• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

It's all just so immense. I don't think I'll ever get over it.

First of all WHORE

HQsABhkdWwEVHhwEBwFKRlNGX1tEVl0wCgwZDBFOOxAbGkghBgYIFxdZEwIHFxxIQ0dQW0VQRFZPXloTDBQ=.gif

Second of all, get into critically acclaimed television.

That gif 💀💀

Rayis

Started watching Ru Paul's drag race recently, my life has officially been changed. On season 4 at the moment, Sharon Needles is amazing.

I literally screamed when Shangela made a cameo appearance at the start of season 4, hilarious

It's pretty great picking up little bits of the cultural impact over the years, and watching it now it's like "Willam! I know that bitch!" This was long overdue
Welcome to the Drag Race family! The best reality show in television, make sure to watch All-Stars 2 which will air soon and post in the thread about it, it's fun.

Despite everyone's warning against it, DO watch season 7, Katya just can't be missed, or Violet's sickening runway looks.

Ambitious

Could have been the best day in a long, long time. Social anxiety and the fact that I don't have any friends I could have met there prevented it.
Now I'm home. Crying.

3phemeral

Welcome back, Vazra ;)

Went to see finding Dory and as much as I disliked the tone of the trailers, I walked out of the theater enjoying a lot of it. It definitely relies a lot more on those emotional strings throughout most of the story beats. It's not as funny or as charming as Nemo was but it does have its moments. There's definitely one LOL moment, for sure. A lot of the humor seems mostly an homage to the first film.

I was primarily worried that it would feel like a shoehorned addition to Nemo's universe but they did an excellent job fleshing out Dory's backstory while also providing sufficiently plausible explanations for her behavior. It also resolved itself in a way I wasn't expecting, which I enjoyed.

Kater

Banned
Sure, that sounds fun.

Trans woman

Lesbian

Minnesota/Minnesota

Classic Rock

Right now I'm freelance writing, but don't have any serious career aspirations for the future. Just getting by.

EarthBound (all games), Danganronpa (1/2), Ace Attorney (all games, mostly), A Link to the Past, Psychonauts, Chrono Trigger, Katamari Damacy, Persona 4, Undertale, Xenoblade Chronicles, Portal (1/2), Left 4 Dead, Rhythm Heaven (all games), Zero Escape (1/2), Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Wario Land 3, Mega Man Classic (all games), Broken Sword (all games so far), Crypt of the NecroDancer

Hobbies include swimming, board/card games (deck-building games, Betrayal at House on the Hill, One-Night Ultimate Werewolf, Pandemic, Settlers of Catan, etc.), writing, reading, and I guess compulsively organizing
Welcome to the thread o/

Hope you stay here so that we have more people in here to talk about Zero Escape 3 (and anything else you want to talk about). :D

Unfortunately I'm back
CLVeU35.gif

wb Rafa! <3

Could have been the best day in a long, long time. Social anxiety and the fact that I don't have any friends I could have met there prevented it.
Now I'm home. Crying.

Shame. :( What happened?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Now I'm home. Crying.

I understand this and have been in a similar position. Talk to us (or other friends) when you get the chance. Sorry that your day didn't go as planned. :(

Welcome back, Vazra ;)

Went to see finding Dory and as much as I disliked the tone of the trailers, I walked out of the theater enjoying a lot of it. It definitely relies a lot more on those emotional strings throughout most of the story beats. It's not as funny or as charming as Nemo was but it does have it's moments. There's definitely one LOL moment, for sure. A lot of the humor seems mostly an homage to the first film.

I was mostly worried that it would feel like a shoehorned addition to Nemo's universe but they did an excellent job fleshing out Dory's backstory while also providing sufficiently plausible explanations for her behavior. It also ended in a way I wasn't expecting, which I enjoyed.

Hmm...this is good to hear. I'm expecting something like a Monsters University+ experience in terms of quality. Glad you liked it!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
sai your ep is amazing~ im being slain hard by resonance in particular tbh

and the song titles are all super fitting, almost as though you wrote the titles first and then composed the songs to fit them, instead of the other way around

keep up the good work!

3phemeral

I understand this and have been in a similar position. Talk to us (or other friends) when you get the chance. Sorry that your day didn't go as planned. :(

Hmm...this is good to hear. I'm expecting something like a Monsters University+ experience in terms of quality. Glad you liked it!

IMO it's definitely better than Monster's U. I didn't quite like that movie, though it did manage to get better as the movie progressed. I like a few of the characters and how they contribute to the humor during certain sequences but I couldn't get myself into it.

Also, I'm almost certain there were a handful of people crying in Finding Dory. I did tear up a bit myself :)

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
IMO t's definitely better than Monster's U. I didn't quite like that movie, though it did manage to get better as the movie progressed. I like a few of the characters and how they contribute to the humor during certain sequences but I couldn't get myself into it.

Also, I'm almost certain there were a handful of people crying in Finding Dory. I did tear up a bit myself :)

Finding Nemo was the first movie that ever made me tear up, and it had to do with Dory. It's also one of only a few Pixar movies to get that reaction out of me. Now I'm worried. :p

Astral Dog

Now I'm home. Crying.

noo...

why? dont worry about going alone ,you could go there and met new people, :(

you look great, and thats a really awesome scarf

Sai-kun

Banned
sai your ep is amazing~ im being slain hard by resonance in particular tbh

and the song titles are all super fitting, almost as though you wrote the titles first and then composed the songs to fit them, instead of the other way around

keep up the good work!

Oh dude, thank you so much! I'm so happy you've enjoyed it! What brought you to it, if you don't mind me asking?

And you're partially right, about the song titles, haha. When I'm producing, my initial ideas and melodies tend to just be about 5-10 seconds long, but I never save them without giving them a proper name first. All of them, aside from the initial track, Currents, started out with the names they have now! I think I've got a knack for keeping the vibe of a song consistent with the title. I'm glad you felt a similar way :) thank you again for listening!

resonance is my fave

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Do you all ever get the feeling of "I need to watch some queer identity-affirming media ASAP"? For a few days, I've had the urge to watch a gay-themed film. For whatever reason, I'm craving some larger-than-life visual representation.

Do you all ever get the feeling of "I need to watch some queer identity-affirming media ASAP"? For a few days, I've had the urge to watch a gay-themed film. For whatever reason, I'm craving some larger-than-life visual representation.

I've stockpiled a few gay films on Netflix for binge watching some day.

The last season and a half of Steven Universe has been really, really gay (and nonbinary / inclusive in general), so that's usually been sating me.

mantidor

What are the opinions on the Imitation Game from lgbt-gaf? I loved the film, but it's a bit dishearting all of our stories are so tragic.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
What are the opinions on the Imitation Game from lgbt-gaf? I loved the film, but it's a bit dishearting all of our stories are so tragic.

I liked the movie...but then was very disappointed when I learned how much of it was made up for the film. So, I guess I liked it as a historical fiction movie, but not as a historical movie, if that makes sense.

DOWN

Banned
Biopics suck huge to me lately. The dramatization is super obvious. Argo sucked so bad for the crazy stuff that never happened getting somehow green lit as being okay to have in the film. Ridiculous story.

Tuck

Lol nope. I've actually watched very little LGBT media. Been tempted to go to the InsideOut Toronto LGBT film festival, but every year I skip it.

Now I'm home. Crying.

Oh no, don't cry. Do something that will help cheer you up. Watch Adventure Time (Works for me, lol).

I find pride pretty boring alone. Most people go with friends, and aren't really looking to make new friends. You might meet people at a bar, if you're social enough (I'm not), and the people around you at the parade may be friendly, but you won't find anything lasting. Could still make for a fun day, but you'd need to be pretty social for that. But if you aren't, don't fret because theres other, less intimidating ways to have fun. Have you looked into a rec league? Maybe an LGBT boardgame night? Those will help you meet people and make friends, in a much easier fashion than the high-paced pride festival. Then, next year, you can go with the friends you will have made.

My first pride was a bit of a letdown because I went alone, so I can kind of relate.

Again, I'll reiterate that if you don't like something about yourself, its up to you to change it. Its okay to feel down for a bit, but don't stay down. Push yourself to get out there. It will suck. It will be hard. It will be uncomfortable. But it gets easier, and the payoff will be worth it. This isn't a change that will happen overnight though, so just keep that in mind.

Crayons

Banned
Somehow slightly overweight nerdy guys became (one of) my types(s).

You're on the right website

Yes I do. I really want to buy a carton of ice cream, sit down and watch Brokeback Mountain and then some more indie queer films while I cry by myself.

Everyone watch Bound (1996) please. It is lesbians trying to pull off a heist against the Mafia and was directed by the Wachowskis before The Matrix.

And then watch Y Tu Mamá También which is about how teenage boys relate to each other and sexuality. Directed by Alfonso Cuarón of Children of Men and Gravity and Harry Potter 3.

You're on the right website

Yes I do. I really want to buy a carton of ice cream, sit down and watch Brokeback Mountain and then some more indie queer films while I cry by myself.

Or you could bash yourself in the head with a hammer and get the same experience. Worst written tripe I've ever had the misfortune of watching. That movie is awful.

Bladenic

Brokeback Mountain was amazing to a younger, still closeted me. And I can ever get someone as hot as Heath Ledger or Jake Gylenhaal to love me then it'll all be worth it.

Brokeback Mountain was amazing to a younger, still closeted me. And I can ever get someone as hot as Heath Ledger or Jake Gylenhaal to love me then it'll all be worth it.

Sure you can. All you need is a shovel :)

okay that was dark even for me

edit:
that's not a slam on you Blade, just a Heath's dead joke. Just reread my post and had to clarify.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I never watched the film but I enjoyed the short story. I had described Proulx's writing as "word jizz".

Brokeback mountain was an art piece film that got too famous for its own good. It's an excellent film regardless.

Debatable

I never watched the film but I enjoyed the short story. I had described Proulx's writing as "word jizz".

My problem with it is that it feels like a shallow interpretation of what it means to be lgbt+ viewed through the eyes of someone who should be writing for daytime soaps.

p.s. misspelled interpretation at first and the first word it suggested to me was interpenetration. What's spell check trying to say to me?

My problem with it is that it feels like a shallow interpretation of what it means to be lgbt+ viewed through the eyes of someone who should be writing for daytime soaps.

What? The suffocating isolation of being gay in the 1960s in Wyoming was itself suffocating to watch, which means that it did at least one important thing well. It was neither shallow nor soapy, it's not my favourite movie in the world, but I don't think any sane review would rate it lower than "good".

I'm still gonna give it a chance because Heath Ledger.

What a beautiful specimen of man. mmmf

Well if your into that.

What? The suffocating isolation of being gay in the 1960s in Wyoming was itself suffocating to watch, which means that it did at least one important thing well. It was neither shallow nor soapy, it's not my favourite movie in the world, but I don't think any sane review would rate it lower than "good".

"Why can't I quit you" is not what I would call good writing.

"Why can't I quit you" is not what I would call good writing.

Your memory of the movie seems like more of a distorted clip reel than anything actually meaningful or representative. I can understand finding the movie slow or morose or bleak, or not interesting enough to want to watch a second time, but your intent not to give it any credit seems like you're just digging your heels in for vague or confused reasons. But whatever, I'm used to heavy-handed and unsubstantiated criticisms from you, basically a nebulous feeling masquerading as an argument, I've learned not to give them much weight.

It's hard to convey tone on the internet, I can't say that and not sound like a cunt, but I just find it kind of exasperating.

Ambitious

noo...

why? dont worry about going alone ,you could go there and met new people, :(

you look great, and thats a really awesome scarf

Reading my post again, I realized it was a bit ambiguous. I did actually go there. See the rest of this post.

I'm really sorry to hear that. What happened?

Shame. :( What happened?

There's a few people I know from a meetup group. "Know" in the sense of: I know their names, some of them might possibly even remember my name, but we never really talked. They were planning to walk behind the car of a related organization, so I asked whether I could join them. I could, of course, but just like the two meetups I attended, after saying Hello I was basically on my own again. They had fun, and I just silently trotted along. I felt uncomfortable and was nervous, so I found myself unable to talk to them, and they sure as hell didn't approach me either.
A few times, I walked ahead or fell back to see other cars, but again, I can't just approach random people. I can't do this. Especially not in the bad mood I had already.

So that's how I spent the majority of the day. Walking alone close to their group, watching other people dancing, hugging, kissing, having fun.

I actually planned on meeting a girl from OKC at the parade. She wasn't 100% sure whether she would come, and I wasn't 100% sure whether she actually considered it a date as I did, or just a platonic meeting. But she was really great, and it would have been my first date ever. I was cautiously optimistic.
Finally, she texted me. Said she arrived at the parade, but she was too tired to participate, so she was just gonna watch us pass by. I asked for her exact location, but I wasn't able to find her at the place she mentioned. After a while, she said she was on one of the party trucks. So much for being tired, eh? Again, I asked for the location or the number of the truck, but she only replied that she was supposedly looking for me. At some point, she started to use "we" instead of "I", so someone was with her. Maybe eben her boyfriend? (She's in an open relationship)

I gave up searching and resumed walking. After a while, I felt like the last bit of hope or optimism had been sucked out of me, so I just sat down at the sidewalk, watching the parade. Thousands of beautiful, colorful people of all genders and orientations passing by, having the times of their lives. And I was as lonely as ever. I could barely hold back my tears. When all cars had passed by, I took off that fucking rainbow scarf and went home and cried for an hour.

While walking home, the girl texted that she was already home, resting, and asked how the parade was for me. "Waste of time", I replied bitterly. Haven't heard from her since then.

This was the fourth time I tried to socialize and find friends this year. Just like the last three times, it ended in a disaster that will haunt and depress me for a very long time.

Who?

Oh no, don't cry. Do something that will help cheer you up. Watch Adventure Time (Works for me, lol).

I find pride pretty boring alone. Most people go with friends, and aren't really looking to make new friends. You might meet people at a bar, if you're social enough (I'm not), and the people around you at the parade may be friendly, but you won't find anything lasting. Could still make for a fun day, but you'd need to be pretty social for that. But if you aren't, don't fret because theres other, less intimidating ways to have fun. Have you looked into a rec league? Maybe an LGBT boardgame night? Those will help you meet people and make friends, in a much easier fashion than the high-paced pride festival. Then, next year, you can go with the friends you will have made.

My first pride was a bit of a letdown because I went alone, so I can kind of relate.

Again, I'll reiterate that if you don't like something about yourself, its up to you to change it. Its okay to feel down for a bit, but don't stay down. Push yourself to get out there. It will suck. It will be hard. It will be uncomfortable. But it gets easier, and the payoff will be worth it. This isn't a change that will happen overnight though, so just keep that in mind.

I don't feel like doing anything at all today. I literally won't do anything today. I feel like shit.
I'm not social enough for visiting bars.
It gets easier? When?

edit: This day is a nightmare. I feel physically ill. I realized that now that the pride is over, I have nothing to look forward to anymore. It was the only thing I kept thinking about. And now there's literally nothing. Soon, the semester will be over, and then I won't even see university colleagues anymore. I cried again. I just found a nice-looking gay bar here in town, but I'm too scared to go. If I did, I would probably screw it up again. I'd sip a drink for an hour and then go home without talking to anyone. I seriously need help.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oh dude, thank you so much! I'm so happy you've enjoyed it! What brought you to it, if you don't mind me asking?

And you're partially right, about the song titles, haha. When I'm producing, my initial ideas and melodies tend to just be about 5-10 seconds long, but I never save them without giving them a proper name first. All of them, aside from the initial track, Currents, started out with the names they have now! I think I've got a knack for keeping the vibe of a song consistent with the title. I'm glad you felt a similar way :) thank you again for listening!

resonance is my fave

I found it on Twitter! Your account with all the music links was actually in the "Who to follow" thing on the side.

That's....actually kind of amazing~ I'm looking forward to hearing more from you in the future :)

Golnei

resonance is my fave

That approach is interesting, I'm really impressed you can nail down the kind of mood and tone you want for a finished track just from your first, roughest drafts. Especially since my own ones lie around incomplete and directionless for years more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom