• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
hqstA4p.gif
raw

It begins . . .

Blue Jasmine was a better movie.

Tuck

Reading my post again, I realized it was a bit ambiguous. I did actually go there. See the rest of this post.

There's a few people I know from a meetup group. "Know" in the sense of: I know their names, some of them might possibly even remember my name, but we never really talked. They were planning to walk behind the car of a related organization, so I asked whether I could join them. I could, of course, but just like the two meetups I attended, after saying Hello I was basically on my own again. They had fun, and I just silently trotted along. I felt uncomfortable and was nervous, so I found myself unable to talk to them, and they sure as hell didn't approach me either.
A few times, I walked ahead or fell back to see other cars, but again, I can't just approach random people. I can't do this. Especially not in the bad mood I had already.

So that's how I spent the majority of the day. Walking alone close to their group, watching other people dancing, hugging, kissing, having fun.

I actually planned on meeting a girl from OKC at the parade. She wasn't 100% sure whether she would come, and I wasn't 100% sure whether she actually considered it a date as I did, or just a platonic meeting. But she was really great, and it would have been my first date ever. I was cautiously optimistic.
Finally, she texted me. Said she arrived at the parade, but she was too tired to participate, so she was just gonna watch us pass by. I asked for her exact location, but I wasn't able to find her at the place she mentioned. After a while, she said she was on one of the party trucks. So much for being tired, eh? Again, I asked for the location or the number of the truck, but she only replied that she was supposedly looking for me. At some point, she started to use "we" instead of "I", so someone was with her. Maybe eben her boyfriend? (She's in an open relationship)

I gave up searching and resumed walking. After a while, I felt like the last bit of hope or optimism had been sucked out of me, so I just sat down at the sidewalk, watching the parade. Thousands of beautiful, colorful people of all genders and orientations passing by, having the times of their lives. And I was as lonely as ever. I could barely hold back my tears. When all cars had passed by, I took off that fucking rainbow scarf and went home and cried for an hour.

While walking home, the girl texted that she was already home, resting, and asked how the parade was for me. "Waste of time", I replied bitterly. Haven't heard from her since then.

This was the fourth time I tried to socialize and find friends this year. Just like the last three times, it ended in a disaster that will haunt and depress me for a very long time.

I don't feel like doing anything at all today. I literally won't do anything today. I feel like shit.
I'm not social enough for visiting bars.
It gets easier? When?

edit: This day is a nightmare. I feel physically ill. I realized that now that the pride is over, I have nothing to look forward to anymore. It was the only thing I kept thinking about. And now there's literally nothing. Soon, the semester will be over, and then I won't even see university colleagues anymore. I cried again. I just found a nice-looking gay bar here in town, but I'm too scared to go. If I did, I would probably screw it up again. I'd sip a drink for an hour and then go home without talking to anyone. I seriously need help.
I think... you might be looking in the wrong place. IMO, Pride itself isn't the place to make friends. Neither is a bar. The people you meet there are fleeting - you might be friendly with them for a few hours, but then they're gone. And if its difficult for you to ask them for a number so you can see them again, then you'll never get to develop the relationship more.

Thats why I say go for rec leagues and clubs. Because you'll see the same group of people on a relatively consistent basis. So it won't matter if the first or second time is super hard, because you'll have a third, and fourth and fifth try, and it will get easier. There is less pressure, and people go there with the purpose of meeting friends, so they are more open.

Bladenic

I haven't seen that. What did you like about it?

I remember liking Blue Jasmine but I didn't actually think it was an incredible film or anything. It's a decent movie elevated by Cate Blanchett's ridiculous and insane performance. The rest of the performances are good as well, and it's quite tragic and hard to watch overall.

Your memory of the movie seems like more of a distorted clip reel than anything actually meaningful or representative. I can understand finding the movie slow or morose or bleak, or not interesting enough to want to watch a second time, but your intent not to give it any credit seems like you're just digging your heels in for vague or confused reasons. But whatever, I'm used to heavy-handed and unsubstantiated criticisms from you, basically a nebulous feeling masquerading as an argument, I've learned not to give them much weight.

It's hard to convey tone on the internet, I can't say that and not sound like a cunt, but I just find it kind of exasperating.

SMHhoKX.gif

Astral Dog

Sure you can. All you need is a shovel :)

okay that was dark even for me

edit:
that's not a slam on you Blade, just a Heath's dead joke. Just reread my post and had to clarify.
Well if your into that.

"Why can't I quit you" is not what I would call good writing.
oh god, RIP Heath
No LGBT but they showed the old comedy 10 things i hate about you on TV and i got so nostalgic, he was such a charming man.:(

Brockeback Mountain was..ok,i guess,a bit boring imo.
got addicted for awhile to those melodramatic gay shorts on Youtube. but otherwise dont know much about lgbt films.

Reading my post again, I realized it was a bit ambiguous. I did actually go there. See the rest of this post.

, im sorry sounds like you had a really, really bad time, shitty of them for leaving you like that and the other girl barely looked for you, and leaving college...i know how it feels really devastating to feel lonely just before leaving.
im probably far from the best person to be giving advice but, dont feel sad, you tried to go, you made a big effort to go to that place and that counts.sounds like you need a bit of help, have you tried to go to a psychologist? dealing with social anxiety is very hard but it might be better if you dont have to work alone.

go out there, there are many chances every day to meet new people, and some will make you happy, others not so much but dont let a pride parade be the only event worth looking for, you can do far more than you think.

Pyrokai

Spent my entire Friday and Saturday enjoying the Columbus Pride Fest. Truly amazing. Parade lasted like 4 hours, and then the festival was basically all weekend. About 450,000 estimated participation, and second largest in the Midwest (we're coming for you, Chicago!) So proud of my city <3

But after about 2 days of partying, I'm completely wiped out. Got sunburn in places I didn't even know sunburn could happen and that's WITH gallons of sunscreen. Also didn't quite realize I could sweat so much!

And even though it's another beautiful day, after the high that was yesterday today feels like such a downer : p

Salarians

Even confirming whether or not your game will have LGBT characters of import (when asked!) is enough to set some people off. Ugh.

For the record the first Dishonored did have a relatively minor gay male character, but it was "subtle" to say the least (you'd only find out by using the heart on him, an item that gives you vague information about the person you're aiming it at). I think most people didn't even know.

I don't know if it's mentioned in the DLC or not (still haven't finished it) but Daud's second in command, Billie Lurk, was confirmed to be bi and it seems she may be reappearing in the sequel.

Razmos

I've been on a few dates with an American guy recently, and it was his birthday yesterday so we ended up meeting for drinks, soon enough this led to us cuddling on a couch before he walked me back to the train station. It was then that I noticed I had lost my ID and so we walked back. We couldn't find it, so he walked me back to the train station again but he could tell I was really stressed and anxious about it, so he stopped me, turned me to face him and he comforted me, and then kissed me and started holding my hand.

And we walked all the way through the city holding hands. And this is something that has always terrified me, and considering that it's a football (soccer) weekend as well... it was just so nice though. I kept thinking people were going to stare, but they didn't. Nobody really seemed to notice.

I'm really starting to feel like I'm connecting with my.. identity as a gay person now and embracing it. It feels good

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I've been on a few dates with an American guy recently, and it was his birthday yesterday so we ended up meeting for drinks, soon enough this led to us cuddling on a couch before he walked me back to the train station. It was then that I noticed I had lost my ID and so we walked back. We couldn't find it, so he walked me back to the train station again but he could tell I was really stressed and anxious about it, so he stopped me, turned me to face him and he comforted me, and then kissed me and started holding my hand.

And we walked all the way through the city holding hands. And this is something that has always terrified me, and considering that it's a football (soccer) weekend as well... it was just so nice though. I kept thinking people were going to stare, but they didn't. Nobody really seemed to notice.

I'm really starting to feel like I'm connecting with my.. identity as a gay person now and embracing it. It feels good

What happened to that guy from work or whatever?

Tuck

Nice.

Well, I mean aside from the whole "Losing your ID" part.

Horan19

Neo Member
If we're still discussing gay movies and biopics then, even if the actual topic of the film isn't homosexuality or the gay experience, the indisputable GOAT is Lawrence of Arabia.

Also, Hi everyone! Been lurking around GAF for a while, and I figured it was time to start posting.

IBQ:

Your gender? Male

Your sexual orientation? Gay

Where Are You From/Live? Vancouver, B.C.

How Old Are you? 25

Favorite Type of Music?
Classic and Modern Rock, Classical

Profession or Career interest?
Finishing up a degree in history. The intent was to teach, but I might be getting an article published, so we'll see where things go.

Favorite video game(s)?
The PS1 era Final Fantasy games hold a special place in my heart, but these days it's mostly Paradox strategy games, the rare big RPG like the Witcher, and, unexpectedly, a bit of Overwatch. Looking forward to Deus Ex and Dishonoured.

What are your hobbies (other than gaming)?
I cook, read a fair bit- mostly literature and history, love old movies, and, on rare occasion, also like to hike, fish, and ski.

IvorB

In Hamburg for a meeting and had a really nice steak just now but it's not the type of German beef I was hoping for :-(. These German men are really hot. Gonna have to come back at some point. Waste of a good hotel room too. Fuck my life.

theecakee

The LGBT DISHONORED 2 thread is a mess

Didn't realize that was still going.

Maybe I should play Dishonored 1.

You should, really fun game I thought.

If we're still discussing gay movies and biopics then, even if the actual topic of the film isn't homosexuality or the gay experience, the indisputable GOAT is Lawrence of Arabia.

Also, Hi everyone! Been lurking around GAF for a while, and I figured it was time to start posting.

IBQ:

Your gender? Male

Your sexual orientation? Gay

Where Are You From/Live? Vancouver, B.C.

How Old Are you? 25

Favorite Type of Music?
Classic and Modern Rock, Classical

Profession or Career interest?
Finishing up a degree in history. The intent was to teach, but I might be getting an article published, so we'll see where things go.

Favorite video game(s)?
The PS1 era Final Fantasy games hold a special place in my heart, but these days it's mostly Paradox strategy games, the rare big RPG like the Witcher, and, unexpectedly, a bit of Overwatch. Looking forward to Deus Ex and Dishonoured.

What are your hobbies (other than gaming)?
I cook, read a fair bit- mostly literature and history, love old movies, and, on rare occasion, also like to hike, fish, and ski.

Hey welcome, what's your article about?

Razmos

What happened to that guy from work or whatever?
He told me he was still in love with his asshole ex and said that he was "making an effort" and that he wanted to get back with him if it would make him feel better and break him out of his self-destructive spiral. He was an absolute mess.

Then he stopped talking to me and stopped working there without even saying goodbye. I fell for him really hard lol, always a bad idea

Aww that's so awesome! :)

Dany

Banned
In Hamburg for a meeting and had a really nice steak just now but it's not the type of German beef I was hoping for :-(. These German men are really hot. Gonna have to come back at some point. Waste of a good hotel room too. Fuck my life.
Waste of a hotel room?? Cuz you didn't have sex in it?

The LGBT DISHONORED 2 thread is a mess

It really is the perfect thing to read when you need to see the bullshit double standards at play when it comes to writing.

All those subtle (and not so subtle) implications that the only "good" way to write a LGBT character is by making it so vague it's practically invisible.

Salarians

Maybe I should play Dishonored 1.
Try it. It's a really fun stealth game with a unique world and atmosphere. Finishing the game without killing anyone was super satisfying.

It really is the perfect thing to read when you need to see the bullshit double standards at play when it comes to writing.

All those subtle (and not so subtle) implications that the only "good" way to write a LGBT character is by making it so vague it's practically invisible.
People still denied that the two gay characters in The Last of Us were gay even after being shown a tweet from the writer/director of the game that confirmed it. But if you have more explicitly LGBT characters (because apparently two people of the same gender kissing isn't explicit enough for some people), you get the "shoved down your throat" complaints. There's no winning with some people.

Do you all ever get the feeling of "I need to watch some queer identity-affirming media ASAP"? For a few days, I've had the urge to watch a gay-themed film. For whatever reason, I'm craving some larger-than-life visual representation.

Yes, all the time.

Please tell me about queer things I can watch.

Invisible to the point where they can then call you out on reading into stuff too much when you try to argue they are LGBT.

Or Kanji of Persona. Granted I think eventually the creators said he wasn't gay, but you had people arguing long before that was ever stated simply because the G word was never explicitly used.
Regardless, he was questioning for a period of time and putting up with homophobia.

Or Kanji of Persona. Granted I think eventually the creators said he wasn't gay, but you had people arguing long before that was ever stated simply because the G word was never explicitly used.

Kanji's character was focused pretty firmly on the Questioning phase of sexually, so I can understand disagreements happening with him, the game wasn't even conclusive on what he thought of Naoto.

Edit: Oh, man I just remembered all those arguments about the nosebleed scene back in 2008, crazy times

I bought Dishonoured 1 on PS4 yesterday since it was $20 AUD. Also Elder Scrolls Online which was $12. Both were good prices to take a chance on.

Horan19

Neo Member
Hey welcome, what's your article about?

Thanks!

As for the article, the short version is that it's based on research I did about Japanese Canadian immigrants and the First World War. In particular, it dealt with their motivations for fighting and what we can learn from the memorial their community erected in 1920, which is the only one of its kind in North America. I found it was interesting because of how political it was: the organization that sent off the recruits said explicitly that the men they were sending off went to fight for &#8220;rights here at home&#8221; (Asian people did not have the vote in the very racist early 20th century British Columbia). The memorial was also very interesting, because what they ended up building, and the way it was built, highlighted how far the community was willing to go with the (in this case actually very successful) strategy of respectability politics.

Salarians

Yeah. Now we have someone "joking" about this causing them to do a high chaos run. For those of you that don't know, a high chaos run is when you kill a lot of people.
I... this is bad enough on its own, but the timing? What the fuck is wrong with people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom