• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LGBTQIA+ |OT8| PrEPare Yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, if I'm being honest I think I've only had female friends ever since 5th grade when most boys my age were starting to develop sexual feelings for girls. I kinda got left in the dust as a late bloomer.

In college I sort of made male friends, but none I felt super close to. Except the dude I fell madly in love with.

This is basically exactly what happened to me
except i never got female friends either :'(

Those are all meaningless things, though. I need to be with someone who's intelligent and can talk about things that matter. All the guys I've met have the most banal interests, things like sports and women. Women tend to be deeper and more interested in you as a person.
It seems more like the guys you are meeting is the problem, i have a few guys i know that i can talk to and open up to if needed. And i well tell them also if they ever need anything that im there for them.

Dany

Banned
Those are all meaningless things, though. I need to be with someone who's intelligent and can talk about things that matter. All the guys I've met have the most banal interests, things like sports and women. Women tend to be deeper and more interested in you as a person.
Lol

_Isaac

What things matter that straight men can't talk about?

Alrus

I cannot roll my eyes far back enough at the stupidity of this post.

More on the subject, did you guys (Sai/Dany/others) not lose male friends around the time puberty started?

It seems like it is common. At least it was mentioned as something common in that book that this thread was raving about some time ago. Velvet Rage of whatever.

More on the subject, did you guys (Sai/Dany/others) not lose male friends around the time puberty started?

It seems like it is common. At least it was mentioned as something common in that book that this thread was raving about some time ago. Velvet Rage of whatever.

No, not at all.

I had a close straight friend who I jerked off with during my teen years. Almost all my straight friends knew I was gay, never had any issues coming out. These were the type of guys that still hugged me everytime we saw each other.

Just because a guy is straight doesn't mean he can't be close to another guy or care deeply and emotionally about another guy. My best friend I have now is like this, and I actually feel like it's easier to have this connection with a straight guy than with a girl, personally.

I think you're friends with the wrong type of guys.

_Isaac

I basically lost and gained acquaintances/friends every time I went to a new school like going from elementary to middle school and then high school. I'm sure one of those transitions coincided with around the start of puberty. We still went to the same school it's just for some reason we just stopped talking, and I had to find new people. This was regardless of gender.

No, not at all.

I had a close straight friend who I jerked off with during my teen years. Almost all my straight friends knew I was gay, never had any issues coming out. These were the type of guys that still hugged me everytime we saw each other.

Just because a guy is straight doesn't mean he can't be close to another guy or care deeply and emotionally about another guy. My best friend I have now is like this, and I actually feel like it's easier to have this connection with a straight guy than with a girl, personally.

I never really claimed the bolded. At the very least, the guys at my school and my own interests drifted vastly far apart during puberty. I'm sort of asking if anyone else had a similar experience. Wasn't really looking for "well I never had that experience and don't understand why you did" sort of response. More of a "yes/no"

Yeah kinda.

Like i was the person who would hang out with like every group in middle school, so like nerds, football players, all of the bad kids, the skaters just kinda like everygroup, but i never had that many really close friends. But in highschool it is the opposite i went from everything to a small group of close friends, i much prefer how it is now. Also in middle school i was only called me by my last name by EVERYONE like everyone, then in highschool it stopped because of how large the class size is. But then again this year i have some old people that used to call me by my last name are in my class so i have to hear that again. It was just odd to hear it again after a year of not hearing it.

What things matter that straight men can't talk about?
Certainly not the meaningless things I quoted. If a guy thinks TV shows and most movies are meaningful, I probably wouldn't want to be friends with him. Entertainment has it's place, but let's not pretend like it is meaningful and something we would want to talk about at length with someone. If someone wants to talk about sports, tv, and movies all the time, I'm sorry, but that makes them a dull person.

I never really claimed the bolded. At the very least, the guys at my school and my own interests drifted vastly far apart during puberty. I'm sort of asking if anyone else had a similar experience. Wasn't really looking for "well I never had that experience and don't understand why you did" sort of response. More of a "yes/no"

I wasn't being bitchy in my response, but giving my overall experience in what I had gone through since others had questioned it. It was a catch all response.

Grakl

So do you just dislike everyone

Bah fuck me. I need to drop my bad habit of reading hostility in posts.

Usually if I'm being bitchy, I add in a gif with the response. lol

But anyway, I know my experience aren't typical, but I do think they're important to how I grew up as a young gay male. Sharing a close friendship with a straight guy can be a great thing though, it's just a matter of finding that match of someone who is on the same page and accepts you completely.

One thing I sort of greatly regret looking back on it was not taking advantage of my summer camp experiences.

I really only started developing overt feelings for guys at like age 15 or something. But during the time I was 13-14 there was some kid at my summer camp in the same bunk who most of the other kids thought was gay. They also thought I was gay. And I think they were probably right. The kid was in denial. I sometimes wonder "what if I had been more sure of myself back then." We both lived in Florida. Maybe we even could have started a relationship. Who knows. Summer camp would have been a lot more fun having secret sex.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can understand the sentiment but I'm not sure what are these "important things" you prefer to talk about and how many people exist that talk exclusively about "important things".

I never had a problem with my friends, male or female, straight or gay, growing up, because I am a nerd and my circle were all nerds. I just didn't make friends with the kids who became larval "dudebros", and it was probably because I went to a magnet school so education and background tended to be close to mine, if not necessarily culture.

Sai-kun

Banned

No, I never lost friends of any kind, although I did sort of home in on the types of people I like to be around. I've actually never heard of this being a thing.

Certainly not the meaningless things I quoted. If a guy thinks TV shows and most movies are meaningful, I probably wouldn't want to be friends with him. Entertainment has it's place, but let's not pretend like it is meaningful and something we would want to talk about at length with someone. If someone wants to talk about sports, tv, and movies all the time, I'm sorry, but that makes them a dull person.

You're like 5 years old man. Get some life experience before you start whining about how 'men are'.

No, I never lost friends of any kind, although I did sort of home in on the types of people I like to be around. I've actually never heard of this being a thing.

You didn't bother reading The Velvet Rage when it was being talked about in this thread? Thought you had. My memory regarding you is so off.

Sai-kun

Banned
You didn't bother reading The Velvet Rage when it was being talked about in this thread? Thought you had. My memory regarding you is so off.

I remember a discussion happening in here about it, and maybe I pointed out that I would read it, but I've never read it.

Alrus

I lost friends (both sexes) throughout puberty but it had nothing to do with interests and more to do with me becoming awkward as fuck for a while.

I just can't...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If you grew up in a small rural/suburban, maybe conservative, maybe religious town, I can see how this kind of thing would be very common as your childhood friends all develop along one trajectory, reinforced by their parents' culture and the insularity of the community, while you yourself develop along another.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I never had people to call friends but jump on different groups. Through the years Ive lost contact but there is no hard feelings.

Delio

If you grew up in a small rural/suburban, maybe conservative, maybe religious town, I can see how this kind of thing would be very common as your childhood friends all develop along one trajectory, reinforced by their parents' culture and the insularity of the community, while you yourself develop along another.

Atleast for me going by the neighborhood I grew up in a lot of the childhood friends I had I simply broke away from. They went off to do some...not so good things. Then again I changed a bunch as I got older and my mindset changed from theirs but thankfully I found a lot of people I consider really close friends now despite distance.

Amazing. I'm a total sucker for gamer shirts!

my b for bringing an old post forward, i missed a lot of the talk in here lately! just had to say that you and your shirt are just adorable ^^

Can you be friends with stright guys? I find I have nothing in common with them, so I only have girl friends.

i'm sorry for further dog-piling on you my valentine, but huaah?? so many of my closest friends are straight guys, with barely any of them fitting the "macho sports lovin'" stereotype (but even guys i've met who do fit that stereotype usually have more to offer than just that on the surface level if you get to know them)

either you live in a strange neighborhood or you need to make a better effort and get to know some of the great boys that are out there!

edit: oh yeah, and to add to all the haircuts posted in here i also got one (never really experimented with straight hair before, it's been interesting, not sure how much i like it??)
here is img

edit: oh yeah, and to add to all the haircuts posted in here i also got one (never really experimented with straight hair before, it's been interesting, not sure how much i like it??)
here is img
I really like it.
I want to try to experiment with my hair more maybe i will grow it long this summer, basically for like the first 15 years of my life my hair was a buzzcut and finally i changed it up and grew it out longer and i love it so much more.

i'm sorry for further dog-piling on you my valentine, but huaah?? so many of my closest friends are straight guys, with barely any of them fitting the "macho sports lovin'" stereotype (but even guys i've met who do fit that stereotype usually have more to offer than just that on the surface level if you get to know them)

either you live in a strange neighborhood or you need to make a better effort and get to know some of the great boys that are out there!

here is img
I'm really not interested in making friends, but I'm sure you guys are right to a certain degree.

You look so different with your new hair. I like it a lot. You're very cute. 😍

Vazra

here is img

Looks pretty nice if you ask me. You should be happy with it and if you dont like it remember that hair grows back anyway (unless you go bald that is) haha.

BeesEight

Most of my friends are straight guys. And I'm the "straightest" out of the lot of them--barring the whole sex with women bit, obviously.

So... yeah. I actually don't make friends with women that well. Don't know why. I think you can absolutely be friends with straight guys. It helps if you have absolutely zero interest in them sexually.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Looks pretty nice if you ask me. You should be happy with it and if you dont like it remember that hair grows back anyway (unless you go bald that is) haha.

I was getting my hair cut not that long ago and the hairdresser made that comment—"the nice thing is that it will grow back"—when my hair was clearly thinning quite a bit, and I just kind of looked at them like, "Okay..."

Now I'm blanking on if this story actually happened or if I'm combining multiple memories or not, but I'm pretty sure it did.

You're not here to make friends. You're here to win!
Lol Idk about that. I'm just happy having maybe one or two close friends.
So... yeah. I actually don't make friends with women that well. Don't know why. I think you can absolutely be friends with straight guys. It helps if you have absolutely zero interest in them sexually.
How can you not have sexual interest in them, though? For me, that would only work if they were ugly.

Vazra

I was getting my hair cut not that long ago and the hairdresser made that comment—"the nice thing is that it will grow back"—when my hair was clearly thinning quite a bit, and I just kind of looked at them like, "Okay..."

Now I'm blanking on if this story actually happened or if I'm combining multiple memories or not, but I'm pretty sure it did.

Plot twist :
I'm your hairdresser!

Bladenic

Don't you ever wish you were one of those popular kids who don't have to try?

Meanwhile I'm trying as hard as I can to be friends and do shit with people who can't seem to be bothered so I think I'll go back to being totally friendless 😷

Meanwhile I'm trying as hard as I can to be friends and do shit with people who can't seem to be bothered so I think I'll go back to being totally friendless 😷
No because all of the popular kids are usually assholes.

_Isaac

Yeah it kinda sucks. Some things just come naturally to certain people while the rest of us have to make an extra effort.

BeesEight

How can you not have sexual interest in them, though? For me, that would only work if they were ugly.

>.>
<.<

Well...

Joking aside, my best friend I lived with and he's more like a brother than not so there's that. Otherwise, I don't know. I find when I learn someone's straight I just immediately lose any sort of sexual interest in them. I think it's the mental knowledge of knowing they'd have zero interest in me that makes it easy to reciprocate on the no romance front.

Meanwhile I'm trying as hard as I can to be friends and do shit with people who can't seem to be bothered so I think I'll go back to being totally friendless &#55357;&#56887;

I'll be your friend. Unless... what's your opinion on Frozen?

Meanwhile I'm trying as hard as I can to be friends and do shit with people who can't seem to be bothered so I think I'll go back to being totally friendless &#128567;

Come out to Chicago for Lollapalooza boo. We'll hang out!

It's pretty easy. Someone doesn't have to be ugly for you to not be sexually attracted to them.

Bladenic

Come out to Chicago for Lollapalooza boo. We'll hang out!

It's pretty easy. Someone doesn't have to be ugly for you to not be sexually attracted to them.

Buy my ticket and/or put me up and I shall :)

That actually reminds me that the one time I had 2 people to go with to Bonnaroo I ended up unable to and since then I haven't been able to cuz my friends blow. Still never been to my first festival Rip me

Buy my ticket and/or put me up and I shall :)

That actually reminds me that the one time I had 2 people to go with to Bonnaroo I ended up unable to and since then I haven't been able to cuz my friends blow. Still never been to my first festival Rip me

You have a place to stay and I'll provide transportation. Just get your tickets and bring some money for food/drinks.

Tickets usually go on sale at the end of March and it's 4 days this year. You should totally come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom