• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Broke up with my boyfriend today. :( He was very sad... first relationship I ever had. It was going nowhere... both of our faults. It's for the best, but sucks that I made him so sad.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Broke up with my boyfriend today. :( He was very sad... first relationship I ever had. It was going nowhere... both of our faults. It's for the best, but sucks that I made him so sad.

Break ups suck and sometimes it hard to get over them but both sides will be fine with time. If things were not going alright its better to break up before things get actually get nasty.

If you wanna talk with anyone and vent or whatever my inbox is open.

DOWN

Banned
So... this dude on an app sort of agreed to a date. Problem is we live roughly ~1.5 hours away. Idk that seems like a pretty far drive. Should I just agree because w/e, or should I push for a more equidistant location? Problem with the latter is that neither of us would be familiar with the area.
This is about Pample✔️ He already told us

Monocle

Damn. I need to watch that show now.
Success!

YAS Archie.

p2NH3sJ.jpg
OK.

Yes.

Sure.

Mm-hmm.

I'll take it.

I'll take two, if possible.

It's the face pic that really seals it for me. He's cute.

Grindr guy.

Them -what up wit you
Them - sends three dick pic
Me - getting obese
Them - huh
Me - getting fat
Them - you want to suck dick or get fucked
You know what to do.

I'm assuming he fully committed to the role and the curtains match the carpet.
HES ALL NATURAL SHUT UP

Dat symmetrical face

robert-pattinson-numero.jpeg
His face is the only thing of his that I'm into, but it's a pretty OK face. I would let him stand next to me and smolder and be tall. He's tall, right?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
HES ALL NATURAL SHUT UP

It's probably weird that I like red hair quite a bit, but the rest being red too just creeps me out. Go figure.

His face is the only thing of his that I'm into, but it's a pretty OK face. I would let him stand next to me and smolder and be tall. He's tall, right?

There was a time where I listened to the song he wrote and sang on the Twilight soundtrack so so so much (I have never seen the movies, thankfully). Dude's certainly multi-talented, but he'll be dodging the bad rep from those movies for many years. He and Twigs are gonna make some crazy gorgeous kids.

JCX

Date yesterday flaked in a weird way. We were supposed to get drinks, so I messaged him early on about when/where. He replied around 6pm saying he was sleeping all day and apologizing for missing my message. Then I asked if he still was up for it, but never got a response.

On to the next one I suppose.

Kevyt

Date yesterday flaked in a weird way. We were supposed to get drinks, so I messaged him early on about when/where. He replied around 6pm saying he was sleeping all day and apologizing for missing my message. Then I asked if he still was up for it, but never got a response.

On to the next one I suppose.

People are awful. If you have agreed to something, then people should be able to fulfill said agreement.

I'm starting to think flaking is very common among dating apps.

Well, best of luck JCX!

Ambitious

No, move on with your life.

Oh, sorry I didn't read the previous post. Hmmm, well it's clear he isn't reciprocating. I think you should continue looking/don't get too hanged up on him.

Happy mother's day!

I got my mom a fitbit. She actually liked it. 😃

Yeah you can't get hung up, as much as it hurts. So many more guys out there.

Well, yeah, I guess..
Goddammit.

mantidor

Tormund there is probably the only redhead that does it for me.

Had a crazy weekend, got people worried because I dissapeared saturday because I slept through most of the day
with someone 🙈
and now one friend is not speaking with me.

I get I got them worried but I think he's being overly dramatic. The new era of smartphones when being offline for more than 6 hours means people start to call hospitals is kind of weird.

lenovox1

Had a crazy weekend, got people worried because I dissapeared saturday because I slept through most of the day
with someone 🙈

I get I got them worried but I think he's being overly dramatic. The new era of smartphones when being offline for more than 6 hours means people start to call hospitals is kind of weird.

You're absolutely right, but he'll get over it.

And, hey, your situation is better than having absolutely no friends or personal social network, like moi. To take the popular philosophical question to it's most extreme place: "If a tree falls in the middle of a vast and empty plane, does it really make a sound?"

mantidor

You're absolutely right, but he'll get over it.

And, hey, your situation is better than having absolutely no friends or personal social network, like moi. To take the popular philosophical question to it's most extreme place: "If a tree falls in the middle of a vast and empty plane, does it really make a sound?"

Oh for sure, I even invited them dinner as an apology but this one friend literally told me to get lost, but I also think(hope) he'll get over it.

I'm definitely glad my friends care about me, my social media is a barren wasteland so it was nice to see like a dozen messages in every app when I finally got to my phone.

Tormund there is probably the only redhead that does it for me..
He'd look better without the unkempt beard. I've actually changed my tune on redheads recently after having a few really cute ones in my classes this semester.

EDIT- Ratsky's gonna have some fun I see. 👍🏼

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

with someone 🙈

This blows my mind that people would react that way after 6 hours and not forgive you. I understand getting freaked out if someone told you they'd for sure respond quickly and then six hours pass, but it takes a couple days for me to worry about someone not responding. Maybe 12-24 hours if it's someone that I know has a history of issues.

I don't know if I could ever fully apologize for not being at my phone at all times. I could definitely apologize for worrying someone, but it's so freeing to be away from it sometimes that I'm not going to regret that in almost every case.

Sibylus

Banned
Shaking my fucking head at another empty head wondering why we don't acknowledge transracial folk.

Sibylus said:
Ethnic differences are so vanishingly minute that the notion of transracial people is oftentimes founded upon racist notions of scientific racism, dealing in bad faith, and cultural appropriation.

To be "transracial" is to appropriate a cultural and social space that isn't yours, and oftentimes to appropriate voices of the oppressed and grab the limelight. You cited Rachel Dolezal without addressing the fact that she was belittling and shaming black people at the same time as she was appropriating their culture.

It's not a valid identity: it's racism so deeply internalized that it manifests in a novel form. If you can't beat them... be them.
My take.

berzeli

Banned
Shaking my fucking head at another empty head wondering why we don't acknowledge transracial folk.

And as a bonus we also got a thread about whether transitioning (/and or not passing? That thread is so poorly thought out I can't tell) is """gender appropriation""" and that there are no downsides of being visibly not conforming to a gender. I'm sometimes amazed at how dumb people can be and still somehow find that Post New Thread button.

Sibylus

Banned
And as a bonus we also got a thread about whether transitioning (/and or not passing? That thread is so poorly thought out I can't tell) is """gender appropriation""" and that there are no downsides of being visibly not conforming to a gender. I'm sometimes amazed at how dumb people can be and still somehow find that Post New Thread button.
One of those days when groupthink would actually be smarter.

I never said there were no downsides to not visibly conforming. I would never say that. Transpeople have it awful, and I would never try to downplay that. I'm in awe of people who have the courage to do it. I was trying to understand the underpinnings of hate, below the surface level.

I apparently didn't explain myself well at all though so I guess it's for the best that the thread is closed. If anybody here wants me to try and explain further I'd be happy to try, but otherwise, I just want to say that I love you all, and I'm genuinely sorry if I offended anyone with my words. It wasn't my intent.

berzeli

Banned
I never said there were no downsides to not visibly conforming. I would never say that. Transpeople have it awful, and I would never try to downplay that. I'm in awe of people who have the courage to do it. I was trying to understand the underpinnings of hate, below the surface level.

I apparently didn't explain myself well at all though so I guess it's for the best that the thread is closed. If anybody here wants me to try and explain further I'd be happy to try, but otherwise, I just want to say that I love you all, and I'm genuinely sorry if I offended anyone with my words. It wasn't my intent.

Look, I maybe should have been nicer to you (and apologies in advance for what follows) but that thread was so poorly thought out I can't do anything with it. It wasn't a basis for debate or understanding, it was distilled idiocy written down in a stream of conciousness style that made any point (as awful as it may have been) impossible to understand.
I've tried about ten times now to write this sentence, trying to just to do a surface explanation of where your "thinking" goes off the deep end. But that post is the goddamm Mariana Trench of conflating concepts and ideas so I'm not sure I can explain how you're misusing terminology and misunderstanding concepts because I'm not sure you understand them at even the basic level.

Also I'm way too tired and need to hit the bed, so bafflement and frustration is the best I can do right now.

I will leave you with a tip for the future though; writing "I'm not intending any disrespect or insult to transgender people" doesn't magically negate the part of your post where you write "a transgender person transitioning to male is "appropriating" maleness without actually being male".
If you're genuinely interested in not insulting transgender people, don't fucking insult them. Even if it is for an idiotic argument I can't tell if you're genuinely making or if it is some dumb "devil'd advocate"/hypothetical.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Break ups suck and sometimes it hard to get over them but both sides will be fine with time. If things were not going alright its better to break up before things get actually get nasty.

If you wanna talk with anyone and vent or whatever my inbox is open.

Thanks, appreciate it. It's just so weird... I'm probably not going to see him again... Makes me sad to think about what he is thinking right now. We talked, then he just kind of sat there sad, and I told him I'm sorry a lot... then I just kind of left. I don't know if I did it right. :p

Good taste.

Vazra

Thanks, appreciate it. It's just so weird... I'm probably not going to see him again... Makes me sad to think about what he is thinking right now. We talked, then he just kind of sat there sad, and I told him I'm sorry a lot... then I just kind of left. I don't know if I did it right. :p

Well you apologized and you guys I imagine talked why the break up so there is not much to do except maybe offer him a friendship if interested.

Vazra

it's an interesting feeling when you actually experience hatred for who you are.

like, it's something that i know will never disappear for the rest of my life, but it still brings a weird feeling upon me.

strange world.

Even more so when the hatred comes from someone in the same group too in some cases. Such is life but we need to learn to not make their comments bigger than they are since they don't add anything to life.

Look, I maybe should have been nicer to you (and apologies in advance for what follows) but that thread was so poorly thought out I can't do anything with it. It wasn't a basis for debate or understanding, it was distilled idiocy written down in a stream of conciousness style that made any point (as awful as it may have been) impossible to understand.
I've tried about ten times now to write this sentence, trying to just to do a surface explanation of where your "thinking" goes off the deep end. But that post is the goddamm Mariana Trench of conflating concepts and ideas so I'm not sure I can explain how you're misusing terminology and misunderstanding concepts because I'm not sure you understand them at even the basic level.

Also I'm way too tired and need to hit the bed, so bafflement and frustration is the best I can do right now.

I will leave you with a tip for the future though; writing "I'm not intending any disrespect or insult to transgender people" doesn't magically negate the part of your post where you write "a transgender person transitioning to male is "appropriating" maleness without actually being male".
If you're genuinely interested in not insulting transgender people, don't fucking insult them. Even if it is for an idiotic argument I can't tell if you're genuinely making or if it is some dumb "devil'd advocate"/hypothetical.

Thank you for your response.

I think you're right that the stream-of-consciousness style wasn't a good choice. Considering how many people were confused or didn't get my original intent makes that exceedingly clear. If nothing else, I've learned that in topics as heated and delicate as this that it's best to spend the extra time making sure everything is as clear as possible.

My intent for the post was to try and understand the concept of appropriation and how (if at all) it tied into gender identity. I'd seen some arguments that said as much and though I don't agree with them, I wanted to dig deeper.

On a personal note, I recently spoke with someone in my family, who is very much a conservative, and who fully buys into the whole "any dude could go into the girl's bathroom, look out for our daughters" stuff. I had a kind of bitter argument with him, and he couldn't grasp why I was in favor of transgender people using the restroom they feel best applies to them, and I was digging at him to try and get the real underlying cause of his negative feelings on the matter.

I wanted to know what led to the subconscious gut feeling that makes him (and others like him) respond so viscerally against the concept. I want an understanding of it, in order to better understand people in general, and also learn how to talk to them in a way that can hopefully change their minds. I want to know what the fear or the uneasiness is about. When people were talking about Rachel Dolezal and her ridiculous situation in the thread before mine, it made me remember some girls back in college who were becoming pretty hardcore feminists that said transgender women were oppressive and "appropriating womanhood." It seemed as ridiculous to me as it does now. But the connection was made, and I began to wonder: "Is it that some cisgender people feel like their gender identity is being 'appropriated' by transgender people? Like they're "cheating" at this whole gender thing?"

Now, naturally that's an opinion largely borne out of ignorance because, as many pointed out, transgender people have it as tough as it gets. But ignorance is often a foundation of hate, and this particular type of ignorance could be the foundation of this particular hate.

On that note, the full quote from what you quoted was "I suppose the argument here would be that a transgender person transitioning to male is "appropriating" maleness without actually being male." The beginning of the sentence was meant to suggest what that argument would potentially be, not that it was what I personally felt. But I definitely did not make that clear enough, so it's on me. And I wasn't making that argument in a devil's advocate way -- I'm literally trying to understand this nebulous "hate" that I can't personally comprehend. I felt like, if I could understand what was driving this hate and what the ignorance was deep down, it could be addressed more effectively, not only with my dad but with people in general. If people's deep down "fear" is that their own personal gender identity is somehow under attack, how can we address that? Maybe we can't, but that seems fatalistic.

I really, really, really hope I explained myself better here. You guys don't owe me a response of course, but I wanted to do what I could to make amends because honestly that whole blowup was weighing on me a lot today, and I felt terrible that people might have felt I was attacking them personally, when that was the last thing I intended.

Perhaps serendipitously, I read the US' case against North Carolina and it spells out the issue really well in the "Gender Identity and its Relationship to Sex" section: https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/2827915/NC-DOJComplaint.pdf
I may end up linking that to family and friends when the issue comes up. It's very clear and straightforward :)

Again, I love you all and keep being you. Thanks for hearing me out, and again I deeply, deeply apologize if I hurt or offended anyone here. I'll try my best to do better in the future.

Ambitious

Well, yeah, I guess..
Goddammit.

I need to take my own advice too lol. Just gotta keep fighting the good fight.

I'm so incredibly hung up on him. Goddammit.
In these seven weeks, he was online just twice. Once about a month ago, and a second time just today. So it's probably not the case that he doesn't want to chat with me in particular; it's probably way more likely that he avoided the site in general because he didn't have the time or energy to socialize with even more people, just as he warned me. Right? This makes sense, doesn't it?

Berordn

Being "just" gay almost feels like winning the lottery when I read those threads about trans people :(

It's a weird thing to feel, but... yeah. I take for granted how little people care about my private life and personal needs, comparatively.

JCX

I'm so incredibly hung up on him. Goddammit.
In these seven weeks, he was online just twice. Once about a month ago, and a second time just today. So it's probably not the case that he doesn't want to chat with me in particular; it's probably way more likely that he avoided the site in general because he didn't have the time or energy to socialize with even more people, just as he warned me. Right? This makes sense, doesn't it?

That could be right, but you're never going to know for sure. Who knows what happened. Remember that as close are you may have felt, a lot of people on the apps (myself included) are talking to different guys simultaneously, so he may have hit it off with someone else.

When this happens to me, I just purge them from my life - deleting texts and stuff is cathartic to me.

It's a weird thing to feel, but... yeah. I take for granted how little people care about my private life and personal needs, comparatively.

Great avatar btw

B-Dex

I'm sorry but if some bitch tried to drag my ass to Jerry Springer to fight someone for the "honour" of their affection.... Nah. Plus it was totally rigged for the one guy to win so why bother.

Kevyt

I'm sorry but if some bitch tried to drag my ass to Jerry Springer to fight someone for the "honour" of their affection.... Nah. Plus it was totally rigged for the one guy to win so why bother.

What if you stole their man?

If you did to me, I would so totally drag you to Jerry Springer.

I would shout "HE STOLE MY MAN!!" uncontrollably loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom