ability to read body language, so I operate almost in absolutes to avoid awkward situations. To be honest, if you think you can be friends without that niggling thought of romance dancing around the back of your head, it couldn't hurt to try.

KiN0

I think you'd be fine provided you don't attempt to initiate any unwanted romantic contact. It might be difficult to not read into what he's doing and interpret it as interest. I don't know. I'm never any good with those situations as my liking them clouds my ability to read body language, so I operate almost in absolutes to avoid awkward situations. To be honest, if you think you can be friends without that niggling thought of romance dancing around the back of your head, it couldn't hurt to try.

Yeah, I think I'll be alright. I mean, the last time I became attracted to a friend, I chose not to say anything and it just became too difficult to be around him. To this day, I feel like I lost a really good friend and I just didn't want it to happen again. Thanks for the advice.

It sounds to me like he isn't ready and wouldn't be worth the trouble, if he is in fact gay and anything like I was. In my cases, advances only upset me. However, I guess it all depends on if he is in some state of denial or not.
Well, when I think about the way he acts around me, I really do feel like he's in denial. But at this point, I just don't want to lose another friend.

Well, we haven't even seen each other outside of school and I can't help but wonder if the closet thing is a reason for that.

Yeah, I think I'll be alright. I mean, the last time I became attracted to a friend, I chose not to say anything and it just became too difficult to be around him. To this day, I feel like I lost a really good friend and I just didn't want it to happen again. Thanks for the advice.

Well, when I think about the way he acts around me, I really do feel like he's in denial. But at this point, I just don't want to lose another friend.
No. He's just friendly?. I wouldnt try to push it. Just be you and if he makes the move first then you can go from there.

Remember there are people that give off certain vibes. But if hes not running his hand in your shirts don't do anything I do.

KiN0

No. He's just friendly?. I wouldnt try to push it. Just be you and if he makes the move first then you can go from there.

Remember there are people that give off certain vibes. But if hes not running his hand in your shirts don't do anything I do.

Oh no, I would never push anything. I guess I just wanted to know if there's any point in trying to connect with someone who is still in the closet. Especially since I'm still kind of in there myself.

I'm a lioness mom. If anyone fucks with him I will fly to that location and fuck them up. I ain't playing games when it comes to my boy.

(but I defiantly read things you guys are talking about and I'm like please Down don't look at this and get ideas about what other gays do that is not safe and I will die if something bad happens to you.)(the buzzkill woman is here to ruin his gay lifestyle experience)

It's ok, the gay lifestyle experience is overrated anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Does anyone have any gay-themed or gay-related book recommendations? Like, I'm not necessarily looking for romantic stories, but simply books that involve gay characters or incorporate it into the plot.

Two Boys Kissing.

3phemeral

So, I made it my new years resolution to use my camera more often. Been participating in the GAF Photography thread, posted a bunch of stuff over there, but I took this self portrait tonight and I really liked the way it turned out. You can click through to my Flickr and check out some of my other photos as well!

Self Portrait by Alex Rodriguez, on Flickr

Same, haha.

How do you get such a rich contrast of tones without blowouts or washed out sections? I've always liked B&W photography but have never been able to replicate the look I want. Seems more difficult than it looks.

How do you get such a rich contrast of tones without blowouts or washed out sections? I've always liked B&W photography but have never been able to replicate the look I want. Seems more difficult than it looks.

I always shoot in RAW and if I shoot something meant for b&w, I always make sure to use natural lighting or lighting that isn't direct. What equipment you have is also important, I shot this with a Zeiss 32mm f/1.8, which is amazing in low light situations and the sharpest lens I own.

3phemeral

I always shoot in RAW and if I shoot something meant for b&w, I always make sure to use natural lighting or lighting that isn't direct. What equipment you have is also important, I shot this with a Zeiss 32mm f/1.8, which is amazing in low light situations and the sharpest lens I own.

Ah, I miss that RAW functionality of my old Olympus camera. My SO bought be a 20mpx Sony CyberShot for my birthday a few years back because it has a higher ISO range and more exposure options but I lost RAW format in the process. I've wondered if there were any bootleg firmwares for my camera that I could install to support RAW mode. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom