• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dex

I'm not.

You Pokecunts can just fuck right off! :D

7nxieng.jpg

Ambitious

I was planning to spend a few days on the countryside this week, but as my gas boiler still hasn't been fixed, I can't. It's leaking. I put a bucket below it, of course, but it only lasts for approximately two days. So that's the longest period of time I can leave the city.
The plumber told me the required replacement part should arrive "in a few days", but that was almost two weeks ago. Fuck this.

Oh, and the assholes from the construction site started to drill at my wall at 7am today.

mantidor

I'm not playing Pokemon Go either but I love the reactionary messages from some in my social feeds, it's game of thrones all over again, I feel compelled to post that image of an angel that gives a paper to some angry guy that only says "OK".

Ambitious

On my way home from another interview. The good news is that the company's atmosphere is very friendly and personal, they're paying well and the chance that they hire me is about 95%. The bad news is that the work sounded incredibly boring.

On my way home from another interview. The good news is that the company's atmosphere is very friendly and personal, they're paying well and the chance that they hire me is about 95%. The bad news is that the work sounded incredibly boring.

Sounds like the pros outweigh the cons, and I'm happy that it went really well! :)

Don't despair, in any case! There's plenty of ways to make work fun, right?! :)

It's good! a job might be boring you you can give a lot of yourself to improve how you perceive it n.n just keep it up and best of luck! :D

(my job is pretty boring too hahaha but I do my best to improve it )

Once the summer is over I'm going to scrap together a resume and start applying for CompSci internships.

If I don't get any I've no idea what I'm going to do with myself.

Idk I feel like I'm setting myself up for a really boring and meaningless life trajectory.

Is it too late to become something like a nurse and provide medical care in remote developing countries? I do have a bio degree but probably missed a few prerequisites for most nursing programs.

Though honestly idk if I really want to do that.

There's an irony in longing for the simplicity of a hunter-gatherer type existence when you know you wouldn't be alive without the social and technological changes brought about by the development agriculture.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Idk I feel like I'm setting myself up for a really boring and meaningless life trajectory.

Is it too late to become something like a nurse and provide medical care in remote developing countries? I do have a bio degree but probably missed a few prerequisites for most nursing programs.

It's definitely not too late. There are post-bac pre-med and nursing programs designed for that, if you decide that's what you want to do.

You're like mid twenties, the only thing it's too late for is pledging to the right fraternity.

Honestly if you're considering something like that then do some volunteer work. For a lot of jobs it can be hard to tell if you're going to like it, but prospective opportunities for something like that are just sitting on the table for anyone to take.

There's an irony in longing for the simplicity of a hunter-gatherer type existence when you know you wouldn't be alive without the social and technological changes brought about by the development agriculture.

People don't have the vocabulary to express their dissatisfaction with their life now, and idealization of the past in some form is so ubiquitous you could practically consider it a part of human nature. I guess 'progress' is a pretty easy mantra to bandy around (and on the other hand, so is 'simplicity'). I don't so much go for romanticizing the past like that, but for my part I can be kind of ambivalent about the apparent civilizing effect of modern societies. I mean you can read Aristotle or something and get the impression that we're really no smarter now than we were then, more 'sophisticated' maybe, but that sophistication hasn't changed the core of our being in any meaningful way. Granted someone like Aristotle is coming from the agricultural era, but I can sort of understand the sentiment that motivates people to say that we're 'no better off'. What 'the good life' is is a complex and open-ended question, and progress is kind of an ambiguous idea if we're just passively caught in the tide of progress.

Ambitious

Sounds like the pros outweigh the cons, and I'm happy that it went really well! :)

Don't despair, in any case! There's plenty of ways to make work fun, right?! :)

It's good! a job might be boring you you can give a lot of yourself to improve how you perceive it n.n just keep it up and best of luck! :D

(my job is pretty boring too hahaha but I do my best to improve it )

I guess I should be happy, but... man, it sounded so goddamn boring. It's an IT company, by the way. They're mainly working on an online tool for insurances. I'd describe it in more detail if I could, but Jesus, when he started talking about it I barely managed to stay awake. Seriously.

Of the five companies I applied at, there is one that is simply amazing. Extremely interesting technologies and challenges, great workplace atmosphere, many cool of perks and so on. In fact, that company won a truckload of prestigious "Best Employer" awards. I want to work there so badly.
However, their recruiter is on holiday right now. She's gonna return next Monday. When she's back, I'm gonna have to take a programming test which will take several hours, and finally there's of course the interview. They're looking for someone really talented, and I don't think I am qualified.

So my problem is: If I take my chances with that company, the whole process will take at least two more weeks. Of course, I'm not the only one who applied at the company I had my interview today, so it's quite possible that job will be gone by then.

In short:
1) Accept the offer for a boring, possibly mind-numbing job at a cool company
2) Take my (presumably low) chances of getting an amazing job at an incredible company, at the cost of job #1.

Once the summer is over I'm going to scrap together a resume and start applying for CompSci internships.

Saw your post in the programming thread. Do not be discouraged by your fellow student's skills. You will always meet people way better than you.

It's a bit ironic for me to say this, considering I tend to compare myself with people with superior skills, which can of course be pretty depressing. My very own Github/Bitbucket profiles are pretty empty too, by the way. Just a bunch of uni projects. Nothing of value. And not a single open source contribution. I feel so bad about it.
However, since the past semester I'm working as a tutor again. It's for a programming-heavy course of my Master's Program. I had to grade student assignments. And seriously, it was shocking. As it's a Master's course, I expected a certain minimum level of quality, but a huge bunch of the assignments were complete and utter shit. Barely working, over-engineered crap full of dead code and random indentation and braindead variable names. Nonsensical structures, no understanding of the actual tasks, no fucking version control, and some of them didn't even compile out of the box because of syntax errors. How the fuck do you complete a mid-size project and submit it with fucking syntax errors? Bloody hacks.

So, uh, what I'm trying to say is: Don't assume everyone around you is a genius, because most of them are probably not.

Astral Dog

It could not be what you imagined, so now you are verry worried mr. Burrito, keep in mind life has so many paths, some better, unexpected, different ,never forget to keep an open mind with a bit of posivity and you may find end surprised.

Good old life crises

Crayons

Banned
Ohhhh dear it finally happened. I matched with a guy on Tinder I went to high school with. Neither of us were out in high school.

The conversation is pretty awkward already

Was at a gay bar which was having a fundraiser for the pulse victims. Had shows one of which called bearlesque, that was fun and made out with one of them.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Ohhhh dear it finally happened. I matched with a guy on Tinder I went to high school with. Neither of us were out in high school.

The conversation is pretty awkward already

I had that happen once. Or rather, I saw them pop up on Tinder and swiped left so fast because I didn't want deal with it. :p But I'd also heard some negative things, so I figured it wasn't worth it anyway.

Crayons

Banned
I had that happen once. Or rather, I saw them pop up on Tinder and swiped left so fast because I didn't want deal with it. :p But I'd also heard some negative things, so I figured it wasn't worth it anyway.
I swiped right because I wanted to see if he swiped right. And he did.
We met in drama class

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom