• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sai-kun

Banned
I think I've asked this before, but what is the Skype/Discort chat used for? I guess, more specifically: is the chat used to post content that isn't allowed on NeoGAF?

yes and no but it's mainly just a big old chatroom where we can talk a lot freer and more randomly without worrying about post content

Kevyt

Do you believe that two people can get together and talk about literally anything?

That's culture.

That's too broad.

When I think of culture, I think of a close knit group that shares values, believes and similar life experiences.

When I think of "gay culture" I think of cis gay white males who share similar aspects of their life and their perspective on life is based on homogeneity.

If said culture is about all types of gays (of different ethnic backgrounds), then that's a big lie. Therefore, I don't think there exists such thing as "gay culture" as many like to believe.

Likewise, I don't believe in it.

Yeah, and completely disregard the rest of what I said.

k.

There's obviously no monolithic gay culture. It's weird that we'd even think of culture that way in the first place, because a centralized 'culture' like that is a production of widespread print media and the post-colonial period. Consequently it always raises questions about "k but who are the keepers of that culture" because it is always somewhat authoritarian and excludes other fringe cultures. So thinking of culture as some centralized thing in the first place seems like a mistake anyways. But gays clearly have culture. Good?

Veeboy

That's too broad.

When I think of culture, I think of a close knit group that shares values, believes and similar life experiences.

Personally, I think thats a very limiting view of culture. Being close knit has little to do with a general culture. I'm a part of the culture of the United States, but I wouldn't say thats a necessarily close knit group. At the same time though I'd say there are general cultural norms which I share with a large number of Americans.

When I think of "gay culture" I think of cis gay white males who share similar aspects of their life and their perspective on life is based on homogeneity.

If said culture is about all types of gays (of different ethnic backgrounds), then that's a big lie.
I also think this is at least partially correct. Gay culture, at least the most commonly known and covered parts of gay culture, is dominated by cis gay white dudes. However, that isn't to say that that gay culture is homogenous, but rather that other aspects of gay culture are simply overlooked. There is still variation (as there is in any culture) and that variation leads to subgroups and subcultures. Like, in my prior example, I'm a part of the larger US culture, but I'm also part of other distinct subcultures which formed because, while they are a part of the larger culture they are also overlooked by it or simply fall out of line with some aspects of the larger culture. The black community in the US for example.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The OP has been edited with the Discord Group link. XOXO
zZtwqh3.gif

Astral Dog

I I don't feel the need to and would rather not discuss the life change at the moment since it is still ongoing, but perhaps at a later date once the chapter has been closed for some time. Thanks for your interest and support. :)

I can only say no and I'm not sure if I ever was despite being raised Catholic, but I was very invested in the idea of spiritual perfection—I've been a perfectionist my entire life, and I was one to an absurd degree when I was a child—and saw following rules exactly as a clear road to perfection.

And are you comfortable with that? is something you wish to change a bit, or part of how you feel? have you talked with a professional about this im not sure its healthy.

anyways hope you get better and wish you well on that life change :)

That's too broad.

If said culture is about all types of gays (of different ethnic backgrounds), then that's a big lie. Therefore, I don't think there exists such thing as "gay culture" as many like to believe.

Likewise, I don't believe in it.

Monolithic "gay culture" may not dominate the gay landscape or even have a gay monolith to actually operate on, but you can still establish topics that most contemporary gay individuals can either identify with, discuss in some capacity or at least recognize, much in the same way what people refer to as "black culture" can refer to anything and everything that can be identified as part of a culture between at least one party of black individuals, even though in reality what we consider to be "black culture" doesn't really affect people on a daily basis outside of a very specific subset of black middle-class men and women that actively participate in it. Obviously gay communities from various parts of the world aren't immediately going to click and share their favorite Cosmo articles via hive-mind telepathy, but you can view "gay culture" as two dudes who just happen to like dick (and only dick!) having a discussion about literally anything rather than trying to relativize it into something immediately palatable regardless of actual culture.

_Isaac

Did you call no lies on your own thread? :p

I think I'm more bothered that "Out" and "Attitude" is what its supposed to represent gay media, I've never read these magazines in my life.

Me neither. I didn't even know Attitude was a gay magazine or whatever.

Palmer27

Me neither. I didn't even know Attitude was a gay magazine or whatever.
Can't say I give a shit about lifestyle-fashion fluff either. I wonder how much this just because we're on a closed gaming forum or how much of gay culture isn't all about that life? Time I saw the world.

Also the metal thing happened to me before, basically the same story as you.
What kind of metal are you into?

And yet you don't like autechre.
Whoa, actually enjoyed that! Never heard anything like that before -what do you call that kind of music?

What kind of metal are you into?

Whoa, actually enjoyed that! Never heard anything like that before -what do you call that kind of music?
I kinda like the drone metal or slower types of metal. I have been listening to sunn o)), earth, and the body recently.

Yeah i would call that experimental electronic, maybe ambient

berzeli

Banned
I know I mentioned this documentary about a gay gang, Check It, way back when they were crowdfunding. But now, it's coming out (Yes, I really made that pun. No, I'm not sorry).

Trailer. (Let me know if it doesn't work)
It looks really good, and with all the talk about gay culture I think this offers something that clearly is gay culture and clearly isn't of the narrow cis-white-men variety. Bonus points for the three seconds or so of Jean Grae.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I know I mentioned this documentary about a gay gang, Check It, way back when they were crowdfunding. But now, it's coming out (Yes, I really made that pun. No, I'm not sorry).

Trailer. (Let me know if it doesn't work)
It looks really good, and with all the talk about gay culture I think this offers something that clearly is gay culture and clearly isn't of the narrow cis-white-men variety. Bonus points for the three seconds or so of Jean Grae.

kool will look forward to it!

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have thoughts on these PS4k rumors/leaks? I don't have a PS4, so I'm just watching from a distance.

Delio

I take it as Generations will be tossed away as a concept in favor of apple like upgrades every three years. So they can give you a nice spec bump instead of sitting on the console for 6 or so years. Am I for it? Not really but I see why they are doing it.

Berordn

I take it as Generations will be tossed away as a concept in favor of apple like upgrades every three years. So they can give you a nice spec bump instead of sitting on the console for 6 or so years. Am I for it? Not really but I see why they are doing it.

Yeah, I expected this to happen eventually, I just figured we'd have another generation before it started.

Not a fan, but it was inevitable.

If the PS4K does actually mean Deep Down is happening then I'll be day one.

On a side note, waiting to play Dark Souls 3 is getting annoying with Youtube recommending me all of these videos which could potentially spoil all sorts of shit in their titles.

drunk in class.

20 of us went out before this. we are ROLE MODELS>

are you heckling the prof?

I think they used to call it IDM? Kind of a meaningless genre name though. A lot of their stuff is ambient, too. Autechre are kind off doing their own thing, though, they're kind of hard to classify.

Listen to this section of IO (mons), it's crazy.

On a side note, waiting to play Dark Souls 3 is getting annoying with Youtube recommending me all of these videos which could potentially spoil all sorts of shit in their titles.

I wish more people would relax about spoilers.

I think people wouldn't find them as game ruining if they didn't work themselves up into a fit and convinced themselves that they were game ruining.

Elitist1945

Today a female co-worker randomly held my hand. The same thing happened at my old location. Is this something a lot of girls do? lol

Keep in mind my workplace is majority students.

RM8

If PS4K means I'll get a cheaper Old PS4 at some point for the couple of exclusives I want to play, then it's a good thing :p

Kevyt

You're a dev, you should know.

Spill the deets! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom