• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salarians

Obligatory for new page.

Not sure why no one is taking him up on the offer.
eI4u8cs.gif

Frodo

I've read Holding the Man and I'm devastated.

I need some happy ending gay story/book/ film/whatever to cheer me up, please.

JCX

For those here who are/have been in a same-sex relationship, did you meet your partner in life or via a dating app? Most of the gay couples I know met via apps, which makes a convincing argument for me not to uninstall them.

Tuck

The one boyfriend I've had, I met in real life.

Every other date I've gone on, every other guy I've spoken to has been on an app.

I still have no idea how people find boyfriends. There must be some trick to it, but it keeps eluding me.

On that note, some guy on tinder asked me out. Lets see if it actually happens lol. I think... 3 times now, I've made plans with someone online, they act all excited and then they start ghosting a day or two later. Its weird.

Alrus

For those here who are/have been in a same-sex relationship, did you meet your partner in life or via a dating app? Most of the gay couples I know met via apps, which makes a convincing argument for me not to uninstall them.

Met in real life at some university party or something, we knew each other for say 6 months before we ended up dating (I honestly didn't find him very attractive from a superficial point of view at first but in the end I started falling for his humor and constant happiness, he made me laugh at times where I wasn't feeling good about myself).

Of the few friends in long term gay relationship I know, one met through university and the other met through instagram (after years of failing to find anything meaningful through regular dating apps).

I honestly don't know a single long lasting couple (gay or straight) that met through Tinder or Grindr so far. Most couples I know met in real life and went through the usual "ended up drunk one night, hooked up then decided to keep going afterwards" kind of way.

Dany

Banned
Dating apps! Or gaf haha

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I met my duder three years ago on OK Cupid, although I recognized him from the gym we were both going to at the time -- that was my opening for conversation. The people I went out with prior to him were from OKC as well; I never had any bad dates from there, most were enjoyable at a minimum, but none of them felt particularly special until this one.

Zero²

Internet chat room, then proceed skype. 2 years 4 months and counting :)

Kevyt

I missed you seath you were the only Mexican I can talk trash about directly
How's the job. Are you having fun

Yup, same, lol.

I'm on discord more often now though, and good to see you around, glad the flood didn't kill your computer :p

I met my ex-boyfriend in real life, not online since the only dating site I have ever used was Plenty of fish back in 2012 but never setup an account (like I had no picture or anything I just liked to browse pictures of cute guys lol).

Delio

Most of the boyfriends I have had were in IRC rooms (Or Yahoo chats before they became shit). I did go on a date with someone from okcupid but eh.

JCX

The one boyfriend I've had, I met in real life.

Every other date I've gone on, every other guy I've spoken to has been on an app.

I still have no idea how people find boyfriends. There must be some trick to it, but it keeps eluding me.

On that note, some guy on tinder asked me out. Lets see if it actually happens lol. I think... 3 times now, I've made plans with someone online, they act all excited and then they start ghosting a day or two later. Its weird.

Met in real life at some university party or something, we knew each other for say 6 months before we ended up dating (I honestly didn't find him very attractive from a superficial point of view at first but in the end I started falling for his humor and constant happiness, he made me laugh at times where I wasn't feeling good about myself).

Of the few friends in long term gay relationship I know, one met through university and the other met through instagram (after years of failing to find anything meaningful through regular dating apps).

I honestly don't know a single long lasting couple (gay or straight) that met through Tinder or Grindr so far. Most couples I know met in real life and went through the usual "ended up drunk one night, hooked up then decided to keep going afterwards" kind of way.

Dating apps! Or gaf haha

I met my duder three years ago on OK Cupid, although I recognized him from the gym we were both going to at the time -- that was my opening for conversation. The people I went out with prior to him were from OKC as well; I never had any bad dates from there, most were enjoyable at a minimum, but none of them felt particularly special until this one.

Zero²;214716696 said:
Internet chat room, then proceed skype. 2 years 4 months and counting :)

Interesting set of responses, thanks.

I've been thinking a lot recently about how the dominance of gay dating apps shapes gay dating norms, even for those who do not use them much, if at all.

There are so many insta-no's on dating apps (not even getting into race) - top/bottom? kinks/fetishes? Specific gay subcultures? How hung? and so on

I feel that our dating is framed in the same way that people buy things on Amazon. While this happens with straight apps, the structure of most gay apps discourages writing about yourself and encourages reliance on a bunch of different subtypes with inconsistent definitions.

For instance, I am obese, but also kind of muscular. I have a little body hair, but I wouldn't say I'm hairy. Which gay type am I supposed to identify as?

All of the above wouldn't be as much of an issue if gay apps weren't eroding the physical bars and places where gays used to meet. Unless you live in a college town (while in college) or a few major cities, apps are the dominant way of being able to find other gays. KmA went to a couple gay bars last weekend. Neither was packed, and in both cases we were two of the youngest people there. Heck, I ran into one of my dad's friends at a gay bar a few weeks ago.

This robs people from having an experience like Alrus, where someone can grow on you over time since you meet them as a human person, not a list of requirements.

Anyone else feel this?

I don't use any gay dating apps because I'm fat and while my face is not really the worst, I feel like it's not enough to draw people in tbh.

------
In other news, I just realized that my Social Problems class starts on October, yay!

you don't have a face?
Not one I would ever consider using for a profile picture. I prefer just showing my body. It must be awful to have both an ugly face and gross body. Hot guys seem to be willing to overlook an ugly face, though, at least in my case, so idk. Personally, face is sooooo much more important than body. I don't care how lumpy and dumpy your bod is if you have a cute or sexy face.

@JCX Have you tried the Growlr bear thing? I know you said you're not hairy, but you could probably find someone who wants a big guy to smother them in some hot chocolate.

KmA

All this talk about hookup apps and dating is giving me anxiety lmao. I have a date scheduled this thursday, and when I texted the guy this morning he never responded... I don't know I just feel like if I ever set something up with a guy in the future I feel like he's either gonna lose interest in that time or he'll find someone hotter than me. Gays have a very incredible way of making feel ugly 200% of the time.

Kevyt

Interesting set of responses, thanks.

I've been thinking a lot recently about how the dominance of gay dating apps shapes gay dating norms, even for those who do not use them much, if at all.

There are so many insta-no's on dating apps (not even getting into race) - top/bottom? kinks/fetishes? Specific gay subcultures? How hung? and so on

I feel that our dating is framed in the same way that people buy things on Amazon. While this happens with straight apps, the structure of most gay apps discourages writing about yourself and encourages reliance on a bunch of different subtypes with inconsistent definitions.

For instance, I am obese, but also kind of muscular. I have a little body hair, but I wouldn't say I'm hairy. Which gay type am I supposed to identify as?

All of the above wouldn't be as much of an issue if gay apps weren't eroding the physical bars and places where gays used to meet. Unless you live in a college town (while in college) or a few major cities, apps are the dominant way of being able to find other gays. KmA went to a couple gay bars last weekend. Neither was packed, and in both cases we were two of the youngest people there. Heck, I ran into one of my dad's friends at a gay bar a few weeks ago.

This robs people from having an experience like Alrus, where someone can grow on you over time since you meet them as a human person, not a list of requirements.

Anyone else feel this?

Yes. I feel the same way. I've been critical and reluctant to use dating apps for that matter. You pretty much hit home with your Amazon analogy.

Must have been awkward running into your dad's friend... :p

daripad

I don't use any gay dating apps because I'm fat and while my face is not really the worst, I feel like it's not enough to draw people in tbh.

Me too tbh. Except for Tinder because it uses Facebook but it has never worked for me.

Though now that I know that some people in my town expose people using Grindr, I'm not willing to use it again.

DemWalls

I knew a guy who only realised he was gay in his late 40s / early 50s. Heck, I didn't realise until I was 19 myself. It's less common nowadays as the world has moved on, but still absolutely possible.

Zero²;214549305 said:
I had mine about 18 years old.

I was 20. Pretty much exactly 2 years ago. And even now I tend to flirt with girls just for the sake of the illusion or out of confusion or the need for validation or the sense of finally fitting in or because I like to keep my options open or just for fun or heck I don't even know why. At least I can say without a doubt now that physically I'm def more than 90% on the side of same-sex attraction. (even if I'm romantically very much able to fall in love with a girl etc. but yeah reductive labels suck and all anyway. it's a process)

It's not really a binary thing. There isn't a set time frame where you realise your sexual orientation, though from what I can tell most discover it in their teens.

I've had mine relatively late, around age 17, though that's not nearly as late as 25-30. I feel like a lot of bi people nowadays are just coming to terms with what they are more easily now because it's more socially acceptable now than it's ever been. It's easier to convince yourself that you're not when you still are attracted to members of the opposite sex.

Hi, and welcome to the thread!

Feel free to stick around in here regardless of whether or not you feel like you have something to "contribute". Fresh blood is always a valued thing in our community~

Thank you all for the kind responses. Much appreciated.

All this talk about hookup apps and dating is giving me anxiety lmao. I have a date scheduled this thursday, and when I texted the guy this morning he never responded... I don't know I just feel like if I ever set something up with a guy in the future I feel like he's either gonna lose interest in that time or he'll find someone hotter than me. Gays have a very incredible way of making feel ugly 200% of the time.

I knew someone who hot stood up from a person from Grindr. Most guys on the app are mostly all talk so I hope yours doesn't flake.

But yeah I feel like if you aren't White or Latino(white Hispanics) then you shouldn't really bother because most guys at least in my experience either don't reply to are not invested in making good conversation with you. It really makes minority gays not feel apart of the community especially with the preference excuse. Not a good message to send

Zalasta

Probably not what you're looking for since my story is a bit atypical. I saw my boyfriend in a video of a photo shoot he did a year ago. On a whim I decided to look him up and with some digging I managed to find an email from his Facebook page. We spent about a month corresponding, met over Christmas and the rest was history. All in all it was a stroke of luck how everything happened, since his Facebook was defunct at that time (he said he actually deleted it months ago), and apparently the email I used to contact him with was an account he was locked out of, so he wasn't actively checking it. Lastly, he admitted that I reached out to him at a point in his life where he was actually open to dating a guy, where as he wasn't before. So I guess you could say that I was at the right place at the right time.

A bit of a disclaimer, I wasn't looking for a relationship since there was very little personal information given in the video (I literally just had his name to go with). I merely thought he seemed like an interesting person and maybe he'd be willing to get a conversation going if I hit him up. The idea of dating was only brought up after we decided to meet. Anyway, hope that helps.

KmA

Too muscular. Got dem Godzilla thighs.
library-gtempest-godzilla_1989-gtempest_godzilla_1989_2.jpg

"Too muscular" uhhh ok sis.

I knew someone who hot stood up from a person from Grindr. Most guys on the app are mostly all talk so I hope yours doesn't flake.

But yeah I feel like if you aren't White or Latino(white Hispanics) then you shouldn't really bother because most guys at least in my experience either don't reply to are not invested in making good conversation with you. It really makes minority gays not feel apart of the community especially with the preference excuse. Not a good message to send

I'm not white but most guys who talk to me are like "ummmm what are you?" lmao. A lot of them think I'm Middle Eastern (which I'm not). But anyway I find it super frustrating because the guys who set up dates/hookups/hangouts with me are always initiated by them. They talk to me first. They set up our meeting. And then when the time comes they just disappear... It makes you feel so gross tbh.

JCX

Too muscular. Got dem Godzilla thighs.
library-gtempest-godzilla_1989-gtempest_godzilla_1989_2.jpg

There is no such thing as "too muscular" in my book.

Probably not what you're looking for since my story is a bit atypical. I saw my boyfriend in a video of a photo shoot he did a year ago. On a whim I decided to look him up and with some digging I managed to find an email from his Facebook page. We spent about a month corresponding, met over Christmas and the rest was history. All in all it was a stroke of luck how everything happened, since his Facebook was defunct at that time (he said he actually deleted it months ago), and apparently the email I used to contact him with was an account he was locked out of, so he wasn't actively checking it. Lastly, he admitted that I reached out to him at a point in his life where he was actually open to dating a guy, where as he wasn't before. So I guess you could say that I was at the right place at the right time.

A bit of a disclaimer, I wasn't looking for a relationship since there was very little personal information given in the video (I literally just had his name to go with). I merely thought he seemed like an interesting person and maybe he'd be willing to get a conversation going if I hit him up. The idea of dating was only brought up after we decided to meet. Anyway, hope that helps.

This is a beautiful story :) Doesn't seem typical though, which made it great.

I was more so looking at how most of one's relationships began. I just need to move to one of the 5 cities in the US where it with a large enough gay scene to make apps optional.

Not to brag, but I am a pretty good package deal all around. Solid job, getting into shape, I'm a comedian. I'm more than that stats on an app page.

Dany

Banned
Who watches Person of Interest!?

Marothoning it and OMG THERE ARE SOME QUEERS AS PROTAGONISTS. I LOVE IT SO MUCH.

FYI this doesn't develop until season 3 forward but I am so happy. They're perfect ;_:

Zero²

There is no such thing as "too muscular" in my book.

Not to brag, but I am a pretty good package deal all around. Solid job, getting into shape, I'm a comedian. I'm more than that stats on an app page.
Funnily enough I always liked the funny guys at school, even if I didn't discover I was gay at the time. And I ended up with a funny guy after all, makes you wonder if it was destiny or just me being lucky.
Humor is the best thing about a guy!
And yeah! Bro why don't you live in Brazil, I'd kill for a gay friend to workout with!

Guys can totes be too muscular. They stop looking like a normal human and start looking like a balloon animal. Don't worry, though, no one here is approaching balloon animal status.

JCX

Zero²;214822782 said:
Funnily enough I always liked the funny guys at school, even if I didn't discover I was gay at the time. And I ended up with a funny guy after all, makes you wonder if it was destiny or just me being lucky.
Humor is the best thing about a guy!
And yeah! Bro why don't you live in Brazil, I'd kill for a gay friend to workout with!

plane.gif /s

More than dating, I'd love to have a more gay irl friends. A gay lifting buddy would be so great. Just working out together under the harsh, unending glare of the male gaze.

Guys can totes be too muscular. They stop looking like a normal human and start looking like a balloon animal. Don't worry, though, no one here is approaching balloon animal status.

I guess we weren't meant to be, since I'd like to be at least as big as that guy, if not bigger. <3 big dudes.

Speaking of wanting to look bigger, I always pump up my arms before a stand up show just to inflate my ego a bit lol. I don't think I've shared my stand up here yet, maybe I will tonight after my show.

Kater

Banned
Me too tbh. Except for Tinder because it uses Facebook but it has never worked for me.

Though now that I know that some people in my town expose people using Grindr, I'm not willing to use it again.

That's messed up. :( What about growlr an other alternatives to Grindr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom